Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Warm-up Period

YarisHybrid2016

Is it just me then??? :(

Reset trip "Average mpg"

Drove mainly motorway for 70miles

But, a lot of incline (so a lot in PWR band) at 60-70mph

Got 52mpg :(

Did it again on return journey: 53mpg :( :( :(

you can achieve 70mpg+ providing you are on a flat motorway with speed restrictions down to 50mph for 15 miles. Once you put your foot down however, forget it!

you can achieve 70mpg+ providing you are on a flat motorway with speed restrictions down to 50mph for 15 miles. Once you put your foot down however, forget it!

Lol

I was thinking the same

But THIS thread just gave me "hope" - lol :)

I am determined to find a way to get more Mpg!

Whether I will drive in that 'particular' way - will be another matter ! Lol

So far

My own tests shows driving always in ECO band is best for my car.

Not driven it with the EV nor ECO button presses yet.

Nor tried long enough the "warm up" stages on this thread yet ....

You need a very delicate right foot to achieve any decent mpg unless you are happy to drive soo slowly that arriving before you expire is not a problem. I don't use eco mode and this new Auris averages upper 50's generally. If you have the mk 1 I think it does less generally as the shape is not so wind resistance friendly.

• Like 2

Reset trip "Average mpg"

I should have mentioned that I cap my speed to 60 mph on the clock (56 true) except where it causes too much bunching of other traffic, but as it's mostly dual carriageway, not often a problem.

There are lots of roundabouts on his route, so I lift off very early on the approach, try to time my arrival so I don't stop (keeping a good gap from the car in front helps), try to brake without going past the end of the CHG area on the ECO gauge and try not to enter the PWR area as I accelerate out.

On trips where I cruise at 70 where allowed my mpg drops by 7-10, as it does on wet days, or in the winter.

I change to winter tyres in a week and that seems to slightly harm the mpg too.

When I did the trip last January on a cold, wet, windy day, on winter tyres and cruising up to 70 mph, I got only just over 61 mpg on the computer (so probably about 57 in reality).

• Like 1

Reset trip "Average mpg"

I should have mentioned that I cap my speed to 60 mph on the clock (56 true) except where it causes to much bunching of other traffic, but as it's mostly dual carriageway, not a problem.

There are lots of roundabouts on his route, so I lift off very early on the approach, try to time my arrival so I don't stop (keeping a good gap from the car in front helps), try to brake without going past the end of the CHG area on the ECO gauge and try not to enter the PWR area as I accelerate out.

On trips where I cruise at 70 where allowed my mpg drops by 7-10, as it does on wet days, or in the winter.

I change to winter tyres in a week and that seems to slightly harm the mpg too.

When I did the trip last January on a cold, wet, windy day, on winter tyres and cruising up to 70 mph, I got only just over 61 mpg on the computer (so probably about 57 in reality).

Great advice there Peter. Planning early, light breaking and keeping at 60 on the m way if possible, all these I do too not only in the hybrid but other vehicles too. The more I drive the hybrid the more I like it. I find it very relaxing which in my job is a massive bonus, I have also noticed I am more aware of hazards compared to driving my manual Golf ( shame). However my Golf is more than 14 years old so no naughty tricks on that one.

... However my Golf is more than 14 years old so no naughty tricks on that one.

are you sure?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-34572562

This article on BBC News website claims VW were fined for dodging vehicle tests in 1973!

Blimey. It gets worse. Anyway mines a 2000 one, straight diesel no turbo. Funnily enough mine failed the emission test the other day, surprise surprise. A quick blast up the dual C, a bottle of Forte and it was fine.

Well

A few short journey tests (and resetting the AVERAGE MPG for each trip):

1. This morning 9 degrees with almost no traffic, no hills but plenty of traffic lights and no going into PWR bands for 6 miles (touch the gas peddle to start engine early)

= 54 mpg

2. Home trip, double digit temp, medium traffic, some incline and a few times PWR bands (touch the gas peddle to start engine early)

= 44 mpg

I also realised that whereas in a petrol or diesel, on motorways I get almost 50% to double the normal range (compared with driving in town/country).....but in my Hybrid ...I get the same 400miles range as driving in town/country - is this right?

Is this what they meant by Hybrid not so good on motorways ????? (apart from the Prius of course!)

Is this what they meant by Hybrid not so good on motorways ????? (apart from the Prius of course!)

Not so good is the wrong term in my opinion, its just as good on a motorway as it is in town, where as most other cars are really bad in town, so in comparison the motorway is much better than around town for them for this reason.
  • Like 1

Not so good is the wrong term in my opinion, its just as good on a motorway as it is in town, where as most other cars are really bad in town, so in comparison the motorway is much better than around town for them for this reason.

Cool !

I think 400+ miles on a small tank is excellent (city or/and motorway!) :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thought I check it out from the Toyota website:

>>> YARIS

Combined (mpg) 78,46 mpg Urban (mpg) 85,6 mpg Extra urban (mpg) 78,46 mpg

>>>

Wow, EXTRA is actually lower :eek:

How come no figures for motorway??? :help2:

Quick report. Started car, no warm up did 40 miles, most of which was A roads and M ways. 68 mpg.

Reset. Went to Manchester and back, 160 odd miles, final reading 73.9 mpg.

I'm not going to do the start up procedure. For one. It takes an eternity. For two, I don't think it makes a difference.

It may make a difference to someone who doesn't drive the car very far but, once out, my car stays warm pretty much all day.

From initial start up, once the car gets going ( ice mode) it heats up real quick and by the time I have done 1/2 a mile the car is warm inside, ev mode may take another 1/4 mile to kick in, depending on traffic, weather and all the rest of it.

From my point of view, the warm up period seems a waste of time, but others may find it helps.

Well

A few short journey tests (and resetting the AVERAGE MPG for each trip):

1. This morning 9 degrees with almost no traffic, no hills but plenty of traffic lights and no going into PWR bands for 6 miles (touch the gas peddle to start engine early)

= 54 mpg

2. Home trip, double digit temp, medium traffic, some incline and a few times PWR bands (touch the gas peddle to start engine early)

= 44 mpg

I also realised that whereas in a petrol or diesel, on motorways I get almost 50% to double the normal range (compared with driving in town/country).....but in my Hybrid ...I get the same 400miles range as driving in town/country - is this right?

Well

Did another short test, this time in ECO mode (button pressed)

1. Same morning journey again 9 degrees (but unfortunately had to go into PWR band once = 52mpg

2. Return journey again in double-digit temp (but a slight more aggressive PWR band a few times) = 54mpg :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Interestingly,

as others said, in ECO mode the gas pedal a bit more stiff and less sensitive

I think I like the ECO Mode as an overall for economy - but switch it off for a bit more grunt with a slight drop in MPG... :thumbsup:

Speed is definitely the enemy of fuel economy. The Yaris seems best around 45-50 (I get high 60's/low 70's if I'm able to drive in this speed range).

Put another tank in, and average is still 55 MPG, so I guess for my journeys this is what I'll get pretty much regardless of how I drive. I have definitely noticed however that I am filling up MUCH less than I used to! :D

Individual journeys can get to 72 MPG depending, but I think I offset that with hard acceleration (particular to overtake on dual carriageway).

I'm also still learning how to negotiate hills. I find cruise is a bit aggressive with the throttle when maintaining speed (it seems to add a bit more power then it needs, then backs off, but that seems related to how suddenly the grade changes; gentle changes it is fine). I keep being surprised at how little it takes to climb a hill. In my previous car certain hills would require full throttle just to hold speed, but the Yaris will accelerate rather nicely like that! Of course, that kind of driving kills fuel economy, so I try and avoid it.

I doubt this is unique to me - anyone else find other drivers get annoyed at the slower acceleration to speed? I don't mean driving slowly (40 in a 60 limit) but just ... taking a little longer to get there?

I'm also still learning how to negotiate hills. I find cruise is a bit aggressive with the throttle when maintaining speed (it seems to add a bit more power then it needs, then backs off, but that seems related to how suddenly the grade changes; gentle changes it is fine). I keep being surprised at how little it takes to climb a hill. In my previous car certain hills would require full throttle just to hold speed, but the Yaris will accelerate rather nicely like that! Of course, that kind of driving kills fuel economy, so I try and avoid it.

I doubt this is unique to me - anyone else find other drivers get annoyed at the slower acceleration to speed? I don't mean driving slowly (40 in a 60 limit) but just ... taking a little longer to get there?

I have Cruise Control option in my Auris.

Never used it.

Used to love it as motorway driving to maintain speed and motorway driving was boring!

Now, no chance as keep needing to adjust speed - be it traffic, middle lane hoggers etc

I would switch off cruise when going down hill and uphill - can use gravity and the momentum for both to save fuel (if, not speeding !!! :)

As for slow acceleration...

It depends on the individual, what they want and their background...

My last car was a 2.5 auto and the one before that was a 2.9 manual 0-60 6.sec (official)

So I hate my slow Auris - but then again love it for fuel economy and I driving more sensibly and no road rage - lol

Having said that the amount of drivers 2mm away from my rear bumper and even small slow hatchbacks overtaking me does remind me of how I used to drive ........lol

Speed is definitely the enemy of fuel economy.

That will be due to air resistance.

It increases with the square of your speed.

Which is where the prius has an edge due its low drag coefficient.

...Which is where the prius has an edge due its low drag coefficient.

Especially the T3 & PiP with their 15" wheels and 0.25 CD drag coefficient. According to Toyota the T4 & T Spirit [17" wheels"] = 0.27 CD, which I find quite hard to understand. Means only the T3/PiP are in the top 10 most slippery production cars currently available *

I don't think the frontal area of the Yaris is that much smaller than the Prius, either, it's certainly much bigger than the original Yaris, and a bit bigger than the Mk2. The Yaris is much shorter which presumably makes getting a good drag figure even harder.

* (in case you're wondering, a lot of the so called supercars have surfaces to generate downforce to stick them to the road when being drive insanely - I mean enthusiastically - and consequently have quite poor drag factors)

...Which is where the prius has an edge due its low drag coefficient.

Especially the T3 & PiP with their 15" wheels and 0.25 CD drag coefficient. According to Toyota the T4 & T Spirit [17" wheels"] = 0.27 CD, which I find quite hard to understand. Means only the T3/PiP are in the top 10 most slippery production cars currently available *

I don't think the frontal area of the Yaris is that much smaller than the Prius, either, it's certainly much bigger than the original Yaris, and a bit bigger than the Mk2. The Yaris is much shorter which presumably makes getting a good drag figure even harder.

* (in case you're wondering, a lot of the so called supercars have surfaces to generate downforce to stick them to the road when being drive insanely - I mean enthusiastically - and consequently have quite poor drag factors)

Is it really the shape of the car?

And not that the Prius can run on Battery only for longer?

I confused :(

Why Prius so much more efficient than Auris?

I confused :(

Why Prius so much more efficient than Auris?

Aerodynamics. The Auris has a far worse drag coefficient than the Prius.

I know its 5 years old - but 83mpg really???? :dontgetit:

But I do agree with the traffic build-up behind u :lol::lol: :D :P

I know its 5 years old - but 83mpg really????...

Certainly it's possible under the right conditions.

Don't forget the computed consumption is likely to be about 7% optimistic.

On a wet day like today, with gridlocked traffic, even with my magic TomTom I sat in some awful traffic going to the nearest big town and back, so my 17 mile round trip only saw 56.2 mpg on the Prius computer, which is probably about 52 in reality.

However, on a warm June day this year going gently on a 122 mile trip from Norfolk to Bedford it read 81.6 (really about 75.7), which isn't bad for cruising at 60 ish a lot of the way.

On some journeys, I've seen 80 to 90 mpg on the computer over 20 or so miles.

It's pretty amazing compared to a Fiat 126 I ran for a year in the 1970s - 600cc 24hp 2 cylinder lawn mower engine in the boot, could just manage 60 mph on a fair day and might get low 50s mpg if I was very careful (and made even more enemies than ECO mode in a Prius!). Trying to keep up with traffic I only averages 42 mpg overall!

• Like 1

I know its 5 years old - but 83mpg really????...

Certainly it's possible under the right conditions.

Don't forget the computed consumption is likely to be about 7% optimistic.

On a wet day like today, with gridlocked traffic, even with my magic TomTom I sat in some awful traffic going to the nearest big town and back, so my 17 mile round trip only saw 56.2 mpg on the Prius computer, which is probably about 52 in reality.

However, on a warm June day this year going gently on a 122 mile trip from Norfolk to Bedford it read 81.6 (really about 75.7), which isn't bad for cruising at 60 ish a lot of the way.

On some journeys, I've seen 80 to 90 mpg on the computer over 20 or so miles.

It's pretty amazing compared to a Fiat 126 I ran for a year in the 1970s - 600cc 24hp 2 cylinder lawn mower engine in the boot, could just manage 60 mph on a fair day and might get low 50s mpg if I was very careful (and made even more enemies than ECO mode in a Prius!). Trying to keep up with traffic I only averages 42 mpg overall!

I sat in heavy traffic in my Auris and the computer MPG is abysmal compared with yours....I wondered sometimes if I should have gotton a Prius instead -still....for the money, I did get a lot of Auris car :)

No matter what sort of traffic I'm in I seem to get mid 60s even mid 70mpg ( computer readout) ECO mode and I don't hold the traffic up at all. I even floor it now and again to see if I can get it down but no. All this with the aircon on either cooling or heating. I suppose though that I am driving it on average 80 to 150 miles per day, so no cooling down time so to speak. Customers are amazed at the Auris, not just it's eco credentials but how much of a looker, comfortable and stylish car it is. No one has had a bad word to say about it and some are even considering hybrids themselves as their next car, even some of the executives that travel in it are considering one.

Well

I think I found my idea driving style....

1. No warm up required

2. Start as usual

3. ECO button ON

4. Leave stereo / aircon on if want to

5. Drive as civilised as possible, if need more grunt then right at top of ECO bands

6. If want more GRUNT or uphill, then do not think twice about pressing PWR button - and use leisurely :)

7. Use B position on gearstick for longer than usual (or steep) downhill

Initial AVERAGE MPG has shown I got the BEST figures yet! :) :) :)

And I HAPPY with the driving style too (ECO to save fuel, PWR go have fun!)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links