Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Bonnet Catch Failure At Speed

StoneyAvensis

This happened to me last night. I'd filled the screenwash and (thought) I'd closed bonnet as normal, 60mph on an unlit bypass the bonnet flew up. Luckily it didn't hit windscreen, I slowed down, hit the hazards and navigated through the gap under the bonnet. Wings slightly damaged. Guy at petrol station said it would be grease/gunk on second catch. I've never heard of this with any old car I've owned. Should this be reported to toyota? 

• 3 weeks later...

Took my 2010 Avensis estate to a Toyota dealership last week as the alarm was faulty and kept going off despite changing both key and car batteries. 
Picked up car in rush hour. When I got to the dual carriage way the bonnet flew up, windscreen smashed, bonnet, roof and front wings all damaged. Took it back to the garage. 
Garage say they reviewed CCTV and the bonnet was never opened by them and work on the alarm did not require it. Car has been well maintained, serviced and bonnet catch regularly checked by my Dad (who is a car geek). Bonnet last opened by us between Christmas and New Year prior to a long distance trip. Car was driven down the same dual carriageway on the way to the garage at drop off. So if they didn’t touch the bonnet how/why did this happen? I have bruised knees and the whole thing has shocked me to the core.

• Sad 1

Yep I find these Toyota catches are nothing but junk as on my 2014 one I find I have to spray the living out of it and wiggle it around to free it up I was thinking is there any other way I could put a better latch on if so it won't come up .my last old VW group car had a great bonnet catch that was good 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I have noticed some corrosion issues on my bonnet catch which requires some WD40 to free it up and then grease.  its worth watching out for!

S

• Like 1

60 years ago I saw an American car in the States with the blown back hood.  I resolved to buy only front hinged bonnets and dud so for 35 years.  

How many cars still have front hinged bonnets?

• Like 1

They aren't very common these days, I can't think of any recent cars that have it off the top of my head!

20 hours ago, ShaneK said:

Hi,

I have noticed some corrosion issues on my bonnet catch which requires some WD40 to free it up and then grease.  its worth watching out for!

S

aye mine is the same i claried  mine with krust which is great stuff then after dried in i put on another coat all over it then after that i put on silicone spray over it 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links