Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Low/Strange Boost on 2.0 D4D

MrBenjaminHDM

Any advice for cleaning the valve? I've got a can of brake cleaner, a can of WD40 and an air compressor. Would I need to prime the fuel line after the deed is done?

5 hours ago, MrBenjaminHDM said:

I'll definitely be trying to clean the existing valve and then looking into replacing it if it works. The modified valve seems quite difficult to come by and expensive anywhere I've found it. The original valve is available from a lot of places for around £90 whereas the revised valve is more like £360!

Can either @TomdeGuerreor @Devon Aygo advise what the ECU changes are for the modified valve? Having had a remap done from a third party I would've thought anything Toyota would do might muddle things up. If it's an adjustment to fuel pressure I'm sure the remap company wouldn't have a problem making that change. Is it simply a case of the new valve allows more fuel pressure or is it just engine start fuel pressure that is adjusted?

Thanks in advance.

The software updates are cumulative so include lists of fixes, fare too many to list, but in regards to cold start issues the software update allows higher cold cranking fuel pressures and the modified valve has been redesigned with improved materials & lower internal frictions to prevent the wear and then sticking of the valve

16 minutes ago, Devon Aygo said:

The software updates are cumulative so include lists of fixes, fare too many to list, but in regards to cold start issues the software update allows higher cold cranking fuel pressures and the modified valve has been redesigned with improved materials & lower internal frictions to prevent the wear and then sticking of the valve

I suppose what I should have asked in the first place is: Will this valve function perfectly well without the aforementioned tweaks?

Well the valve was designed for the engines designed power output so should be sufficient. But as Aygo said,  the new updates all for higher fuel preasure which will put more preasure on the valve increasing wear without the new valve and it's new materials and what not etc. 

Might be worth trying to find a second hand valve on eBay?

1 minute ago, lilpopjim said:

Well the valve was designed for the engines designed power output so should be sufficient. But as Aygo said,  the new updates all for higher fuel preasure which will put more preasure on the valve increasing wear without the new valve and it's new materials and what not etc. 

Might be worth trying to find a second hand valve on ebay?

Yeah I've had a look around already. There was one that went for a quid not too long ago. Gutted.

Hahaha ouch! That was just moments ago so there's bound to be more to pop up etc.

As for cleaning.. I'd get an old pair of jeans and clean it with that. Jeans are a rough but won't be aggressive on the metal. As for the wd40; soak the b***h and rinse with water then instantly dry with compressed air and rub with kitchen roll or toilet paper to make sure it's 100% dry. Should do the trick.

I'll certainly try that tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

Thanks for all your help.

Valve cleaned and difference observed. Seemed much better until the plug came out during a spirited drive. Must remember to plug it back in, I'm surprised I got as far as I did... ANYWAY problem seems to have vanished in 2nd and 3rd and lessened in the higher gears. Still present though. 

I can only assume that this points to a new valve.

Would you claim?

Great stuff! 

It probably will point to a new valve. New power comes new parts :-) 

Did the valve just pop out as you were flooring it? Holey moley

Just now, lilpopjim said:

Great stuff! 

It probably will point to a new valve. New power comes new parts :-) 

Did the valve just pop out as you were flooring it? Holey moley

Just the connector... Threw a code and wouldn't go, I thought oh great limp mode. 3000rpm...2000rpm...1000rpm hang on a minute... Stall. Only blocked up the local roundabout whilst I slowly rolled to a safe spot to investigate.

Colossal tit.

Ah right right. I was thinking that but couldn't think a plug would just drop off!

I was thinking the valve just pooped out or something.  Was imagining you rummaging in the engine bay to find it:biggrin:

33 minutes ago, lilpopjim said:

Ah right right. I was thinking that but couldn't think a plug would just drop off!

I was thinking the valve just pooped out or something.  Was imagining you rummaging in the engine bay to find it:biggrin:

Diesel everywhere! Seriously what I was expecting when I popped the hood to be honest. 

Luckily it was just a push, a click and a sigh.

MPG shot up from mid 20s to high 30s with the same, if not more abuse. Weird or expected?

You got miss 20s mpg? *****, what are you doing to the car???

You can expect better fuel economy with these maps etc. Sometimes it's worse but most of the theme it's better, given you don't floor it everywhere. Strange that you're getting high 30's though with more abuse!  I'd do a brim to brim mpg check.

11 minutes ago, lilpopjim said:

You got miss 20s mpg? *****, what are you doing to the car???

You can expect better fuel economy with these maps etc. Sometimes it's worse but most of the theme it's better, given you don't floor it everywhere. Strange that you're getting high 30's though with more abuse!  I'd do a brim to brim mpg check.

"Testing" it...

I think that dodgy valve was causing some pretty strange efficiency issues, mpg on the dash was flying up under hard acceleration and stop start traffic after the clean! Got some BG244 in the current tank as part of trying to fix the issue, will definitely do some testing once I get the new valve and fresh diesel. 

Oooo. Maybe I'll clean my valve then! I need to clean the egr as well saying that.  I got 44mpg on a 90 journey. If I get more wooo!

Is thathere BG244 stuff any good then? 

Couldn't say really I've done so much in one go it's hard to pinpoint fixes. My EGR soots up for fun. Got the car at 35k miles and it coded after a couple thousand, cleared out the lump of coal that had accumulated. 2 years and 20k miles later it was going the same way, breather holes were starting to constrict. After discussing with my regular mechanic we've decided to clean it out as part of regular maintenance every major service.

BG244 has a lot of good reviews and to be fair other than my allegedly wonky valve my fuel system seems clean and the chap that took my cat out said the turbo was pretty spotless. Hard to know really without using a borescope in the cylinders. I don't rate the paper funnel included with it... getting it into the tank was a perilous endeavor to say the least, staff watching on the edge of their seats as I gingerly poured it in.

Nothing wrong with looking after the car in my book. 

24 minutes ago, lilpopjim said:

Oooo. Maybe I'll clean my valve then! I need to clean the egr as well saying that.  I got 44mpg on a 90 journey. If I get more wooo!

Is thathere BG244 stuff any good then? 

This was my best effort on a trip down to Birmingham, milage and mpg from start to finish

IMG_20141227_121350.jpg

12 hours ago, MrBenjaminHDM said:

Diesel everywhere! Seriously what I was expecting when I popped the hood to be honest. 

Luckily it was just a push, a click and a sigh.

Sorry to interrupt while you two guys are shooting the breeze but just curious how a loose electrical connector resulted in diesel everywhere?

Just now, TomdeGuerre said:

Sorry to interrupt while you two guys are shooting the breeze but just curious how a loose electrical connector resulted in diesel everywhere?

I was expecting there to be a leak when I opened the bonnet, there was not, just a loose connector :)

1 hour ago, MrBenjaminHDM said:

This was my best effort on a trip down to Birmingham, milage and mpg from start to finish

IMG_20141227_121350.jpg

The multi information display would be optimistic, so the true mpg will be less .......

I've always used reddex. Got somewhat good results on my very first car which was a 1.3 CDTI. Might try some more in my SR180. Or that BG244 magic juice. 

As for that mpg.. That's crazy.. no way that's real! How were you driving?? Pooling at 50 mph on the motorway 6th gear 900 rpm? :tongue:

3 minutes ago, lilpopjim said:

I've always used reddex. Got somewhat good results on my very first car which was a 1.3 CDTI. Might try some more in my SR180. Or that BG244 magic juice. 

As for that mpg.. That's crazy.. no way that's real! How were you driving?? Pooling at 50 mph on the motorway 6th gear 900 rpm? :tongue:

I had millers in the tank at the time, it was all motorway 70 when I could but 60 in traffic. I was surprised too but I got about 700 miles out of that tank with a little more mixed driving. This was obviously a time before that suction control valve must have begun to fail as I haven't seen 20PSI boost or more than 40s on the MPG since.

DPP seems to work similarly to millers too. BG244 is more of a once in a while cleaner as I understand it has solvents in it. 

All of the above leads me to believe that this SCV has a physical defect rather than just a bit of gunk stuck in it as a bit of lube seems to help a little for a short while, surely one of these various cleaners might have helped to clean it.

Another £250 gone on the conquest for more choo choo.

Valve ordered, we'll know by Tuesday for definite.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links