Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Terrible headlights

Rollo316

As a general rule, with upgrade bulbs like the Optiwhite, XtremeVision Pro, etc, etc, the brighter the bulb the shorter the life. You trade off the extra brightness for a shorter life.

Toyota and all other manufacturers, contract with suppliers for the supply of both original equipment parts and aftermarket parts, and usually sell these via dealers rebranded as Toyota, VW, Ford, etc.

For example I use a Carplay Longarm steering wheel lock that was bought from a Isuzu dealer and rebranded as an Isuzu part.

• Like 2

I can vouch for the Philips Ecovision. They give good light performance and last a loooong time. I installed them on a Yaris 2 in 2018. They're still there pumping out light like new. Good bulbs and they're cheap to buy.

On my Auris currently I've got installed PIAA HyperArros H11. I know they're not very popular, but you know what? They output a nice white light with a very nice range. Sure, there are way better bulbs, but what they give for the price is a lot. For high beams I am thinking of Philips XtremeVision Pro 150 HB3.

• Like 3

On 9/19/2023 at 9:55 PM, FROSTYBALLS said:

As a general rule, with upgrade bulbs like the Optiwhite, XtremeVision Pro, etc, etc, the brighter the bulb the shorter the life. You trade off the extra brightness for a shorter life.

Toyota and all other manufacturers, contract with suppliers for the supply of both original equipment parts and aftermarket parts, and usually sell these via dealers rebranded as Toyota, VW, Ford, etc.

For example I use a Carplay Longarm steering wheel lock that was bought from a Isuzu dealer and rebranded as an Isuzu part.

Yes the interesting thing here is one cannot get the optiwhite spec bulb direct from Philips. It is exclusive to Toyota. You can get brighter ones and dimmer ones (like the Philips eco bulb we are talking about too) but not the exact optiwhite. 

14 hours ago, jcps001 said:

I can vouch for the Philips Ecovision. They give good light performance and last a loooong time. I installed them on a Yaris 2 in 2018. They're still there pumping out light like new. Good bulbs and they're cheap to buy.

On my Auris currently I've got installed PIAA HyperArros H11. I know they're not very popular, but you know what? They output a nice white light with a very nice range. Sure, there are way better bulbs, but what they give for the price is a lot. For high beams I am thinking of Philips XtremeVision Pro 150 HB3.

That is great - good to know someone has first-hand experience of these. Thanks for sharing that. I love this forum for this reason, you usually come across people who been there before. I will get a pair of Philips eco's along with the optiwhites I think and see the difference over the years as I go through them. I was shocked at the 2000 hours lifecycle claim - a bit optimistic I think, lol. 

What came out from the Yaris 2?, as in, what were the original spec bulbs? I am starting to think maybe the Philips eco-bulbs are not the standard factory fit. 

Where did you source the Philips eco-bulbs from? I have not seen them on Amazon, only eBay. I don't think Toyota dealerships offer them. 

17 minutes ago, WazWii said:

Yes the interesting thing here is one cannot get the optiwhite spec bulb direct from Philips. It is exclusive to Toyota.

Philips supply Toyota and use Toyota's own branding. The Philips equivalent is the Xtreme Vision Pro.

Toyota dealers will probably only sell Toyota branded bulbs.

Think you're looking at this in too much detail - just decide whether you want either brighter bulbs or long life bulbs.

Bear in mind that performance of bulbs does deteriorate as they age, so most new bulbs will appear better than existing bulbs.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, WazWii said:

What came out from the Yaris 2?, as in, what were the original spec bulbs? I am starting to think maybe the Philips eco-bulbs are not the standard factory fit. 

Where did you source the Philips eco-bulbs from? I have not seen them on Amazon, only eBay. I don't think Toyota dealerships offer them. 

I removed from the Yaris 2 unbranded really cheap bulbs, they were not original.

The Ecovision bulbs I bought from a very popular online car bulb store you have over there in the UK. It's name starts with the letter "p".

The Philips ecovision bulbs are not white, but they're not too yellow either. Very balanced color temperature. They're very nice.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Philips supply Toyota and use Toyota's own branding. The Philips equivalent is the Xtreme Vision Pro.

Toyota dealers will probably only sell Toyota branded bulbs.

Think you're looking at this in too much detail - just decide whether you want either brighter bulbs or long life bulbs.

Bear in mind that performance of bulbs does deteriorate as they age, so most new bulbs will appear better than existing bulbs.

Yup I am going to go for the brighter ones as I do agree the originals are lacking somewhat. Looking forward to seeing the difference and will report back here. Others have been impressed by the brighter bulb, like yourself. 

I am having both replaced so with the original part from Toyota I have been quoted free fitting as I have bought the parts from them. If I bought my own bulbs for them to fit there would be a £25 charge. Also on the service plan. 

I know you fitted yours yourself. 

5 hours ago, jcps001 said:

I removed from the Yaris 2 unbranded really cheap bulbs, they were not original.

The Ecovision bulbs I bought from a very popular online car bulb store you have over there in the UK. It's name starts with the letter "p".

The Philips ecovision bulbs are not white, but they're not too yellow either. Very balanced color temperature. They're very nice.

Yeah I think I will get a spare set of these. Apparently these have a tougher glass and stronger/thicker filaments. 

• Like 2

I have a 2013 Auris, I complained about the headlights just after purchase The service manager came out put the headlights on then stood in front of the car, so the lights shone on his leg and anouced there's nothing wrong with them.

I looked around and found some HB LED bulbs which fitted, job done, nice clean pattern on the road, no complaints so far.

• Like 2

Philips Xtreemvision, OSRAM original, Hella (€8) are all the brightest at 1870 lumens. I used Hella and it is noticeably brighter than Philips LL bulb. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah I have seen the Hella. Seemed a bit cheap so I left them. I plan on stocking some spares so maybe I will grab a pair of those. They do seem a lot cheaper than the rest. 

@WazWii cheaper are just because of names.  For known bulb brands with 1875 lumens HIR2. Phillips, OSRAM, HELLA are very similar in terms of lifespan. In facts, Philips Xtreemvision.vision  is the worst in rating of lifespan ~ 200 hours instead of 400-500 hours. Yet, it is the most expensive. 

The Philip Longlife Original OEM is impressive 2000 hours lifespan but much weaker 1340 lumens. Thinner filaments for the same watts are always brighter but naturally more brittle. Hella also have midway lifespan 1000 hours with 1500 lumens but only sold in USA. 

The Hella 1875 lumens is made in Korea. Very well made and last at least 2 years since I used it long ago and still works. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Yup so the bulbs (optiwhite) have been fitted. I have driven various roads and can now report back. So basically they are whiter, brighter and in particular I feel they illuminate the sides of the roads much better.

I still feel though that the range (length) is poor. When driving on roads with no lights (particularly country lanes) you wish there was more longer-range visibility. For instance there is no way you could avoid an animal in the roads driving at 50 mph. So I still have to put on the high/full beam. 

I have read that the design of the headlight housing is causing this? The way it was engineered for the modern/fancy external look. Not sure about this though.

Fitting was free from the Toyota dealership although I did not get the 10% discount. Maybe Frostyballs can confirm whether I should have received this as I did think I would have since I am on the service plan.

All in all though good solid upgrade. 

3 hours ago, WazWii said:

Yup so the bulbs (optiwhite) have been fitted. I have driven various roads and can now report back. So basically they are whiter, brighter and in particular I feel they illuminate the sides of the roads much better.

I still feel though that the range (length) is poor. When driving on roads with no lights (particularly country lanes) you wish there was more longer-range visibility. For instance there is no way you could avoid an animal in the roads driving at 50 mph. So I still have to put on the high/full beam. 

I have read that the design of the headlight housing is causing this? The way it was engineered for the modern/fancy external look. Not sure about this though.

Fitting was free from the Toyota dealership although I did not get the 10% discount. Maybe Frostyballs can confirm whether I should have received this as I did think I would have since I am on the service plan.

All in all though good solid upgrade. 

Have you considered these ?

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/bulbs/halfords-advanced-plus200-brighter-h7-477-headlight-bulb-514942.html

Do not waste money on chasing brighter halogen than HIR2 standard 1870 lumens. There is no other Halogen bulbs brighter than those Standard HIR2 OSRAM original, Hella, Philips Xtreemvision, or Optiwhite.  These bulbs are already 40% brighter than original OEM bulb but the lifetime is 1/4 of the Longlife Philips. 

If we want a truly noticeable 2-3x brighter bulb than Philips LL OEM Toyota, then get a good LED such as the V45, Apollo X7, or GTR Ultra 2.  Just choose the cheapest with good warranty. GTR Ultra 2 has a lifetime warranty, but the shipping cost and duty fees can be complicated. 

• Like 1

On 9/19/2023 at 10:45 PM, WazWii said:

That is what is confusing me. The TOYOTA bulb pictured in this thread is made by Philips right? It just seems they do not list it on their website. So it just means they got the exclusive TOYOTA contract. 

The 150 Philips has not enough a lifespan (300 hours?). It seems it was the Philips eco's that were fitted initially at factory with 2000 hours (100,000 KM) lifespan but I got nowhere near this now it seems...

My dealer stated clearly they have a Toshiba. It was charged at a higher rate. 

Toyota use Koito, Toshiba, and Philips bulbs in the past.  My 2016 Auris original brake bulbs and other than headlights are Koito but the headlights bulb is HIR2 Philips Long life.  The lifespan of 2000 hours is under normal condition. If we have bumpy roads and pothole, any halogen bulbs will die faster. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, AisinW said:

Toyota use Koito, Toshiba, and Philips bulbs in the past.  My 2016 Auris original brake bulbs and other than headlights are Koito but the headlights bulb is HIR2 Philips Long life.  The lifespan of 2000 hours is under normal condition. If we have bumpy roads and pothole, any halogen bulbs will die faster. 

I am worried about the lifespan. I do feel my original went out quicker than expected and I feel the road situation is getting a lot worse. There are many problems with the roads here in the UK. 

9 minutes ago, WazWii said:

I am worried about the lifespan. I do feel my original went out quicker than expected and I feel the road situation is getting a lot worse. There are many problems with the roads here in the UK. 

LED has better survivability on rough roads. Almost no effect. Thermal and water is the enemy for LED. AS long as the cooling is good and sealed, it last long with a good chips and components.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, AisinW said:

LED has better survivability on rough roads. Almost no effect. Thermal and water is the enemy for LED. AS long as the cooling is good and sealed, it last long with a good chips and components.

I think in the UK it is illegal to change?

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, WazWii said:

I think in the UK it is illegal to change?

Most bulbs purchasable in say Halfords are marked with the standards for uk and are legal…

some like the “500% brighter” available on certain online marketplaces are not and will get you tugged. 

1 hour ago, WazWii said:

I am worried about the lifespan.

At the end of the day, there is more to worry about in life than how long headlight bulbs will last.

We've had upgrade halogen bulbs in our cars since 1998, and never had one go due to road conditions. 

We've also had upgrade halogen bulbs in our Aygo since 2016 and have changed them once - originally Optiwhites and then Philips Xtreme Vision. Upgrade halogen bulbs have a shorter life than standard bulbs - that is the trade off for having better bulbs.

In the UK, fitting LED bulbs to headlights designed for halogen may mean an MOT fail. 

You said previously you now have Optiwhites fitted, so that should be the end of your issue for now.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

In the UK, fitting LED bulbs to headlights designed for halogen may mean an MOT fail. 

You said previously you now have Optiwhites fitted, so that should be the end of your issue for now.

Yeah I don't want to go down the modification/LED route. 

Yes Optiwhites are in, I got the official TOYOTA box from the dealer (plastic one that houses two bulbs; pictures of which are on this forum thread and other forum posts in this forum).

All is good for now. 

• Like 2

I came across the legislation regarding MOT and headlamps. It's interesting that changing bulbs from Halogen to LED or HID is prohibited but changing the complete headlamp from Halogen to LED or HID is not.

There are two popular alternative light sources that are often fitted to halogen headlights – HID and LED.

But on 11th January the wording in the MOT inspection manual was updated to state that conversion of halogen to either HID or LED bulbs will automatically fail MOT. To quote section 4.1.4 of the MOT Inspection Manual

Existing halogen headlamp units should not be converted to be used with high intensity discharge (HID) or light emitting diode (LED) bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp.

HID lights (high intensity discharge) fitted to halogen headlights have been reason to fail an MOT for a while now, but fitting LEDs has always been a bit of a grey area.

Technically only “E Marked” bulbs could be fitted to headlights, and LEDs do not typically carry such markings. However many would continue to fit them as an alternative for halogen for longer life and greater output.

LED’s are also a cheaper and far simpler alternative to HID bulbs that often require extra work installing additional wiring and ballasts.

Any ambiguity on the rules for LEDs has been put to rest with this clear MOT guidance now though.

It’s not entirely clear on the reasoning behind this new wording – some cite changes stemming from Brexit, others argue it’s just to keep any loopholes closed.

But now it’s important as a motorist that if your vehicle is not using halogen bulbs when it should be, you’d better consider swapping them back as an MOT failure would now be entirely justified.

Existing halogen headlamp units on vehicles first used on or after 1 April 1986 must not be converted to be used with high intensity discharge (HID) or light emitting diode (LED) bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp for light source and lamp not compatible.

This does not refer to complete replacement headlamp units which may be constructed with HID or LED light sources.

If a complete headlamp unit has been replaced with a unit that was manufactured with HID or LED light sources, it must not be failed for ‘Light source and lamp not compatible’ but it must meet all other requirements detailed in section 4 of this manual specific to the type fitted at the time of test.

Interesting why complete headlamp replacement is OK but not bulb replacement.

• Like 2

The reason is simple: fitting in bulbs with LEDs is often unpredictable and can have bad light patterns that can blind others.   It is absolutely true on reflector-type headlights, and I will never ever install LEDs on reflector headlights.  Toyota Auris, Yaris, and Aygo have projector-type headlights with a very sharp cutoff.  Replacing it with LED (very simple) will still have 99% light patterns with sharp cutoff and will never blind others.  Unfortunately, the law in all countries prohibits such replacements.  Some countries are more relaxed about this law, such as the USA and Canada.  I believe it is also legal for projector headlights in Ireland. 

At this moment, not many LED HIR2 bulbs are good. We can only count with our fingers.   Most of them are even dimmer than the original HIR2 PHilips longlife.  So, take it on your own risk and if the MOT guys did not open the headlights cover or we said, the original headlights is actually bi-LED, they may buy it and let you pass.   The brightness and safety benefits of using LED such as the V45 Bevinsee or GTR Ultra 2 HIR2 is higher than the risk being fined or MOT failure. WE can also unmounted for MOT and re-mounted back after MOT. A bit naughty but principlely safe and responsible (not blinding others) is a small sin, but for better safety, in my opinion.  I hit curbs too many times with the very dim original HIR2 bulb. 

I avoid self inflicted accident by replacing the dimm headlights bulbs

• Like 2

So is it safe to assume that it is the cost that prohibits changing the complete headlight to LED.

31 minutes ago, AisinW said:

The reason is simple: fitting in bulbs with LEDs is often unpredictable and can have bad light patterns that can blind others.   It is absolutely true on reflector-type headlights, and I will never ever install LEDs on reflector headlights.  Toyota Auris, Yaris, and Aygo have projector-type headlights with a very sharp cutoff.  Replacing it with LED (very simple) will still have 99% light patterns with sharp cutoff and will never blind others.  Unfortunately, the law in all countries prohibits such replacements.  Some countries are more relaxed about this law, such as the USA and Canada.  I believe it is also legal for projector headlights in Ireland. 

At this moment, not many LED HIR2 bulbs are good. We can only count with our fingers.   Most of them are even dimmer than the original HIR2 PHilips longlife.  So, take it on your own risk and if the MOT guys did not open the headlights cover or we said, the original headlights is actually bi-LED, they may buy it and let you pass.   The brightness and safety benefits of using LED such as the V45 Bevinsee or GTR Ultra 2 HIR2 is higher than the risk being fined or MOT failure. WE can also unmounted for MOT and re-mounted back after MOT. A bit naughty but principlely safe and responsible (not blinding others) is a small sin, but for better safety, in my opinion.  I hit curbs too many times with the very dim original HIR2 bulb. 

I avoid self inflicted accident by replacing the dimm headlights bulbs. 

First fitted hid to projector about 15 years ago. Bought whole projector light units for a car at the time, changed of style and also looks modern. Then found normal halogen bulbs were dim due to the cut off in the projectors. So started the hid use from there. 

Used hid on last car MK3 Yaris for about 5 years, passing MOT no problem, last test were nov'2022. Declared mod to insurance, didn't charge anything extra, great. Would have reflectors light units all day if using halogen bulbs over projectors.

Now have a MK4 Yaris with led so sold the hid units on. The LEDs are good at night when it is not raining, but not good when it does. 6000K temp I don't like, had 4300-5000k on hid previously. 

• Like 1

When you replace the whole housing, the beam patterns are known and calibrated to comply with rules; Swapping LED bulbs in to housings that were not officially tested to comply means they will be more unpredictable, so they just blanket ban them.

It's annoying, but given I get blinded enough by LEDs as it is I'm kinda glad there isn't a wild west of random after market LEDs in older housings!

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links