Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Advice: For buying Gen2/3 Prius

Wayne2015

Cheers Tony

Its no longer a matter of buying a hybrid now...i park my car on the street and the same mostly at work too...my 'cat' already been nicked in the staff car park - so the bottom line is: Yes, I would like another hybrid, but not now - the risks are too high for me (increased insurance, without car for several weeks, even refused insurance - eeeek! 😐)

So, hence looking at Skoda now...

• Like 2

Update:

Looking at the Mk2 Auris 1.2T now

Quite good economy at: 58mpg + £20 tax 👍 

Would have to be pre-Apr 2017 to be lower tax though...

• Like 1

Sorry what happened to you, we also suffered of same trouble with one of ours. Auris 1.2T sounds good to me. VW Golf is a good choice too if you looking for change. This cat thefts are really putting off at the moment.

Regards 

42 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Sorry what happened to you, we also suffered of same trouble with one of ours. Auris 1.2T sounds good to me. VW Golf is a good choice too if you looking for change. This cat thefts are really putting off at the moment.

Regards 

Too much happened, Tony 😞

Last summer, left the office at 4pm, got into my Auris in the staff car park and started the engine "oh my god, where did that motorbike come from?!!! Wait, what motorbike?" Apparently, my 'cat' had been stolen 😞

Claimed insurance, then a SIX week wait for parts from Japan -eeek!

I like my Toyota piece of mind (reliability, cost effective, and only £250 for extended warranty including AA, yes, I can live with the less enthusiastic driving 🙂 )

but, with 'cats' being nicked, there isn't much choice of Toyota motors 😞

so, decided to look outside Toyota, but panic with DSG reliability, Skoda warranties at £700 and diesel future, I decided to look at Toyota again and...

01. Avenis just too uneconomical

02. As is RAV4

03. Yaris just a tad too small

04. Lexus to high insurance

05. Wait what is this Auris 1.2t CVT? 🙂

• Like 1

Hello, I am new to this forum and sadly have also recently had the cat stolen from my 2015 Auris Hybrid, which was parked on a street near where i work in North London.

Despite since having had a catloc fitted along with the new cat and loving the car in all other respects, i now have very little confidence that even with the added protection, the cat won't be stolen again and as such I am seriously considering replacing the Auris with a model less likely to suffer the same fate.

One thought i had was simply to buy an old Corolla as my wife's 2006 auto has been brilliant in terms of reliability but is not very economical.  However, your suggestion of the Auris 1.2t CVT is not one i had considered and could e the answer but one question i have is would this not also be at risk of cat theft or is the cat in the 1.2t located in a different position to the Hybrid version?

Many thanks,

Kevin

1 hour ago, KQ2020 said:

Hello, I am new to this forum and sadly have also recently had the cat stolen from my 2015 Auris Hybrid, which was parked on a street near where i work in North London.

Despite since having had a catloc fitted along with the new cat and loving the car in all other respects, i now have very little confidence that even with the added protection, the cat won't be stolen again and as such I am seriously considering replacing the Auris with a model less likely to suffer the same fate.

One thought i had was simply to buy an old Corolla as my wife's 2006 auto has been brilliant in terms of reliability but is not very economical.  However, your suggestion of the Auris 1.2t CVT is not one i had considered and could e the answer but one question i have is would this not also be at risk of cat theft or is the cat in the 1.2t located in a different position to the Hybrid version?

Many thanks,

Kevin

Hi Kevin and welcome to TOC

Reading online, it seems ALL vehicles are at risk (unless 'cat' is hidden under bonnet), and even with a catloc some still have their 'cat' stolen a SECOND time! 😞

online, claims most at risk are:

1. Gen3 Prius

2. Gen2 Prius

3. Gen2 Auris Hybrid 

4. High vehicles (4x4 and vans)

so, yes the Auris 1.2T is at risk, but "praying" a much much lower risk

what is interesting I noticed is how much more insurance has increased over the years (and with 2 accidents now, my premium will be even higher ) 😞 😞 😞

Thank you Wayne.

i know that the catloc is nothing but a small deterrent and i too have read posts from a few individuals with a Prius (i guess the Auris catloc is the same) who have had it stolen a second time hence, i don't feel very comforted by having one.

It seems that in the southeast all gen2/3 Prius, Gen 2 Auris and also Honda Jazz are being heavily targeted at the moment but I have no doubt that if/when these cats are either all protected (making it a little less convenient for the thieves) and/or have been replaced with less valuable aftermarket cats, the scumbags will then move on to other makes and models.

It's such a shame as the Auris Hybrid has probably been the most reliable and economical car i have owned in 30 years of driving.

If it's an option, might be worth having a catloc fitted to the Auris 1.2T?

I'll have to wait and see what the impact on my insurance will be at renewal later this year but i suspect that despite having protected NCB, they will try and quote a premium that is significantly higher that at the moment.

Hi Kevin

Will I fit a catloc, probably not after hearing many have it and are still victims

Will I still go for an Auris as next car since 'cat' is easy to steal (even though my next car is not a hybrid?) - that is my dilemma now ...hmmmm 🤔

Interesting read,:

1.2T is a completely different set up from 1.8 hybrid and non hybrid and 1.6 engines which are almost identical. However the 1.2 also has A rear mounted exhaust manifold and catalytic converter, from the pictures I see it is a lot more difficult to get access to the bolts which are also 4 not 2,  perhaps may not be an object of theft, but because is on the rear they might be accessible under the car.  Even though they don’t steal from non hybrid Toyotas they may well start looking for those as it’s an easy target. They target hybrids because this is what they been ordered to steal, metal recyclers and dodgy cat traders that buy and export them abroad. Fitting a cat lock for peace of mind will be a wise decision. Auris gen 1 and 2 except 1.33 and 1.4d all others can benefit from cat lock plate. De badgeing too. 

11A57CF6-3438-4094-B39D-533904109A57.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Nice one Tony!

When I next view a Auris 1.2T I will try to look underneath and also ask a technician ref where the 'cat' is

In fact, I will ring and ask on Monday!

Maybe I am getting paranoid, should I buy the Auris 1.2t? 

Will it too be targetted for the Catalytic Converter?

I have started a poll to reassure (or scare) myself:

Thieves are going for earlier hybrids as the cats contain a higher percentage of the precious metals they're after. 

2 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Thieves are going for earlier hybrids as the cats contain a higher percentage of the precious metals they're after. 

Thanks Frosty

Yes they are!

Just want to cover all bases, as I will be looking for the Gen2 Auris 1.2t, and thieves might either say "shoot, what do we do with this 1.2t parked next to an Auris Hybrid (they just stole the cat from)? Might as well do the 1.2t since 2min job!" 😲 

Or, "need extra cash this month, ok, let's do the non-hybrids as well, less profit, but better than nowt"! 😳

• Like 1

Or, "Damn, I took the cat of the 1.2t, all the Auris s look the same to me!" 😲

Or shall I look at the Skoda DSG again..🤔

Hi, I am not sure they will target 1.2T, cat is located further up closer to the engine as is the smaller exhaust manifold and turbo set up, the bolts are 4 and are placed sideways to the cat , access under bonnet may require to get those bolts undone, too much hassle. And if you fit cat plate under the car you will be pretty safe imo. I don’t know what to say auris or vag dsg, both has +&-, Toyota is the obvious one. 
Regards 

• Thanks 1

Thanks Tony

I really want another Toyota Hybrid , but with current 'cat' thefts - just too risky 😞 😞 😞

The Auris 1.2t is my 3rd option

i do prefer my 2nd option, the Yaris hybrid (even a bit small though) , but worry the Yaris Hybrid might be another target, once thieves ran out of hybrids to steal from...

What is interesting why are Honda Jazz's are mainly targetted too (and not other makes/models in same volume) ???

https://www.lancasterguardian.co.uk/news/crime/honda-main-target-catalytic-converter-thefts-lancaster-and-morecambe-become-epidemic-824087

Easy to access and what thieves are been told to steal, the people who buy the cats of them, those are the one mainly responsible for the plaque that I spreading now. All media, news, tv everything that can make a noise and major complaint to the British government, those are the steps and full ban on trade with cats for recycling. Cat taken of a car should worth noting, so thieves need to look for a job. No manufacturers are to blame, design faults or whatever, no, it is the times and place we live. In US also popular trade btw. 

• Like 1

Looking at the Skoda Rapid now, seems cheaper 🙂

A friend has the Skoda Scala.....have you taken a look at that. One of my friends has it and it looks pretty good.

3 minutes ago, Catlover said:

A friend has the Skoda Scala.....have you taken a look at that. One of my friends has it and it looks pretty good.

Scala maybe too new/expensive for me....it's a Rapid replacement isn't it?

Will fitting a cat loc to the auris petrol have another effect on the thiefs? "Owner protecting cat, I'm going steal anyway". Unless they know it's not a hybrid and therefore not valuable or harder to steal because of extra bolts. 

The Yaris hybrid is a great city car and for most things does very well. But it lack a few things I now want like folding/heated mirrors. Full leather and heated seats, more space and power for my leisure trips. Should have been a simple choice to upgrade to a auris or Lexus ct200 hybrid for me this year, but no! 

Toyota is not at fault, it's not a design flaw. I'm sure they and other hybrid manufacturers would have sat down and discuss if they can change the placement position of the cats to make it secure. 

Blame the thiefing scumbags; the government for cuts to let crimes gets out of control. Knife crimes being the main one. NO enforcement, scumbags will multiply. 

25 minutes ago, snowBALLs said:

Will fitting a cat loc to the auris petrol have another effect on the thiefs? "Owner protecting cat, I'm going steal anyway". Unless they know it's not a hybrid and therefore not valuable or harder to steal because of extra bolts. 

The Yaris hybrid is a great city car and for most things does very well. But it lack a few things I now want like folding/heated mirrors. Full leather and heated seats, more space and power for my leisure trips. Should have been a simple choice to upgrade to a auris or Lexus ct200 hybrid for me this year, but no! 

Toyota is not at fault, it's not a design flaw. I'm sure they and other hybrid manufacturers would have sat down and discuss if they can change the placement position of the cats to make it secure. 

Blame the thiefing scumbags; the government for cuts to let crimes gets out of control. Knife crimes being the main one. NO enforcement, scumbags will multiply. 

Ref Yaris

Upgrade to the Yaris bi-tone (or Excel) 😉

Toyota Business Edition has BOTH front heated seats as standard 👍

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links