Sign in to follow this  
Amir-Naji

RSA(Road Sign Assist) Issue

Recommended Posts

Hello,

Is there anyone who has an issue with the RSA in their Corolla Hybrid? I used to have an Avensis, and after passing a sign it showed the correct sing almost all the time, but since I bought the Corolla, it seems it works randomly!! I'm just wondering if anyone else has the same issue. 

Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mine only picks up speed signs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Sidrat said:

Mine only picks up speed signs.

Mine occasionally picks up other signs. For instance at the bottom of the A422 at M40 J11 it shows a motorway symbol. Overall it does a reasonable job I find.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It seems in mine, the priority is with the map, and other signs go under that sign. It's mentioned in the manual it show up to 3 signs in the display but unfortunately they stack up, and they are not shown separately, and I don't know if there is any way to access to lower signs, or if it is possible to change the priority.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There was a page on the instruments screen where signs do not stack and appear next to each other. Don't remember which one exactly was, just play a bit to find it. But since it was not very useful, I am not using it, so my signs also stack up.

Usually the ones behind are for forbidden overtaking or stop signs. The speed seems to be with highest priority and always show up on top.

I also believe I have read somewhere, that speed limit data is taken from map only when the camera wasn't able to read a sign. And it is logically to be like this - data in maps can be one or more years old, while in real life there could be recent/temporary changes from roadworks, etc...It would be stupid the camera to catch a temporary 50 limit sign in a construction section, but hide it because in the map there is data for 90 from before the roadwork...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, OXYGEN said:

There was a page on the instruments screen where signs do not stack and appear next to each other. Don't remember which one exactly was, just play a bit to find it. But since it was not very useful, I am not using it, so my signs also stack up.

Usually the ones behind are for forbidden overtaking or stop signs. The speed seems to be with highest priority and always show up on top.

Thank you. I will try find that to see what else it shows.

 

10 minutes ago, OXYGEN said:

I also believe I have read somewhere, that speed limit data is taken from map only when the camera wasn't able to read a sign. And it is logically to be like this - data in maps can be one or more years old, while in real life there could be recent/temporary changes from roadworks, etc...It would be stupid the camera to catch a temporary 50 limit sign in a construction section, but hide it because in the map there is data for 90 from before the roadwork...

Totally agree with you with the recent/temporary changes, and usually that's my issue, and yes, I have read that if it cannot read the sign, it gets it from the map, but apparently it just ignores the actual signs, and just put the map speed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Probably is has some issues reading the sign, rather than reading it but ignoring...
There are different sign styles in different countries, it might be a problem with your type of signs in the car software. Or a camera issue that needs to be checked by dealer?
I have no issues with my car. So far it's like missing a sign just 5-10% of the time. And this was tested with signs in 9 EU countries. The only type that is never recognized is the digital type speed signs that can be changed based on conditions etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It feels to me that ignoring, because I can see it changes, and the immediately, changes to soemthing else, specially as you mentioned in the places which are road contructions, and in Filnad at least the winter speed is different, and I wa driving yesterday, and as soon as it reads from the sign, it changes to the summer speed like in 30 sec or so.

Mine like 5-10% of the time is correct.

I took it to a Toyota dealer, and they said they had this kind of complain, and that is it!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Amir-Naji said:

It seems in mine, the priority is with the map, and other signs go under that sign. It's mentioned in the manual it show up to 3 signs in the display but unfortunately they stack up, and they are not shown separately, and I don't know if there is any way to access to lower signs, or if it is possible to change the priority.

Mine gives priority to road signs. There's a stretch of Hennef Way in Banbury that is 70 mph (recorded as such on the Here map creator) but the car reports it as 30 mph and I reckon it's because it reads the sign on the roundabout exit:

https://goo.gl/maps/ZocM8PqcsdhxdBrH6

NSL near side, 30 mph just visible in the distance near the dark blue car in the queue. It was actually news to me that the final stretch of that road linking M40 J11 was 70. I thought the entire stretch of Hennef Way was 50. Mind you at the times I drive that benighted road you're lucky to get to 50 mph. To be fair the fact that the road doesn't get gridlocked is a constant source of amazement to me. How the *bleep* Banbury survives with only one access point to the M40 astonishes me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My RSA is a waste of space it doesn't seem to read the signs on a road near me which as 30 mph speed signs and variable speed cameras my car shows the speed limit is 60mph.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 3/6/2020 at 11:50 PM, Leo63 said:

My RSA is a waste of space it doesn't seem to read the signs on a road near me which as 30 mph speed signs and variable speed cameras my car shows the speed limit is 60mph.

I know the feeling. I think the reason that others which don't have this issue, is the map speed and the road are the same so it shows the correct one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Amir-Naji said:

I know the feeling. I think the reason that others which don't have this issue, is the map speed and the road are the same so it shows the correct one.

Eh? Perhaps I've misunderstood your point but as I noted in my reply I've known my car to display the wrong figure but in my experience what it displays is from a road sign in preference to what the map says. Mine also correctly shows variable speed limits on motorways.

I doubt anyone would design a system where map data was given more credence than road signs. Maps can be out of date (in our case by at least six months) but more importantly road signs carry legal significance. It would be the height of folly to design things the other way round and if there was a mandated specification for these systems I would expect them to require that they operate that way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, AndrueC said:

Eh? Perhaps I've misunderstood your point but as I noted in my reply I've known my car to display the wrong figure but in my experience what it displays is from a road sign in preference to what the map says. Mine also correctly shows variable speed limits on motorways.

I didn't want to offend anyone, I thought the map and the roads are very good mapped so they show the correct one.

I've noticed that my car reads the signs, but I can see they will change very soon, or in the wrong places. I have an experience of changing 3 sings in less than 2 seconds. I can see it reads the correct one, but immediately changes to something else. That's why I mentioned before the piority is with the map, and not because it can't read the sign.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Amir-Naji said:

I've noticed that my car reads the signs, but I can see they will change very soon, or in the wrong places. I have an experience of changing 3 sings in less than 2 seconds. I can see it reads the correct one, but immediately changes to something else. That's why I mentioned before the piority is with the map, and not because it can't read the sign.

I thought by that my RSA was doing the same but today, in a place where some new 40 signs were put up last night, it detected them and displayed correctly. However, after a few hundred yards it changed back to the old 50 limit but picked up the next 40 repeater and remained correct until the end of the limit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ian.S said:

I thought by that my RSA was doing the same but today, in a place where some new 40 signs were put up last night, it detected them and displayed correctly. However, after a few hundred yards it changed back to the old 50 limit but picked up the next 40 repeater and remained correct until the end of the limit. 

The way that I understood the system it depends on where you are, and what the speed is on the map. If they are the same the correct one will be shown, otherwise I guess depends on the what they set in the car config(maybe after I don't know couple meters or mile or whatever) it changes the signs from the road to the map speed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Amir-Naji said:

I didn't want to offend anyone, I thought the map and the roads are very good mapped so they show the correct one.

I've noticed that my car reads the signs, but I can see they will change very soon, or in the wrong places. I have an experience of changing 3 sings in less than 2 seconds. I can see it reads the correct one, but immediately changes to something else. That's why I mentioned before the piority is with the map, and not because it can't read the sign.

Oh I'm not offended I was just puzzled because mine is definitely reading the signs and prioritising those over the map. I take pride in sticking to the speed limit except when I choose to be naughty so seeing the indicator go red when I'm only doing 40 mph on Hennef way irritates me almost daily.

There is one stretch of road where it currently gets it wrong because it changes with the map but I think that's because last year the 30 mph zone was extended. I think the council just replaced the original NSL sign with a 30 sign and moved the NSL sign a few hundred metres back. Thus when the map thinks you're entering NSL it has nothing to indicate otherwise and if it can 'see' that far ahead the next sign it can see will be NSL.

I would assume it's programmed to read the signs and choose them over the map but it will expect the signs to repeat after an appropriate interval. If no sign appears within an appropriate distance it goes with what the map says. Interestingly UK law doesn't specify what the interval should be other than 'equally spaced'..except for street lights. And that's an interesting one because I would be surprised if the RSA system recognised lighting spaced no more than every 200 metres as indicating a 30 mph zone.

But overall I don't notice many issues with it. It gets it right for the most part, better than my last car did.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My understanding is only the camera is used. The map can also be used to show speeds, but the system does not over ride the display on your main cockpit screen.

The problem with Toyota, I find, is it is so hard to get this type of info. Every country has some but not all info, so you end up exploring info from around the world, som of which only applies to the appropriate country.The manual does not give any info.

Here is a video from the USA.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Timmon said:

My understanding is only the camera is used. The map can also be used to show speeds, but the system does not over ride the display on your main cockpit screen.

The problem with Toyota, I find, is it is so hard to get this type of info. Every country has some but not all info, so you end up exploring info from around the world, som of which only applies to the appropriate country.The manual does not give any info.

Here is a video from the USA.

 

?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have only seen my system display the speed, never seen any mentioned in the video!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Sidrat said:

I have only seen my system display the speed, never seen any mentioned in the video!

I've seen mine show the motorway symbol. It shows it when approaching M40 J11 coming down the A422. I assume it picks it up from this sign:

https://goo.gl/maps/ZwBTzECF2z9MDHTW8

Although I don't understand why Toyota have bothered to programme that recognition. It's a pretty meaningless thing to report.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Timmon said:

My understanding is only the camera is used. The map can also be used to show speeds, but the system does not over ride the display on your main cockpit screen.

The problem with Toyota, I find, is it is so hard to get this type of info. Every country has some but not all info, so you end up exploring info from around the world, som of which only applies to the appropriate country.The manual does not give any info.

Here is a video from the USA.

 

I don't know about you, but I have seen it more than once that as soon as the camera reads a sign and displays it, it chages to something else. Almost happens every day. So I don't want to say strongly believe that, but at least I think it is over ride by something if it is not by map!! And as I mentioned earlier I believe the camera reads the signs correctly but some other system is involved as well which mess things up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Sidrat said:

I have only seen my system display the speed, never seen any mentioned in the video!

I think there is couple of posts earlier I mentioned about stacking up, and someone said it has to be on a certain screen.

This is the qoute from the maual:

Quote

When the driving support system information is selected, a maximum of 3 signs can be displayed.

I haven't seen it yet as well, but I assume it should happen on the out of the city roads.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I try not to look at the info display to see what is happening, so it's a bit wasted on me. I worry the more you rely on the technology, the less aware you are of what is happening out there. It is more of a curiosity for me!

I have observed that the wrong speed limit is displayed on occasion. I have been through road works that ended, and for the next half hour. The display continued to show limit 30 mph, in red because I was doing 60. Probably the temp sign ending the limit was missed by the system, and I didn't pass any permanent signs because it was national speed limit for standard trunk road.

Like Andrue I get the motor way sign on the way to Banbury sometimes, even though I am not on it. I get the national speed limit sign (Diagonal black line on white back ground) on occasion. I've not seen any others. Bearing in mind My T started reporting all instances where we went above the speed limit, last week, (back to normal now), it does make you wonder what false info is being sent to My T / Toyota servers. A lot more than we see on screen, I imagine.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Timmon said:

I try not to look at the info display to see what is happening, so it's a bit wasted on me. I worry the more you rely on the technology, the less aware you are of what is happening out there. It is more of a curiosity for me!

I have observed that the wrong speed limit is displayed on occasion. I have been through road works that ended, and for the next half hour. The display continued to show limit 30 mph, in red because I was doing 60. Probably the temp sign ending the limit was missed by the system, and I didn't pass any permanent signs because it was national speed limit for standard trunk road.

Like Andrue I get the motor way sign on the way to Banbury sometimes, even though I am not on it. I get the national speed limit sign (Diagonal black line on white back ground) on occasion. I've not seen any others. Bearing in mind My T started reporting all instances where we went above the speed limit, last week, (back to normal now), it does make you wonder what false info is being sent to My T / Toyota servers. A lot more than we see on screen, I imagine.

I agree that everyone should be aware of their surroundings, and not just rely on the technology as the manual, and car every time we turn it on say, but the techonology is there to help and not to confuse us, and not to this degree. I have to say the reason I bought this car because of its technologies, otherwise there are other cars probably better in some parts than this which I could consider if I didn't want the technology, and not to mention cheaper.

There is an another reason that I want this problem to be solved and that is if by any chance, which I guess we all agree it can happen even to best of us, I missed a sign I want to know what sign I have missed, or I got into a street or road that doesn't have a speed limit how can I trust the RSA to give me a correct speed limit. I don't know maybe you don't mind if you go faster or slower than the speed limit, but I do like to respect the law, and I like the technology heps me with that, and again that was the reason that I bought this car.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Amir-Naji said:

I agree that everyone should be aware of their surroundings, and not just rely on the technology as the manual, and car every time we turn it on say, but the techonology is there to help and not to confuse us, and not to this degree. I have to say the reason I bought this car because of its technologies, otherwise there are other cars probably better in some parts than this which I could consider if I didn't want the technology, and not to mention cheaper.

There is an another reason that I want this problem to be solved and that is if by any chance, which I guess we all agree it can happen even to best of us, I missed a sign I want to know what sign I have missed, or I got into a street or road that doesn't have a speed limit how can I trust the RSA to give me a correct speed limit. I don't know maybe you don't mind if you go faster or slower than the speed limit, but I do like to respect the law, and I like the technology heps me with that, and again that was the reason that I bought this car.

I agree it should be more accurate. But until we got the Corolla, we didn't have it, or I didn't anyway. The get out clause is that Toyota say the driver should be aware of their surroundings. In other words, don't blame us if we get it wrong.

Of course, I want to keep to the speed limit and observe the road signs. I always have. Touch wood, no points on my licence. But that's not thanks to the Corolla, I've only had it 9 months. Mind you, the Corolla is also very generous on the speedo, I think I am travelling about 4 - 6 mph slower at 70 on the speedo. Useful if you do creep a bit over on the motorway, speedo shows 75 but you are probably doing 69!

If we commit a driving offence, we can't tell the law that it happened because the display was wrong in the car. I agree the technology should not be there to confuse us. I guess just use it as a second point of reference, or if confusing, switch it off.

I think this technology is not to be relied upon,by all the comments we know that. It is work in progress, useful as a tool to warn you that you might have missed something, and make you double check.  In the future, when we have driver less cars, hopefully the technology will be 99% accurate.Which is probably better than even the best drivers are now.

So all I'm saying is that in my view, we always had to drive a car with little help from technology. I for one will enjoy carrying on like that, and use the tech as a back up curiosity only. The most useful thing in the Corolla for me is the built in Satnav and parking sensors! I would not want to lose those!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this