Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Is Buying A Turbo Really Worth It?

qwertyuiop

At the moment I think I'm best looking at an NA, the price difference is phenomenal - also if I'm going for an NA, I may as well get a damn good looking one. I just hope I can push it. How fast is yours ZeroBlade? Seriously, what has it got on say a Focus/Astra (im trying to think of 'regular' cars) a Ford Ka and the likes?

An n/a mr2 will still have most cars on the road, you can drop a gear and it will fly.. it doesn't compare to a standard focus or astra or saxo or 306 or fiesta or nova etc....

If you're now looking for an n/a, but specifically, a damn good looking one, i have mine for sale ! :thumbsup:

Click Here For Pictures

It's a UK n/a rev4 (4th out of 5 revisions) so it's one of the newer, more refined models, improved handling etc.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• qwertyuiop

• Fizz

• ZeroBlade

• Bibbs

Top Posters In This Topic

n/a's aint that bad.. its much easier to get the power down round town. I have had mine 2 years now and it still puts a smile on my face.

Make sure you get a T-Top tho.. you will never regret it!

I'd love a turbo BUT insurance is very high, fuel consumption is high and I'd imagine you have to be even more cautious in the wet. The N/A is quick enough, does 0-60 in just over 7 secs and has plenty of torque. I might move onto the turbo later on with more experience of RWD.

If you are going round town at around 3000-3500 rpm and then put your foot down.. its fantastic.

And the roads you described will be ideal for a N/A MR2.. as the tubby is not all that happy on the twisties unless your an expert driver...

Bull! :censor:

I may as well spend 25k on a tent and pretend it's a house.

Lol :thumbsup: that made me chuckle! :D

Dave!

Okay, I just got another online qoute, from one of those ones that search loads of different companys - £7800 was the cheapest from Zurich.....unbelievable.

And the roads you described will be ideal for a N/A MR2.. as the tubby is not all that happy on the twisties unless your an expert driver...

bloomin 'eck lad.. calm down...

your obviously an expert driver... as the majority of tubby owners agree with me.. :blink:

NA for me it is. Are the NA versions referred to as just GT? Or is that another trim altogether, if so how many trims are they? GT limited is one, but thats a Japanese version of a UK GT, right?

The UK MR2's were all refferred to as GT. Imports are either:

G - 1990 NA with lower power 3SFE engine

G-limited - equivalent to the UK GT

GT NA

and GT Turbo

GT has higher spec trim than the G-limited and G - leather/suede interior, electric folding mirrors, steering fog lights and a slightly higher spec radio.

Imported GT's almost always have A/C and climate control, turbos had these as standard. A UK GT might possibly have A/C but it was a very expensive option. No UK GT's have climate control as far as I know. Electric folding mirrors, and steering fogs were unavailable for the UK GT's too.

In short, go for an import if you wanna have the toys! A UK model is slightly less expensive to insure though (for no logical reason!). FSH for an import is very rare and if there is its likely to be in Japanese and for all you know it could be a shopping list (its happened lol).

Have a look here http://www.mr2dc.com/ and goto the buyign guides to have some more info

The UK MR2's were all refferred to as GT. Imports are either:

G - 1990 NA with lower power 3SFE engine

G-limited - equivalent to the UK GT

GT NA

and GT Turbo

UK :

Coupe (FE engine, cloth seats)

GTi-16 (sunroof, NA, cloth seats)

GTi-16 Tbar (T-bar, NA, full leather)

Jap :

G (Same as Coupe)

G-Limited (same as the GTi-16, T-bar or tin top, NA, cloth)

GT-S (Turbo, basic spec with a lot of options, cloth)

GT (Turbo, all the options as standard, half Leather, half alacantera)

I'm looking for a turbo now im nearly 21 (September) had my N/A since December and i love it but having seen a tubby in action the other night at some private land racing :P I WANT ONE!!

I will be 21 with 3 years no claims and the best so far I have found is TPFT £1500 with www.elephant.co.uk with me as main driver and for some reason if you add your mum as 2nd driver it goes down :D

I want a Rev 2 GT T-bar Turbo in black, and hoping to get one for around £3500 :D

Mate im 21 with 0 no claims and 6 points, im named driver under my dad on my car and im only payin £1100 TPFT with tesco! Yours should be much much lower so give tescos a call too

:crybaby: Deus - Stilla in't sold my clio and have seen sooooo many nice MR2's that I want to buy!!

HELP - Want one :crybaby:

:crybaby: Deus - Stilla in't sold my clio and have seen sooooo many nice MR2's that I want to buy!!

HELP - Want one :crybaby:

I was int he same boat when i was trying to sell my Celica... cos my monies was tied up in her.. :rolleyes:

all in good time mate :thumbsup:

bloomin 'eck lad.. calm down...

your obviously an expert driver... as the majority of tubby owners agree with me.. :blink:

I'm willing to go to £5,900... but not much further, at all.

qwerty fella sorry 4 the l8 reply bin a bit busy.

Yeah as the other lads have said the n/a can still outdo regular road cars no problem :P

thing is tho its not much of a challenge. cos think of a saxo full of the burbury brigage, theres no way that cars gonna go anywhere, lol!

like jappy said the powers a bit firther up in the rev's so a quick double-de-clutch and AWAY you go!!!

when buyin stay clear of the coupe models, and if in doubt have a look at the engine. if it says 3S-FE stay WELL clear of it!

-Z

qwerty fella sorry 4 the l8 reply bin a bit busy.

Yeah as the other lads have said the n/a can still outdo regular road cars no problem :P

thing is tho its not much of a challenge. cos think of a saxo full of the burbury brigage, theres no way that cars gonna go anywhere, lol!

like jappy said the powers a bit firther up in the rev's so a quick double-de-clutch and AWAY you go!!!

when buyin stay clear of the coupe models, and if in doubt have a look at the engine. if it says 3S-FE stay WELL clear of it!

-Z

FE as in non turbo?

FE as in 3S-FE engine .. it's the one with the economy head ..

about 112 bhp .. only made for the first year in the UK ..

I'll take not of that ZeroBlade. Why avoid the coupes? Or is it just because the T-Bars own them?

Elephant won't insure me on a Turbo, I'm only 19. Basically it doesn't matter how much NCB I have, whilst im under 21 they are going to blitz me. I'll give some of the others a try (mentioned earlier a few replys back) and get back to you, but I can't see it. 21+ for a turbo I think.

I tried Bell direct, as soon as I put in my D/O/B and car type the answer = no. I don't mind. Basically it is rare for insurance groups to even consider someone under 21 on a Turbo, and those who do charge insane amounts. Makes sense for me to get an NA anyway.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links