Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

1.8 or 2.0 corolla

barrycoll

1. DENSO AC in Toyota is always ice cold and very reliable.

2. Safety sense 2 is really good, can be considered as the gold standard even for luxury class. 

3. The engine is programmed for super95, get the cheapest fuel with highest detergent and lowest ethanol. 

4. 1.8L has been used since 2016 Prius, historically trouble free, enough torque in city and  highway. 2.0L is more fun but consume almost like Camry 2.5L fuel. 

5. The suspension is great, better than low trim Golf with torsion beam rear suspension.

6. Both hybrid have port injections, no carbon built up issue. 

7. 2.0L is more modern with 41% thermal effeciency, 1.8L is 39%, the power is noticeably better from 50 to 80 mph acceleration. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AisinW said:

2. Safety sense 2 is really good, can be considered as the gold standard even for luxury class. 

3. The engine is programmed for super95, get the cheapest fuel with highest detergent and lowest ethanol. 

Overall, I think the safety sense is very good, excellent even. I have an issue with RSA (Road Sign Assist) which is wrong too often to be useful, because although it can be turned off, it won't stay off, and turn it off involves going through a time consuming menu sequence (on the Yaris, it may be different on the Corolla).

LTA, I've grown to like, I've had my car a month and either it keeps me on the straight and narrow, as it were, or it doesn't do anything it particular when you think it should or would. OTOH, I have the warning set to steering wheel vibration because the beeps really annoyed me, and I don't notice or hardly the steering wheel vibrations.

Interesting about the SP95, I've continued to use E10, because it's my normal, but I'm intrigued about the possible advantages of E5, which may or may not be 4% more efficient.

26 minutes ago, AisinW said:

4. 1.8L has been used since 2016 Prius, historically trouble free, enough torque in city and  highway. 2.0L is more fun but consume almost like Camry 2.5L fuel. 

Is the 1.8 engine in the gen4 2016+ much different to the Gen3 1.8 engine.?????? I thought they were fundamentally the same.

The 1.8L in 2016+ has some modifications on the water jacket,  intake, shape of combution chamber, and larger volume  EGR and placed EGR after Catalytic converter to improve reliability and effeciency. 

The main improvement is the transmission that can deliver peak torque at lower rpm although total power is now 122HP instead of 139HP like in Auris but more efficient overal torque and power curves. 

E5 theoretically has 1.7% more energy than E10. It is very minor compared to driver variations.  I just do not like ethanol because it destroy carburators on lawn mower and small engines equipments.  I used to buy Marine Fuel E0, but it cost 30% more than E10. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, AisinW said:

1. DENSO AC in Toyota is always ice cold and very reliable.

5. The suspension is great, better than low trim Golf with torsion beam rear suspension.

6. Both hybrid have port injections, no carbon built up issue. 

7. 2.0L is more modern with 41% thermal effeciency, 1.8L is 39%, the power is noticeably better from 50 to 80 mph acceleration. 

I got 65 mpg on 2.5 camry

roundtrip (accounts for all elevation, approx 1400m) - 150 miles

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Catlover said:

Is the 1.8 engine in the gen4 2016+ much different to the Gen3 1.8 engine.?????? I thought they were fundamentally the same.

Very similar engines

Electric  systems were improved and reprogrammed to provide different responses

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links