Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Car refuses to start!!!!

SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS

13 hours ago, furtula said:

I'd try a pull start with another car, if it's indeed a bad sensor, pull start might help get it started.

You need some diagnostics to see what is the issue with a car. If you have  two toyotas, i would buy a techstream cable, install the software on a laptop, and check the car out. It's neither expensive nor hard to do, but might help you immenselly.

Thank you for your input mate.

Do you have any links for the cable that would work for both of my cars i.e my 2008 aygo and our 2010 avensis 2L diesel 

And a link to the software?

13 hours ago, flash22 said:

Pull the valve cover and check the chain if that's ok, pull the spark plugs out and do a compression test it may have burnt a valve/or dropped a valve,

Does it sound like it used to or does it spin over too freely ?

i would not move it until you verifiy the chain is ok

edit. does every thing in the interior work ? can you actual talk to the ecu ? There is a common internal issue with the fuse box under the bonnet that kills the power to the ecu

Hi, thank you for your input.

I tried to check the chain last night, my other half back is done in so he can't bend just to add to matters, but feeling the chain through the oil filler cap and through the hole once I removed the crank shift sensor the chain felt tight and solid!

I've no idea how to do a compression test!

From the chugging it sounds fine I.e as normal only she refuses to fire up!

And yes everything seems fine in the interior, Not sure about the ecu though, how do I test that? 

I'm interested in your FUSE BOX comment, what do you mean exactly? How would it kill power to the ecu?

1 hour ago, steveo3002 said:

dont panic too much its gutting when a car fails to start , unfortunatetly when a wire snaps or a sensor goes thats how it is

you need some proper dianosis on it rather than throwing new parts at it 

it will be good as gold when fixed

Cheers, you dont know how much your message reassured me for a moment. Thank you. Its more than gutting. I would be the happiest person in the world if I got it going and she was better than before. Right now I'm thinking new engine and all the hassle or parking her up on mums drive for the rest of her life. With my partners back done in im having to do things myself and diagnosing as in the word freaks me out!

There is an internal relay and fuses in the fuse box behind the Battery it can cause a no start problems, plug in a code reader and seen if it connects to the ecu

• Like 1

As said, keep the faith, I know my limits and anything too much I let the pros do it as they have right tools, experience etc. to do it. Worth proper diagnostics by the pros, hopefully you got nice friendly independent garage nearby then at least you know if it economical to repair, if your lucky it a cheap fix if not you say thanks for the memories and move on. 

3 hours ago, Stivino said:

Cheers Stivino 

Is that all i need...the cable...and my laptop?

So does this cable include the techstream software that will diagnose the vehicle?

Or do I need to go else where for the software?

2 hours ago, flash22 said:

There is an internal relay and fuses in the fuse box behind the battery it can cause a no start problems, plug in a code reader and seen if it connects to the ecu

Flash22, yes my handheld scanner does connect to the aygos obd2, does that mean the ecu is fine? 

I'm not getting any error codes what so ever

1 hour ago, Puglet said:

As said, keep the faith, I know my limits and anything too much I let the pros do it as they have right tools, experience etc. to do it. Worth proper diagnostics by the pros, hopefully you got nice friendly independent garage nearby then at least you know if it economical to repair, if your lucky it a cheap fix if not you say thanks for the memories and move on. 

Trying so hard to keep faith. I agree, I think I've persuaded myself to visit a local garage to me tomorrow, its only around the corner, I know he has a high tech snap on diagnostic tool he told some time ago, paid like 6k for it all.

I cant imagine saying thanks to the memories you know. I'm willing to fight for this one. I've been to London and back so many times and around town...hundreds of miles and no issues.

My problem is having a hubby who does all our vehicle servicing and repairs etc for the last 25 years and now due to age and ill health he struggles to fit a bulb let alone carry a Battery. He's itching to get under the bonnet but I won't allow it, he only just saw his physio yesterday who advised complete rest for a week. 

My heart tells me its the crank sensor.

There's quite a few on eBay...varying from 12 to 25.00...used though...but look OK and the part numbers are dead on...is that worth a try?

Is the crank sensor a 19 20 HW ? Throw a cheap sensor at it if you like, if it starts get a decent one

2 hours ago, SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS said:

Cheers Stivino 

Is that all i need...the cable...and my laptop?

So does this cable include the techstream software that will diagnose the vehicle?

Or do I need to go else where for the software?

It will come with software.

As said by Stivino, usually they ship the software with the cable, or send the link where to get one. 

Even if you don't get it, someone here can always send it to you.

10 hours ago, Stivino said:

Hi

Just got into bed and thought I'd order that techstream but can't see the link works now. Great. 

Any idea how I'd find it again?

the link seems to be working but you could search for this   16pin Mini VCI Toyota Lexus TIS TechStream OBD2 Diagnostic Interface Scanner

On 11/8/2020 at 9:19 PM, Stivino said:

The link is working for me.

Try this link.

Cheers guys

I think its my eBay thats playing up, the link brings up an error page, 

However I think I recall your choice at 17.99

However if I type in

16pin Mini VCI Toyota Lexus TIS TechStream OBD2 Diagnostic Interface Scanner

there are some that start at 12.99 or so...uk sellers...but I notice some say different versions....v13 or v14 etc...others say 2020 or 2019

Does it matter which i go for ?

Have you guys used a particular seller that's reliable maybe?

I worry about installing software cds that may corrupt the family laptop if im honest!

cheers

It's all the same, and considering the age of your car, should work no problem.

The cable is just an adapter to get info from the car to the laptop, if you are worried about the software, you can download it from Toyota, but you need to pay per hour/day/month or however you want. 

12 hours ago, SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS said:

I worry about installing software cds that may corrupt the family laptop if im honest!

I can understand why this might bother you. 

Do you have an old laptop of netbook tucked away somewhere that you can use?  The software runs perfectly well, and is easy to install on an old device running Windows XP or newer.  Having a serviceable Battery in that laptop is good, but not essential, so long as you can run a mains lead to the car.

The Techstream software that will be supplied with the cable will be basically the same tool that a Toyota dealer would use, but with some 'get-arounds' [cough] provided, so that you don't need to sign-on, which you would would be doing if you used the official Toyota access and used the pay-as-you-go service.

The program is free to download from Toyota's website, but it is then expected that you then 'rent' time to use it, in a similar fashion to the Toyota facility that exists to rent access to Toyota technical manuals, which you probably already know about.

Cheers guys,

A quick update, the garage around the corner from our house just popped over 5 minutes ago bless him as he promised to pop over yesterday but failed, they are really busy at the best of times. 

He brought his snap on diagnostic with him, and used my noco booster on the Battery, and within a minute or two confirmed it was the immobiliser, 110% he said in his words, he's asked me to dosconnect the Battery terminals which I've just done  wait 10 minutes, and then touch the positive and negative terminals together for a second or two and reconnect them to the Battery, and then try starting it up.

I'm on my way to try that!

Otherwise he's left me with a number for a bloke he trusts to come to reprogram the immobiliser, most im looking at is 120.00 !

Fingers crossed

• Like 1

Guys...I AM SO HAPPY INDEED...

We actually got her started, all it needed was a 10 minute disconnect of the Battery and she fired up straight away! Woo hoo. I cried I wont lie !

Okay, so, so far I've put in a new cam sensor, my questions now are...

1. I've already orderd a new crank sensor, its a lucas brand and is supposed to be the right part this time, will it harm anything if I just fit it anyway?

2. On my school round today, I notice that the heater blows super hot when switched to no.2 on the heater knob, either I got so used to the Avensis, is that normal?

3. I noticed like an oil leak behind the engine  belt pulley side, never noticed that before, my engines always been super clean.

4. AND I noticed like a dark red substance, under all the pipes, Battery side, no idea what it is.

I have attached a vid for you guys to inspect if it helps, I got the sound of the engine and the leak but that red stuff is hard to pick up, looks like marshmallows lol.

Finally, I've just orderd my techstream n cable anyway for future use, infact I will use it on both cars as soon as it arrives, cant wait now, it states windows 10 supported so fingers crossed it works coz it was the only one that said that on eBay!

Otherwise I'm glad she's running...I WONDER WHAT CAUSED THAT IMMOBILISER ISSUE...so strange! I'm scared if it does it again. My 10mm spanner for the Battery is staying in handbag!!

I would keep the new crank sensor in it's box - I'm a great believer in "if it ain't broke don't fix it"!

1. don't fix it if it aint broken, keep it in the box
2. super hot is great for cold winters
3. could probably be the chain tensioner, they have o-ring which often fails, and a bit of oil seeps out.
4. does the dark red substance got any white corosion/white powder near it? does the color match the coolant color?

1 hour ago, SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS said:

Guys...I AM SO HAPPY INDEED...

We actually got her started, all it needed was a 10 minute disconnect of the battery and she fired up straight away! Woo hoo. I cried I wont lie !

Okay, so, so far I've put in a new cam sensor, my questions now are...

1. I've already orderd a new crank sensor, its a lucas brand and is supposed to be the right part this time, will it harm anything if I just fit it anyway?

2. On my school round today, I notice that the heater blows super hot when switched to no.2 on the heater knob, either I got so used to the Avensis, is that normal?

3. I noticed like an oil leak behind the engine  belt pulley side, never noticed that before, my engines always been super clean.

4. AND I noticed like a dark red substance, under all the pipes, battery side, no idea what it is.

I have attached a vid for you guys to inspect if it helps, I got the sound of the engine and the leak but that red stuff is hard to pick up, looks like marshmallows lol.

Finally, I've just orderd my techstream n cable anyway for future use, infact I will use it on both cars as soon as it arrives, cant wait now, it states windows 10 supported so fingers crossed it works coz it was the only one that said that on ebay!

Otherwise I'm glad she's running...I WONDER WHAT CAUSED THAT IMMOBILISER ISSUE...so strange! I'm scared if it does it again. My 10mm spanner for the battery is staying in handbag!!

2 hours ago, PetrolDave said:

I would keep the new crank sensor in it's box - I'm a great believer in "if it ain't broke don't fix it"!

Hmmm...I agree, but I might just swap them to see if the engine runs smoother, going via my vid the engine sounds a bit...rough? Always been that way, hence the high petrol usage from day 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links