Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Corolla (2019 onwards) spare wheel

Micken

Registered November 23 according to the paperwork....ergo, no JBL 

I was promised it, but what can you do, as I ordered it in November but wanted a March 24 delivery.

and can't fit my space saver easily

plusno tow kit available now, due to coming from UKRAINE !!.... so aftermarket 

• 2 weeks later...

Got my 2019 Corolla Design HB last September and highly delighted with it. Looking now to sort out a spare wheel, probably a space saver and hopeful that I can pick one up from a scrap yard.

Despite all the previous comments I am still not sure of what I need. The car came to me with just a TRK and pump. Under the rear cover I just have a bare well as shown in photo. 

In a post 20/04/22 (Stanley Mortimer) there is reference to an Auris spare saver being suitable for the Corolla but the Wheel Shop says the actual Corolla wheel wont fit into the well without a foam insert. Logic says to me that if something wont fit somewhere, it's even less likely to fit if something else if fitted there first. Mrs has a 2005 civic with space saver fitted outer face down with a retaining bolt  and the jack kit fits in the bowl of the "upside down" wheel. It's what I expected to do with a Corolla space saver.  I'm also hoping that once fitted the boot floor will still be able to be placed at the higher and lower levels as now. 

So can I get away with either a Corolla or Auris space Saver, without any insert foam and still keep my floor level versatility please?

IMG_20240326_141639765.jpg

I bought a space saver spare wheel and foam insert used but new off eBay as considerably less than buying from Toyota P&S.   I will measure the height of the spare wheel and let you know.  The spare wheel well in your photo looks a lot shallower than in my TS (23) but it still may fit under the removable boot floor.  I hate not having a spare wheel and measured it only made 0.05 mpg difference.  I drove over a piece of angle iron on the A14 a few months ago and shredded the tyre so not impressed with compressors and foam!

• Like 2

Looking at the picture, I think you have the 1.8?

I have used the Auris space saver but it was slightly too tall to use the original floor. I asked on this forum whether the corolla space saver was slightly lower but no-one seemed to know.

So I took the plunge .. the prices quoted are from 2 years ago.

HB 1.8 boot conversion to hold a spare wheel.docx

• Like 1

The height of the space saver wheel is around 150mm if that’s any help.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JasonM said:

The height of the space saver wheel is around 150mm if that’s any help.  

Thanks, I will measure the Auris one, even though I have done the conversion it would be good to have the boot floor in the lower position.

Thanks 50p and JasonM. Correct, my HB is a 1.8.

I was hoping to not have to splash out big bucks so £300 before buying the wheel is a bit of a shock. 50p, have you effectively restructured your boot space? I expected to be able to accommodate the space saver within the space underneath the existing floor (even at the lower level)  What I was hoping for is to be able to just secure the wheel to the well with the retaining bolt. To negate any possible vibration noise I could lay a piece of carpet offcut in the foot of the well, with a hole though the carpet for the bolt to fit through. However Jason's information about the height of the space saver has ended my dream. I have just been out and measured and the space between the floor of the well and the underside of the floor in the lower position is only 130mm.

So accepting that I will have to accept having to be restricted to the higher floor level I'm back to trying to understand why I need a foam insert to accommodate the space saver and can't just secure the wheel using the retaining bolt and possibly a carpet offcut.  Are you able to explain why that is the case please?

3 hours ago, IanAP said:

So accepting that I will have to accept having to be restricted to the higher floor level I'm back to trying to understand why I need a foam insert to accommodate the space saver and can't just secure the wheel using the retaining bolt and possibly a carpet off-cut.  Are you able to explain why that is the case please?

Hi Ian, the foam trims give the boot deck extra support either side. The floor is pretty sturdy and is held mainly by the 64716-02170 Cover, deck trim, rear spare wheel lock trim at the lock end of the boot and 6407002020C1 box assembly, deck floor, front by the rear seats. The foam trim, two pieces, one either side of the spare wheel have cutouts for the jack, handle, locking wheel-nut key, towing hook. I guess if you didn't have too much weight in the boot on the new raised floor it shouldn't be a problem. Just my opinion ....

I got myself a full size spare wheel at the dealer when I received my Corolla. This fits ok below the floor in the lower position of the TS. You can probably fit more snug in the space below with the inserts, but just the wheel works fine.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to be late in updating, have been waiting to get a space saver and seeing if I can wing it somehow.

Just fitted the saver to make sure it fits on the car. You will see from the photo that stud alignment is fine but the nuts, whilst closing up tight on the wheel, do not fully engage up to the washer/collar. Would it be safe to drive like that any distance or do I need new nuts, and if so what do I need to be looking for please.

I will update with photos one I have completed

IMG_20240420_105710176.jpg

Have just been able to answer my own question - RTFM!

The manual confirms that the existing wheel nuts can be used when fitting a steel space saver and even has an illustration.

I got the wheel from a breaker on eBay £75 and in good nick and good tread. Just waiting now for retaining bolt ordered last week and will then post pictures.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, IanAP said:

I got the wheel from a breaker on Ebay £75 and in good nick and good tread. Just waiting now for retaining bolt ordered last week and will then post pictures.

Good luck but I still think you will need this to allow the spare to fit ....

64716-02170 Cover, deck trim, rear spare wheel lock trim   £17 (really and genuine Toyota!)

This is the plastic trim that goes at the front of the boot near the rear bumper .. it is shaped differently from the non spare wheel version, several members have mentioned ‘a bit of trim in the way preventing the wheel to go in the well.’ It also has 2 holes that the ‘box, deck floor’ attach to.

Trouble is, if you change this bit then the deck floor doesn't completely cover the underneath space.

When you refer to "a bit of trim in the way preventing the wheel to go in the well.’, is that the trim which would need to be replaced  by 64716-02170 so that the wheel fits?

I have been able to fit the space saver into the well - I'm just waiting for the securing screw to arrive to finish the job, subject to a bit of tidying up. If the position is as I have raised above, I am beginning to think that the original owner had a space saver and the trim I have is already 64716-02170 and the wheel was retained by the original owner, which would make sense if he had then traded in the car, bought another Corolla and kept the wheel to use in that one.

Hi Ian, as you say, it sounds as if this part has already been fitted. I couldn't get the spacesaver into the wheel well before I changed mine.

And theres me wanting the space saver out so I can put another 12V Battery in there for parking mode on my dashcams.

Can anyone recomenda good tyre puncture repair kit in place of the wheel?

Thank you.

15 minutes ago, mikmikmikmik said:

Can anyone recomenda good tyre puncture repair kit in place of the wheel?

Holts make tyre repair kits in a variety of sizes based on wheel size. They are reasonably priced at your local motor factor

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Parts-King said:

Holts make tyre repair kits in a variety of sizes based on wheel size. They are reasonably priced at your local motor factor

FWIW I used a Holts repair bottle on the wheel of our wheel barrow where the tyre had perished so badly it had started leaking through a gazillion cracks. 10 years later it still holds air. Value I say! 

• Like 3

Have a look on eBay, I bought one from a DS 3, the same as the Citroen one. It’s very neat and I’ve been using it in my Xantia to top up the tyre pressures.

Never needed to use the canister to stop a puncture & only had one “daily” car with a spare wheel since about 2003.

• Like 1

Well I fixed the space saver and yes, it certainly looks like the previous owner had a space saver and I just benefited from the trim update. It all makes sense to me now.  

Rather than buy the foam cover which would house the wheel brace etc I intend (or intended to) just let the existing hatch floor cover rest on the top of the space saver to give me the option of two floor levels . The floor doesn't rest on the updated trim but there is good support at the back and where it sits on top of the wheel. I just need to be careful with weight close to the hatch lip.

I have a scissors jack but wanted one which would sit in the wheel well. I ordered one of Amazon advertised as being 35mm long when folded  but it was 41mm when it arrived so I returned it. I then saw another one but went on to the Q & A section and asked if it was really 35mm long and lo and behold got replies saying "no - 41mm". I am now thinking of a bottle jack instead so opening a new thread. Thanks to 50P and Jason M for your contribution.

IMG_20240426_110231708.jpg

IMG_20240426_110339979.jpg

IMG_20240426_110401056.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IanAP said:

The floor doesn't rest on the updated trim but there is good support at the back and where it sits on top of the wheel. I just need to be careful with weight close to the hatch lip.

Yes, all the parts I fitted seem to be present, except the foam bits. If you don't mind loosing a bit of space, put the floor in the upper slot, then it fits correctly at the rear.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links