Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Corolla (2019 onwards) spare wheel

Micken

4 hours ago, Mr Billiards said:

I have been looking through the posts on this topic and I'm somewhat confused.

I wish to obtain 17inch a spacesaver for my 2ltr GR Sport Hatchback when it's delivered in November 23.

Will the spacesaver fit in the wheel well in the boot or do I need to remove some moulded foam or trim from the wheel well?

Looking at the wheel shop website this is what information is available.

https://www.thewheelshop.co.uk/product/toyota-corolla-2019-present-day-17-space-saver-spare-wheel/

Yes, it will fit in the wheel well.

No, you don't need to remove anything. No, you don't need a special bit of foam as mentioned.

Your car will come with a carpeted wheel well, with a bit of velcro to stick the emergency goop pouch onto. The thread for the retaining bolt is still there underneath and can be accessed by simply making a cross cut with a small knife. (I have done this myself)

You can simply put a space saver spare in the well, use a spare & retaining bolt or even go the whole hog and get the full kit (including a new bit of carpet) from Toyota Parts Direct. (I went for the middle option, sourcing the spare & a jack from FleaBay)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Don Mac said:

No, you don't need to remove anything. No, you don't need a special bit of foam as mentioned.

Your car will come with a carpeted wheel well, with a bit of velcro to stick the emergency goop pouch onto. The thread for the retaining bolt is still there underneath and can be accessed by simply making a cross cut with a small knife. (I have done this myself)

You can simply put a space saver spare in the well, use a spare & retaining bolt or even go the whole hog and get the full kit (including a new bit of carpet) from Toyota Parts Direct. (I went for the middle option, sourcing the spare & a jack from FleaBay)

Thanks for the confirmation, much appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/18/2023 at 4:57 PM, Don Mac said:

I have sourced a full size spare from the breakers. If you fit it in with the hollow part up, you will have plenty space for odds and ends in the wheel. You will find the retaining bolt will be too long. If you have dies you can cut it, in my case I just drilled a hole in a piece of 2 x 3 timber and used it as a space. Don't forget you will need a jack

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/29/2023 at 4:32 PM, Roker said:

I have sourced a full size spare from the breakers. If you fit it in with the hollow part up, you will have plenty space for odds and ends in the wheel. You will find the retaining bolt will be too long. If you have dies you can cut it, in my case I just drilled a hole in a piece of 2 x 3 timber and used it as a space. Don't forget you will need a jack

Hello Everyone,

In the spirit of the thread, I'm thinking of getting a full size spare as well, potentially a space saver if I cannot source one, but definitely not sticking with the repair kit.

Secondly, I want to put a JBL BassHub (or the Cerwin Vega equivalent) in there. I doubt anyone here attempted that modification, but eyeballing it, it looks like it would fit inside the wheel well, with a full-size wheel underneath. I will lose, maybe, the extra inch of trunk space that you can get by moving the floor down a bit, but that's OK.

I think a space-saver would pretty much be a no-no for adding the JBL on top, as it's suppose to fit inside the wheel well. Too tall overall I reckon. 

Anyway, if anyone had any thoughts on that, much appreciated. I'm expecting to get my Corolla Touring 2.0L for December (17'' alloys). 

I'm still mulling it over, but since it's a vehicle I intend to keep for a long time, I'm intending to upgrade the stereo bit by bit. 

Cheers!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hopefully the right thread to post this question. Just bought a 2019 Toyota Corolla Excel VVT-I HEV CVT and it only comes with the inflation kit. I was thinking of buying a spacesaver wheel but all the versions I have seen (on e-bay, admittedly) are 17", whereas my vehicle has 225/40/R18's. Is the 17" spacesaver the correct size?

Thanks

Tony

• Like 1

On 11/26/2023 at 8:44 PM, Jasper1602 said:

Hopefully the right thread to post this question. Just bought a 2019 TOYOTA COROLLA EXCEL VVT-I HEV CVT and it only comes with the inflation kit. I was thinking of buying a spacesaver wheel but all the versions I have seen (on e-bay, admittedly) are 17", whereas my vehicle has 225/40/R18's. Is the 17" spacesaver the correct size?

Thanks

Tony

Yes, see above.

• 2 months later...

I read this thread with interest. Most people and all of the remaining pictures are of people fitting space savers to 1.8 hatchbacks. There was one chap right at the start who fitted one to a 2.0 hatchback with the Battery in the boot but all of his pictures no longer exist and he's not active on the forum any longer. His linked imgur account suggests he no longer has a Toyota!

Has anyone else made the conversion on a 2.0l Excel? It seems to have some issues with the trim fouling but I can't tell what trim that was. Other than that, his shopping list seemed quite comprehensive and agrees with my other research:

Retaining bolt (for space saver) 51931-02320
Floor foam 64778-02050
RH "Tool" foam 64995-02120
Space saver wheel 42611-0F091 + Tyre 125/70D17
jack 09111-F4010
jack handle 09113-F4010
Wrench 09150-F4010
Replacement LH boot trim 64744-02070-C1

The Swindon branch who run Toyotapartsdirect have reasonable prices on things like the jack, handle and wrench (maybe even the spare wheel but I can't quite work out what is in that kit). But the thing that really causes me curiosity is that LH Boot trim (the last item on the list). Presumably this is something that comes out of the Panoramic roof 2.0l model and it looks like there are no images of this in the thread any longer.

Whilst I do remember the days of full size alloys, for most of my driving, I don't think that's a big deal but like many others on here, I don't feel that I have either the experience of inflating a tyre with gunk to get it right first time nor much confidence in it.

Thanks,

Andrew

4 minutes ago, 50p said:

Hello,

Yes, I found that picture but I don't know what it is. All I have are some pockets on my car.

it's a relatively flat piece of rigid plastic that fixes into two plastic slots on the side trim, effectively making the 'pocket'

1 minute ago, 50p said:

it's a relatively flat piece of rigid plastic that fixes into two plastic slots on the side trim, effectively making the 'pocket'

Oh right haha. I see, it *IS* that panel! Thanks! That's not even a desperate piece so I could wait for one to come from a scrappers. It took seeing that and going out to the car to make that connection!
Thanks so much!

no problem!

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks to all those that helped with the information, I have successfully managed to retrofit the spare wheel to the boot space using the following parts. I've included the approximate new prices. You will of course need a spare wheel!

Retaining bolt (for space saver) 51931-02320
jack 09111-F4010 (£20)
jack handle 09113-F4010 (£2)
Wrench 09150-F4010 (£7)
Floor foam 64778-02050 (£13)
RH "Tool" foam 64995-02120 (£13)
Replacement LH boot trim 64744-02070-C1 (£20)

Which is the same list as you'll find earlier in the post.

On 2/6/2024 at 2:36 PM, 50p said:

I also discovered when I was emptying the car prior to selling they they could be set low, creating the pocket, or high to stop stuff rolling off the boot floor in the higher position. 

7 hours ago, Roy124 said:

I also discovered when I was emptying the car prior to selling they they could be set low, creating the pocket, or high to stop stuff rolling off the boot floor in the higher position. 

really, I didn't know that! Will have to have a look.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Roy124 said:

20 minutes ago, 50p said:

really, I didn't know that! Will have to have a look.

I had a look at mine and I can't see how you'd do this. Can you elaborate?

5 minutes ago, Don Mac said:

I had a look at mine and I can't see how you'd do this. Can you elaborate?

IIRC, simply lift it up there might be a couple of lips it slips into.   As I said, definitely not easy to see.

One thing to remember on all the for's and against's fitting aftermarket spare or space saver - is that the roads are a hell of a lot more pot-holey now due to local councils not bothering to repair the roads.  Thus this will equal more potential punctures - unless your minds are full of remembering where all the local potholes are and you just navigate in a slalom-fashion 😀.

I personally have not yet had a puncture yet (two years old 22 plate and 25k miles) but a couple of weeks ago i was driving along and a huge hole appeared and i narrowly avoided it but still crossed over it on the edge - the result was a hard bump but luckily no puncture or damage.

Yes mine is a Company Car so i would just call the number and wait to have a tyre fitter come out and replace... but last time i had to wait (2 hours) was back in 2017 after leaving work with 52 miles to travel home at 5pm and even though i gave them the tyre size etc. they still turned up with no replacement, fitted the space saver I had on board and told me to limp home and then sort out in the morning!  I could have changed it myself and not wait 2 hours but company car rules state call the number!

Go figure!

So if my Corolla was my own I would definitely go for a space saver so i can at least travel to my destination as it is peace-of-mind.  yes it takes up room - but on this car the underneath of the boot space is taken up with the styrofoam piece and TRK and whatever else where a space saver can and will fit nicely.

For what it’s worth here’s the thread where I talk about fitting a full size spare in my 2021 TS GR Sport.

• 2 weeks later...

Just went to pick up 24 1.8 hatchback Exel.

took with me the space saver spare from the sold '20 TS.

there is no room in the carpeted wheel well, for the spare, as it fouls the moulding at the back, which I either take a hack saw to, or have the wheel lose in the boot. There is still the threaded screw in securing point

what is Toyota up to??

I was also expecting a JBL sound system......but NO

There has always been a difference between the underfloor packing on the TS and the hatch. You have to order special parts to fit the spare wheel in the hatch.

Can you describe the 'special part' please Rab....as nothing seems to be on offer!

5 hours ago, barrycoll said:

Can you describe the 'special part' please Rab....as nothing seems to be on offer!

Off the top of my head, no. There is a long thread on here somewhere about spare wheels and there are pictures showing which bits need changing.

On 3/20/2024 at 6:18 PM, barrycoll said:

Just went to pick up 24 1.8 hatchback Exel.

took with me the space saver spare from the sold '20 TS.

there is no room in the carpeted wheel well, for the spare, as it fouls the moulding at the back, which I either take a hack saw to, or have the wheel lose in the boot. There is still the threaded screw in securing point

what is Toyota up to??

I was also expecting a JBL sound system......but NO

2024 Excel has JBL as standard, are you sure you have a my24 and not just registered in 24? You may have a late registered my23. 

Another reason for having a spare is the time taken to replace a damaged tyre.  Punctured on Tuesday and being replaced this morning. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links