Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

MPG issue

IrnBro

Also think E10 reduce fuel economy. Ever since it was introduce economy of my car is worse than previously and I can hear the engine being louder. 

• Like 3

What's your engine temperature? Maybe you're driving it *too* gently? I find my Mk4 is a bit like my old diesel Yaris - If I baby it from the morning it takes forever to warm up and the efficiency is garbage as the freezing cold engine block is soaking up most of the energy from the cylinders instead of it being used to move the car.

In general, I find with mine that I get worse mpg if I really slowly get up to speed running on the ICE the whole time. If I get up to speed a bit quicker, e.g. accelerate at the top of the Eco+ bar so the car doesn't dip into Power mode, then lift so the engine cuts off then put just enough pedal input to hold the speed, I tend to get better mpg, but only if I'm not forced to slow down again.

The next biggest mpg gain is from being able to roll through traffic non-stop instead of stop-starting. I try to gauge the average speed of traffic and leave a big enough buffer in front to roll at that speed while the car in front pulls away and then stops again.

More recently, I've increasingly noticed low tyre pressure and rain has a surprisingly big impact (Probably more for the Yaris than the heavier Corolla). The cold has dropped my tyre pressure in the morning by 6psi compared to summer and I can feel the higher rolling resistance. Additionally, rain also creates a surprisingly high amount of drag, and it's magnified the faster you're going.

Lastly, I'm sorry to say you picked the wrong engine for economy! The 2.0L is tuned more for a sporty responsive feel but at the expense of mpg. The economical one is the 1.8!

(In fact, if the car isn't too small for your purposes, the Mk4 Yaris would have been an even better choice if mpg was the only goal - I'm currently at 77.8mpg (I was at 79.9 until this windy rainy weather robbed me of my 80 mpg!). This has been at the expense of crippling lower back pain and having to add lumbar support with a towel tho'... :laugh: )

• Like 2

Rain, wind, cold temperatures, lower psi or winter and all season tyres does impact efficiency in Toyota hybrids more than any other type of cars, perhaps evs are badly affected too. More efficient is the car higher impact will happen when those variables change. 👍

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Locard said:

Hi All,

I have the corolla gr sport 2.0 hybrid and I find that the longer I had had the car the lower my mpg becomes. I use the car to commute to work (approx 15 mile one way). The journey is a mix of A roads, duel carriageways and motorway. I drive 95% of the time in eco mode and feather the accelerator to build my battery charge, yet my mpg is slowly dropping over time. I have had the car for 8 months. In the beginning my average mpg was 43.4, now it is at 42.9 and falling.

May i suggest driving in 'normal' mode more. The 'Car Nut' guy on youtube does not recommend eco mode full time. Check out his video's. They are very interesting. 

• Like 2

Yeah, it's better to try them all out and pick the mode that feels best. Eco mode doesn't really make the car any more economical, and Power mode doesn't make it any faster; They just change the mapping of the accelerator pedal.

I only use Eco because most of my time is spent crawling through slow London traffic, and the lower pedal sensitivity at the beginning gives more low-speed control, while the other modes are a bit too responsive for crawling in traffic!

It really isn't nice for e.g. motorway driving as you have to push the pedal so much more for speed, although I use that as a prompt to start abusing the cruise control :laugh: 

• Like 3

On 11/17/2022 at 12:18 PM, Locard said:

Hi All,

I have the corolla gr sport 2.0 hybrid and I find that the longer I had had the car the lower my mpg becomes. I use the car to commute to work (approx 15 mile one way). The journey is a mix of A roads, duel carriageways and motorway. I drive 95% of the time in eco mode and feather the accelerator to build my battery charge, yet my mpg is slowly dropping over time. I have had the car for 8 months. In the beginning my average mpg was 43.4, now it is at 42.9 and falling.

Try not driving everywhere in Eco mode. It's got a Normal mode for a reason.

• Like 2

Its probably down to going into winter driving engine takes longer to heat up you using more energy heating the the cabin from a lower temperature.

Eco Mode Normal mode its just accerelrator responce and possibly drive gear ratio.

Yes I know its not normal gears more like a variable ratio pulleys.

On 11/17/2022 at 5:50 PM, Cyker said:

The next biggest mpg gain is from being able to roll through traffic non-stop instead of stop-starting. I try to gauge the average speed of traffic and leave a big enough buffer in front to roll at that speed while the car in front pulls away and then stops again. 

Absolutely.  A1 yesterday, set ACC at 62, eventually caught up with a panel van doing 58.  In lane 2 cars parked at 58 but tight spacing.  Brakes lights on and off while I maintained a steady 58, some times passing them on the inside, some times they gained on me. 

The only hazard then being the artic intent on doing 60 and aiming for the space in front of me. 

Quick blip on the spacing and he can drop back or overtake me and the panel van. 

-----

Happened the other day, b*gger overtook, pulled in in front of me and dropped back to the lane speed.  Quick right, accelerated to 62, overtook artic and the truck in front, quick left and carried on. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Derek.w said:

Yes I know its not normal gears more like a variable ratio pulleys.

Nope. It's a set of 'normal gears'. Technical term is planetary gear set.

gear1.png?w=693&ssl=1

https://hybridautopart.com/blog-en/toyota-prius-power-split-device/

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Roy124 said:

Happened the other day, b*gger overtook, pulled in in front of me and dropped back to the lane speed.  Quick right, accelerated to 62, overtook artic and the truck in front, quick left and carried on. 

Yeah I hate it when people take all that effort to overtake you then slot in front and end up going slower than you were originally going! Why not just pull in behind in the first place?!

But I looooooove being able to do that quick overtake in the hybrid - The instant response makes it so quick and easy! :biggrin: 

• Haha 1

The mopeds and 125s round here must be really powerful, as they can overtake on busy roads by swinging on the outside of traffic islands, and then cutting in again.

You can always tell when they are about to do this by the riders attire.

No gloves, no boots ,shorts (when it's a bit warmer) or 3 stripe sports gear, unlaced trainers with those silly little socks, giant helmet about the size of those on the 1969 moon mission, you get the picture.

Once they have fallen off, the riding gear miraculously changes to proper stuff.

• Like 3

AndrueC thanks for the diagram of planetery gears.

Planetery gears so no need for a automatic clutch or verabile ratio pulleys.

• Like 1

Last few full refills with Tesco momentum 99 e5, more London drives and more sensible motorways speeds and results are brilliant mpg 55+. From tomorrow a big freeze is coming, even last night was very cold and so thinking of loosing some efficiency but still best ever in winter to date. On summer tyres this season though., and that makes a huge difference. Perhaps they gets harder and lower even further their rolling resistance, now from touring became eco tyres 😂 👌

• Haha 1

I had been pondering the cost/benefit or switching to E5.  I figured I would need an 10-12% improvement on consumption.  Then in yesterday's Telegraph someone got an answer to that question /

"The Department for Transport says that E10 (which has been the standard grade of unleaded since September 2021) increases fuel consumption by “around one per cent”. Yet the Environmental Protection Agency in the USA reckons it is more like three to four per cent.

However, real-world testing by What Car? a few years ago revealed that the actual difference can be as much as 11.5 per cent, which is the drop in economy of a Dacia Sandero on test. At the same time it also tested a Hyundai i30, Toyota Prius+ and Mini Paceman and found similar reductions while using E10 versus pure petrol."

So it's definitely worth a punt.  Shell offer 10p/£10+ per visit so £1 off after 10 visits and for the E5 1p/l so £3 when you buy 300l.

I went to my local Shell station yesterday where E10 was £1.599.  I didn't note the E5 price they were sold out! 

Edit:

To add, in my 3 months of ownership the Yaris Cross consumption has gone from 64 to 62.

• Like 2

Roy, if you try E5 would you report back.  I am interested to know if E5 makes the 3 cylinder engine feel / sound smoother.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Trewithy said:

Roy, if you try E5 would you report back.  I am interested to know if E5 makes the 3 cylinder engine feel / sound smoother.

It were certainly ruff yesterday.  I was car park loitering for SWMBO yesterday and the heater and Battery charger were certainly noticeable though thankfully intermittent. 

I should be getting a couple of shots tomorrow which will give me around E7. 

Just one addition to the Shell £1 per 10 visits, with the higher cost the 10 visits will be after consuming less fuel. Spinning the numbers, I should get a £1 rebate after 62.l l of E10 but, assuming 15p extra, 57.7 l of E5. 

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links