Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Aygo wheel trim obstructs valve

Jouef

2021 Aygo x-play, steel 15in wheels with hubcaps. Nice quality tight-fitting hubcaps, but the aperture for the valve is so tight I cannot get a pump on to check and correct the pressures. The dust caps are difficult to reach so really fiddly to remove. My Michelin screw-on footpump took so long to attach the pressure loss was considerable, and my Halfords lock-on would not go on at all as there was no room to depress the lever. A push-on forecourt inflator could be forced on, only by bending the valve stem a little. I don’t want to remove the hubcaps to access the valves as (a) why should I, and (b) I would want to cable-tie each time them after the first removal to prevent loss.

Short valve stem extensions are available, but can they be left on permanently? Or am I to be driven to cutting down each hubcap moulding to create a wider aperture?

Remove the hubcap, some have a position that's larger for the valve stem

3 hours ago, flash22 said:

Remove the hubcap, some have a position that's larger for the valve stem

Good idea, and thanks, but not these unfortunately. The shape of the steel wheel juts out level with the valve stem (which is the normal length), which, plus the hubcap, means a sizeable aperture would be necessary. I may end up butchering the hubcaps to enlarge the opening, unless I can find extensions I can leave on. However, I am uneasy about extensions - it’s not my car, and must be foolproof. Safety-critical basic maintenance should not be this difficult.

58 minutes ago, Jouef said:

unless I can find extensions I can leave on. However, I am uneasy about extensions - it’s not my car, and must be foolproof. Safety-critical basic maintenance should not be this difficult.

I used to have a large motorhome which had twin rear wheels, the inner rear wheels had permanent extensions on the inner rear wheels (the only other way to check their pressures would have meant jacking it up and removing the outer wheels!). I never had any problems with the extensions leaking, so I would definitely suggest that you look around for some suitable (fairly short?) extensions.

Halfords have some Halfords Metal Valve Tyre Extenders

Edited by PetrolDave
Add link

1 hour ago, PetrolDave said:I never had any problems with the extensions leaking, so I would definitely suggest that you look around for some suitable (fairly short?) extensions.

Thanks, that is really useful to know. Those in the link look just the thing, except at 40mm would stick out. I need about 20mm. I will keep looking. I would fit them with a dab of medium-strength thread locker to prevent accidental removal, eg when using a screw-on inflator. And expect to renew one whenever a tyre is replaced - unless whoever is with the vehicle remembers to remove and save it.

• Like 1

Several 20mm ones appear in a Google search :thumbsup:

On 6/21/2021 at 8:29 AM, PetrolDave said:

Several 20mm ones appear in a Google search :thumbsup:

Thanks, I’ve ordered a set. A tricky search though, as some are ribbed not threaded (or just plain-ended), plastic not metal, temporary not permanent, or Presta not Schrader. And not always clear from the description. Another consideration is the effective length, i.e. minus the female thread, versus the overall length of the extender. That must be ascertained too. That was an evening wasted thanks to Aygo’s thoughtless wheel design.

1 hour ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Many thanks. Yes, that list has examples of the anomalies I described above. For example, a ribbed extension looks like a threaded one in photos, often not stipulated in the spec. That could leave me stranded in an emergency - many foam kits and portable compressors, and some footpumps, require threads. I found an independent supplier for my threaded extensions, to be fitted when I next see the car. I look forward to reporting back.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/23/2021 at 2:04 PM, Jouef said:

… I found an independent supplier for my threaded extensions, to be fitted when I next see the car. I look forward to reporting back.

Finally got hold of the Aygo, and fitted the valve extensions today. I found wrench-tight on one prevented air entry, so they went on hand-tight with blue thread-locker for a bit of security. They are now the perfect length - enough protruding to get an air-line connection on, while remaining level with the trim to avoid damage on kerbs etc. The threads accept dust caps and a threaded connector too. All tyres up to specified pressure, and will get a few extra checks during the early days. I wonder how many vehicles they’ve shipped with this stupid problem.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jouef said:

I wonder how many vehicles they’ve shipped with this stupid problem.

As far as I'm aware this is the first topic on this subject.

It is a weird oversight... next time you get your tyres changed, ask the tyre changer to swap the valves for ones with longer stems maybe. Lucky they're not TPMS ones as you have more choice with normal valves!.

9 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

As far as I'm aware this is the first topic on this subject.

my dad did mention it when he checks the pressures on my tyres, but he did manage to do it.

On 7/3/2021 at 8:56 PM, Jouef said:

Finally got hold of the Aygo, and fitted the valve extensions today …

I spoke too soon. The valve extensions worked with my footpump at home (though seemed a bit more resistant to air entry). However they would not seal onto a forecourt airline connector when I took them to test. There was just a continuous escape of air. I suspect the female extension threads may be longer than the valve’s males, preventing the rubber washer compressing enough to seal. Anyway, that’s that. Over to Plan B - next time I see the car I will be cutting down the hubcaps to enlarge the aperture. Not the most elegant solution, but I hope the nearest thing to a properly designed set-up. And Toyota will be receiving a complaint tomorrow.

I am surprised you not posted a photo yet, would clearly show the problem.

5 hours ago, Catlover said:

I am surprised you not posted a photo yet, would clearly show the problem.

Some of the other three are not as poorly centred. Ironically it makes this one easier if anything, as you can almost get one finger in instead of none.
https://postimg.cc/N924176t

4 hours ago, Jouef said:

Some of the other three are not as poorly centred. Ironically it makes this one easier if anything, as you can almost get one finger in instead of none.
https://postimg.cc/N924176t

Can't you just knock the hubcap round a few degrees clockwise to centre it on the valve?

1 hour ago, PetrolDave said:

Can't you just knock the hubcap round a few degrees clockwise to centre it on the valve?

Unfortunately that would make it worse. As I said above, ironically the poorly-centred one is easier if anything, as at least I can get one finger in (though there is no room to do anything with it). The others are better centred, which leaves hardly any room for fingers at all. The problem is not centring, it’s that the aperture is too tight and the valve too far recessed to get a connector onto it.

On 7/3/2021 at 10:21 PM, Cyker said:

... next time you get your tyres changed, ask the tyre changer to swap the valves for ones with longer stems maybe…

A good suggestion, thanks. However, as I said above “it’s not my car, and must be foolproof” so chances are I won’t be there to make this happen.

Know how you feel, we had a 107 for years with steelies and wheel trims and one it's annoyances has been the stupidly short tyre valves, never had issue with any other car with wheel trims and i have small hands/fingers and still struggled! Interestingly, we got a 108 few years ago again with steelies and wheel trims and joy of joys, had longer tyre valves so easier to check. On the 107 I do find it easier to check if the tyre valve is in the 'correct' position for my hand/fingers to remove the valve cap, but that is a pot luck thing, but again moving the car about to check each tyre is hardly ideal.

As said, I cable tie on my wheel trims so they stay on so don't really want to take them off every time, but why should I when it not an issue on other cars.

12 hours ago, Puglet said:

Know how you feel, we had a 107 for years with steelies and wheel trims and one it's annoyances has been the stupidly short tyre valves, never had issue with any other car with wheel trims …

Yes, sounds like the same problem. Although in my case, the valve stems are the same length as three other cars I had access to on the day. Two have alloys and one hubcaps. All valves easily accessible. I have assumed they are a standard or usual length, and the Aygo’s hubcap design is the problem. If the aperture was quite a bit larger, any connector could be used without needing a longer valve stem.

I never had the issue before either, despite years of hubcapped cars. Centring the valve first when fitting, and using cable ties. I always rejected the alloys option, as it was marketed on appearance and style. However, now they’re nearly ubiquitous, I understand alloys win on weight, durability and performance. And, from what I can see, on valve accessibility too.

13 minutes ago, Jouef said:

I always rejected the alloys option, as it was marketed on appearance and style. However, now they’re nearly ubiquitous, I understand alloys win on weight, durability and performance. And, from what I can see, on valve accessibility too.

I'm trying really hard to remember the last car I had with steel wheels - IIRC it was my first Austin Metro (an HLS) which I bought in 1981!

The last vehicle I owned with steel wheels was a Hymer S650 motorhome, which was base on a Mercedes Sprinter 416i with twin rear wheels (with very long valve extensions on the inner rear wheels).

1 hour ago, PetrolDave said:

I'm trying really hard to remember the last car I had with steel wheels - IIRC it was my first Austin Metro (an HLS) which I bought in 1981!

I think I bought a 2003 Touran with hubcaps. Both cars I’ve bought since had alloys as standard, so no option to reject. I had been taken in a couple of times by the ‘paintguard’ option (which can apparently be more cheaply and expertly applied by a professional detailer than any dealer). That is, until the last such purchase was keyed the first night (only one panel, primer-deep, 30cm scratch so never repaired it) and I thought what’s the point - just wash the damned thing occasionally. Back to topic, I’ve never been unable to attach a pump to a tyre valve, until this Aygo came into the family.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/5/2021 at 9:22 PM, Jouef said:

… And Toyota will be receiving a complaint tomorrow.

Talk about pillar to post. Toyota’s online complaint form requires you to select a subject, which takes you back to the customer enquiries menu (handily reducing my complaint to a mere enquiry). They said they can’t provide technical diagnosis, so ask a dealer. The dealer says they can’t influence design functionality, so if correctly fitted they can’t help.

I have concluded that the best solution is to replace the valves with longer stems as soon as possible. The question is, can ‘wrong’ length stems be argued to be incorrect factory fitting? That will determine whether Toyota does it free or I pay a local tyre shop.

• Like 1

Most manufacturers share the view about alloys, but I put my money were my mouth was and replaced the 17" alloys my Mk4 came with with 15" steels! Everyone thinks I'm crazy and it flummoxed the insurance company because they had no entry for it, but the ride is soooo much better and I don't have to freak out every time I hit a pot hole (Which has been a lot lately!) or particularly obnoxious speed hump!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links