Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Yaris production begins in Czech Republic.

FROSTYBALLS

Please Toyota don't use different parts between the french and czech cars like you did with the french and japanese Yaris Mk1s!!!!

I've great admiration for Czech engineering. Let's face it, how many of us have been on the London Eye and not fallen off? Who else could have built the Tatra with a rear engined V8 (Tatra MTX V8). They were also (allegedly) responsible for killing more Wehrmacht officers than the allies with their swing axle rear suspension.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Re Czech engineering, yes the London eye hub is an example, but remember that the pre ww2 Skoda cars were very good, but even though communism suppressed design the post war Skodas were not too shabby. In their class, Skoda cars were often successful in world rally championships. Skoda engineering/cars is well over 100 years old.

• Like 1

@FROSTYBALLS I’ll be getting one of the first of the Czech built Yaris. The link doesn’t say when production started.

As to Skoda, it appears the name has a long history, if Wikipedia is to believed. They appear to have made cannons amongst other things.

Edited by Stopeter44
Removed speculation
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Cyker said:

Please Toyota don't use different parts between the french and czech cars like you did with the french and japanese Yaris Mk1s!!!!

Funny you should say that. I would have thought it evident they were identically engineered with the same parts. But, you can never be sure!

My current car, for example, one of a batch built in France, does not have all the same fittings as others built in factories elsewhere, as I discovered when the front shock absorbers needed replacement!

Its likely Toyota do not manufacture parts like shock absorbers, so they will have suppliers spread around the world and a plant will likely source something nearby rather then far away i would have thought, maybe.

@Catlover I would have thought Toyota outsourced most of the components that make up their cars, and think that the specifications for any given part would leave no room for variation between suppliers. Given that the Yaris IV is Toyota's best seller in Europe right now, I wouldn't have thought they would want to create headaches with variations on, say, the shock absorber spec between French and Czech sourced Yaris.

In the case of the shock absorbers on my current car, what was different was the position, or lack of a position, I don't recall exactly of a clip for dressing a cable! Not much, but enough to mean the more expensive original factory specification shocks rather than a long lasting constructor approved equivalent. The garage said they systematically use the approved equivalent, but have only had trouble fitting to my car.

They will be alright, there is only one difference between Toyota cars and it’s those built in Japan and the rest of the world. It’s not down to parts or supply chain , it’s simply down to the human factor involved in the building process, but rest assured no matter where the car come from they will be up to the standard as Toyota has many Japanese engineers that goes around the world to monitor the quality of their products. 👌🎌, and if you don’t like Toyota build in Czech Republic then there is this one made in Russia 👌🤣 

Although this chart has the wrong version of Yaris shown on it, it is a sample selection of who-supplies-what in the mk. 4 Yaris when production was started in France.

The number of bought-in parts is the same as other brands of cars - a lot!

Yaris.pdf

• Thanks 2

I don't mind them sourcing parts from different suppliers, as long as they are the same part!

The maddening problem I had with the Mk1 is so many components were different between the Jappy and French ones, and not only different but incompatible, and nobody tells you this!

In my time with owning a Mk1, here is the list of things that caught me out that were COMPLETELY different between the French and Japanese Mk1s, despite them looking identical: Locks and Keys, Immobilizer, Brake discs, Pads and Calipers, Rear Wipers and Wing Mirrors and Wing Mirror Glass. And I'm sure that's not even scratching the surface, esp. since they e.g. both use completely different power steering systems!

The amount of times I had to return stuff because I got the wrong part... But I don't feel too silly as even the dealer did it a few times, and they had my car's reg and VIN!! :laugh: 

Manufacturers will source locally due to govt subsidies and fact Toyota will commit to using 60% locally sourced parts.
Whoever manufactures parts, will be subject to Toyota design and quality standards.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links