Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Fuel consumption

Micool

91 is very good! :thumbsup:  I don't think I've gotten more than mid-70's or less in my Yaris Mk4... usually less...:unsure: :sweatdrop: 

But I'm still getting over 70mpg so I don't care :biggrin:

Mine read 60 on the overall coming home from the dealer after picking it up.

Currently seems happy mid 50s round and about.

• Like 1

Just filled mine. Probably the last fill-up of winter at the rate I'm using. Previous fill was before Christmas. Pump to pump was 54.3 mpg. Car claimed 59.4.

31 minutes ago, Obsidian Estate said:

Mine read 60 on the overall coming home from the dealer after picking it up.

Currently seems happy mid 50s round and about.

That's very good for the 2.0L HSD! :thumbsup: 

17 minutes ago, AndrueC said:

Just filled mine. Probably the last fill-up of winter at the rate I'm using. Previous fill was before Christmas. Pump to pump was 54.3 mpg. Car claimed 59.4.

Yeah mine tends to be off by a similar amount - 3-5% getting worse the higher the mpg!

17 minutes ago, Tel_man said:

Do we know why the car consumption result is higher than the actual?

Nobody knows why, although there's always been speculation. Some say because the distance measurement is not accurate, or the fuel metering is not accurate. Some say the manual measurement/calculation is inaccurate. I suspect it's also partly to do with the Miller/Atkinson-cycle pushing some of the fuel-air mix back into the intake and not taking that into account. Probably some combination of all these things.

But this sort of inaccuracy has been there in every car since the first with an mpg meter, and not just Toyotas either.

I don't know of any car where the human measured/calculated and car reported mpg tallied up consistently...

• Like 1

Your own calculations can also be fallible. You can't be confident that you've filled the tank the same amount both times unless you've done both fill-ups from the exact same spot with the same pump and given it the same number of clicks etc. A little bit of incline can make quite a difference to how much fits in beyond what it takes to get the gauge to 'F'.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Red_Corolla said:

Your own calculations can also be fallible. You can't be confident that you've filled the tank the same amount both times unless you've done both fill-ups from the exact same spot with the same pump and given it the same number of clicks etc. A little bit of incline can make quite a difference to how much fits in beyond what it takes to get the gauge to 'F'.

If you are calculating it over the longer period, it doesn't really matter if you filled a little bit less or more one time. It will show in lower number of km-s or miles next time. And on the long run, it should average out anyway.
Overall, I still think it is more precise than BC. But usually, after few visits to the pump, you can find the "error offset" and just ad it to the BC figure, and that would be more than accurate enough for our needs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've always been filling to the very top - an extra litre or two after the pump stops automatically. Literally to the cap. Haven't seen the Corolla's tank filler yet, would I be able to do this? On some cars you can't see what is happening in the filler until the fuel starts coming out. Still doable, but got to be very careful - the best way calculating fuel consumption 

Should only fill to the first click.

Overfilling the fuel tank can damage the emissions equipment. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, forkingabout said:

Good to know

Thanks

Fill up report:

upon picking up the car, drove to the gas station to fill her up almost two weeks ago. Filled up today again because the car was giving me those low fuel messages and that I had 20km of range left. Was able to get only 34 liters in. Clearly range calculation is setup to be very pro-active.

i had a 5.5 l/100km consumption on the screen. 34.27 liters of fuel and 615km of distance covered. If you do the old school consumption calculation, still comes up to 5.5 liters. One thing to note though, it was the same petrol station and the same pump both times. 

3 hours ago, forkingabout said:

Don’t stress about that too much, to have your system damage you have to overfilled every time you stop to refill and by so much that you can see the fuel at the neck. I do fill up 3-4 times a week and what I do is when the pump clicks just go a bit more to round the numbers of ££ for example £33.25- £34 👍 I also done few times full to the neck and even fuel started to come out of the car at stupid station that the ground was at very sharp incline and the pump didn’t stop on time, I always fill up full and when I realised what happened the fuel was out, very inconvenient situations. 

• Like 1

I've seen an extreme inaccuracy twice now and under similar circumstances. On both occasions I drove to North Wales in one trip (about 190 miles) at a steady 60 mph. Over the next couple of days I visited some golf courses. When I finally filled up the dashboard was underreporting by a crazy 20%. From memory I think the car was reporting over 70 mpg but it actually turned out to be low 60s.

• Like 1

On 2/1/2022 at 9:41 PM, Tel_man said:

I usually use Fuelly to track my mpg. I used it over 20k miles in my GT 86.

I normally fill up till the pump clicks then write the mileage of the tank on the receipt and zero the trip. Then enter the details in to Fuelly when I get home.

By the way, I can't get rid of that quote box and I've no idea why it's there in the first place 😆

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/2/2022 at 11:05 PM, Obsidian Estate said:

I usually use Fuelly to track my mpg. I used it over 20k miles in my GT 86.

I normally fill up till the pump clicks then write the mileage of the tank on the receipt and zero the trip. Then enter the details in to Fuelly when I get home.

By the way, I can't get rid of that quote box and I've no idea why it's there in the first place 😆

I do exactly like you and use an app called Fuelio which is free. Keeps track of mpg, pence per mile and all sort of stats. Also shows cheapest fuel around me. 

I have recently taken delivery of a brand new Corolla Hatchback 1.8 and am surprised at the lack of efficiency so far. Coming from a 2.0 turbo petrol vehicle I was hoping for far better due to the hybrid system, as I mainly drive in urban environments .

I am aware that new vehicles have to be run in and efficiency is said to increase once run in.

For example I completed a short journey yesterday, around 2 miles, however lost 6/7 miles from the estimated range. This was with steady driving too, aiming to use the EV wherever possible.

Is this normal? 

Short journeys are the worst for a hybrid, as the engine will run for most of it, to warm it up.

What sort of mpg were you expecting?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Benn1991 said:

I have recently taken delivery of a brand new Corolla Hatchback 1.8 and am surprised at the lack of efficiency so far. Coming from a 2.0 turbo petrol vehicle I was hoping for far better due to the hybrid system, as I mainly drive in urban environments .

I am aware that new vehicles have to be run in and efficiency is said to increase once run in.

For example I completed a short journey yesterday, around 2 miles, however lost 6/7 miles from the estimated range. This was with steady driving too, aiming to use the EV wherever possible.

Is this normal? 

You haven't told us what mpg you're seeing so it's hard to comment.

Over the year I probably average just over 60 mpg which is almost entirely extra-urban with a little long distance driving (60 mph on motorways) and almost no short trips.

Trying to stay in EV mode might be counter-productive. The electricity in the Battery isn't 'free energy'. It all got there as a result of you burning fuel. If you force the car into EV mode too often it might have to resort to charging the Battery in ways that push the ICE into inefficient operation whereas I believe left to its own devices the ICE only charges as much as it can where it best suits it.

Also at this time of winter the ICE has to run anyway to generate cabin heat and to get itself up to temperature and that will affect mpg, most significantly on short trips.

The hybrid system is good but it's not perfect. The same things are true for hybrids as they are for conventional vehicles:

* Short trips will hurt.

* Reducing use of the brakes will improve fuel consumption.

The only thing that I think is unique to hybrids is that stop/start journeys are very efficient as long as the engine isn't allowed to cool.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, AndrueC said:

* Short trips will hurt.

* Reducing use of the brakes will improve fuel consumption.

The only thing that I think is unique to hybrids is that stop/start journeys are very efficient as long as the engine isn't allowed to cool.

On very short trips, I don't even start the heating, and getting stuck in traffic isn't near as frustrating with a hybrid as with ICE, much of the time, the engine won't even kick in.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Benn1991 said:

Is this normal? 

What is your real mpg brim to brim measured? As everyone has already said the cold and the short trips kills the efficiency, although if you are getting around 50+ mpg it’s not a bad result, 2.0 will be even worse 42-46mpg. 

4 hours ago, Benn1991 said:

If you are looking at the estimated number of miles you can do on the remaining fuel in the tank you will find that the figure does not necessarily correlate with the miles you are doing.  in fact, under the right circumstances the range can even increase as you are driving.  You are better informed by calculating the MPG by the brim to brim (first fuel cut off) method, and then work out the mileage by the amount of fuel in against actual miles covered.  I  have the fuel consumption showing on the dash and it resets at every fuel fill. It can also be set to show the fuel consumption for each trip or the overall consumption.  I wouldn't bother switching it into EV, it is not an electric vehicle.  instead let the car decide when to use EV mode and you will get the best mileage, after all Toyota have many years experience of programming their hybrids to get maximum efficiency with respect to the prevailing circumstances. 

• Like 3

If you have not done it already, go onto You Tune and watch driving techniques for Toyota hybrid cars. Loads for Prius, but by now some Corolla I would think, but the principle is the same.

13 hours ago, Trewithy said:

If you are looking at the estimated number of miles you can do on the remaining fuel in the tank you will find that the figure does not necessarily correlate with the miles you are doing.  in fact, under the right circumstances the range can even increase as you are driving.  You are better informed by calculating the MPG by the brim to brim (first fuel cut off) method, and then work out the mileage by the amount of fuel in against actual miles covered.  I  have the fuel consumption showing on the dash and it resets at every fuel fill. It can also be set to show the fuel consumption for each trip or the overall consumption.  I wouldn't bother switching it into EV, it is not an electric vehicle.  instead let the car decide when to use EV mode and you will get the best mileage, after all Toyota have many years experience of programming their hybrids to get maximum efficiency with respect to the prevailing circumstances. 

Thanks for the replies, it all makes sense!

I am by no means a “hyper miler” or someone who is too hung up on mpg, I was just asking the question as initially, the car seemed to be less efficient than it had maybe been sold to be. That being said, as mentioned initially, coming from a 300hp petrol car that did 25mpg when driving steady, anything is an improvement!

I did a couple of longer journeys yesterday and did see some good figures on the MyT app (I know these may not be 100% accurate), cheers!

51 minutes ago, Benn1991 said:

I did a couple of longer journeys yesterday and did see some good figures on the MyT app (I know these may not be 100% accurate), cheers!

They are not too far off, but I think they are maybe 10% optimistic. As I joked the other day, the Toyota has a built in "game", you can keep track of your scores through the My T app for all* the trips you make. What you can see, but you knew it already, is that very short trips, unless ICE is already warm, consume much more per km/mile than the longer trips, you can see, also, that cutting cabin heating reduces that impact.

Given how petrol prices have gone up by 15% in as many days, I'm thinking that an overall reduction of say 5% in my cruising speed would show closer to 10% improvement in fuel economy. Maybe I am overthinking ?

* some trips don't get logged, for some reason.

During warm up I think it's more acceleration than cruising that uses the fuel.  Up to a certain speed it doesn't seem to make a difference to the engine rpm as it's quite high anyway,

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links