Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Fuel consumption

Micool

2 hours ago, Yugguy1970 said:

During warm up I think it's more acceleration than cruising that uses the fuel.  Up to a certain speed it doesn't seem to make a difference to the engine rpm as it's quite high anyway,

Indeed, the rpm stays the same and the car is propelled by the electric motor and the Battery drains quickly then recharging again, but if you floor it the engine rises rpm to help with acceleration. I usually wait 1-2 minutes before driving off for the engine to warm up when cold., when weather is warm I wait just 30 sec to a minute max. 

5 hours ago, Benn1991 said:

Thanks for the replies, it all makes sense!

I am by no means a “hyper miler” or someone who is too hung up on mpg, I was just asking the question as initially, the car seemed to be less efficient than it had maybe been sold to be. That being said, as mentioned initially, coming from a 300hp petrol car that did 25mpg when driving steady, anything is an improvement!

I did a couple of longer journeys yesterday and did see some good figures on the MyT app (I know these may not be 100% accurate), cheers!

On my 2 litre CHR, I am on 45mpg but I have barely done 175 miles of several short 3-10 miles journey. My 1 litre ICE turbo petrol used to give similar but it has much lower power.

• Like 1

Benn1991,

I also came to my 1.8 hybrid from a turbo petrol car.  Initially I missed the instant response of the turbo which I usually drove on a light throttle opening.  With the hybrid I had to give it a lot more throttle and felt the performance was still a bit flat, but it is programmed for economy not performance. However on a couple of occasions when joining a motorway I have suddenly given it a lot of throttle and have been surprised how fast it picks up speed.  Also you can flick it into sport mode, the difference between this and normal mode is very noticeable it is much faster when pulling away from rest.  

I would have liked the 2 litre engine but the loss of boot space was not acceptable to me.  Given how the price of fuel has increased recently I am now very happy with my 1.8. 

Happy motoring

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Trewithy said:

Benn1991,

I also came to my 1.8 hybrid from a turbo petrol car.  Initially I missed the instant response of the turbo which I usually drove on a light throttle opening.  With the hybrid I had to give it a lot more throttle and felt the performance was still a bit flat, but it is programmed for economy not performance. However on a couple of occasions when joining a motorway I have suddenly given it a lot of throttle and have been surprised how fast it picks up speed.  Also you can flick it into sport mode, the difference between this and normal mode is very noticeable it is much faster when pulling away from rest.  

I would have liked the 2 litre engine but the loss of boot space was not acceptable to me.  Given how the price of fuel has increased recently I am now very happy with my 1.8. 

Happy motoring

We wanted Corolla 2 litre as well but when we saw the little boot space, we decided to go with 2 litre CHR instead. Having said that, I drive it in the eco mode in town!

If I lived somewhere flat I would use Eco mode a lot more than I do now.  I am in an area where there are a lot of hills, some of them quite step so to make any progress it is necessary to use a lot of throttle in eco mode which is counter productive.  I have experimented in the past with eco mode Vs normal mode and for my situation eco was no more economical than normal plus in eco the uphill performance was incredibly dull so I just leave it to do its own thing in normal mode.  After going up the hills you have to come down so there is plenty of opportunity with a bit of light braking for plenty of regen.

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links