Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Solar charger for my Yaris hybrid 2021. Advice please.

BugsyB

Sorry to open this thread up again but we are getting our first hybrid Yaris this week and after reading lots of Battery related threads, it wouldn’t surprise me if we get a few Battery problems especially over the winter with our low usage? The easiest solution for us would seem to be a solar charger plugged into the Obd2 socket? Is this a successful method for keeping the Battery topped up and does it work plugging into the Obd2 socket rather than directly to the battery? I read different things when reading the questions on Amazon for the AA solar charger!

is anyone else using this method who can tell me their experience?

cheers Dave 

I purchased a solar charger from Amazon that plugs in to the OBD socket. We went on holiday in May for 2 weeks and parked at the airport. I plugged in the solar charger just before I locked the car. On arriving back the car started first time with ample charge showing. Do remember though to unplug the charger before you start the car.

Here is the link for the charger, I hope that it helps you. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00AC1LLQY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, MikeB2 said:

I purchased a solar charger from Amazon that plugs in to the OBD socket. We went on holiday in May for 2 weeks and parked at the airport. I plugged in the solar charger just before I locked the car. On arriving back the car started first time with ample charge showing. Do remember though to unplug the charger before you start the car.

Here is the link for the charger, I hope that it helps you. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00AC1LLQY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hi Mike, thanks for the information, just what I wanted to hear. I wasn’t sure whether I needed to get a jump starter instead.

4 minutes ago, Dala said:

I recommend https://optimate1.com/tm522d2/
In the sun - the next morning the battery showed 12.6V-12.7V
With clouds, rain - the next morning the battery showed 12.4V-12.5V
After seven days of standing the car, I measured a voltage of 12.7V

Very impressive figures but a bit too expensive for me. I would probably go for a jump pack if I wanted to spend more money. 

Thanks for the recommendation though 👍

solar panel or smart charger = keeping the car Battery in good condition
jump pack = dead car Battery
which variant is better for a longer life of the car Battery?

Solar charger is better than a jump starter pack.

My 20 watt solar charger on a bright day will take the charge upto 14.5 volts but this is for maby 10 minutes then a cloud will come across droping it down to 13.6volts.

Just a sample from a tipical day up north (Durham area)

IMG_0304.thumb.PNG.a461745c81586b56cbb1dd810c4774a8.PNG

I do not recommend pluging a 20 watt unit into ODB port MFG ring do not produce one for a 20 watt solar panel.

Thats why mine is going directly to the Battery via its own fuse.

9 hours ago, Derek.w said:

I do not recommend pluging a 20 watt unit into ODB port MFG ring do not produce one for a 20 watt solar panel.

Thats why mine is going directly to the battery via its own fuse.

I am considering the AA 4.8 watt unit that should be fine to plug into the OBD2 socket shouldn’t it??

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Derek.w said:

Curious,  why? 

I was in Halfords Monday and they had a display of AA chargers with different sizes -  before you buy,  consider stowage size.  

Will it fit on the dash -  some cars won't have acres of space?

Where will you stow it -  a boot side pocket might be ideal but the largest panel might not fit?

21 hours ago, MikeB2 said:

Do remember though to unplug the charger before you start the car.

Mike, not challenging you,  but why must it be unplugged? 

If this is essential then I have realised it is a no-no for my usage.   If we use airport parking we use valet parking.   On cruise parking the car is invariably valet parked and even moved between car parks. 

We could not be sure that the car park drivers properly connected and disconnected the solar panel. 

Surely the valet parking companies are prepared for flat batteries ?  So, not really a problem for you.

31 minutes ago, Graham47 said:

Surely the valet parking companies are prepared for flat batteries ?  So, not really a problem for you.

I suspect they are.   At the cruise terminal I have seen a heavy duty Battery jumper pack on a trolley.   After a 16 day fly holiday the car park people did not mention any problem but I guess they may have used a jumper. 

In a very short time I expect they will have experienced every car system and like the road side mechanics will know where to connect their jumpers. 

For self-parking a solar charger will avoid the necessity of the long lonely "!Removed!"  trudge rather than roadside vagabond  😁 to the office. At one airport the park was so large it was served by a bus. 

4 hours ago, Roy124 said:

Mike, not challenging you,  but why must it be unplugged? 

If this is essential then I have realised it is a no-no for my usage.   If we use airport parking we use valet parking.   On cruise parking the car is invariably valet parked and even moved between car parks. 

We could not be sure that the car park drivers properly connected and disconnected the solar panel. 

In reply to your query Roy, it is advised to unplug the charger from the port before starting the car because you could possibly cause a surge of power and blow fuses. I am only going on the instructions provided with the Solar charger unit. I hope this helps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Bit like having to carry a, starter handle in case the Battery would not turn the engine over 😁

3 hours ago, Roy124 said:

Bit like having to carry a, starter handle in case the battery would not turn the engine over 😁

That brings back memories of an old morris minor I had many moons ago. You had to get the starter handle just right or you would get an almighty kick back that would make you wince

On 8/22/2022 at 7:07 PM, dave hendy said:

Sorry to open this thread up again but we are getting our first hybrid Yaris this week and after reading lots of battery related threads, it wouldn’t surprise me if we get a few battery problems especially over the winter with our low usage? The easiest solution for us would seem to be a solar charger plugged into the Obd2 socket? Is this a successful method for keeping the battery topped up and does it work plugging into the Obd2 socket rather than directly to the battery? I read different things when reading the questions on Amazon for the AA solar charger!

is anyone else using this method who can tell me their experience?

cheers Dave 

I went with the AA solar charger plugged into OBD2.

I plug it in when I park in the driveway and unplug before starting car the next time I'm going somewhere.

I haven't had any issues so far.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, OrangeYaris said:

I went with the AA solar charger plugged into OBD2.

I plug it in when I park in the driveway and unplug before starting car the next time I'm going somewhere.

I haven't had any issues so far.

After recommendations I think I will go with the AA solar charger and hopefully it will meet our needs 🤔👍

• Like 2

It is good to combine with a microprocessor charger.
One input - two charging options.

On 8/24/2022 at 7:16 PM, dave hendy said:

After recommendations I think I will go with the AA solar charger and hopefully it will meet our needs 🤔👍

Picked up our 21 plate Design hybrid today, charger arrives  tomorrow. Love the active cruise control. Hopefully the 40 mile journey home will keep the Battery going until the charger is working although might have had the doors etc open for too long when we got it home.

I have seen people complaining about using ODB ports with various types of devices and the unlucky ones pluging them in live (I presume) end up spiking the data port.

11 hours ago, dave hendy said:

Hopefully the 40 mile journey home will keep the battery going until the charger is working although might have had the doors etc open for too long when we got it home.

Dave,  the journey home is fine as are open doors.   The Battery 'killer' is playing the radio using accessory mode.   The car knows this and automatically switches off after a time around 20 minutes. The problem arises if you then switch accessory mode back on. 

If you just want to have to doors open while you learn how to use everything put it in Ready mode.   The hybrid Battery will manage the 12v Battery and the car is intelligent enough to start the engine,  recharge the hybrid battery and switch off. 

Where the solar charger comes into its own is to recharge the parasitic discharge of the car is parked up unused for a number of days.   I can't put a number on it as it all depends on how the 12v battery is managed. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

One more piece of advice. If you don't intend to drive off but simply go to Ready mode,  switch off the ventilation fan.   This will prevent the car running the air con and the fan.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Roy124 said:

Dave,  the journey home is fine as are open doors.   The battery 'killer' is playing the radio using accessory mode.   The car knows this and automatically switches off after a time around 20 minutes. The problem arises if you then switch accessory mode back on. 

If you just want to have to doors open while you learn how to use everything put it in Ready mode.   The hybrid battery will manage the 12v battery and the car is intelligent enough to start the engine,  recharge the hybrid battery and switch off. 

Where the solar charger comes into its own is to recharge the parasitic discharge of the car is parked up unused for a number of days.   I can't put a number on it as it all depends on how the 12v battery is managed. 

Thanks for the advice Roy, I did have the ignition on for sometime yesterday going through settings etc. The car started fine this morning although the petrol engine kicked in straight away (fan off). Just been to Shrewsbury and back, about 25 minutes each way and the car is showing 81 mpg! Can’t complain at that.

2 hours ago, dave hendy said:

the petrol engine kicked in straight away (fan off).

Depends on the state of the hybrid Battery

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links