Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New Yaris collected today

Starensis

8 minutes ago, Kental said:

Of all the cars we have had over the last 20 years (22 cars) the only two I felt were almost perfect is my current Skoda Octavia & 9 years ago a Seat Mii. Budget models from same parent company.

4 Renaults, 3 Vauxhalls, 7 Fords, 3 Toyotas, 2 Peugeots & 1 Honda are / were noticeably worse. The Yaris is well in the top half of the others so unfortunately within tolerances. 

Best car I’ve had in every aspect is a Lexus CT200h. Kept it for 9 years but had to move to something higher - hence why I bought a C-HR ( which is also good for fit and finish ).

All Lexus are built in Japan - can’t go wrong buying the brand.

• Like 1

It's all about perspective I guess. See this is why I always preferred 2nd hand cars - cheaper and my expectations are lower! The more imperfections on the car the higher my haggling power! :laugh: 

I must admit tho' that as a first-time new car buying experience, it's soured me on doing it again. 

4 minutes ago, Starensis said:

Best car I’ve had in every aspect is a Lexus CT200h. Kept it for 9 years but had to move to something higher - hence why I bought a C-HR ( which is also good for fit and finish ).

All Lexus are built in Japan - can’t go wrong buying the brand.

Where is the C-HR built? From what you were saying earlier, my UK built Corolla should be better than the FR built Yaris.

5 minutes ago, Cyker said:

It's all about perspective I guess. See this is why I always preferred 2nd hand cars - cheaper and my expectations are lower! The more imperfections on the car the higher my haggling power! :laugh: 

I must admit tho' that as a first-time new car buying experience, it's soured me on doing it again. 

This is also our first new car having previously only bought 2/3 year old cars. The experience has soured the excitement of having it ( or not having it atm ) to extent where I’d tread very very carefully and do my homework before I sign on the dotted line again.

I’ve always given advice to new car buyers. Never buy a new car until after it’s been in production at least 18 months/2 years. Need to heed my own advice. 🥴

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Kental said:

Where is the C-HR built? From what you were saying earlier, my UK built Corolla should be better than the FR built Yaris.

C-HR is built in Turkey.

Initially I scoffed at buying one because of where they were built, however, having looked around a few, I was pleasantly surprised around build quality. It is an higher end car in comparison to the Yaris I know, but no excuse from Toyota imo.

Corolla is built at Burnaston: quality in general coming out of there is very good. It’s been a good while though since I worked there, so not sure if the exacting quality standards they demanded are still adhered to. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Starensis said:

C-HR is built in Turkey.

Initially I scoffed at buying one because of where they were built, however, having looked around a few, I was pleasantly surprised around build quality. It is an higher end car in comparison to the Yaris I know, but no excuse from Toyota imo.

Corolla is built at Burnaston: quality in general coming out of there is very good. It’s been a good while though since I worked there, so not sure if the exacting quality standards they demanded are still adhered to. 

I have a build date of 12/5 so either later this month or next month I’ll let you know 👍

• Like 1

Yeah, I normally have a rule on buying a new car (i.e. Don't) but a combination of KHAAAN! and his money grubbing ULEZ forcing me to ditch the Mk1 D4D, and the replacement Mk2 shatting itself repeatedly, forced me to decide - Either get an even worse car, or blow my EV savings fund early on a new car.

Up 'til then I had no upgrade path for my old Yaris Mk1 D4D because there was literally no car that came even close until the Mk4, and even the Mk4 is not better, but a side-grade (albeit a very expensive side-grade!).

Still, it has the accolade of being the only car I know of that can match or beat my Mk1 D4D for mpg in real life under all conditions even while being thrashed about, while also having similarly torquey driving characteristics and markedly improved handling.

It does lots of things worse than the Mk1 and Mk2 (Visibility is dreadful, car is much bigger but has less space for people, internal storage lacking and inflexible etc.), but it nails the important things and is a lot of fun to drive. Also it has a HUD! How many other B-segment cars have a HUD?! And it can almost drive itself! :biggrin: 

The only way it could have been better is if it was a full EV, but we're not even close to having a full EV that can match the range of this yet, even with its tiny fuel tank! Maybe in 5-10 years but I'm not holding my breath...

I don't regret getting it - The car is smegging awesome; It's just the dealer experience bit that spoilt what would have been a perfect scenario.

• Like 1

. My dealer won't accept anyone purchasing from the showroom, which is a shame as they are all spot on 

as for getting a new replacement, that's a very difficult undertaking unless you know your dealer well. In that case no problem 

The current one (XP210) is made in France (TMMF Valenciennes) and the Czech republic (TMMCZ Kolin)

I think the hybrid engine is made in Poland tho'.

• Like 1

Just now, Cyker said:

The current one (XP210) is made in France (TMMF Valenciennes) and the Czech republic (TMMCZ Kolin)

Thanks 🙂 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Cyker said:

I think the hybrid engine is made in Poland tho'.

That is my understanding. The engine is a cutdown version of the 2.0 from the Corolla, also built in Poland.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Cyker said:

Yeah, I normally have a rule on buying a new car (i.e. Don't) but a combination of KHAAAN! and his money grubbing ULEZ forcing me to ditch the Mk1 D4D, and the replacement Mk2 shatting itself repeatedly, forced me to decide - Either get an even worse car, or blow my EV savings fund early on a new car.

Up 'til then I had no upgrade path for my old Yaris Mk1 D4D because there was literally no car that came even close until the Mk4, and even the Mk4 is not better, but a side-grade (albeit a very expensive side-grade!).

Still, it has the accolade of being the only car I know of that can match or beat my Mk1 D4D for mpg in real life under all conditions even while being thrashed about, while also having similarly torquey driving characteristics and markedly improved handling.

It does lots of things worse than the Mk1 and Mk2 (Visibility is dreadful, car is much bigger but has less space for people, internal storage lacking and inflexible etc.), but it nails the important things and is a lot of fun to drive. Also it has a HUD! How many other B-segment cars have a HUD?! And it can almost drive itself! :biggrin: 

The only way it could have been better is if it was a full EV, but we're not even close to having a full EV that can match the range of this yet, even with its tiny fuel tank! Maybe in 5-10 years but I'm not holding my breath...

I don't regret getting it - The car is smegging awesome; It's just the dealer experience bit that spoilt what would have been a perfect scenario.

We came from a current shape pre facelift Fiesta and the Yaris handles just as well as that. It is a brilliant overall package for us as our daughter is now at university with her own car so we don’t need rear seat space (not that the Fiesta was great for that either).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Starensis said:

C-HR is built in Turkey.

Initially I scoffed at buying one because of where they were built.

One of reasons it was on my list after the UK built Corolla - which couldn't offer the equipment I required so I bought a C-HR instead.

• Like 1

It's all good info and advice. We all have our differing standards also, so some will be very pleased with their cars, others not so much.

I do hope Toyota up their game wrt build quality; their cars are class leading in Reliability and MPG. 

I remember a few years ago, Totota dropped the ball on Quality in an attempt to become the Worlds largest manufacturer of Vehicles. They soon realised this and stepped back to basics ( TPS ). It seems like we're in this cycle again of churning our medicore quality - to ensure customers receive their cars within an acceptable timescale. I'd rather wait a bit longer for a quality car.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Kental said:

That is my understanding. The engine is a cutdown version of the 2.0 from the Corolla, also built in Poland.

It amuses me to think they just lopped off one of the cylinders from the M20A to make the M15A - The cylinders are the same size, it's just missing one! :laugh: 

13 hours ago, Kental said:

We came from a current shape pre facelift Fiesta and the Yaris handles just as well as that. It is a brilliant overall package for us as our daughter is now at university with her own car so we don’t need rear seat space (not that the Fiesta was great for that either).

Yeah, you can really feel the work that went into stiffening the chassis of the TNGA platform cars. I don't know what's happening at Toyota - Where everyone else seems to be making giant wallowy land boats, they're doing the opposite and doing a damned good job of it too!

I wasn't expecting such nice handling - Traditionally that's been one of Ford's strengths for reasons I still don't understand, and I wasn't expecting it in the Mk4, especially coming from the Mk1 and Mk2, which were hilariously rolly if you threw them round a corner with 4 passengers :laugh: 

It does make me tend to take corners faster than I probably should sometimes tho', but the extra ~200kg of the car then reminds me of that :unsure: :laugh: 

Still not had the car back. They’re still assessing what needs to be done and if Toyota will pay for the work to be carried out. Getting a bit peed off with it all.

Only had the car for a week and it’s been at Toyota now for nearly another week. CR won’t move on anything until they get the assessment of what needs to be done and costs.

They will see what the cost will be. If high, they will order us another car and do bare minimum on ours and re-sell. If costs are reasonable, looks like we will be asked to have it back. From what I’ve been told, it could be wings, bonnet and bumper removal to re-adjust hinges and panels. Not happy with having our brand new car stripped! They never go back together the same ( not that I want the same inferior standards ). 

Will hopefully know more Tuesday/Wednesday next week. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

31 minutes ago, Starensis said:

Still not had the car back. They’re still assessing what needs to be done and if Toyota will pay for the work to be carried out. Getting a bit peed off with it all.

Only had the car for a week and it’s been at Toyota now for nearly another week. CR won’t move on anything until they get the assessment of what needs to be done and costs.

They will see what the cost will be. If high, they will order us another car and do bare minimum on ours and re-sell. If costs are reasonable, looks like we will be asked to have it back. From what I’ve been told, it could be wings, bonnet and bumper removal to re-adjust hinges and panels. Not happy with having our brand new car stripped! They never go back together the same ( not that I want the same inferior standards ). 

Will hopefully know more Tuesday/Wednesday next week. 

i would reject this car, which you are entitled to do, as it's under a month old. i would not look for any type of repair as this could invalidate that part of the law 

The car would never be the same having to have the panels removed, as cars that have parts removed always end up with other faults showing up down the line 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, fourbanks said:

The car would never be the same having to have the panels removed, as cars that have parts removed always end up with other faults showing up down the line 

You should always stick to the law and not get involved 

What are my rights to reject a new car?

Under the Consumer Rights Act, if the vehicle goes wrong within the first 30 days of ownership, you can simply reject it for a full refund.

I’m giving them until Wednesday to either put it right - with the caveat we look at car in detail after on a ramp in workshop or reject car. 
If we reject car - if they can’t find a replacement quickly, fine, if not, I’ll drive what I have until new one arrives ( probably September ).

The other piss off factor is they’ve ( Listers ) loaned us an Aygo - with a promise to replace it with another Yaris within 2 days. That was 6 days ago. They claim all new Yaris have been sold! 🤬🤬

Communication has been poor the last few days also, so will report this.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Starensis said:

I’m giving them until Wednesday to either put it right - with the caveat we look at car in detail after on a ramp in workshop or reject car. 
If we reject car - if they can’t find a replacement quickly, fine, if not, I’ll drive what I have until new one arrives ( probably September ).

The other ***** off factor is they’ve ( Listers ) loaned us an Aygo - with a promise to replace it with another Yaris within 2 days. That was 6 days ago. They claim all new Yaris have been sold! 🤬🤬

i would not be getting involved in discussions, just reject the car and move on, it's the best way, trust me. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Starensis said:

The other ***** off factor is they’ve ( Listers ) loaned us an Aygo - with a promise to replace it with another Yaris within 2 days. That was 6 days ago. They claim all new Yaris have been sold! 🤬🤬

Well, they have one white with bonnet misaligned so they can let you drive your current Yaris until new one arrives at September and after you double check all is fit correctly you can return the one you have and they can sell it as used one for extra £2-3k, everyone happy. You can offer them exactly that 👌👍

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Well, they have one white with bonnet misaligned so they can let you drive your current Yaris until new one arrives at September and after you double check all is fit correctly you can return the one you have and they can sell it as used one for extra £2-3k, everyone happy. You can offer them exactly that 👌👍

Yep, that’s the plan.

• Like 2

Had a call this morning - car is ready for collection today. They have “reset” profiles in body shop.

I have informed them; if it’s not to standard spec, the car will be rejected. 

Will add an update on outcome; tomorrow.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links