Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Any tips how to maximise hybrid mpg whilst driving?

Bruce Lea

12 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Hi,

using of the heating may impact but not as much. It is a combination of colder temperatures, all season ( winter tyres fitted), driving style and places etc. Set the heating to your preferred temperature and drive the car as you have always drive any previous cars. This hybrids in general promote very relaxing and fuel saving drive. You learn tips from here, the car is pushing you to drive relaxed and with the time you will master the technique and even you try and drive a manual car afterwards again you will be getting better mpg for sure. 👍

This morning range dropped to 498miles and 52mpg where two days ago was 503 and 55mpg. Nothing unexpected. I drive at night only and temps are lower than during daytime. I already seen ice on top of my shed the week before and it was 4C° . Btw wind, rain, and under inflated tyres kill hybrid efficiency more than any other type of cars. 👍

Hi Tony, how are you getting 498miles range showing on a full tank? Is your fuel tank same as a 2012-2016 Auris hybrid? Why because my range is not showing over 400miles on a full tank

Hi, 

the tanks are same size or similar however the range will vary and will depend on how and where you drive the car, how efficient was your drive prior to fill up with fuel. More efficient you drive more range you will see. I drive long distances and this perhaps changes the things. For the tyres you can do with either of these but if you about comfort and fuel economy and you like Michelin you will need to look at Primacy 4 + or perhaps Goodyear efficient grip performance 2. These are touring summer tyres, the most comfortable and fuel saving tyres. The cross climate are all season which are also good but where they shine is cold weather performance and on snow, at the price of few mpg loss. 

• Like 2

Primacy 4 + or Goodyear efficient grip performance are summer tyres and not run flat and in UK you get 6 months of cold weather 

2 hours ago, Bruce Lea said:

Primacy 4 + or Goodyear efficient grip performance are summer tyres and not run flat and in UK you get 6 months of cold weather 

True, 

if you live outside big city in a hilly valley then best to look at all season tyres like cross climate, vector 4 season or similar. Efficiency with those is immediately reduced by 5mpg as they have higher rolling resistance plus they are a bit heavier tyres but safety will not be compromised. You can also drive safely on snow with all season while summer tyres are dangerous on snow even with a just few white flurries on the ground. ❄️☀️🛞

3 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

True, 

if you live outside big city in a hilly valley then best to look at all season tyres like cross climate, vector 4 season or similar. Efficiency with those is immediately reduced by 5mpg as they have higher rolling resistance plus they are a bit heavier tyres but safety will not be compromised. You can also drive safely on snow with all season while summer tyres are dangerous on snow even with a just few white flurries on the ground. ❄️☀️🛞

Tony, can you provide links to the tyres you mentioned, thanks

Done 430 miles with 70 miles on reserve, filled up £58

Not getting anywhere near to over 450-500 miles on full tank

I’m no mathematician but 430 + 70 = 500 miles.

not sure what you are expecting here, but let’s be honest before you bought the car you didn’t even know how many wheels it had so I’d call your fuel usage a winner tbh 😊

• Like 1

If all these calculations are correct you had traveled 430 miles with 36 Ltr of fuel and this equals at around 54mpg, for your car this is an excellent results. 👍 Don’t watch Yaris 70-80mpg, these figures were never possible in auris hybrids. Auris Hybrid 50mpg and anything above is good fuel consumption. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, the Mk4 Yaris mpg is just stupid and can't be compared with anything else right now. That said, sometimes I do wish the interior was as comfortable as the Auris! (Driving to Leicester and back in the Mk4, while worth it because the Retro Computing Museum there is totally awesome and you should all visit it with your kids, is not something I think I can do regularly as even my Spinal Support Towel can only help so much! :wacko:)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

If all these calculations are correct you had traveled 430 miles with 36 Ltr of fuel and this equals at around 54mpg, for your car this is an excellent results. 👍 Don’t watch Yaris 70-80mpg, these figures were never possible in auris hybrids. Auris Hybrid 50mpg and anything above is good fuel consumption. 

The figures on Honest John Real MPG site for the Auris hybrid support this:

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/toyota/auris-2013/18-hybrid

The average of the reported MPGs is 54 mpg but there is a wide variation.

I average 50 mpg, which I put down to running on low profile tyres and the glass roof adding weight.

• Like 1

Yaris is smaller and lighter with a 1.5 hybrid engine so no way you can expect 60-70MPG on a Auris Hybrid 1.8 50MPG is good.

• Like 1

Hmm, they still don't seem to have a RealMPG for the new Yaris :sad: 

Mpg in this cold weather is dropping as espected this week its 62.5 for the month its 68.5 and the year its 69.3 acording to myT app

Car computer its still over 71MPG

On 10/15/2022 at 6:07 PM, TonyHSD said:

👍

Tony and everyone who responded thanks for your replies, anything is 50s is good.

Has anyone used Shell V Power, does it make any difference?

• Like 1

Hi Bruce, 

The Shell v power is better than the regular Shell, that’s for sure. Is it better than BP premium or Tesco momentum, I don’t know. Sometimes the car feels better with the different fuels, different batches, because even if you fill up from the same garage each time the car may feel slightly different. Best to experiment, fill up from different places , different fuels and see with which fuel and from which place you get the best efficiency and performance and try to fill up from there. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

How to maximise fuel efficiency in Toyota hybrids?
-  well driving at night in town and country lanes when the roads are empty and within the speed limits. Here we go almost 70mpg 

That’s was only for the last 15 miles. I wanted to check and reset the dashboard as I drove very relaxed. Before that I did motorway run at 70mph and showed 51mpg. 

3D33DB16-B001-4BAC-B9AA-8525EA342318.jpeg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

How to maximise fuel efficiency in Toyota hybrids?
-  well driving at night in town and country lanes when the roads are empty and within the speed limits. Here we go almost 70mpg 

That’s was only for the last 15 miles. I wanted to check and reset the dashboard as I drove very relaxed. Before that I did motorway run at 70mph and showed 51mpg. 

3D33DB16-B001-4BAC-B9AA-8525EA342318.jpeg

OMG!! How are you getting 70mpg in your Auris?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bruce Lea said:

That’s more like a joke than reality 😉

You can get 99mpg when you are going downhill 

I got these high numbers because the roads were empty and I was driving slower and there was no need to stop anywhere, just keep rolling. Realistic figures are around 56mpg currently for me and this is motorway and some country lanes plus town driving. Night time is quieter and easier to travel. 

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Bruce Lea said:

He's the Hybrid Whisperer!! :laugh: 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Bruce Lea said:

Tony, are uiu using E5 or E10 BP to get that high mpg?

With both can do, but in the cold the E5 seems better and the mpg remains higher. I am currently using Tesco momentum 99 E5 £1.68 a litre. You can try too and see how the car drives and calculate efficiency. Wind and rain can affect your consumption a lot. Also tyres type, tyres pressures and sizes too. I have summer touring tyres size 205/ 55 16 and these are easier on the fuel, more comfortable and quieter than standard 17” tyres the car came with. I believe I get 2-3 mpg up because of that. , not much but adds up. You don’t need to change these, just maintain correct pressures will help too. 

2 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

With both can do, but in the cold the E5 seems better and the mpg remains higher. I am currently using Tesco momentum 99 E5 £1.68 a litre. You can try too and see how the car drives and calculate efficiency. Wind and rain can affect your consumption a lot. Also tyres type, tyres pressures and sizes too. I have summer touring tyres size 205/ 55 16 and these are easier on the fuel, more comfortable and quieter than standard 17” tyres the car came with. I believe I get 2-3 mpg up because of that. , not much but adds up. You don’t need to change these, just maintain correct pressures will help too. 

Is Shell V Power E5 99?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links