Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New RAV4 GR Sport including PHEV

Nick72

4 hours ago, ernieb said:

I’ve looked at a few YouTube videos which look at EV distance on various cars. My faith in the manufactures to accurately specify the range has not improved.

I do believe that Toyota in general under spec their cars or are more accurate and many on this forum can confirm from their own experience.

I’d be interested in how you get on if and when you manage to book a test drive in the R4P Sport? From what you’ve said about your work and driving profile you. Certainly need to certainty of driving range at the end of a few days of road trips.

Agreed very much.

On 10/21/2022 at 1:09 AM, Centaur said:

Looks like it may be available in that nice Scarlet Flare Red that they told me that I can no longer have...

The red colour on the PHEV is described as Flame Red rather than Scarlet Flare which probably isn't quite the same colour at all ... 😉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ernieb said:

Would look good on the spec sheet but not sure it would really add much to the current PHEV’s performance. Maybe it’s possible to remap the current set up although that is mainly tuned to give the best generation characteristics and maximise the efficiency.

Curiously, the Lexus version of the PHEV only gains a negligible 3bhp over the RAV. The HEV that gets the more useful 20bhp rise.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, philip42h said:

The red colour on the PHEV is described as Flame Red rather than Scarlet Flare which probably isn't quite the same colour at all ... 😉

But it's closer to Scarlet Flare than Silver 🤣

My Dynamic Premium spec order has effectively been cancelled, so I'm hoping to change the order to the GR Sport and get the red that I wanted in the first place...

• Like 1

Interesting, my ‘21 PHEV is Scarlet Flare which I think is 3U5. This is a touch up paint with the right code and covers a number of Toyota paint names all with the same paint code?

Touch Up Paint for Toyota - Supersonic Red 3U5 | Emotional Red | Flame Red | Scarlet Flare | Super Sonic Red

• Like 2

This new spec of RAV PHEV will give those who want it a really quick truck that can maybe get around the bends, whereas the Lexus will provide a more shi shi version of the same thing for those who prefer that package. Is it me or is it beginning to sound a bit like Landrover versus Rangerover, old money buys the truck whilst new money buys the Chelsea tractor.

• Like 2

How is the ‘new spec’ quicker? Have Toyota found a way of getting more speed by fitting go-faster stripes? I am pretty happy with the standard PHEV performance with its 6sec 0-60 acceleration. 

• Like 1

Don't think it will be a any quicker Adrian, maybe just more interesting 👍

• Like 1

Bit of feedback through the steering would be an improvement if they want sporting credentials.

In fairness my time of cornering on the door handles is long over - been there done that.

• Like 4

William was that 2CV or Austin Cambridge, both of which have tarmac friendly door handles.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

22 hours ago, Hybrid21 said:

Don't think it will be a any quicker Adrian, maybe just more interesting 👍

It wasn’t me suggesting that - read posts prior to mine.

12 hours ago, Lawnmowerman said:

Bit of feedback through the steering would be an improvement if they want sporting credentials.

In fairness my time of cornering on the door handles is long over - been there done that.

Changing Tyres can help, the OEM tyres are cr8p especially in the wet. I still like to drive with enthusiasm when conditions and mood allow hence looking for another car more suited (additional to the RAV!). 

11 hours ago, NASY said:

William was that 2CV or Austin Cambridge, both of which have tarmac friendly door handles.

There is a long list of such cars, all the Farina range of BMC Cambridge/Oxford and spin offs and later Morris Marina/Ital being another (suspension was modified Morris Minor….). I had the misfortune to have one as a company car. 

2 hours ago, Flatcoat said:

There is a long list of such cars, all the Farina range of BMC Cambridge/Oxford and spin offs and later Morris Marina/Ital being another (suspension was modified Morris Minor….). I had the misfortune to have one as a company car. 

Morris Marina was a terrible car, it spent more time being repaired than being used, I remember once complaining about the oil consumption (250 miles to the pint) only to be told, they would not look at it until it was less than 200 miles to the pint.

Thankfully like yourself mine was a company car.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, NASY said:

Love it. I actually have an antecedent of the Cambridge - an MGB roadster (chrome bumper).

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Flatcoat said:

It wasn’t me suggesting that - read posts prior to mine.

Changing Tyres can help, the OEM tyres are cr8p especially in the wet. I still like to drive with enthusiasm when conditions and mood allow hence looking for another car more suited (additional to the RAV!). 

If the road was at all greasy the Marina was very eager to swap ends on corners - who would have thought 😆

Loved driving my marina with passengers who couldn't quite grasp why every corner was sideways. Had lots of MGBs (Austin Cambridge with a leaky roof) and a C all of which gave the same juvenile pleasures at low speed, so hardly ever dangerous just boisterous in a non-threatening way. To get those driving pleasures today you would look at the clock and see three figures most of the time.

• Like 1

I also had a MG 'B', chrome bumper, wire wheels etc. In the '70s my mate had an MG 'B' GT with a 3.5ltr Rover engine it did move well in a straight line.

After running a couple of Minis (the real ones) bought a Marina to have extra space inside. On one long fast corner that I used to just lift off a little in the Mini to tighten the line I tried this in the Marina only for it to turn into a bowl of jelly (figuratively speaking). Fortunately I hadn't sold my Mini yet, so just moved the Marina on and have stayed with FWD ever since.

Colin

• Like 1

FWD and lift off oversteer - loved it in my old pug 205 GTI , soo much fun and miles of smiles

• 1 year later...

Amazing but this new RAV4 GR Sport has the JBL stereo fitted in all the reviews and show models but when you come to order in UK it isn’t even an option. Why? I do many miles and have all ways had the JBL in the past 3 RAV4 

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, Bobo61 said:

Amazing but this new RAV4 GR Sport has the JBL stereo fitted in all the reviews and show models but when you come to order in UK it isn’t even an option. Why? I do many miles and have all ways had the JBL in the past 3 RAV4 

Are you sure? I understood it is fitted as standard on the GRSport? Hence it isn’t an option….   

• Like 1

On 10/29/2022 at 8:50 AM, ColinB said:

After running a couple of Minis (the real ones) bought a Marina to have extra space inside. On one long fast corner that I used to just lift off a little in the Mini to tighten the line I tried this in the Marina only for it to turn into a bowl of jelly (figuratively speaking). Fortunately I hadn't sold my Mini yet, so just moved the Marina on and have stayed with FWD ever since.

Colin

You have to remember the Marina effectively used Morris Minor suspension so was about as extreme opposite of a Mini as you could get. You only need to read contemporary road tests from the time to understand how dire the Marina handling was. I had a later Ital and recall being unable to keep up with a Skoda Estelle on one drive on a twisty road. 

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Flatcoat said:
11 hours ago, Bobo61 said:

Are you sure? I understood it is fitted as standard on the GRSport? Hence it isn’t an option….   

Not as far as the Configurator is concerned - JBL is not available as an option and the 'built' car has 6 Speakers, so standard rather than JBL. The Price List doesn't show JBL as an option for the PHEV either.

The Configurator shows JBL as an option for the HEV Excel, but not for the GR Sport. The Price List shows JBL as an option for both Excel and GR Sport - so there's some discrepancy there.

Either way, I haven't found anything to suggest that a UK spec GR Sport includes JBL as standard ... but that might simply mean that I haven't looked in the correct place yet.

I also note that we can no longer get a HEV Excel in AWD - it's become a RAV2 and FWD only!

And while in Europe they have the option of an AWD version of the new C-HR, the new C-HR is FWD only in the UK (& Ireland).

It's madness - Toyota UK have clearly lost the plot ...

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Completely agree, Toyota UK specs are strange and lack logic. However the need and demand for 4wd is limited. Most UK buyers of 4wd SUV’s don’t need or care if their car has 4wd. Sur le continent where winters are still winters, 4wd is more beneficial. When the Uk has so called bad weather (which Europe wouldn’t even blink at) most drivers have a fit of the vapours and stay at home. So 4wd is wasted on most drivers. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Flatcoat said:

Completely agree, Toyota UK specs are strange and lack logic. However the need and demand for 4wd is limited. Most UK buyers of 4wd SUV’s don’t need or care if their car has 4wd. Sur le continent where winters are still winters, 4wd is more beneficial. When the Uk has so called bad weather (which Europe wouldn’t even blink at) most drivers have a fit of the vapours and stay at home. So 4wd is wasted on most drivers. 

Agreed, but I'm not "most drivers" and I won't buy a car without AWD - that's why I'm in a RAV4 in the first place ... 

At the rate they are going, my next car won't be a Toyota! (But there's probably still a good few years in the one I have already 😉 )   

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links