Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New RAV4 GR Sport including PHEV

Nick72

Ok I like the look of this. Improved stiffer suspension, sports seats, badges, ... No mention of extra power but if they could just swap the rear 54? hp motor for a 120hp unit which now occupy a similar size then I'm definitely in when I have to swap cars.

https://newsroom.toyota.eu/new-gr-sport-gives-toyota-rav4-the-edge/

Looks good and see it's going to be available as an HEV and PHEV. It says it will be available in Europe in Q4 2022. It's strange as Toyota are struggling to deliver on orders for current orders.

Not suitable for my old bones I could not take stiffer chassis/suspension.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I saw an article on this and thought it was a wheeze. Seems totally inappropriate but then the Germans manage to sell bone shaker SUVs well enough, I had one for a while and just got tired of the bumpiness, my Fiesta ST was a more comfortable ride.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, kucyk said:

Order now to get one in Q1 2025 😅

You think it will be that early? 😇

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, ernieb said:

Hi all.....totally agree, which leaves me confused.

The title "Sport" causes me to think feel of the road & all that involves.

However modern motors rammed full of tech isolating the driver from that true driver/road feel seem to be in conflict.

It seems manufacturers push the sporty look with a watered down the sporty experience.

Barry Wright, Lancashire.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ernieb said:

Looks good and see it's going to be available as an HEV and PHEV. It says it will be available in Europe in Q4 2022. It's strange as Toyota are struggling to deliver on orders for current orders.

3 setting adaptive dampers would be nice, softer than now for cruising, Same as now for general use, Firmer than now 'sport' mode for cracking on up the lanes.

• Like 1

OK, so it's the 'special' for the 2023 model year. We've previously had the Black Edition and then the Adventure edition and now is keeping with the Yaris, Corolla etc. we have the RAV4 GR Sport edition. So it's a top of the range 2023 MY car with a GR Sport Styling treatment. But, uniquely perhaps, it applies to both the HEV and the PHEV models and does promise "tweaked suspension for a more engaging drive" (though there is no hint at all of 'customisable' suspension).

It looks quite nice though whether the new suspension set-up is to everyone's taste we have to wait and see. Equally we need to wait and see when it will appear in the price list ... (and there's no guarantee that it will appear in the UK at all!)

• Like 1

It does seem that it’s as much about styling, the stiffer suspension, extra trims and getting the latest 12” drivers display than the cars producing more power to the wheels. It will be interesting to see where it gets positioned against other manufactures.

There seems to be a consistent claim to the cars being available in the Europe Q4 2022.

• Like 1

Engaging drive? Well I had a twin cam Caterham which was an engaging drive, also managed to transport a victorian garden bench from an antiques dealer in it by dismantling and using my right hand to lift the slats up enough for my left hand to push the gear lever, engaging was fine as a momentary thing. SUV engaging? Sorry but we are entering some strange territory here where I get the feeling that people jogging briskly think they are sprinting.

• Like 5

Looks like it may be available in that nice Scarlet Flare Red that they told me that I can no longer have...

• Like 2

The GR Sport is a trim rather than an actual sports model. 

The trim line up for the Yaris, Yaris Cross, Corolla, C-HR and RAV4 are all now -

Icon, Design, Excel and GR Sport 

There are no performance upgrades for the engine/hybrid as this would require re-testing for WLTP purposes!

Interestingly, Toyota UK seemed to know nothing about it even though it's definitely replacing the Dynamic (HEV) / Dynamic Premium (PHEV) models....

• Like 1

On 10/20/2022 at 7:10 PM, NASY said:

Engaging drive? Well I had a twin cam Caterham which was an engaging drive, also managed to transport a victorian garden bench from an antiques dealer in it by dismantling and using my right hand to lift the slats up enough for my left hand to push the gear lever, engaging was fine as a momentary thing. SUV engaging? Sorry but we are entering some strange territory here where I get the feeling that people jogging briskly think they are sprinting.

It's all relative 😂

• Like 1

On 10/21/2022 at 1:09 AM, Centaur said:

Looks like it may be available in that nice Scarlet Flare Red that they told me that I can no longer have...

Nice colour. I like the pearl white too.

5 hours ago, duncerduncs said:

The GR Sport is a trim rather than an actual sports model. 

The trim line up for the Yaris, Yaris Cross, Corolla, C-HR and RAV4 are all now -

Icon, Design, Excel and GR Sport 

There are no performance upgrades for the engine/hybrid as this would require re-testing for WLTP purposes!

Interestingly, Toyota UK seemed to know nothing about it even though it's definitely replacing the Dynamic (HEV) / Dynamic Premium (PHEV) models....

I think they may have decided the 0 to 60 faster than a Honda Civic Type R and 50 to 70 faster than a Supra meant they'd leave the drive train alone and focus on trim and handling 😉

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Nick72 said:

I think they may have decided the 0 to 60 faster than a Honda Civic Type R and 50 to 70 faster than a Supra meant they'd leave the drive train alone and focus on trim and handling 😉

the current PHEV 0-60mph in 5.7secs is pretty capable for a car of this size. For myself the handling is OK but I’d think that the Sport version with a re engineered suspension etc. would likely improve that anyway.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ernieb said:

the current PHEV 0-60mph in 5.7secs is pretty capable for a car of this size. For myself the handling is OK but I’d think that the Sport version with a re engineered suspension etc. would likely improve that anyway.

5.4 to 5.5 in the dry apparently according to a couple of proper test websites. Slightly quicker than Toyota's claim but then they do understate rather than overstate, like the Battery range. Still getting 48 to 52 miles a charge despite the cool weather. I managed a max of 60 in the summer with a bit of sensible gentle driving. 42 is the official figure in the USA at least. 

Intrigued to see it. Want a test drive next year just to see how different or not it is. I think I need to order a new car in early 2024 so plenty of time.

Polestar 3 looks very impressive however. It's now between the updated R4P and the P3. The latter I think is 500+ hp, 370 mile range, etc. A little of the high cost delta is offset by the lower BiK tax than the R4P. But, things against for me at the moment aside from the delta cost are; unsure of ground clearance and approach and departure angles (I like and prefer a lot), still have range anxiety as that 370 range will be 260 in winter on the motorway), electricity prices!

Question is whether the GR model rides lower. That might put me off if it goes lower than say an inch.

Nick, maybe the suspension tweaks for the GR will be as on the Lexus NX being the same platform, so you could try the NX PHEV in Sport trim and find out if you like it, though the RAV is even quicker and has greater range.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NASY said:

Nick, maybe the suspension tweaks for the GR will be as on the Lexus NX being the same platform, so you could try the NX PHEV in Sport trim and find out if you like it, though the RAV is even quicker and has greater range.

That's probably true. 

12 hours ago, Nick72 said:

5.4 to 5.5 in the dry apparently according to a couple of proper test websites. Slightly quicker than Toyota's claim but then they do understate rather than overstate, like the battery range. Still getting 48 to 52 miles a charge despite the cool weather. I managed a max of 60 in the summer with a bit of sensible gentle driving. 42 is the official figure in the USA at least. 

Intrigued to see it. Want a test drive next year just to see how different or not it is. I think I need to order a new car in early 2024 so plenty of time.

Polestar 3 looks very impressive however. It's now between the updated R4P and the P3. The latter I think is 500+ hp, 370 mile range, etc. A little of the high cost delta is offset by the lower BiK tax than the R4P. But, things against for me at the moment aside from the delta cost are; unsure of ground clearance and approach and departure angles (I like and prefer a lot), still have range anxiety as that 370 range will be 260 in winter on the motorway), electricity prices!

Question is whether the GR model rides lower. That might put me off if it goes lower than say an inch.

It's still the winter range and poor charging infrastructure that currently cause me concern about fully electric. I'm sure all of us with the PHEV will have noticed how there are times when the estimated EV range is say 9 miles but a couple of hills when it's cold and the ICE is kicking in?  I'm really looking forward to see how well the bZ4x range performs during the upcoming winter months as some of the guys get their hands on real hardware. Then there is the potential limitations of restricting the charge to around 80% when using a DC fast charger if the car is charged a couple of time during the day, to preserve the batteries integrity. If this plays out then the estimated useable range might be further reduced.

• Like 2

On 10/24/2022 at 7:20 AM, ernieb said:

It's still the winter range and poor charging infrastructure that currently cause me concern about fully electric. I'm sure all of us with the PHEV will have noticed how there are times when the estimated EV range is say 9 miles but a couple of hills when it's cold and the ICE is kicking in?  I'm really looking forward to see how well the bZ4x range performs during the upcoming winter months as some of the guys get their hands on real hardware. Then there is the potential limitations of restricting the charge to around 80% when using a DC fast charger if the car is charged a couple of time during the day, to preserve the batteries integrity. If this plays out then the estimated useable range might be further reduced.

Fully agreed on all your points Ernie.

I looked at the XC40 EV but soon changed my mind after watching many YouTube reviews of motorway winter range. Barely 150 miles. If I'm caning it then that would be 120!

I'll be checking out the P3 reviews but with my major preference being another R4P, possibly the GR depending upon reviews of ride height and ride quality.

10 hours ago, Nick72 said:

Fully agreed on all your points Ernie.

I looked at the XC40 EV but soon changed my mind after watching many YouTube reviews of motorway winter range. Barely 150 miles. If I'm caning it then that would be 120!

I'll be checking out the P3 reviews but with my major preference being another R4P, possibly the GR depending upon reviews of ride height and ride quality.

I’ve looked at a few YouTube videos which look at EV distance on various cars. My faith in the manufactures to accurately specify the range has not improved.

I do believe that Toyota in general under spec their cars or are more accurate and many on this forum can confirm from their own experience.

I’d be interested in how you get on if and when you manage to book a test drive in the R4P Sport? From what you’ve said about your work and driving profile you. Certainly need to certainty of driving range at the end of a few days of road trips.

• Like 2

They could put the Lexus NX spec. HEV system in, it has an extra 20bhp over the RAV.

• Like 1

Would look good on the spec sheet but not sure it would really add much to the current PHEV’s performance. Maybe it’s possible to remap the current set up although that is mainly tuned to give the best generation characteristics and maximise the efficiency.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links