Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New RAV4 GR Sport including PHEV

Nick72

Neither am I but importers look at the optimum market spec and buyer requirements. They can’t afford to offer models of options that have low demand. Type approval costs alone are severely restricting model ranges on offer in the UK from all manufacturers. One example is the number of diesels still available in Europe but not offered here. Another is the Renault Laguna and Espace nog sold in the Uk for years, Volvo withdrawing all saloons and estates from the UK……

• Like 1

I take a rather jaundiced view that in the Uk they offer the minimum they can get away with and charge the maximum price possible. Not just Toyota but the whole UK dealer networks. We are poorly served in comparison to other markets.

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

My first car was a beige Marina 1.8TC.  The handling was interesting yes. 🤣

• Haha 1

In 1978 I brought a maroon 1.3 Marina deluxe coupe, reliable car it did not handle very well on it 145 x 13  Pirelli tyres on any other brand, I changed it for a BMW 2002 Tii worst car ever

7 hours ago, philip42h said:

Not as far as the Configurator is concerned - JBL is not available as an option and the 'built' car has 6 speakers, so standard rather than JBL. The Price List doesn't show JBL as an option for the PHEV either.

The Configurator shows JBL as an option for the HEV Excel, but not for the GR Sport. The Price List shows JBL as an option for both Excel and GR Sport - so there's some discrepancy there.

Either way, I haven't found anything to suggest that a UK spec GR Sport includes JBL as standard ... but that might simply mean that I haven't looked in the correct place yet.

I also note that we can no longer get a HEV Excel in AWD - it's become a RAV2 and FWD only!

And while in Europe they have the option of an AWD version of the new C-HR, the new C-HR is FWD only in the UK (& Ireland).

It's madness - Toyota UK have clearly lost the plot ...

Daft if that's the case. All the reviewvideos of the GR Sport PHEV show a big JBL speaker in the boot. So they'd be deliberately not putting that into the UK version?

It's weird but that seems to be Toyota country strategy. 

Fortunately I'm not an audiophile. Although the current JBL doesn't sound as good as the bog standard sound system on my past Merc. So hopefully it's not totally crap. 

16 hours ago, Nick72 said:

Daft if that's the case. All the reviewvideos of the GR Sport PHEV show a big JBL speaker in the boot. So they'd be deliberately not putting that into the UK version?

It's weird but that seems to be Toyota country strategy. 

Fortunately I'm not an audiophile. Although the current JBL doesn't sound as good as the bog standard sound system on my past Merc. So hopefully it's not totally crap. 

The same JBL system of the GR is in my Prime Plus

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, GBgraham said:

The same JBL system of the GR is in my Prime Plus

Thanks. I've got the JBL in my 2021 R4P Dynamic Premium. For me it was an ordinary audio system. Nothing got me excited. My main concern is getting something on the UK GR Sport which is worse than average.

Agree the JBL isn’t great but had worse. However not a patch on the Bose I had in an Audi (best car audio ever) Harmon Kardon systems I had in a Volvo and Rover were ok too. Of non upgrade systems the Audi Concert system in my A2 was pretty good. 

• Like 1

Having just checked the web site it does appear JBL is dropped from the spec. I too am pretty sure early press and demo cars had JBL. For me the GR Sport is now bordering on a step back from the Dynamic Premium I currently have. As others have said, Toyota UK specs are increasingly bizarre and seem to ignore what is on offer from their competitors. They need to up their game…. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My JBL is really good, had plenty of other good ICE systems to compare - only use it on Spotify though, so source may be key. 

• Like 1

On 12/15/2023 at 10:50 AM, Flatcoat said:

Having just checked the web site it does appear JBL is dropped from the spec. I too am pretty sure early press and demo cars had JBL. For me the GR Sport is now bordering on a step back from the Dynamic Premium I currently have. As others have said, Toyota UK specs are increasingly bizarre and seem to ignore what is on offer from their competitors. They need to up their game…. 

Agree 💯

I'm kind of stuck because as much as I'd like a higher performance car packed with tech and pretty reliable and costing as much or less (to a company car driver with BiK tax advantages) and preferably an EV, the range isn't quite there (as per seperate long debate thread). 

So the best car that still meets my spec is the GR Sport. For me there's some win some lose some here. Currently have a 2021 Dynamic Premium with pan roof. Dacuma Grey.

Lose...

Vented seats. Loved these in hot summer when the seats were otherwise red hot and my butt crack was sweating like David Icke at a meeting of the Illuminati.

JBL stereo. Not sure I'll notice but I'd sooner have a better stereo than a worse one to what I've got.

Gain... In order of importance to me...

Decent reversing camera resolution and panoramic camera. Really big benefit for my dodgy parking, avoidance of curbing, reversing up our steep curved drive, and avoiding sticky out rocks and cliff edges. 

Higher resolution (I dunno if it's it bigger) infotainment display. I use Android Auto a lot. This will help with the now improved reversing camera and pan camera above.

Updated safety system including lane following. Disappointed by the ping pong and random failures of the version I have. Used many solid solutions in the past. Even the Peugeot one was good.

GR Sport looks slightly better for me, in red or pearl white with the part black alloys.

All digital 12inch drivers display which has some configurable capability I think. Although I think I'll miss the analogue dials because they are always exactly in the same place.

Heated Steering Wheel.

Have I missed anything?

What I need to source is a rubber cargo Matt that also covers the backs of the back row of seats and still lets me split the seats. Currently have rubber mats throughout which have been great for muddy wet boots. But I have to give these back with the car because I added them to the spec when I ordered it. I asked our clueless car company and also the Toyota dealer about rubber mats for the GR Sport and they never got back in touch. So I need to look at the after market. 

I won't get the car until August. Not ordered yet by need to soon. Still don't know if I'm going red or white.

• Like 1

On 12/15/2023 at 10:50 AM, Flatcoat said:

Forgot about suspension. That's probably a gain in the list above. Too small a change to make me worried about a hard ride. But enough to improve handling ever so slightly. But, we'll see. 

6 hours ago, Nick72 said:

Forgot about suspension. That's probably a gain in the list above. Too small a change to make me worried about a hard ride. But enough to improve handling ever so slightly. But, we'll see. 

Yes so had I. It is unclear to me if GR Sport on the RAV is simply a trim option or also has suspension differences. I personally would not want anything that made the ride firmer due to towing considerations. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Flatcoat said:

Yes so had I. It is unclear to me if GR Sport on the RAV is simply a trim option or also has suspension differences. I personally would not want anything that made the ride firmer due to towing considerations. 

The Toyota Europe Newsroom says of the New Toyota RAV4 GR SPORT:

Suspension

The RAV4 GR SPORT goes beyond styling and equipment features to deliver an enhanced driving experience with a more handling-tuned suspension.

The front and rear coil springs have been stiffened to put the focus on agility and responsiveness. Changes to the spring coefficient are matched by appropriate adjustment of the shock absorbers’ damping force. On the plug-in hybrid electric model, the spring rates have increased from 30 to 36 N/mm at the front and 49 to 55 N/mm at the rear; on the hybrid electric GR SPORT the respective increases are 28 to 30 and 40 to 46 N/mm.

The well-proven suspension set-up on the RAV4 uses front MacPherson struts with rear double wishbones – both with anti-roll bars.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, philip42h said:

The Toyota Europe Newsroom says of the New Toyota RAV4 GR SPORT:

Suspension

The RAV4 GR SPORT goes beyond styling and equipment features to deliver an enhanced driving experience with a more handling-tuned suspension.

The front and rear coil springs have been stiffened to put the focus on agility and responsiveness. Changes to the spring coefficient are matched by appropriate adjustment of the shock absorbers’ damping force. On the plug-in hybrid electric model, the spring rates have increased from 30 to 36 N/mm at the front and 49 to 55 N/mm at the rear; on the hybrid electric GR SPORT the respective increases are 28 to 30 and 40 to 46 N/mm.

The well-proven suspension set-up on the RAV4 uses front MacPherson struts with rear double wishbones – both with anti-roll bars.

So that's a little more than I thought. Thanks Philip. 20% stiffer front, 12% stiffer rear. That will be noticed. 

For some reason I thought it was about 10 to 15% front and 5% rear. Not sure where I got that from. 

May be too firm a ride for some or because of other applications makes it less prefered. @Flatcoat

Still works for me. Perhaps the chunky sports seats can compensate 😂

That additional stiffness will affect towing ride quality, which is already very firm. In practice however, my current RAV will be a keeper beyond the time the RAV4.6 comes to the market so probably an academic issue for me. As a solo drive I can see the benefits and attraction. 

• Like 1

Not sure why the suspension needs to be any stiffer on the PHEV - it already corners fairly flat, if however in a don't push me too hard manner which must be respected given it's an SUV. The handling is more limited by its weight just wishing to take it straight on a la Newton, I suspect the GR will feel more German in its suspension which may well be a draw for some, not me as I quite enjoy a little more waft factor especially on local roads.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NASY said:

Not sure why the suspension needs to be any stiffer on the PHEV - it already corners fairly flat, if however in a don't push me too hard manner which must be respected given it's an SUV. The handling is more limited by its weight just wishing to take it straight on a la Newton, I suspect the GR will feel more German in its suspension which may well be a draw for some, not me as I quite enjoy a little more waft factor especially on local roads.

Intrigued to see how it plays out from the current R4P 2021. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links