Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Tech Too Far?

Bper

7 hours ago, Rhymes with Paris said:

Well, apart from what I would call "modern" stuff like fuel injection, electronic ignition and presumably an ecu , not much AFAIK.

A trip computer,if that is tech nowadays.

I am more happy though with what it does not have, such as touch screens, TPMS,stop start, auto lights and wipers, and all the bings and bongs that seems to be normal on newer cars.

I have a stand alone TomTom and dash cam as added tech , but these are easy to use and easily moved to another car if needed.

You forgot the 1-touch window control for the driver's window! That was apparently very high tech for a B-segment car back then! :laugh: 

And air bags! One reason the Mk1 got its high NCAP rating is because it had so many air bags compared to the competition. That's one of the few Yarisisms that've survived - Just cram in more air bags until NCAP cave in and give them 5 stars for driver safety :laugh: 

(Seriously when I think about how many explosive devices surrounding me in the Mk4 I do slightly get the heebie jeebies! :eek: :laugh: )

• Haha 2

There is a problem in the US where they are shutting down the 3G network so that any car using this for cloud services has literally had any 3G features shut off.   Some reports suggest this affect cars of some makes that were sold as late as 2018.  If this is true, I cannot help thinking the purchasers were short changed to some degree.

• Like 3

Aye Cyker, yes one touch electric windows.😄

And of course air bags, which I could well do without tbh , I once was first there at an accident, two cars head on.

The driver of one car, air bags exploded, looked like he had gone five rounds with Mike Tyson in his heyday, and lost very badly.

I dunno which would be safer, but I do think that the solid looking lump of plastic on the steering wheel hitting me at warp factor 6 would do some damage.

I have tried to adjust the seat as far back as possible to get away from it, but I still seem too close for comfort, let's hope it never goes off.💣

Talking of explosive devices, do you know of a way to relax when it sounds like the battle of Lincolnshire has started, all the neighborhood morons are setting light to hundreds of pounds worth of fireworks, and a pall of battle smoke hangs in the air.

I am expecting a cavalry charge any minute to follow the artillery.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Rhymes with Paris said:

And of course air bags, which I could well do without tbh , I once was first there at an accident, two cars head on.

The driver of one car, air bags exploded, looked like he had gone five rounds with Mike Tyson in his heyday, and lost very badly.

I dunno which would be safer, but I do think that the solid looking lump of plastic on the steering wheel hitting me at warp factor 6 would do some damage.

I have tried to adjust the seat as far back as possible to get away from it, but I still seem too close for comfort, let's hope it never goes off.💣

Talking of explosive devices, do you know of a way to relax when it sounds like the battle of Lincolnshire has started, all the neighborhood morons are setting light to hundreds of pounds worth of fireworks, and a pall of battle smoke hangs in the air.

Have you got any headphones try listening to the Light Cavalry Charge by franz von suppé. 😊

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Hornet3D said:

There is a problem in the US where they are shutting down the 3G network so that any car using this for cloud services has literally had any 3G features shut off.   Some reports suggest this affect cars of some makes that were sold as late as 2018.  If this is true, I cannot help thinking the purchasers were short changed to some degree.

Not just the US; We're shutting it down too, and next is 2G, but it turns out 99% of all the remote monitoring telemetry and control for e.g. weather stations, traffic controls, smart meters etc. are all 2G/3G and if they turn it off it's going to mess up a lot of stuff so it's been given a stay of execution until they figure out how to retrofit all these obsolete long-unsupported systems with vastly more expensive 4G/5G gear...

12 minutes ago, Rhymes with Paris said:

Indeed, I have heard it told that airbag deployment is like being punched in the face! That's why they only go off in really serious crashes and not e.g. when Mrs Higgins drives into a wheelie bin.

I've yet to experience an airbag deployment in all the crashes I've had, including when I rear-ended a not-Mini (I was surprised it didn't go off considering how bad my Mk1's front-end looked, but it was still driveable so I guess it wasn't that bad in the grand scheme of things!)

As for the 201 gun salute, I'd recommend a game of Call of Duty, then you won't notice them mixed in with the game's gunfire sounds :laugh: 

Alternatively, there are some trendy sensory deprivation tank therapy places in London that may provide suitable auditory damping :laugh: 

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Hornet3D said:

Is this about automatic crash notification. ?

• Like 1

Not just that, but map updates, app downloads, web browsing, remote status updates and controls (e.g. MyT stuff), manufacture OTA firmware updates - Anything that needs Internet access basically.

It's another reason why I won't pay any extra money for 'cloud' services, esp. in a car, as even 4G and 5G will be eventually be turned off in some years time when 6G etc. comes out and no manufacturer ever provides retrofits to bring the connectivity up to modern standards.

I'm pretty sure even the SOS system in our cars will stop working when 2G is turned off.

8 hours ago, Yugguy1970 said:

I've no objection to any tech in principle, but I want the ability to turn it off if I want.

I read something about the new Corolla:  Acceleration Supression - reacts to sudden use of the accelerator at low speed.  What the hell????  What if I NEED to accelerate?  If I can turn this off, fine, if not, not sure I want my new Corolla...

Kill switch absolutely 😡

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Bper said:

Have you got any headphones try listening to the Light Cavalry Charge by franz von suppé. 😊

Try 1812

😁

Very quiet here at the moment 🐕

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

Try 1812

😁

Apparently this was supposed to be played on the 4th of July celebration so it could end with fireworks.😀

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

Try 1812

😁

Very quiet here at the moment 🐕

My pet spiders are traumatised.

But seriously, there are fireworks displays all over the place away from built up areas, round here ,the fire service do them , and the RAF stations, safely.

Pets and small children get frightened, and of course as every year there will be a roll call of badly burned and missing fingers from people too stupid to realise that gunpowder is dangerous if you are close to it when it goes off.

Quite apart from the fire damage to property, and cars ,from rockets that are still burning when they land.

I just hope my house and car, I only have a short drive, no garage, survive this madness .

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Rhymes with Paris said:

My pet spiders are traumatised.

But seriously, there are fireworks displays all over the place away from built up areas, round here ,the fire service do them , and the RAF stations, safely.

Pets and small children get frightened, and of course as every year there will be a roll call of badly burned and missing fingers from people too stupid to realise that gunpowder is dangerous if you are close to it when it goes off.

Quite apart from the fire damage to property, and cars ,from rockets that are still burning when they land.

I just hope my house and car, I only have a short drive, no garage, survive this madness .

I'm surprised anyone can afford fireworks these days. The displays are cancelled in our area. Probably cost or environment issues no doubt. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Markyswan said:

I'm surprised anyone can afford fireworks these days. The displays are cancelled in our area. Probably cost or environment issues no doubt. 

Yes so am I, considering the much publicised "cost of living crisis" with all the local news about impoverished families having to choose between heating and eating.

The same ones who are figuratively setting fire to £20 notes.

Ah well,at least I can rant a bit.

Sorry, back to tech subject, maybe a case exists for less tech on cars and stripping back to reliability and ease of repair and servicing,of course this is not going to happen, but I think a lot of people would like this.

• Like 2

Maybe they've decided setting fire to things will solve the heating problem! :laugh: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Several years ago one of our dogs was 'annoyed' with the fireworks.  We took her down to the local school where they had a bonfire etc.  She was quite happy watching the flames, would follow the rocket flames and not flinch at the explosions.  In fact she was literally bomb proof. 

When mowing the lawn I had to mow around her. Another dog was terrified if a shot gun went off a mile away. 

Present dog is pretty steadfast though we recently discovered she will not walk on wooden bridges. 

They are all different. 

• Like 3

Doggos are like people in that regard, all differently bananas in their own way :laugh: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It would have to be a very large and loud firework set off very close to out lurcher to get him to open his eyes if he were asleep, let alone any other reaction.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

When I got my current car I drove 100 miles in the wrong direction because I programmed the satnav wrong. Then I replaced the Battery and accidently pressed the childlocks on the doors so spent days trying to work out why the window buttons weren't flashing to be reset. I'm still finding new ways to open the boot. I'd pay £500 or more to convert the keyless key/fob back to a key. Or to have knobs for the AC instead of interactive buttons on a computer screen.

I suppose the thread wasn't asking if (like me) you're a bit of an idiot who's so fed up with tech I just want everything electrical to have a mechanical switch that's either off or on.

But I am, and I would. Especially if it's a workvan or truck. Toyota Hilux from the 90s left as it was, maintainable and lasts forever.

• Like 2

Went out today to find my poor little car covered in firework debris and dust or ash , also some sort of orange powder that I think is probably radioactive.😡

As may have become clear now, I would like to see fireworks banned forever, and then banned some more.

Grumpy old Grinch I think I am.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Rhymes with Paris said:

Went out today to find my poor little car covered in firework debris and dust or ash , also some sort of orange powder that I think is probably radioactive.😡

As may have become clear now, I would like to see fireworks banned forever, and then banned some more.

Going off 10 to the dozen at the moment, I bet the gardens got a few in the morning. 

It's funny ever since we have been here for 5 years now it has rained every November 5th. Strange.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Alex A G said:

When I got my current car I drove 100 miles in the wrong direction because I programmed the satnav wrong. Then I replaced the battery and accidently pressed the childlocks on the doors so spent days trying to work out why the window buttons weren't flashing to be reset. I'm still finding new ways to open the boot. I'd pay £500 or more to convert the keyless key/fob back to a key. Or to have knobs for the AC instead of interactive buttons on a computer screen.

I suppose the thread wasn't asking if (like me) you're a bit of an idiot who's so fed up with tech I just want everything electrical to have a mechanical switch that's either off or on.

But I am, and I would. Especially if it's a workvan or truck. Toyota Hilux from the 90s left as it was, maintainable and lasts forever.

Talking of the Hilux we sat in one a little while ago and loved it .Interior nice, not practical for us but wouldn't mind one 👍

2 hours ago, Rhymes with Paris said:

I agree, all fireworks should be banned.

Regards, John

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Bper said:

Going off 10 to the dozen at the moment, I bet the gardens got a few in the morning. 

It's funny ever since we have been here for 5 years now it has rained every November 5th. Strange.

Bob, I do a American Indian rain dance in my back garden every November 4th, not very coordinated, but enthusiastic.

Maybe it extends to your neck of the woods.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Bper said:

Talking of the Hilux we sat in one a little while ago and loved it .Interior nice, not practical for us but wouldn't mind one 👍

I saw one when I was getting my 15" rims - It's gigantic! I'd be scared to be anywhere near it, looks like it could just drive over my wee Yaris without noticing! :eek: :laugh: 

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, JARC1 said:

I agree, all fireworks should be banned.

Regards, John

Even sparklers John, I remember when my daughter was a little girl, she had a lucky escape, I saw that the packet was all in Chinese, so suspected they were illegal in the UK.

So held a lit one for her without gloves, I still have the scar.

Phosphorus is very nasty stuff.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links