Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Trickle Charge on 2021 Toyota Hybrid Launch

Matt29

Hi,

I have 2021 toyota hybrid launch edition and I am constantly having to jump start it with my Neco jump starter. 

quick question, can I use the fuse box panel where I jump start it, to also use with a trickle charger. 

sorry if this an obvious question?

Matt

26 minutes ago, Matt29 said:

Hi,

I have 2021 toyota hybrid launch edition and I am constantly having to jump start it with my Neco jump starter. 

quick question, can I use the fuse box panel where I jump start it, to also use with a trickle charger. 

sorry if this an obvious question?

Matt

Yes, definitely.  

It seems to be some combination of people getting cars with depleted 12v batteries when they collect the car and not using the car enough for it to put charge into it.

It seems like a lot of people are trickle-charging the batteries through the contacts in the fuse box just fine so far, although DevonAygo has mentioned that it's safer to do it directly to the Battery. I don't think he elaborated on why though.

I've not had a problem with mine and neither have a lot of other Mk4 owners, but there is are quite a few who have. I think the biggest difference is I and the non-problem group use the car regularly, whereas the problem group tend to only use it for short/infrequent journeys.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Mattarana said:

Thanks so much @anchorman. Is this a common fault with model?

It’s only usually a problem with very low usage.  Have you got a Dashcam or something using power all the time?

Just now, Mattarana said:

@Cyker ok i plugged it in now. Am I going to be ok?

The fuse box contact is just a wire to the Battery.  It will be fine.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, anchorman said:

The fuse box contact is just a wire to the battery.  It will be fine.  

However this method requires you to open the bonnet, take the cover off the fuse box, then clip on the charger leads.  This is satisfactory for jump starting but I suggest a PITA for regular charging. 

A more convenient alternative is to hard wire charging tail to the Battery and simply plug the charger lead to the tail. 

First fitting the tail might be daunting or awkward, but once done it is easy thereafter. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

However this method requires you to open the bonnet, take the cover off the fuse box, then clip on the charger leads.  This is satisfactory for jump starting but I suggest a PITA for regular charging. 

A more convenient alternative is to hard wire charging tail to the battery and simply plug the charger lead to the tail. 

First fitting the tail might be daunting or awkward, but once done it is easy thereafter. 

Takes me a couple of minutes and no f arting about under the seat 😉.  I’d also rather feed the wire out at the front than through a closed door.  

Then you may need to look into replacing the Battery for peace of mind and bother. After that, the car should be use regularly or in ready mode/trickle charge if not used often. 

Most of the Battery issues are from people either don't use the car very often or inherited a bad Battery from last owner. I have never had a problem with battery in over 12 cars of my driving life. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Roy124 said:

A more convenient alternative is to hard wire charging tail to the battery and simply plug the charger lead to the tail. 

Dealer did that (Noco lead) for me FoC, really easy to plug charger in either via open rear window or some people do it with door closed and cable held in the door seals. Perfect, because in the near future, car will be left alone and neglected for a few weeks

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SinglePointSafety said:

because in the near future, car will be left alone and neglected for a few weeks

Some people just do not care about the feelings of their car! I bet you do not even say "Good morning" to your car when getting in on a morning, or "Bye, sleep tight" when you leave it on a night. Have you got a kind relative or neighbour who can pop round just to let the car know it has not been forgotten? 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Lidl has chargers currently on display in stores for anyone looking for a smart chargers 👌

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I thought give an update to the thread. I ended up getting the local dealership replacing the Battery. Even trickle charging the Battery died after two days without driving. But now resolved thanks everybody for the help. 

@anchorman @Mojo1010 @dannyboy413 @Roy124 @SinglePointSafety

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links