Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris Cross Owner's Opinions

Bper

On 1/29/2023 at 3:24 PM, Bper said:

Would welcome any owner's comments on the Yaris Cross since ownership. Ride quality, comfort, MPG etc., Basically, pro's and con's.👍

Only had the Yaris Cross for over a month so it’s a little bit early for me to give any constructive and detailed comments.  However, I have to say that I’m more than pleased with Toyota and enjoy the relaxed drive that this car provides.

I’ll probably wait until 3 months of ownership before giving an update and I’ll also try and keep the report under 10,000 words!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, Jimota said:

Wouldn’t touch it with a barge pole!

Hm, it looks very appealing to me. I don’t need a new car now but if I need one tomorrow Toyota price hikes will push me look for alternatives and so this car and similar are of high interest to me. 
Some time ago I went to place near Canvey island, a huge open space depot  where companies import and export vehicles, omg that was a automobile paradise. There were hundreds of unsold, brand new and unregistered cars left covered in dust. Many exotic cars like bmw m5 , 7 series long wheel bases and sports cars. What I understood those were cancelled orders, cars damaged while in transit, perhaps some other reasons but surely someone would have to move them and sell somehow, auction or whatever these cars worth a million as they will go cheaper than at the dealer. All they need would be a proper clean and a new Battery
These Toyotas will make a good deal for someone. 

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Hm, it looks very appealing to me. I don’t need a new car now but if I need one tomorrow Toyota price hikes will push me look for alternatives and so this car and similar are of high interest to me. 
Some time ago I went to place near Canvey island, a huge open space depot  where companies import and export vehicles, omg that was a automobile paradise. There were hundreds of unsold, brand new and unregistered cars left covered in dust. Many exotic cars like bmw m5 , 7 series long wheel bases and sports cars. What I understood those were cancelled orders, cars damaged while in transit, perhaps some other reasons but surely someone would have to move them and sell somehow, auction or whatever these cars worth a million as they will go cheaper than at the dealer. All they need would be a proper clean and a new battery. 
These Toyotas will make a good deal for someone. 

It does make you wonder what happens to these vehicles. If they are auctioned maybe a really good deal to be had. If there are minor floor's I'm sure we could live with that.🤔

• Like 3

Hi Cyker,

I used the original bolt.

The spacer stoped my passanger trying to force the door past its stop position.

Its not a ideal solution but a improvment over the standard door retainer.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I must say the auto headlights have behaved impeccably on this Cross.  Better than the Yaris - maybe due to the higher position.  

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Derek.w said:

The spacer stoped my passanger trying to force the door past its stop position.

My old RAV4 had a similar issue with the back door which had a limiter to avoid obscuring the rear reflectors. I bought the longer Japanese version of the door strap so the door could be fully opened (and added some reflectors to the door edge).

I assumed that the restriction on the Yaris Cross rear doors was to ensure adequate clearance with the front doors. Would be great if they could be opened up a bit more.

• Like 6

This isn't aimed at anyone just my own thoughts,  how often do you have fat people in the back (most reviewers say this is a problem for them not avarage size people) or put baby seats in and out, most of us will rarely  carry  anyone in the back so for me it's not a big deal. 

I can imagine  doggers may disagree 😄

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Max, to put it another way, what is the ideal family for the Yaris Cross. 

In our case it is for two elderly people whose agility is less than ideal.  The only mobility equipment we carry is Nordic walking sticks, an umbrella, and the dog's travel box.  At a pinch we can squeeze in the even more elderly MiL.  At the outset I said I was not buying a car for her. 

We can also fit two grandchildren in the back though the 6ft 4in grandson sometimes goes in the front.  We can add a 5th at a push. 

For our purposes, it is a 2+2+1 rather than a family 4+1.

Where larger people are carried requiring the front  seats to be right back, it's definitely a 2+2. 

If you need regularly to carry 3 or 4 larger adults apart from short journeys this is the wrong car. 

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Roy124 said:

you need regularly to carry 3 or 4 larger adults apart from short journeys this is the wrong car.

Exactly it's a blown up small car definitely not designed to carry 4 abults regularly, I will be moving from my Yaris to the Cross for the higher seating position and the hybrid system I did consider the new Yaris but I think getting in and out of the Cross will be better for my back.

• Like 7

7 hours ago, Max_Headroom said:

This isn't aimed at anyone just my own thoughts,  how often do you have fat people in the back (most reviewers say this is a problem for them not avarage size people) or put baby seats in and out, most of us will rarely  carry  anyone in the back so for me it's not a big deal. 

I can imagine  doggers may disagree 😄

Is there a recommended car for carrying fat people around while out dogging?😅

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, Max_Headroom said:

I did consider the new Yaris but I think getting in and out of the Cross will be better for my back.

Followed a new Yaris today, very trim but in comparison with the Cross it appeared tiny.

• Like 4

Many years ago, and almost as many years before I heard the term, a Dutchman proudly displayed his passion waggon.  It was not a Toyota but a Citroën 2CV van. 

It goes without saying that it was well sprung but modified with a full size matress covered in a flame orange fleece that extended up the sides and the roof. 

• Haha 6

19 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

Many years ago, and almost as many years before I heard the term, a Dutchman proudly displayed his passion waggon.  It was not a Toyota but a Citroën 2CV van. 

It goes without saying that it was well sprung but modified with a full size matress covered in a flame orange fleece that extended up the sides and the roof. 

Shocking,at least the Dutchman could have chosen a more neutral colour, maybe taupe, mushroom,or even the much talked about farrow and ball, elephants breath.

• Haha 4

Well lets just say the same people had no trouble with the mark 3 yaris.

The doors DO NOT toutch each other if fact room for more adjustment but then it may just foul the door stoping it closing but for now I leave at alone as my adults passengers are managing ok.

• Like 2

The rear doors of the Mk4 are definitely the most awkward to get in to out of all the Yarisusesiesues I've owned.

The Mk2's rear doors were very good, and along with the masses of rear passenger space made it very easy to get in and out of or load awkward cargo in to.

Even the Mk1 was significantly easier to get in and out of, and that had comedy rear doors :laugh:  (The sound they made when closing and their total lack of any appreciable mass really didn't inspire confidence in their solidity :laugh: )

• Like 5

Yes MK3 to MK4

Fitst move seat forward a inch ok car is shorter in length.

Then change/restrict the amout the doors will open to ie angle you wont see that in any publication.

More restrictions if you look at the curvature on the rear door watch your head!.

No idea why the c piller is so strong/wide.

Its still the BEST car in its class.

• Like 3

Most of the latest Toyota models has this doors opening restrictions. Every car reviewer mention it and when I been in showrooms trying them myself found out immediately. What is the reason for that I don’t know, but together with less legroom and lower roof lines from one of the most practical cars in the past they are now leading the race for one of the lesser practical car bodies, perhaps the German philosophy for making cars sportier and cramped to push customers buying the next class available, Yaris buyers will buy cross versions, Corolla hatchback to go for TS and like that. More profit to the company. 

• Like 6

I don't think this is on purpose. It's Yaris, this model doesn't get as much R&D as rav4 or any other expensive model, they just reused most of the ideas and solutions from the past models and sometimes, this doesn't meet best together with new different departments, like bodyworks or technology/safety features. They just don't have time to do that as such many iterations during development. Sometimes this can get pretty silly and they just don't change stupid little bolts or little door pulleys just because of big company bureaucracy and development processes. It's not that easy to change things, even if they are small like a bolt. You can find similar obvious stupid think in way more expensive cars.

It will be interested to see what they will change in the facelift.

• Like 5

19 hours ago, Derek.w said:

Yes MK3 to MK4

Fitst move seat forward a inch ok car is shorter in length.

Then change/restrict the amout the doors will open to ie angle you wont see that in any publication.

More restrictions if you look at the curvature on the rear door watch your head!.

No idea why the c piller is so strong/wide.

Its still the BEST car in its class.

The A, B and C pillars on the Yaris Mk4 are ridiculously big and compromise vision significantly in all directions.

However, it does make it very strong; It's already proven to be stronger than an SUV in a collision :naughty: :laugh: 

• Like 5

On 2/3/2023 at 7:08 PM, Cyker said:

The A, B and C pillars on the Yaris Mk4 are ridiculously big and compromise vision significantly in all directions.

However, it does make it very strong; It's already proven to be stronger than an SUV in a collision :naughty: :laugh: 

Blind spots a problem, Surely Toyota must have looked at this at design stage. How come other manufacturers make smaller pillars why not Toyota.

I never noticed them particularly big compared to other cars.

• Like 2

Maybe compared to an SUV, but having come from a Mk1 and Mk2, I can definitively say they are massive; In the Mk1 and Mk2 you can perform reverse manoeuvres very easily just by looking backwards and using the Eyeball Mk1, but it's almost impossible to do safely in the Mk4 because 90% of your rear vision is blind spots caused by the B and C pillars and small rear window. You can see directly behind you but that's it. The C-pillars in particular restrict the view considerably to a very narrow field of view.

I find I *have* to use the wing mirrors and reverse camera to do any sort of reverse manoeuvre safely.

This is the first car I've owned where I can't just twist round to look out the back and e.g. just reverse down the road and round a corner or something in one brisk motion; In the Mk4 I have to creep very slowly backwards, riding the brake, while alternating between checking the mirrors and reverse cam because I just don't have a wide enough field of view out the back; You literally can't see cars parked either side of you enough to know if you're about to take one of their wing mirrors off!

22 hours ago, Bper said:

Blind spots a problem, Surely Toyota must have looked at this at design stage. How come other manufacturers make smaller pillars why not Toyota.

They could have made them a smaller and less obstructive, but that would have compromised structural integrity and we wouldn't have gotten gems like this: :naughty: 

and

The Mk4 body does seem to have particularly indestructible rear! :laugh: 

That said, Toyota apparently have a patent on a way of making the pillars 'invisible' - I really want to know what happened to that idea, as if any car needs it it's the Mk4!!!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Maybe compared to an SUV, but having come from a Mk1 and Mk2, I can definitively say they are massive; In the Mk1 and Mk2 you can perform reverse manoeuvres very easily just by looking backwards and using the Eyeball Mk1, but it's almost impossible to do safely in the Mk4 because 90% of your rear vision is blind spots caused by the B and C pillars and small rear window. You can see directly behind you but that's it. The C-pillars in particular restrict the view considerably to a very narrow field of view.

I find I *have* to use the wing mirrors and reverse camera to do any sort of reverse manoeuvre safely.

This is the first car I've owned where I can't just twist round to look out the back and e.g. just reverse down the road and round a corner or something in one brisk motion; In the Mk4 I have to creep very slowly backwards, riding the brake, while alternating between checking the mirrors and reverse cam because I just don't have a wide enough field of view out the back; You literally can't see cars parked either side of you enough to know if you're about to take one of their wing mirrors off!

They could have made them a smaller and less obstructive, but that would have compromised structural integrity and we wouldn't have gotten gems like this: :naughty: 

and

The Mk4 body does seem to have particularly indestructible rear! :laugh: 

That said, Toyota apparently have a patent on a way of making the pillars 'invisible' - I really want to know what happened to that idea, as if any car needs it it's the Mk4!!!

I understand the structural side of pillars but you would have thought with the design and technology availability Toyota would have cracked this year's ago. Had a couple of cars that the A pillars caused a blind spot but I suppose you get used to the car after a while and probably ignore the problem and adjust your postion when needed.🤔

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links