Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris Cross spare wheel

Tom E Pattinson

All ready have them.But they do the wheel and jack handle and wheel brace.as a package.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Spacesaver spare wheel kit arrived for Yaris Cross looks good and considerably cheaper that the Toyota one 

20230328_135137_001.jpg

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Tommy X said:

Spacesaver spare wheel kit arrived for Yaris Cross looks good and considerably cheaper that the Toyota one 

20230328_135137_001.jpg

Does it fit?

• Like 1

It looks like my Toyota one, made in Indonesia.  Mine cost £333.33 plus VAT.  If I get a new compatible Toyota it comes with me.

What did your kit come to?

I would probably not get a jack kit.  If I have an on road puncture I will call for help.  At 80 I am able to change a wheel, but as in pay for a dog, why bark.

At home I have a trolley jack, wrench etc.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Max_Headroom said:

Does it fit?

Don't know Max, the wheel has arrived before my car, don't know if it fits the wheelwell in the boot either, I'll report back soon  

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

It looks like my Toyota one, made in Indonesia.  Mine cost £333.33 plus VAT.  If I get a new compatible Toyota it comes with me.

What did your kit come to?

I would probably not get a Jack kit.  If I have an on road puncture I will call for help.  At 80 I am able to change a wheel, but as in pay for a dog, why bark.

At home I have a trolley jack, wrench etc.

The kit cost £169.95, the wheel can be purchased without the jack kit, Toyota quoted me £630   

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Tommy X said:

Don't know Max, the wheel has arrived before my car, don't know if it fits the wheelwell in the boot either, I'll report back soon  

I have every confidence it will but better to find out the jack, wheel brace and wheel are up to the job before an emergency.

I started adding roadside assistance to my insurance a few years ago when i found out they now carry universal spare wheels as my car didn't have a spare only one of those bottle of sealer and pump systems which are useless if you have a blowout or tear the side wall against a rock/kerb.

image.thumb.png.80db42c7c2b1906e4fe396fa896d8ee3.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Max_Headroom said:

I have every confidence it will but better to find out the jack, wheel brace and wheel are up to the job before an emergency.

I started adding roadside assistance to my insurance a few years ago when i found out they now carry universal spare wheels as my car didn't have a spare only one of those bottle of sealer and pump systems which are useless if you have a blowout or tear the side wall against a rock/kerb.

image.thumb.png.80db42c7c2b1906e4fe396fa896d8ee3.png

The jack is rated at 3 tonnes so should be ok, the AA and RAC fit the universal wheel, I am told you then follow them to the nearest tyre repair shop, not sure how this would work at 2.00am with nothing much open 🙄     

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Tommy X said:

The Jack is rated at 3 tonnes so should be ok, the AA and RAC fit the universal wheel, I am told you then follow them to the nearest tyre repair shop, not sure how this would work at 2.00am with nothing much open 🙄     

Good point. i assume at the t time they would either recover the vehicle or let you go on your way and arrange for the wheel to be collected the next day.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Tommy X said:

The kit cost £169.95, the wheel can be purchased without the Jack kit, Toyota quoted me £630   

£333 bargain then but your price better. 

I had my wheel out yesterday.  Identical diameter to the standard wheel but abkut 2/3 width.  After a puncture the road wheel will fit but the lower boot deck will be much higher. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Tommy X said:

The Jack is rated at 3 tonnes so should be ok, the AA and RAC fit the universal wheel, I am told you then follow them to the nearest tyre repair shop, not sure how this would work at 2.00am with nothing much open 🙄     

There is also the question of them having the right tyre. 

Once had a blowout just before catching the ferry.  No option real except to press on to the terminal.  Did a very quick wheel change before boarding. Then 100 miles into France before we found a garage that would do in Non! and had the right spare. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

There is also the question of them having the right tyre. 

Then they would have to take you  to your chosen destination they couldn't leave you stranded.

Having a spare wheel is all well and good but changing one at the side of the the motorway or a busy road could  easily end in you losing you life especially with the amount of traffic and ignorant drivers we have on the roads today.

• Like 1

I prefer the convenience/reassurance of carrying a spare wheel 

just pick somwhere safe to do the changeover.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tommy X said:

The kit cost £169.95, the wheel can be purchased without the Jack kit, Toyota quoted me £630   

My skinny spare cost £100 back in 2014. jack and wheelbrace included, from a main dealer. Six hundred quid - sheesh!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Tommy X said:

The tyre place selected by the AA/RAC will have you over a barrel and charge whatever they like, but the AA/RAC agent wouldn't be on a kickback, would they?

I used to have the same hang up about carrying a spare wheel ever since they removed them off the back door of the RAV.  It’s all about weight and profit and it was only owners revolting when the 4.4 was introduced that TGB caved in and started to supply them again as standard.   I’ve carted spares around in makeshift covers and piled luggage around but in reality I’ve never once had a bad enough puncture that I’ve had to fit one.  Now with every Cross having a tyre pressure display you can not only get an alert but can read the pressure on the hoof and you can either use the gloop which no longer ruins a tyre and scraps it or top it up with the onboard compressor.  Then you can do what you’d have to do anyway and get it fixed at the first opportunity.  I can’t get a wheel under the floor of my useless AWD anyway but the truth is, I wouldn’t if I could.  

• Like 2

Honesty these days in most dense populated areas in England having a spare tyre its pretty much not essential. First there is always help around the corner. Secondly if you have a puncture, doing it on the side of the road can be ultra dangerous and I highly recommend to anyone not to do it unless on quiet road. , driving standards are very poor and the risk of being hit by another vehicle it’s high. Added weight not a big deal in real life situations. , it’s like driving with full tank or half way filled. However for those who drive late night, early mornings and those in remote areas where help will be delayed if available at all then having a spare wheel, jack, tools, compressor and even a puncture repair straps it’s must have in your boot. 

• Like 1

I have used the cans of tyre repair stuff you can buy in a fuel station, it inflates and seals the puncture if a nail or screw etc has punctured the tyre but obviously not if the tyre has a tear in the sidewall, it works well so I wouldn't be too bothered if the Cross only had the sealer and pump kit in it.

Call me old fashioned but I like the assurance of having a spare wheel, the Yaris hatch comes with one as standard fitment so why not the Cross ?? If I get a puncture I will call out roadside assistance and get them to fit the spare so I can be on my way instead of faffing about following the AA man to get a repair done.   

• Like 3

TonyHSD makes an excellent point about help around the corner, except at night, except they may not carry your preferred brand, except they may not have your size, except your schedule might be tight.

My last flat was on a Sunday.  The nearest KwikFit was 20 miles away.  The recovery service would probably have been OK.

The previous time, as I have related, was minutes before our ferry departure.  A recovery service would have meant missing the ferry, overnight accommodation, and having to rebook next ferry, day crossing perhaps but that would have thrown future journey plans needing an additional night stop on the French side.  Having a spare cost us no more than one hour.

• Like 2

I was also quoted £620 for the Yaris X spare, it is that much sir because they have to fit the bolt down point! I for one like the added security of a spare wheel My current Up Gti has 40 profile 17" tyres (currently a/w a Yaris X) and I have had 1 unrepairable puncture (sidewall due to road conditions) and a sidewall bulge that required changing in 2.5yrs. The Up Gti doesnt come with a spare as the others do, According to VW it is because the brakes are larger on the front. Solution I purchased a standard Up spare wheel set off of eBay for £50 and when required for use on the front simply fit the spare to a rear wheel and move that wheel to the front it took no more an an extra 5 mins to do this. FYI the standard Up steel wheel & tyre is within 1/2" of the alloy/tyre dia so more than ok to get you home.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Knorton said:

I was also quoted £620 for the Yaris X spare, it is that much sir because they have to fit the bolt down point! I for one like the added security of a spare wheel My current Up Gti has 40 profile 17" tyres (currently a/w a Yaris X) and I have had 1 unrepairable puncture (sidewall due to road conditions) and a sidewall bulge that required changing in 2.5yrs. The Up Gti doesnt come with a spare as the others do, According to VW it is because the brakes are larger on the front. Solution I purchased a standard Up spare wheel set off of Ebay for £50 and when required for use on the front simply fit the spare to a rear wheel and move that wheel to the front it took no more an an extra 5 mins to do this. FYI the standard Up steel wheel & tyre is within 1/2" of the alloy/tyre dia so more than ok to get you home.

This is smart and recommended action. Space saver spare wheels mounted on driving axle cause excess load to the differential gear and bearings and can cook the gear oil add extra heat and even cause irreversible damage to the transmission components. Always try to swap wheels  as per the Kevin example especially if you need to drive over 10 miles or more to get to your destination.
If you haven’t noticed whining noises when fitting a space saver to the drive axle you will probably next time. Also a good idea to check pressure and top up at least once a year because these tyres has higher pressure 55psi or more and if they are low the event I am talking about will be multiplied by much. 👍🛞

Another mote : some these space savers wheels need a different type of lug nuts, best to check owners manual. 👌

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links