Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2023 v1 Map Update Available

Rigsby

On 3/25/2024 at 6:48 PM, Kered said:

Can you indicate how you transferred the data to the USB?

The map update file that we download from My Toyota eStore is a zip archive - i.e. a compressed structure containing files and directories.

You need to unpack this to the top level of the USB drive so that the USB contains the uncompressed file structure.

Exactly how you do this depends on the IT technology that you are using. On Windows, you simply open the compressed file in Explorer and copy the contents to the USB drive.

I find it easier to apply the map updates via a USB drive rather than OTA ...

23 hours ago, philip42h said:

The map update file that we download from My Toyota eStore is a zip archive - i.e. a compressed structure containing files and directories.

You need to unpack this to the top level of the USB drive so that the USB contains the uncompressed file structure.

Exactly how you do this depends on the IT technology that you are using. On Windows, you simply open the compressed file in Explorer and copy the contents to the USB drive.

I find it easier to apply the map updates via a USB drive rather than OTA ...

Doesn’t the USB need to be formatted Fat32 as well?

26 minutes ago, Roger_N said:

Doesn’t the USB need to be formatted Fat32 as well?

Yes

On 4/2/2023 at 9:43 PM, Flatcoat said:

So to drive a Toyota and update the satnav I have to be a computer expert? I appreciate the replies but it is simply unacceptable for this process to be so difficult. In this day and age the updates should simply be automatic. 

Before my 2022 Rav4, I had a Hyundai Tuscon. Their map updates were so simple. You download their own 'Map-updater' file. In this file, you can see the various updates with their respective dates. You click the update you want and download it to your PC. Then transfer the file to a USB (simples) stick it in the USB socket in the car and go for a half-hour drive. It loads and instals the update into your map data and firmware and It's FREE. What is wrong with Toyota, Hyundai can outdo them on updates. Poor show Toyota!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, Kered said:

Before my 2022 Rav4, I had a Hyundai Tuscon. Their map updates were so simple. You download their own 'Map-updater' file. In this file, you can see the various updates with their respective dates. You click the update you want and download it to your PC. Then transfer the file to a USB (simples) stick it in the USB socket in the car and go for a half-hour drive. It loads and instals the update into your map data and firmware and It's FREE. What is wrong with Toyota, Hyundai can outdo them on updates. Poor show Toyota!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Toyota system is more or less exactly the same - you download the update you want to your PC, transfer the content to a USB stick (simples as you say), stick it in the USB socket in the car and leave the car in Ready mode for around 75 minutes - you can drive it or not as you wish. Yes, it does take a surprisingly long time!

Three years' worth of updates are included in the price of a new car, but it gets 'expensive' after that so if Hyundai are really offering 'lifetime' updates for free that would be one up to them.

Toyota also offer automatic OTA updates if you have decent connectivity from the car and choose to do it that way.

I do like the idea of a built in SatNav.  I really like and respect Toyota's engineering and car design/manufacturing prowess but the SatNav is a bit, well, clunky.  Coupled with the cost of the map upgrades, I think there are other options that are worth considering.  Tom Tom works quite well on Apple Car play and the cost of the App is quite modest.  As I said I like things OE and built in where possible.

On 3/31/2024 at 7:25 PM, philip42h said:

The Toyota system is more or less exactly the same - you download the update you want to your PC, transfer the content to a USB stick (simples as you say), stick it in the USB socket in the car and leave the car in Ready mode for around 75 minutes - you can drive it or not as you wish. Yes, it does take a surprisingly long time!

Three years' worth of updates are included in the price of a new car, but it gets 'expensive' after that so if Hyundai are really offering 'lifetime' updates for free that would be one up to them.

Toyota also offer automatic OTA updates if you have decent connectivity from the car and choose to do it that way.

Can I ask you where on the internet can you download the latest software updates from Toyota? As I've said previously, when I try the OTA updates the Media unit in the car keeps coming up with "Wrong Password Try Again", so any help in downloading the file to my PC would be greatly appreciated. I have  2022 Rav4

37 minutes ago, Kered said:

Can I ask you where on the internet can you download the latest software updates from Toyota? As I've said previously, when I try the OTA updates the Media unit in the car keeps coming up with "Wrong Password Try Again", so any help in downloading the file to my PC would be greatly appreciated. I have  2022 Rav4

This should be a good starting point for you.

https://www.toyota.co.uk/customer/portal#/tiles/ownedCars

Navigate from there to the car for which you want the update and then pick from the software available.

59 minutes ago, Strangely Brown said:

This should be a good starting point for you.

https://www.toyota.co.uk/customer/portal#/tiles/ownedCars

Navigate from there to the car for which you want the update and then pick from the software available.

And if that link doesn't work for you - it didn't for me - try going via the My Toyota Customer Portal. It should then invite you to log-in with your My Toyota Account and you can go from there.

From the Dashboard on the lefthand side you should be able to view your Ordered, Owned and Saved cars and, a little lower down, the eStore.

From the eStore you should be able to purchase map updates (at zero cost if you have a valid and unexpired Mapcare subscription) and/or download previously purchased updates via the "Purchased Items" tab.

image.thumb.png.481197fda42fed9e2f64e518fdd81ac5.png

You then have access to Download Instructions, the Download itself, and an Activation Code that you will need when you install the update into the car.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have gone through the purchase process, and maps show in my "purchases"  "Active" in the Estore 

https://www.toyota.co.uk/tme#/my-toyota/eStore/purchased

But there is no "download" that I can see.

The car's screen told me earlier that as I am two versions behind, I have to perform a full update.

15 minutes ago, PigletJohn said:

I have gone through the purchase process, and maps show in my "purchases"  "Active" in the Estore 

https://www.toyota.co.uk/tme#/my-toyota/eStore/purchased

But there is no "download" that I can see.

The car's screen told me earlier that as I am two versions behind, I have to perform a full update.

If you click on the Map Update entry it should open up to show:

image.thumb.png.145658f11555117051dfed77d8fc8a10.png

Terms and Conditions must be ticked, and you can then print the Activation Code and download the update ...

(Does that number display private information about my car?  If so I will remove it.)

Thanks

20 minutes ago, PigletJohn said:

No, I can't see that.

I am on page

https://www.toyota.co.uk/customer/portal#/ownedCars/3181180

It says "over the air map updates" and displays ticks against the four I chose.

14 minutes ago, PigletJohn said:

(Does that number display private information about my car?  If so I will remove it.)

Thanks

The links you are posting are pointless ... 😉 We'd have to log-in as you to see the associated content. If you want us to see what's there you'd need to post a screen shot.

Some of the numbers do display [private] information relating to your car - so, yes, I would avoid posting those. But do post a redacted screen shot so that we can see what is going on.

What navigation system do you have? My comments are based on the Touch 2 system that I have. You may well have a later system ...

I have found it now.

Although there seems to be no confirmation on the computer in the house,  I have started up the car and navigated its screen to settings/toyotaonline/map updates information

The car had turned off Auto Update because it was two updates behind, so I set it manually to "check for updates" and it found the two I had ordered.  I was then able to turn back on "auto check" and "auto download"

It then took about 15 minutes to download the files from the house WiFi, and it now says "Installation in progress"  Aher ten minutes it is about 40% complete.

Edited by PigletJohn
Correct typos

I found it tiresome that although I am eligible for free updates, when I started trying to order, it showed as costing £119.  It was only when I reluctantly went to the payment page that the price displayed changed to zero.

It says that you need a USB stick of at least 8GB, in fact the unpacked files are over 13GB on the current European maps, so your USB stick needs to be at least 16GB

I did not see an option to download onto a memory stick.  Where is it?

The four countries I selected earlier have now installed.  However the car says it still needs a full update.  I can't see an option to download it on the customer portal 

https://www.toyota.co.uk/customer/portal#/ownedCars

This is the message on the car:

20240417_133954.thumb.jpg.9269e25e3924549b395c895eeb48280a.jpg

2 hours ago, philip42h said:

What navigation system do you have? My comments are based on the Touch 2 system that I have. You may well have a later system ...

"My Toyota" says it has 

ToyotaTouch2 MM19

1 hour ago, PigletJohn said:

The four countries I selected earlier have now installed.  However the car says it still needs a full update.  I can't see an option to download it on the customer portal 

https://www.toyota.co.uk/customer/portal#/ownedCars

This is the message on the car:

20240417_133954.thumb.jpg.9269e25e3924549b395c895eeb48280a.jpg

As I said previously, the links you are posting are pointless - we'd have to log-in as you to see what you see. Follow your own link, take a screen shot and post it to show us what you see ...

16 minutes ago, philip42h said:

As I said previously, the links you are posting are pointless - we'd have to log-in as you to see what you see. Follow your own link, take a screen shot and post it to show us what you see ...

These are the map updates offered to me.  There are 16.  I can choose 4.  There is no mention of a download to memory stick.

chrome_screenshot_17Apr202415_39_18BST.thumb.png.f357654f0b8c2f6bc87ff767bc9d51ba.png

And this is the page with that list minimised 

chrome_screenshot_17Apr202415_43_04BST2.thumb.png.d40bd928609ca38741ef6720f48cae19.png

9 minutes ago, PigletJohn said:

These are the map updates offered to me.  There are 16.  I can choose 4.  There is no mention of a download to memory stick.

chrome_screenshot_17Apr202415_39_18BST.thumb.png.f357654f0b8c2f6bc87ff767bc9d51ba.png

No, those are the OTA update options - so it was worth posting to show that you are looking in the wrong place! 😉

What do you see at My Toyota (log-in) > eStore > Purchased Items   ?

Edit: via the eStore link

image.thumb.png.99fda493eb9c12f36740be957490aeac.png

This is the first page of the portal.  In the bottom right hand corner it offers "over the air map updates"

It does not offer other updates.

chrome_screenshot_17Apr202415_52_04BST.thumb.png.b07f1bf910dea280733975adf61a3bcc.png

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links