Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2023 v1 Map Update Available

Rigsby

On 4/3/2023 at 7:43 AM, Flatcoat said:

Sorry that excuse doesn’t wash. Google maps updates without the user needing a degree in computer software. 

It’s not so much about needing a degree in computer software, more like being able to follow a sequence of instructions.

There are plenty of tutorials / videos available online, taking you through the process step by step, it’s nowhere near as difficult as you suggest.

I have my phone bluetoothed to the car and the car allowed to use mobile data.

My maps have updated to 2023 without me doing anything.  I just got a message the other day on the screen to tell me it had happened.

On 3/31/2023 at 5:15 PM, Strangely Brown said:

Ah, now that I did not know. I had read that once started you should not switch off or remove the stick.

I don't doubt you for a second, but do I trust it enough not to brick the Nav system. Hmmmm....

Maybe I'll just find somewhere to go that takes a couple of hours.

My map is now updated to 2023v1.

I took the option to go for a drive and popped the stick in the slot before leaving. It was recognised automatically and once the files were validated and the activation code entered it started installing the update. While it did say that the process could be interrupted and resumed later I was not brave enough to test that assertion.

From start to finish took just about 75 mins and was, as last time, remarkably easy and trouble free.

Interestingly, Toyota want £119 for 2023 update, guessing its because i've passed 3 years.  Not happening as TBH since adding Android Auto, I don't use the onboard Sat Nav

• Like 1

Yes £119 after 3 years, it seems a bit steep to my way of thinking. I know they say that it’s not just the maps but they are processing the data and allowing the three years updates for new cars cars I might have expected them more reasonable for the paid content after that.

41 minutes ago, BigR1ch said:

Interestingly, Toyota want £119 for 2023 update, guessing its because i've passed 3 years.  Not happening as TBH since adding Android Auto, I don't use the onboard Sat Nav

I too have a 2020 registered car and got 2023 v1 for free. It may depend upon exactly when in 2020 your car was registered. Alternative, as you probably already know, it shows a price of £119 until you get to 'checkout' when it magically drops to zero if you are still within the 3 year period ...

On 4/6/2023 at 11:18 AM, philip42h said:

I too have a 2020 registered car and got 2023 v1 for free. It may depend upon exactly when in 2020 your car was registered. Alternative, as you probably already know, it shows a price of £119 until you get to 'checkout' when it magically drops to zero if you are still within the 3 year period ...

Mine was registered 2nd March 2020.

I have a 2021 car and have updated the map to 2023 v1.

You may be able to see for how long you will receive map updates in the "purchased items" section of eStore in My Toyota (website, not app).
Mine shows 3yr map care and I can only assume it was included with the car when new.
image.thumb.png.b713d4e1174ea351fe511572a8e64eaa.png

I guess I'll get 2 more updates before I have to start paying.

Buy a new car with SmartConnect.  It does an automatic OTA update (Yaris Cross) - it says.  Mine is going in to the garage next week; they had another car in yesterday to do the update.

The car told me it had an update and then refused to display the SatNav.  We had just emerged from an underground car park in the Haig and dependent on the SatNav.  Nice try Toyota.

My satnav is back to its disappearing Road trick….. apparently yesterday I drove to Manchester directly across the fields and moors…… utter rubbish. 

Adrian, what was the weather like?  

How long was it off-road?

Yesterday, driving up from Harwich my Google map plot was also off the road for a few miles. If it only has a couple of satellites in view it is reliant on snap-to-road for a precise position.

It does it randomly from time to time irrespective of location and weather. It’s simply cr8p and the worst in car sat nav I have experienced. That is comparing with Volvo, Seat, VW, Audi over the past 15 years. 

That could be an issue with the car antenna perhaps?

I've had it occasionally in mine but no more often than it happened in my 2019 Focus.

The funniest thing was driving down the M1 last week and the road was crawling so the satnav took me off, round the roundabout and back again and I arrived a whole 3 cars up from the position that I'd left. 🤣

I hadn't clocked what it was doing, as previously it's done this to take me down a few junctions on the a road and then back on, otherwise I really wouldn't have bothered. 

24 minutes ago, Yugguy1970 said:

, as previously it's done this to take me down a few junctions on the a road and then back 

That has also happened to me for no good reason. when you are towing a caravan on a long journey and the sat nav takes you off and down country lanes from where you can see the motorway is clear - it is at best, incredibly frustrating. 

• Like 1

Aye, usually I have someone with me on lomg journeys so I get them to look at Google maps traffic 😁

The missus loves her Android auto in the Yaris and just uses Google maps onto the head unit, but I just really dislike the Googleness of it and how everything is tracked so a computer can second guess your entire life.

2 hours ago, Yugguy1970 said:

The funniest thing was driving down the M1 last week and the road was crawling so the satnav took me off, round the roundabout and back again and I arrived a whole 3 cars up from the position that I'd left. 🤣

Had the same with 3 cars made in Japan, Honda, Mazda and Toyota the best we had was a Porsche Cayenne but they did want over £600 for a map update and only the first year free (or should I say included in the price).

3 hours ago, Yugguy1970 said:

The funniest thing was driving down the M1 last week and the road was crawling so the satnav took me off, round the roundabout and back again and I arrived a whole 3 cars up from the position that I'd left. 

I had this on the A14 this week.  The traffic was at a standstill and the deviation was slip road, roundabout, slip road - save 21 minutes was the estimate. 

I took the advice and it seemed to work.  Despite the delays we still got home within 6 minutes of the original eta.  This was all Google maps. 

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Can you indicate how you transferred the data to the USB?

I am still a newbie to rav4 but I assume that my rav4 2024 doesn't need map update! Where do I find the map version?

At 75 yo I'm struggling to get a map update OTA. The Nav unit shows I'm connected to my HUB when the car sits outside my window. When I try to go to Toyota Online I get a pop-up saying "Wrong password try again", yet the hub shows connected. Any idea what I'm doing wrong????

10 minutes ago, Kered said:

At 75 yo I'm struggling to get a map update OTA. The Nav unit shows I'm connected to my HUB when the car sits outside my window. When I try to go to Toyota Online I get a pop-up saying "Wrong password try again", yet the hub shows connected. Any idea what I'm doing wrong????

Could it be your toyota online password it is complaining about?

21 minutes ago, Paul john said:

On 3/31/2023 at 3:28 PM, Rigsby said:

Updated via USB, all good. Took about 75 minutes to update.

43312590-7F28-4160-8D0C-237A22BDD20D.jpeg

E71304B1-762F-4540-8797-B4923B129FD6.jpeg

A0747380-4051-4D10-8778-DC1121EB5644.jpeg

20 minutes ago, Paul john said:

it could be my online password, but the pop-up message states 'Try again'. Try again where it doesn't give you a location!!!!!

I still have the previous sat nav update on my USB stick and just couldn't be bothered to spend the time installing it.  I've been regularly installing updates 6 monthly since March 2020 (my previous Corolla and now the Rav4) but since I've started using What3Words and Waze I've lost the will to update Toyota's offering.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Rambler56 said:

I still have the previous sat nav update on my USB stick and just couldn't be bothered to spend the time installing it.  I've been regularly installing updates 6 monthly since March 2020 (my previous Corolla and now the Rav4) but since I've started using What3Words and Waze I've lost the will to update Toyota's offering.

2 hours a year of your life that you never get back.

im a fan of tomtomgo on carplay for the same reason. 

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links