Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2023 v1 Map Update Available

Rigsby

Available as download direct to car or from Toyota.co.uk

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Updated via USB, all good. Took about 75 minutes to update.

43312590-7F28-4160-8D0C-237A22BDD20D.jpeg

E71304B1-762F-4540-8797-B4923B129FD6.jpeg

A0747380-4051-4D10-8778-DC1121EB5644.jpeg

• Like 2

I have it downloaded and unpacked onto a stick. Now I just need to find the enthusiasm to sit in the car for 75mins.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Strangely Brown said:

I have it downloaded and unpacked onto a stick. Now I just need to find the enthusiasm to sit in the car for 75mins.

I went on a drive up to my daughters 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Strangely Brown said:

Mine's sat outside updating now ... It takes a few minutes to validate the update package before you can enter the activation code. After that you can switch off and then drive the car as normal - it can be interrupted and will update when the engine is running (or so it says).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, philip42h said:

Mine's sat outside updating now ... It takes a few minutes to validate the update package before you can enter the activation code. After that you can switch off and then drive the car as normal - it can be interrupted and will update when the engine is running (or so it says).

Ah, now that I did not know. I had read that once started you should not switch off or remove the stick.

I don't doubt you for a second, but do I trust it enough not to brick the Nav system. Hmmmm....

Maybe I'll just find somewhere to go that takes a couple of hours.

43 minutes ago, philip42h said:

Yeah, it’s a bit confusing, website says don’t interrupt, unit says you can ? I know that you can stop / start the over the air download, but I didn’t risk the USB upload.

Also website says use an 8 GB USB drive or larger, the unpacked download is about 12 GB so I used a 16 GB drive.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Rigsby said:

Yeah, it’s a bit confusing, website says don’t interrupt, unit says you can ? I know that you can stop / start the over the air download, but I didn’t risk the USB upload.

Also website says use an 8 GB USB drive or larger, the unpacked download is about 12 GB so I used a 16 GB drive.

The online instructions are largely junk - they might have been correct back in 2014 but they are pretty obsolete now and 'wrong' in several aspects. I'd believe what it says on the screen as more likely to be correct but as I said earlier "Mine's sat outside updating now ..." 😉

• Like 1

I only updated mine last week, at least it’s straightforward. Last time I put the car in ready mode, slid the key out of the fob & locked the door from the outside & just left it to do its thing with the fob in the car. 

This is total double Dutch to me. Have just spent/wasted an hour trying to connect the car to map update, frustrating doesn’t even cover it. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Flatcoat said:

This is total double Dutch to me. Have just spent/wasted an hour trying to connect the car to map update, frustrating doesn’t even cover it. 

Download it to usb instead GTI. Your computer. Mine wouldn’t update in the car so did it that way. Instructions are clear on the website , it’s not difficult. Leave car in ‘ready’ mode, lock the door using the key in the fob, then no one can steal the car. 

21 minutes ago, Flatcoat said:

Also make sure the USB stick is formatted Fat32, when you unzip the map up date you should see a folder called FMU this contains the map files just copy it to or unzip it to the USB and it must be in the root folder as pic. The name of the USB is can be anything.

Snap9.jpg

Snap10.jpg

33 minutes ago, Flatcoat said:

If you update OTA, as far as I’m aware it only updates the UK maps whereas if you download from the Toyota site it updates Europe maps as well.

Download to computer, unzip to USB drive (min 16GB formatted to FAT32), place USB drive in socket in front of gear selector, start car and follow instructions on screen.

You will need to enter the activation code you get during download, then wait until the update finishes, mine took around 75 minutes.

Be aware that if you are using a Mac to download the default Apple unpacker will give an error message use unarchiver instead. When you connect to the USB it will take some time to check the USB and file is correct just let it do it’s thing then enter the multi part number you can print when you download the file.

So to drive a Toyota and update the satnav I have to be a computer expert? I appreciate the replies but it is simply unacceptable for this process to be so difficult. In this day and age the updates should simply be automatic. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Flatcoat said:

So to drive a Toyota and update the satnav I have to be a computer expert? I appreciate the replies but it is simply unacceptable for this process to be so difficult. In this day and age the updates should simply be automatic. 

image.thumb.gif.1623e0472ec91f6133cbd3c34c173cc5.gif

• Haha 3

Apple make computers. Toyota make cars. For those that cannot, or prefer not to, perform the updates manually or OTA then there is always the dealer network to help. Pretty sure the dealer would update the map when the car goes in for service if asked.

8 hours ago, Strangely Brown said:

Apple make computers. Toyota make cars. For those that cannot, or prefer not to, perform the updates manually or OTA then there is always the dealer network to help. Pretty sure the dealer would update the map when the car goes in for service if asked.

Sorry that excuse doesn’t wash. Google maps updates without the user needing a degree in computer software. 

30 minutes ago, Flatcoat said:

Sorry that excuse doesn’t wash. Google maps updates without the user needing a degree in computer software. 

It’s just some basic computer knowledge that’s need, if you are not au fait with computers yes it can seem daunting but once you have done it, it’s very straight forward.

Instead of getting angry spend 30 minutes giving it a go.

By the way Mazda use the same process.

Google is a software company. Toyota makes cars. Google maps are typically accessed online. i.e. they are not offline maps that update in the device.

I really don't think it is reasonable to expect Apple or Google levels of IT infrastructure behind the maps updates in a car, especially when they already provide OTA updates, manual updates for those that are happy to do them and a dealer network for those than can/are not.

ETA: There is always the option of choosing a different car manufacturer where the offline maps do update automatically. Can't think of one off the top of my head though.

All my recent cars have had a similar off line process some much more complex than Toyota’s. At least Toyota do offer an over the air update for those who want to go down this route.

10 hours ago, Flatcoat said:

My iPhone updates automatically so yes it can be so simple. 

... and, to be fair, exactly the same is true of your RAV4 ...

For your iPhone to update automatically, you have to set it up correctly in the first place - i.e. with your Apple account details (Apple-id etc.), with a connection to the Internet (mobile data SIM and account or wifi) and allow it to make use of Apple services to do the updates. None of that is particularly hard and you either did it or had someone do it for you when you set-up the iPhone in the first place. And that will continue to work for around five years, after which Apple stop fully supporting your device and you need to buy (and set-up) a new one.

I don't use (much) Apple stuff but the same holds true for my Windows and Google / Android devices.

And exactly the same holds true for our RAV4s. You need to have it set up to use Toyota Online Services, supply it with your Toyota account and provide it with a connection to the Internet (via wifi). It will then check for and automatically update Toyota map data over the air (OTA). By default it will only update your local region (so for many of us UK & Ireland), but using the My Toyota web service you can select up to four regions to be updated OTA. Simples ...

I find Windows services easier to use than Apple ones - but that's just a question of familiarity. It isn't true to say one is necessarily better than the other. Similarly, we need to gain some familiarity with Toyota Online Services ...

There are a couple of other potential 'issues':

• We tend to leave our IT devices 'on' 24x7 so that they can perform automatic updates while we sleep (I do anyway) - so the process can be truly automatic and autonomous. For obvious reasons we tend NOT to leave our cars 'on' 24x7 so the update process will tend to be visible and potentially impacting on our use of the vehicle.
  • Some folk disable Toyota Online Services in favour of Android Auto or Apple Car Play - disabling OTA updates in the process. If the owner prefers to use AA for ACP for navigation this probably doesn't matter too much, but if you want the map updates carried out OTA you must re-enable Toyota Online Services for long enough to get it done (so approximately twice a year when some handily posts that an update is available.

Alternatively, you can download the update to USB and apply the full update (all regions) in one go. I prefer this approach because it allows me to update all regions and gives me full control over when the update takes place. (And I can use exactly the same USB to update the wife's C-HR.) It is really not that difficult ... 😉

• Like 4

On 4/3/2023 at 8:16 AM, Strangely Brown said:

I really don't think it is reasonable to expect Apple or Google levels of IT infrastructure behind the maps updates in a car

Given the cost of a car versus the cost of a laptop I DO expect it to be very much better than Toyota standard. I love the marque but every one of the four recent Toyotas I have purchased has had some glitch. In my RAV I just cannot get it to accept the registration let alone do anything more complicated. The Toyota app is often a chocolate teapot. Even the website offering the chance to buy a Toyota is thrice as complicated as it needs to be. 

• Like 2

On 4/3/2023 at 9:10 AM, philip42h said:

if you want the map updates carried out OTA you must re-enable Toyota Online Services for long enough to get it done (so approximately twice a year

Didn't know that. Thanks!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links