Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Tooth Hurty

Bper

5 hours ago, Bper said:

Sorry to hear that Paul but maybe you might want to get your house valued before you go.😭

Not had it valued since buying it in 1999, but after the 2008 Lincolnshire earthquake, some wag on the internet reported that damage totalling £38.50 had been caused to property in the county.

I had previously been in an earthquake near heinsburg in Germany in the early 90s, so fairly quickly realised what was happening.

The correct behaviour in these situations is to leave the building, and run around like a headless chicken while screaming, and looking skywards.

• Haha 4

IIRC, we just thought it was a train on the line, rolled over and back to sleep. 

No train line within 10 miles. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

IIRC, we just thought it was a train on the line, rolled over and back to sleep. 

No train line within 10 miles. 

The actual house here was shaking and vibrating Roy, I suppose we were just that bit closer to the epicenter , which was near market rasen I think.

• Sad 1

On 4/9/2023 at 3:04 PM, Rhymes with Paris said:

Yes Bob, it's obviously all your fault.😉

On a lighter note, I went to my dentist and asked about options to replace a missing tooth. He asked if I'd heard of implants and I replied 'Yes, I believe Katie Price has had a few'. He then asked if I knew anything about bridges and I said 'I have heard of Tower and London bridge'. Finally, he said 'I need to take impressions from you', so I said 'Ladies and gentlemen, thank you very much. Not like that, just like that. Is that good enough'?😍

• Haha 6

I made an appointment at our dentist. He's Chinese and asked me to come in at tooth hurty 😁

• Haha 2

Well the dental clinic where I was attempting to register have given me an emergency appointment on Thursday.

Would you believe at 2.35 pm, the receptionist said that they try to avoid 2.30 as they have heard that one maybe a thousand times before.

Dire warnings of cost, starting out at £80 for the initial look, plus all further treatment, but hey ho when you are in severe pain it doesn't really matter.

Coincidentally on good Friday when the filling and part of the tooth fell out, which does not hurt, the opposite side started hurting pretty bad.

As they used to say in the 70s , maybe I can have the teeth out and a new fireplace fitted.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

51 minutes ago, Rhymes with Paris said:

Well the dental clinic where I was attempting to register have given me an emergency appointment on Thursday.

Would you believe at 2.35 pm, the receptionist said that they try to avoid 2.30 as they have heard that one maybe a thousand times before.

Dire warnings of cost, starting out at £80 for the initial look, plus all further treatment, but hey ho when you are in severe pain it doesn't really matter.

Coincidentally on good Friday when the filling and part of the tooth fell out, which does not hurt, the opposite side started hurting pretty bad.

As they used to say in the 70s , maybe I can have the teeth out and a new fireplace fitted.

According to the BDA (British Dental Association) website dated 28 March 2023, "The government has decided to hike NHS dental charges by 8.5% from 24 April 2023."

If that goes ahead, the price will go from £23.80 to £25.82 for Band 1. These price rises will not benefit dentists or practices the money is going direct to the government. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Rhymes with Paris said:

Paul,

Hope you don't have some of the costs I have had over the last 6 months. 😭

I have had two implants removed at 150 each

Two bridges fitted at 1450 each

One root canal 750

One composite filling for broken enamel front tooth 850

6 trips to local dentist @23.80 each time

4 trip to London @54 return each time

• Sad 2

Hi Bob, I take it you had the implants removed and replaced with bridges ?

Was there a problem with the implants ?  I'm thinking of having a bridge replaced with an implant, but still not 100% sure 😕

• Like 1

Aye Bob ,£476 for yesterday's emergency work, and a way to go yet .

But the shortage of dentists round here, and hearing about people in severe pain for weeks, makes me consider myself lucky to get in anywhere at all.

• Sad 2

On 4/12/2023 at 11:07 AM, Hybrid21 said:

Hi Bob, I take it you had the implants removed and replaced with bridges ?

Was there a problem with the implants ?  I'm thinking of having a bridge replaced with an implant, but still not 100% sure 😕

I've just been fitted with a very small denture for a single tooth (near enough to the front to matter) but it's not my idea of a suitable alternative. It's so small that it frequently feels loose and is giving me a slight lisp. When I asked about eating with it in place, as I feared I could possibly swallow it in one hearty mouthful, my dentist suggested I remove it.

...and for your starter, madam?..."I'll have the garlic mushrooms please and a small container if you have one.....preferably not transparent"

Consequently, I'm contemplating an implant....alas I spent the money on a premium pack for my impending RAV but I too would like to know the reason for the implant removal...if it's not too personal a question?

• Like 2

On 4/6/2023 at 7:44 PM, Bper said:

Well, I was looking at buying a new car but after visiting the dentist I will probably consider a second hand pair of shoes instead. So it seems that all dental work is now the price of a house and the dentists are driving around in new Tesla's and Ferrari's. When I asked for a bridge to replace a lost tooth, I didn't expect to actually spend the same money it would cost to build London Bridge at today's price.

Still, now I can only dream of winning the lottery and hope that I win enough to pay for a filling.😭

Curious you mentioned it that way... Just last month, went to my dentist to fix everything, she quoted me on 4500 euros! And guess what I told her... "I could buy a car with that much money!"

• Haha 2

And more filling in that tooth, including part of the tooth, fell out today 😊

• Sad 2

17 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

Sorry to hear that Roy, it's not much fun having tooth trouble.

Are you getting good treatment from those people that you mentioned earlier in the thread?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

Hi Roy,

I don't know if this helps but I had part of a front tooth break off and it was fixed back on with no guarantee that it would last and it didn't.  It broke away a couple of months later.

However I have had a composite restoration on this tooth and it is as good as new with no problems and looks the same as the rest of the teeth. It is a simple procedure and cheaper then having it removed then other options for replacement.  The trouble with broken enamel and teeth they show the dentine which is a browny yellow that you can't get rid of unless it's restored or replaced and it looks like you neglect your hygiene. 

Hope this helps

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rhymes with Paris said:

Aye Bob ,£476 for yesterday's emergency work, and a way to go yet .

But the shortage of dentists round here, and hearing about people in severe pain for weeks, makes me consider myself lucky to get in anywhere at all.

Hi Paul,

I'm glad you got treatment and I fully appreciate your comments on people's pain. Tooth problems can be awful and you are helpless to do anything other than hope that you can get it treated as soon as possible.

It might be me, but it always seem that tooth pain appears to happen on a Friday evening or over the weekend when you can't get seen.

I assume your cost was for fillings and no doubt as you say you need more treatment. So I assume you have been given a quote for the additional work so you can see how much you will get for selling one of your organs?😂

I understood from your previous post that you lost amalgam and I assume this cost was private and not NHS as fillings are supposed to be covered under one of the bands. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jcps001 said:

Curious you mentioned it that way... Just last month, went to my dentist to fix everything, she quoted me on 4500 euros! And guess what I told her... "I could buy a car with that much money!"

Hi Jose,

Funny how witticisms can mimic reality.😂

• Like 2

Bper, neglect certainly, 70 years ago. 

Rhymes, yes, good service.  They fitted crown just before Covid and were to fit a second a few months later but it had to wait. 

The lost fillings are most of the tooth and probably a good move as it gives her a clear run. I think one filling will be better than trying to add a filling to a filling. 

You know how the police supposedly can get an identification from your dental work.  Well, back in the 70s I had a filling bya dentist.  Over 10 years later, in a different part of the country, I had that tooth reworked.  He made some remark about the filling to which I replied "well you should know, you did it". 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Rhymes with Paris said:

Are you getting good treatment from those people that you mentioned earlier in the thread?

I might add, this is an Indian dentist group.  All the qualified doctors are Indian with English assistants and receptionists. 

Don't get me wrong when I say their surgery is not all shiney glass. 

The money is where it matters.  The waiting area is clean and smart but austere.  There are few chairs but that is because you don't wait more than a few minutes. 

The lift is interesting and essentially unpainted, but it works. 

The treatment rooms are very well appointed and IT top notch. 

On my last visit I was prescribed 3 tubes of toothpaste £30 but free for my prescription. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, pepperoni said:

I've just been fitted with a very small denture for a single tooth (near enough to the front to matter) but it's not my idea of a suitable alternative. It's so small that it frequently feels loose and is giving me a slight lisp. When I asked about eating with it in place, as I feared I could possibly swallow it in one hearty mouthful, my dentist suggested I remove it.

...and for your starter, madam?..."I'll have the garlic mushrooms please and a small container if you have one.....preferably not transparent"

Consequently, I'm contemplating an implant....alas I spent the money on a premium pack for my impending RAV but I too would like to know the reason for the implant removal...if it's not too personal a question?

Hi Lynn, I was exactly in the same position as you in 1985 when my spaniel jumped up and our teeth clashed, I came off the worst ☹️

I couldn't live with the plate and went to another dentist who fitted a butterfly bridge.

That was in 1986 and I've still got that bridge, but now with dental technology etc moving on I've been thinking of an implant.

Don't tolerate a plate, look at other options 👍

• Like 1

6 hours ago, pepperoni said:

Hi Lynn,

I have sent you a PM regarding this.👍

3 hours ago, Bper said:

Hi Paul,

I'm glad you got treatment and I fully appreciate your comments on people's pain. Tooth problems can be awful and you are helpless to do anything other than hope that you can get it treated as soon as possible.

It might be me, but it always seem that tooth pain appears to happen on a Friday evening or over the weekend when you can't get seen.

I assume your cost was for fillings and no doubt as you say you need more treatment. So I assume you have been given a quote for the additional work so you can see how much you will get for selling one of your organs?😂

I understood from your previous post that you lost amalgam and I assume this cost was private and not NHS as fillings are supposed to be covered under one of the bands. 

Not exactly Bob, the old filling lost was an an old amalgam filling from many decades ago, when dentists used steam power 😉 connected to the actual drill by exposed rubber bands x2, very slow and painful.

But hey ho , back then, things were different.

But as regards now, private treatment is the only option.

The treatment yesterday was two surgical extractions including a complication of  sinus proximity, and a temporary filling on the tooth that fell off.

An emergency consultation at £80 to have a look +,4 x-rays of teeth .

I expect a further £500 or so, but as I say, when someone is in severe pain, they will do anything to alleviate that, I think that I am lucky to have that option.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Rhymes with Paris said:

Not exactly Bob, the old filling lost was an an old amalgam filling from many decades ago, when dentists used steam power 😉 connected to the actual drill by exposed rubber bands x2, very slow and painful.

But hey ho , back then, things were different.

But as regards now, private treatment is the only option.

The treatment yesterday was two surgical extractions including a complication of  sinus proximity, and a temporary filling on the tooth that fell off.

An emergency consultation at £80 to have a look +,4 x-rays of teeth .

I expect a further £500 or so, but as I say, when someone is in severe pain, they will do anything to alleviate that, I think that I am lucky to have that option.

Hi Paul ,

Was the sinus proximity an issue with your sinus or is this for future implants to replace the missing teeth. Your right for those of us that can afford to have treatment we are lucky as there is no worse pain then tooth ache.

What troubles me is if the costs for private treatment continue to rise at the levels they are will we still be able to afford it. I think insurance policies may well be the only way to cover these costs as time goes on.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Rhymes with Paris said:

Was that before or after pedal powered drills? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I'm also looking at having to have some dental work done in the near future. Reading this thread has scared me as to the exorbitant prices being charged. I am luckier than most in that I have a Medical policy through work. It doesn't pay out a huge amount for dental work, but at least I;ll be able to recover £250 of the thousands I can expect to pay. I may have to bite the bullet (and perhaps lose another tooth) and pay up. 

I am going to enjoy the weekend. It's probably going to be the last time I'll be able to afford to go out for a while. I can't believe the prices being charged.  

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links