Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Stop the production of pan. Roof?

hostelb

1 hour ago, Cyker said:

When you can tilt or open the roof it cools down MUCH quicker tho' - Using the AC in conjunction with a tilted open sunroof is the fastest way to cool a car down and it's one thing I do miss from my Mk1 as no other Yaris since then has been capable of doing that!

I think you’d have to use pretty sensitive equipment to measure the difference in speed between opening the sunroof or cracking the windows open.  

I like the pan roof but it is noisier on a windy day than a solid roof.  I can reach both blinds when driving so I can reduce glare.  Overall I’m happy but I wouldn’t be devastated without it.  There is a big advantage, if a passing firefly lands on the roof it triples the output from the miserable interior light. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

The problem with opening the windows is all the cold AC air goes out the window too, so you may as well not use it and just leave the windows open until the cabin temperature has dropped to ambient, then close them and fire up the AC, and on a hot day you'll be sweating for a while waiting for that!

With the sunroof open or even just tilted, I found it cooled down the cabin much faster than if I just ran the AC in a totally closed car. My theory is with the sunroof open, the hot air can just rise up as it's replaced with cooled AC air, whereas in a closed car the AC has to cool down all the ambient air trapped in the car.

It also helps with a sunroof you can leave it tilted open in summer to stop the heat buildup getting too excessive; In the sort of areas I park, I wouldn't dare do that with the side windows unless I had wind deflectors to hide the gap!

5 hours ago, Cyker said:

The problem with opening the windows is all the cold AC air goes out the window too, so you may as well not use it and just leave the windows open until the cabin temperature has dropped to ambient, then close them and fire up the AC, and on a hot day you'll be sweating for a while waiting for that!

With the sunroof open or even just tilted, I found it cooled down the cabin much faster than if I just ran the AC in a totally closed car. My theory is with the sunroof open, the hot air can just rise up as it's replaced with cooled AC air, whereas in a closed car the AC has to cool down all the ambient air trapped in the car.

It also helps with a sunroof you can leave it tilted open in summer to stop the heat buildup getting too excessive; In the sort of areas I park, I wouldn't dare do that with the side windows unless I had wind deflectors to hide the gap!

Is this the forum of making stuff up 😉.   You’ll be accusing me of removing all 4 doors to let the air out.  On the Cross Excel you can open the windows just a tiny bit so having to open them fully or not at all must be on the version for lesser mortals, the ones that live on a council estate and take drugs (I originate from the lowest council estate known to man before the woke alarm cracks up).  By the way, if somebody wants in, your closed sunroof won’t stop them, never mind open.  On the subject of slightly open windows, anchorwoman went to the supermarket not long ago and I got a text on my phone to say the left rear window had been left open.  She protested her innocence right up to being nearly at it before finding it was open about 10mm.  Good stuff in my opinion.  Can’t try it on my pan roof because……  it doesn’t open 🙄

No seriously!! I know it sounds stupid but it works!! :laugh: 

I find with the side windows they're either open too little to make a difference or turbulence from the outside whips up all the air inside enough to reduce the cooling effect (If you're stationary it does help, but then the AC condenser doesn't work as efficiently because it's only being cooled by the fan etc.)

You're right about whether things are open or not deterring a determined thief, but there's not much you can do about those anyway; It's the casual opportunistic ones that are more the problem, and they seem far more likely to have a go at a car with a slightly open side window than a tilted sunroof.

1 hour ago, Cyker said:

and they seem far more likely to have a go at a car with a slightly open side window than a tilted sunroof

There are some extremely thin thieves around here Cyker.

• Haha 1

Brrr that's giving me flashbacks of a certain X-Files episode...!! :fear: 

• Haha 1

I see the latest trick by the scum of the earth is to break the rear window allowing them to flip the rear seat back down to see if there is anything valuable in the boot saving them breaking into the car for nothing.

The Purpose and Function of Quarter Glass

25 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Brrr that's giving me flashbacks of a certain X-Files episode...!! :fear: 

Me too, there are a few in this area who could appear opposite agent Scully without any prosthetics or makeup .

One of the theories is that they crawl out of the sewage system at night.

As for myself, I reckon that 20 years of never hearing the word "no", and being praised frequently for bad behaviour, has come home to roost.

• Haha 2

On 4/20/2023 at 6:17 AM, Max_Headroom said:

Could i ask why members want a glass roof, we have air con and filters  why have something that makes the car hotter, let's dirty air in and is noisy when open? 

I have a corolla excel and the pan roof lets light into the dark and gloomy interior .. black headliner, seats etc. Why can't you specify a white one?????

• Like 3

For what it's worth, right now they are still offering the pan roof in our market

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, CruxisCore said:

For what it's worth, right now they are still offering the pan roof in our market

Thanks! Which market? Do they deliver?

1 hour ago, YarisHybrid2016 said:

Thanks! Which market? Do they deliver?

Finland. I wouldnt know if they actually deliver but the estimated delivery time lives with the choices you make. Shortest delivery Ive found was like 4-5 weeks and the panorama roof option I just tried gives the same 15 weeks that I got for mine even with no pan roof

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Hi all. Is the car with the pano roof significantly noisier than without it? Particularly at highway speeds.

17 hours ago, MG95 said:

Hi all. Is the car with the pano roof significantly noisier than without it? Particularly at highway speeds.

No...I have a pano roof....take no notice of people who don't have one....they are jealous.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Can't say for the Cross ( ordered the pano roof but it only added complications to the delivery time ) but I can speak from experience with my other cars.

The pano roof is QUIETER than a metal roof.  Stands to reason - the glass is laminated and approx 5mm thick. That's around 7 times thicker than the guage of steel used in vehicle production.

I mean...  slam the rear doors shut on a Yaris and they close with all the might of a tin can. I know it's all about weight saving but it's embarrasing cheap sounding. When it comes to noise, I'd have thought the pano roof is probably the best insulation there is on a Yaris. 🤣  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You're not wrong, they're so thin and tinny that I reckon with some strategic dents my doors could be used in a steel drum band :laugh: 

Can't argue with that 70-80 mpg tho'... It's very impressive they still managed to keep the weight near a ton, even with the extra mass of the traction Battery. I think it's slightly lighter than the Mk3 too!

But that's probably why the pano roof is quieter - It's significantly thicker and heavier than the outer metal skin of the car, and that helps absorb vibration and noise.

Well I had a pan roof and it was definitely noisy in windy weather so that eliminates the jealousy theory.  It’s noisy because it doesn’t have a headliner that’s all, nothing to do with glass v steel.  It didn’t bother me at all but it was noticeable.  

• Confused 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links