Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Stop the production of pan. Roof?

hostelb

The best view for the pan roof is for the back seat passengers in my opinion.  It doesn’t open as it’s one piece.  I can hear wind more than a normal roof.

IMG_4970.thumb.jpeg.ecfa7bbe46b921972df5afd71956171f.jpeg

The normal sunroofs that leak only do so because of poor maintenance in my experience.   They need opening and cleaning inside the aperture every month even through the winter to stop the seal sticking and going hard.  Some people don’t wash their car every 6 months let alone open the roof.  Next thing the drains are full of crud and water comes in.  
The suggestion that the stones will break a glass roof are not impossible but unlikely in my opinion.  They are more likely to break the screen facing forwards but are low risk on top.  I’ll probably get it now but never have with cars since 2006 which was my first.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Yugguy1970 said:

In winter especially, cold outside air on your face but warm air at your feet.

You know nothing about the Yaris cross pan roof....they don't open !

You are right i have never seen one in the flesh, my comment was based on the post saying he wants cold air in his face and warm on his feet, i assumed he meant he opened it.

The fact it doesn't open for me makes it a pointless and expensive waste of space and potential problem in the future.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, Max_Headroom said:

Could i ask why members want a glass roof, we have air con and filters  why have something that makes the car hotter, let's dirty air in and is noisy when open? 

Let's deal with that one.

1: The Pan roof on my current car does not make it hotter. The pan roof uses different glass to a windscreen / front windows. It actually reflects heat.

2: You're obviously letting your bias rule your head because no Yaris Cross roof opens. So that negates dirty air and noisy any accusations.

3: If it did open like the ones on my current non-toyotas, air flows over the roof. The noise certainly isn't an issue given there's an air deflector that pops up when the roof opens. Put it this way, it's quieter than an air conditioning unit.

4: As you may know, hot air rises. So when I entered the car during last summer, 1st thing I'd do is open the roof and the temp drops within secs.

5: It's a beautiful clear blue sky today here in Scotland, but the wind is very chilly. I needed a fleece when I was walking to the car but when in the car I just opened the roof and the sun was beating down on my head as if it was the middle of summer. That not might be everyone's idea of bliss but it is to me.

6: Like the GR I'm waiting on, my current car has a black suede-like interior and dark roof. When the blind is opened, the sunroof lets in more light.

7. By any stretch of the imagination, the rear cabin of the YarisX is tight to say the least. I'd have imagined the panoroof would at least make the area look more spacious than it is.

23 hours ago, hostelb said:

Any reason why it stopped the production of Pan. Roof in whole Yaris Cross series?

But it ( toyota? ) hasn't stopped production of the Pan Roof in the whole Yaris Cross series. You can still order a Yaris Cross in France with a sunroof, you can buy one in Germany with a sunroof etc.

The question you need to be asking is why did the UK importer delete the sunroof option? I haven't a clue.

As for price, on my original order the sunroof was something like £330 - which is peanuts when the car costs £30k. It was probably the cheapest pano roof on the market. I paid £1300 for it on my current car and would have no hesitation doing so again. Defo not a necessity but something that for me is nice to have the option to open it or to just light in car or if it's a horrible day, I just close the shade and it's like a fixed roof car.  The kids however, they love it.

Hope that answers your questions. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I'm not a fan of panoramic roofs, but I can see it being helpful with the low roofline of the Mk4 Yaris, as I've had a few occasions where I couldn't see the traffic lights due to them being mounted too close to the line and a lack of repeaters further out.

I'd love a normal-sized pan-tilt one tho', as they're good for ventilation at high speeds without the buffeting, and once used my old Mk1 to transport a small tree for my mum with it sticking out the roof :laugh: 

Especially in summer when the car is an oven, it's really nice being able to tilt it up and turn on the AC so the car fills with cool air faster and pushes all the hot air out the top. Doesn't work so well with just lowering the windows as they churn all the air up.

The one in the Mk1 was great; Even tho' it did leak, it was never a problem because it was designed to and had a drainage channel to stop it going into the cabin.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, flash22 said:

Purely production and cost as you would need to batch cars with pano roof option that slows production as you need the reset stations on the line

it's not only the glass but interior, wiring and much more

What !!!   How far back in car production are you going to suggest something like that. The days of British Leyand have long gone 😁

Modern robot controlled car production is completely different. You can have a whole line of cars going down the assembly line - different colours, different trims, different options...   it's all computer controlled. They don't say " right this afternoon were' going to build Blue Excel models with 7" sat nav option.  First car could be a red Design, next could be a white Excel with an option of different alloys + JBL.

When the assembly workers inserts a dashboard for instance, it's not any old dashboard they've picked at random, it's the dashboard that was specificly tailored for that particular order. It's an incredibly complex and impressive system.

have a look at some of the production line videos available on Youtube. 

• Like 2

Maybe that works to a certain extent depending on the car, but with the Yaris, at least, the pano roof cars have a significantly different top structure to the normal ones so I think it would need a separate line. It's not like having different door cards or different modules; The base chassis has to be made differently to accommodate the glass, as well as extra strengthening that the normal one doesn't need as they can just put the structural folds into it etc. The differences are significant enough I think it would warrant a separate line as it would greatly lessen the chances of mistakes being made during manufacture.

• Like 1

A lot of assembly is still done by hand, you still need multiple stations down the production line to add the configuration, cars are still batch made otherwise you will need 10 of 1000's of parts on the floor

to start with, the bare body Shell is different on a pano roof car, as will the paint procedure will be different as you have no roof skin

each car has a build slot and the parts are on the floor for that shift's run, say out of 1000 cars you only have 50 pano roof cars it makes sense to build them at the same time. The product is on the floor, and you only need trained people for that procedure on one shift, it reduces costs and speeds up production

• Like 2

Aye to be fair I was thinking of old style sunroofs pan and tilt type.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yugguy1970 said:

Aye to be fair I was thinking of old style sunroofs pan and tilt type.

Tilt and slide?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

To be fair there are tilting panoramics so pan and tilt could be a thing :laugh: 

But we know what he means!

The hand wind tilt slide on the tsport works well, and no leaks, the deflector lifts smoothly.

Now it is 20 years old, I am happy it does not have electric motors like my old Lexus had, to go wrong,nice and simple.

As regards transporting trees in a Yaris, the old saying still holds, "there is plenty of room upwards"

• Like 1

2: You're obviously letting your bias rule your head because no Yaris Cross roof opens. So that negates dirty air and noisy any accusations.

You say bias i prefer a different point of view sorry if i have upset your feelings i have never met a sunroof fanboy before.

I have already said i have never seen one i assumed as with most sun roofs it slid back.

3: If it did open like the ones on my current non-toyotas, air flows over the roof. The noise certainly isn't an issue given there's an air deflector that pops up when the roof opens. Put it this way, it's quieter than an air conditioning unit.

I have had a few cars with sun roofs and even with the air deflector thy are still noisier than when its closed, i have never heard the air con only the fan inside the car  as you need the fan on for it to work it doesnt bother me one bit and on number two its not overly loud

4: As you may know, hot air rises. So when I entered the car during last summer, 1st thing I'd do is open the roof and the temp drops within secs.

So when its 28c outside and you open the roof it drops within seconds drops to what 28c? 

7. By any stretch of the imagination, the rear cabin of the YarisX is tight to say the least. I'd have imagined the panoroof would at least make the area look more spacious than it is.

Who cares about how big the rear of their car looks i would be more worried about *lost headroom and i don't mean someone in my family going missing 😉

* I dont know if you lose any headroom but as most reviewers say the sunroof takes up headroom i will go with it.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Modern robot controlled car production is completely different. You can have a whole line of cars going down the assembly line - different colours, different trims, different options...

A lot of assembly is still done by hand, you still need multiple stations down the production line to add the configuration, cars are still batch made otherwise you will need 10 of 1000's of parts on the floor

2 hours ago, Cyker said:

Maybe that works to a certain extent depending on the car, but with the Yaris, at least, the pano roof cars have a significantly different top structure to the normal ones so I think it would need a separate line

Ron aint going to like this you have posted facts that  prove him wrong, its going to end in tears  😉

5 hours ago, RonYarisX said:

But it ( toyota? ) hasn't stopped production of the Pan Roof in the whole Yaris Cross series. You can still order a Yaris Cross in France with a sunroof, you can buy one in Germany with a sunroof etc.

The question you need to be asking is why did the UK importer delete the sunroof option? I haven't a clue.

Big fat blame Brexit there, items such as Pan roof glass and JBL sound systems are hard to come by due to supply restrictions.

Now Toyota Motor Europe control the factories (not the Sales company for each market) and their output, TMUK @ Burnastion still install JBL into Corolla TMMF in France Still install JBL/Pano roof into Yaris/Yaris cross but only for EU market not UK why because TME need to cut sales to maintain production and prevent excess uncovered orders now if for example they said no sales in France or Germany EU rules against discrimination between EU countries could be cited, the UK is a sizable market but no longer gets these EU protections so it is easy to prevent the UK from ordering.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Peter,

Check your Conformance Certificate for actual Build Date.

In late 2022, Excel had HUD & Pano available & was cheaper to buy.

Tel

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Devon Aygo said:

Big fat blame Brexit there, items such as Pan roof glass and JBL sound systems are hard to come by due to supply restrictions.

Now Toyota Motor Europe control the factories (not the Sales company for each market) and their output, TMUK @ Burnastion still install JBL into Corolla TMMF in France Still install JBL/Pano roof into Yaris/Yaris cross but only for EU market not UK why because TME need to cut sales to maintain production and prevent excess uncovered orders now if for example they said no sales in France or Germany EU rules against discrimination between EU countries could be cited, the UK is a sizable market but no longer gets these EU protections so it is easy to prevent the UK from ordering.

Exactly.  I didn’t know that was the case but suspected it strongly.  I’ve seen that new models are coming out with JBL for other markets so knew something was behind it.  

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Tel 2 said:

Peter,

Check your Conformance Certificate for actual Build Date.

In late 2022, Excel had HUD & Pano available & was cheaper to buy.

Tel

Yup....MY2023.

Wasn't the HUD only available on the initial Premier edition....it wasn't available when I ordered my Excel October 2022?

I miss my old Corsa with a sunroof (97, CDX in Met graphite grey if anyone cares)

i did the Omega electric roof mod (electric motor and controls) with one touch tilt and slide i also had the roof wind deflector

the cross is a bit on the heavy side, another 40kg of glass won't hurt it, if It's that much of a dealbreaker just jump the fence into the Lexus dealer

• Like 1

Hi

Just had my cross after 10 months on order 2023 with pan roof excel spec loving it 83 mpg at the moment 

• Like 2

The pan roof was the only option I went for, cheaper at the time than metallic paint.

It certainly brings lots of light into the cabin, making it feel more spacious, and the blinds work well when required but still allowing a bit of extra light.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Brexit is a lame excuse. They're still selling the cars (and Airbus have no problem shipping wings to Wales just so they can be bolted together).

Either Toyota UK are bending to Government pressure (making certain models less desirable), or the European side are just being asshats about it.

No Prius; no Corrola Cross. I'm actually betting the Yaris (not Cross) will disappear completely. It had all the options dropped, to include heated seats and steering wheel. It's the poor relation to the other models.

• Like 1

We won’t have a pan roof as we would be worried about people being able to see me and the mrs,s shenanigans in the back seat, imagine the embarrassment if someone saw us stuffing…….our faces with cakes and chocolate…wait…! what did you think I meant?

• Haha 5

7 hours ago, YarisHybrid2016 said:

Brexit is a lame excuse.

It's still the go to for blaming everything that's not functioning, not available etc..:bangin:

5 hours ago, Primus1 said:

We won’t have a pan roof as we would be worried about people being able to see me and the mrs,s shenanigans in the back seat, imagine the embarrassment if someone saw us stuffing…….our faces with cakes and chocolate…wait…! what did you think I meant?

My Mrs would love it as she can gaze at the stars and the moon....and I would be literally sending her to the moon in the back seat. 

5 hours ago, olonas said:

It's still the go to for blaming everything that's not functioning, not available etc..:bangin:

Yeah it's the easy reason, but that's because there's often at least a grain of truth there; People don't realize how much extra paperwork and red tape has been created just from us exiting the EU. Our government thought they were being smart by negotiating a mutual low/zero tariff deal but they totally forgot about the regulations and paperwork side which has made it far harder to transport stuff between here and the rest of Europe, which in turn has made it less attractive for stuff to be imported or exported between here to the EU, esp. from smaller businesses, as the extra costs and delays from all the extra paperwork end up killing any margin they have.

It doesn't help that our government are killing our ability to be self sufficient, esp. with farming. I can't believe they actually pay farmers not to grow stuff, and make it harder and less profitable for those that do!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links