Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New Lexus LBX (Posh Yaris)

anchorman

Very interesting Don, sounds good 👍

Nice. I really like Lexus' interiors quality and details. When I grow up I'll have one. Not this one, I like them longer but not this tall. 🤣

Toyota are still using Ni-MH cells in their hybrids? I thought they had changed to lithium cells. Well, at least the Ni-MH tech is well proven by them. Now I just need a big lottery win or a massive pay rise, lol.

Typo of Ni-MH i would think as the lithium is the more compact and powerful Battery. Toyota are using Lithium now. So this lexus is the cross size. The gen 5 Yaris gets 130hp, so they are tweaking this to get 134. It's like a cross with more luxury. 

Both the bullet points and the blurb in the article mention the Ni-MH.

Do Toyota definitely use lithium in other hybrids?

Are they using a mix of lithium and nickel depending on model and specification? :confused1:

The NiMH battery is an all-new bi-polar unit with reduced weight and a more compact design, yet it delivers higher output with much quicker response. Thus, it contributes to the LBX’s performance, with instant, powerful acceleration like that of battery electric vehicle, as well as its fuel efficiency. It benefits from a redesigned cooling system to help prolong battery life and performance. 

• Like 1

134 bhp - different engine (balance shaft) (M15A-FKS, Di engine) and gearbox (larger motor), NiMh are still in use

The Yaris and cross is 118 bhp combined (90 hp from the M15-FXE MPi)

• Thanks 1

Just watched this on what car, looks really nice, 

It’s ok, not my cup of tea. Yaris cross looks way better outside and inside imo, only that is made of those questionable materials and lack of some things here and there. Apart from that has the best and most rugged small suv appearance to date. , and also very unique, while this Lexus looks like mixture between seat and smart, basically if you hide the Badge easily can add it to the stelantis portfolio. Anyway, that’s just my first impressions. 

LBX what car review.

I like the sleek and smooth design, though also like the rugged design of the cross. The interior quality is nicer than the cross, that's to be expected with a premium price. 

Couple of things I dislike about it:

1: The infotainment screen is low - using sat nav an issue for me. 

2: The boot is small

This car is not for me due to the above reasons and price tag. The cross premiere edition with 130hp, when it comes out will be my choice. 

• Thanks 1

What I don’t get is, it’s supposedly 10kg lighter than the Yaris cross? How??? This will surely have plenty of damping and soundproofing, that alone should make it heavier,  not to mention the higher quality interior parts used.

They should have put the new Corolla 1.8 drivetrain with the 5th gen hybrid in this, not the YC 1.5.

Plush Yaris Cross.

If the AWD Version. with all the Options. is sub 40k I will be surprised.

Tel

Boot space for that is 240L, cannot see many takers 

If the smaller boot is to give better passenger legroom I'd be all for that - One of the things that annoys me about the Mk4 is they've sacrificed rear passenger space for bigger boot figures - I'd rather have a smaller boot with more rear passenger room personally; After all, you can drop the seats for more cargo capacity, but you can't cut your passengers legs off to make them fit in the rear seats better (Not legally anyway).

I always feel it's a real shame they didn't put the trick rear seats from the Mk2 in the Mk4!

Of course, as this is a disgusting SUV, I want nothing to do with it, so it's a bit moot :laugh: 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

It's marque snobbery or aspirational, oh look we have a Lexus, and SUV's are the must-have school run car, lots of Tesla Model 3's around here 90% surface wealth - Posh car on the drive, £800k+ house, bugger all in the fridge

• Like 6

1 hour ago, flash22 said:

It's marque snobbery or aspirational, oh look we have a Lexus, and SUV's are the must-have school run car, lots of Tesla Model 3's around here 90% surface wealth - Posh car on the drive, £800k+ house, bugger all in the fridge

Or, all fur coat and no knickers, as we say up here…

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

It seems all manufacturers has stopped to make practical cars but devices on wheels with no steering or square ones, no seats but benches, no boot but rear glove boxes and no glove boxes at all. How things went so wrong is beyond me. It will be interesting to see. Lexus forum 2 months after that model been delivered to first customers and tons of complaints, perhaps materials, design choices, hinges, anti corrosion marks in boot and all relevant for the type and size car. Then the road noise, uncomfortable seats, and so on. 😉

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

It seems all manufacturers has stopped to make practical cars but devices on wheels with no steering or square ones, no seats but benches, no boot but rear glove boxes and no glove boxes at all. How things went so wrong is beyond me. It will be interesting to see. Lexus forum 2 months after that model been delivered to first customers and tons of complaints, perhaps materials, design choices, hinges, anti corrosion marks in boot and all relevant for the type and size car. Then the road noise, uncomfortable seats, and so on. 😉

Or it could be full of very satisfied owners that love it.  

• Like 1

I’d have one in a heartbeat…

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Primus1 said:

I’d have one in a heartbeat…

Me too.   There’s a bit of envy involved in some comments I suspect.   

• Like 2

It's a really nice looking car and you get what you pay for, the interiors are of higher quality than the Toyota.  Both marques are well built, but the Lexus is more luxurious.

Would I pay up for it though if the 2024 Yaris X does the same thing?  Not sure.

I don't hate Lexus because they are expensive, as that way leads you straight down the rabbit hole.

Some people will hate me because I drive a 35k SUV, or my wife cos she has a brand new 23plate Yaris.  Where does it end?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's very much an each-to-their-own thing.

I think the people that complain about Toyota build quality would be more suited to things like that, if they can stomach the cost.

It doesn't appeal to me, but I have a well known loathing of anything SUV (Which, to be fair, is common with many who drive in tight congested cities regularly and don't understand why so many people keep buying giant hausfrauenpanzers to drive down narrow streets, take up multiple marking spaces, slow to a crawl for every speed cushion, turn, leaf etc.)

• Like 2

Absolutely. There is no envy at all here, just personally preference. I never actually liked Lexus cars with exception of the larger models, I do like larger cars in general. The smaller Lexus like ct200, this one now simply not to my like as design and practicality to begin with. Ux, Nx Es, RX these are ok for me, especially the es lol this is a proper car. And because we compare lbx vs yx I like the Yaris more. To me looks like the sharper, the better proportion car with greater practicality. And btw this lbx won’t be so much more expensive than Yaris cross. , it’s a small car. 

• Like 1

Dunno about newer Lexusisses (Lexi?) Or about newer cars in general.

But my old IS 200 , which was a 2001 SE, was a really well built car, and a joy to own and drive.

I didn't choose it out of any Badge snobbery, it just came up at the right time when my old grandad wagon pug (partner) started leaking oil and was being overtaken by deliveroo riders on push bikes.

About ten years old when I bought it for around £3000 .

No problems apart from the odd brake caliper sticking on.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links