Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New Lexus LBX (Posh Yaris)

anchorman

1 hour ago, anchorman said:

Anchorwoman’s thermostat is stuck closed and she’s always hot.  Those seats are like honey to a bee so very high on her priority list.  Before getting the Cross I semi convinced her cloth seats wouldn’t be an issue but my credibility is now gone and only ventilated seats will offset my treachery.   

You’re giving me ideas.  My wife won’t have heard about ventilated seats either, so I could use this as a bargaining chip to buy a more expensive car in a few years time.  Mind you, technology changes so quickly, I wonder if ventilated carpets will be available to keep your feet cool.

• Haha 3

I contacted a lexus  dealer today about the LBX, very friendly and helpful and he gave me some insights into the Lbx at the moment the starting price for the urban is indeed £29,995   but this will not be confirmed until Oct 2nd this is the basic with 17 inch wheels and no privacy glass other than that it is well specked  next up is the premier £2,400 more, very very top spec is a limited  one called the original in gold and black with suede  and leather hand sewn seats ambient lighting in 20 programmable colours and special wheels etc etc etc at £40k but it's already sold out!! Below  this are a couple of Takumi models at approx £ 36/38  k they have sold over 40 cars already at this dealers, they will get the first ones end of Oct which will be dealer demo cars and should be in showrooms by Dec, then cars for delivery will begin early March, all this is subject to confirmation but should become reality on 2nd October 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jimota said:

Mind you, technology changes so quickly, I wonder if ventilated carpets will be available to keep your feet cool.

That is old technology! I once, (many, many moons ago), had a Hillman Avenger that had ventilated carpets, well, okay, it was just in the drivers footwell. However, I normally covered the rust hole with a piece of wood. 😄

• Haha 8

On 9/10/2023 at 10:23 AM, anchorman said:

The last sentence of your post said you were ranting, now you say you’re not.  If you’d have said that you were disappointed with your RZ that would be one thing that bared rational but to say Lexus no longer make quality cars based on your experience of a new technology brand new model is puerile.  I would guess RZ sales are single digits worldwide so applying it to the brand is comical.  Yes I’ve got experience of Lexus cars through ownership and through a lifetime of being a qualified vehicle engineer of which 17 years was in development.  If you are attempting to justify your comment with one tech bulletin on another new model it tells me all I need to know.  You even appear to be comparing it with the same brand.   Sell your RZ and go and buy a German new model electric and see how soon you become familiar with the service department names.  I’m not a fanboy but I’m not an uninformed troll either.

Most of the issues with new cars are software and system related - all the problems with my car are, so previous reliability on cars without those complex systems isn’t really a testament to the new cars today. 
I have had 7 new Merc’s and a BMW and I never became familiar with their service departments. All those cars had no ‘bugs’ as you described, let alone anything as serious as the failure of a charging unit on an EV.

I bought a Lexus as I previously had one from new, before the Merc’s, and it was totally faultless.
I didn’t trash the brand, I was making the point on a new model that there were major problems in my experience - yes extremely rare in a Lexus in the past but not in my experience now. 
No doubt your 17 years experience was gained before very complex software and the latest systems were being used, so not really relevant to new models these days - or were you involved in the development of Infotainment systems / EV’s / Hybrids ?

53 minutes ago, wivenhoe said:

Most of the issues with new cars are software and system related - all the problems with my car are, so previous reliability on cars without those complex systems isn’t really a testament to the new cars today. 
I have had 7 new Merc’s and a BMW and I never became familiar with their service departments. All those cars had no ‘bugs’ as you described, let alone anything as serious as the failure of a charging unit on an EV.

I bought a Lexus as I previously had one from new, before the Merc’s, and it was totally faultless.
I didn’t trash the brand, I was making the point on a new model that there were major problems in my experience - yes extremely rare in a Lexus in the past but not in my experience now. 
No doubt your 17 years experience was gained before very complex software and the latest systems were being used, so not really relevant to new models these days - or were you involved in the development of Infotainment systems / EV’s / Hybrids ?

No, my specialty was brakes but I sat in a room full of development engineers for just about every brand.  You are right that media systems cause problems are quite capable of playing up, in fact I was only talking to another engineer involved with after sales on JLR products who said their systems are a veritable nightmare but that is the least of their problems.  Gorgeous vehicles but largely a disaster in many ways.  I won’t have an electric vehicle because range anxiety would get the better of me but if I did I’d have a Toyota/Lexus product (not sure I could justify a RZ but I think they are drop dead gorgeous) and that is because they won’t stop until it is right and that goes well beyond the warranty period.  Most other brands wash their hands of you the day the warranty stops.  I get you are frustrated with a brand new car but they’ll sort it.  They’ll probably give you your money back if you’ve had problems but don’t be under the illusion that other new electric cars will be trouble free at first.  Petrol engines have been developed for a hundred years, these electrics are new tech and you are part of the team.  

The Cross Revision in late 2024 will have some of the LBX up-grades so the LBX price will be nearer 40k for a good spec.

Tel

My Excel  Cross has ventilated front seats.

A cardboard/ plastic 2-way valve is attached to the underside of seat.

Mod extensively fitted in Lexus cars.

Tel

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Tel 2 said:

My Excel  Cross has ventilated front seats.

A cardboard/ plastic 2-way valve is attached to the underside of seat.

Mod extensively fitted in Lexus cars.

Tel

Eh?

I will have a look at the LBX when it is available.  But I would only consider a specification that is the equivalent of the YC Excel.

• Like 2

On 9/11/2023 at 8:33 PM, local hero said:

£40k

It's a good looking car, but I have my limits. Much more than that and I'll be buying an aircraft instead. 😳

• Haha 1

My Excel AWD,in scarlet flare with City Pack, was c.34K & the Pano roof with Black alloys would have cost c.35.5 K but those Options were suddenly deleted.

The Lexus UX equivalent was 50k 

I am convinced my LBX will be well over 40k but will it be that much better than my current Excel & the revised Excel coming soon ?

Tel

I'd suggest not. Lexus may be premium, but Toyota isn't shabby. The mechanical components are pretty much the same in terms of standard of build. It's the design and materials that set them apart, but I wouldn't say they are *that* much better that I'd be willing to pay another £10k+.

Just for fun, I looked at the French cars, and what the hell! I'd buy a Rav without thinking twice about it before I bought that overpriced junk. The Rav would be cheaper, too!

• Like 3

Well that's the thing - Some people would! Think about all those journos groping up the plastics and complaining they aren't soft enough, or that the stitching isn't a sufficiently outlandish colour, or the absence of wood veneer  :laugh: 

We've even had people here complaining about the quality of their Yaris - Like, come on, it's a Yaris!! :laugh: 

Given that it was built in the french factory, I'm just grateful they put the doors on the right way round :laugh: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

21 hours ago, YarisHybrid2016 said:

I'd suggest not. Lexus may be premium, but Toyota isn't shabby. The mechanical components are pretty much the same in terms of standard of build. It's the design and materials that set them apart, but I wouldn't say they are *that* much better that I'd be willing to pay another £10k+.

Just for fun, I looked at the French cars, and what the hell! I'd buy a Rav without thinking twice about it before I bought that overpriced junk. The Rav would be cheaper, too!

I can assure you the Lexus will cost the extra money to build.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, anchorman said:

I can assure you the Lexus will cost the extra money to build.  

Yes there is no doubt about that but that was the same for the Japanese Built Lexus CT 200h that shared platform with the Auris and Running gear from the Prius but Prices was not ridiculously more expensive than the related Toyota siblings at the time.

Hopefully the LBX will follow the same pricing delta

Definitely - All that extra leather, the soft plastics, sound deadening, employing people who actually make sure the panels line up properly etc. costs a lot of money!!

The important bits tend to be shared with Lexus and Toyota; The extra money for the Lexus goes to the refinement, the plushing-up. Although apparently not to whoever designs the front of them :laugh: 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Cyker said:

Definitely - All that extra leather, the soft plastics, sound deadening, employing people who actually make sure the panels line up properly etc. costs a lot of money!!

The important bits tend to be shared with Lexus and Toyota; The extra money for the Lexus goes to the refinement, the plushing-up. Although apparently not to whoever designs the front of them :laugh: 

That old 2001 lexus is 200 I had was a really lovely car.

The interior detail was of a very high quality, and well made.

Even the outside I thought, was so well designed, with that rear with the fog lamps in the boot lid, and the front so neat, it was a design icon in my opinion.

With a straight six engine, and rear wheel drive, I still see the odd one about now.

The one after, not so good, especially with that diesel engine, that are so cheap for good reason.

I only could afford lexus used, but would say good value for the quality.

• Like 1

They are the underrated bargains on the 2nd hand market - Usually cheaper than german equivalents, but easily up to the same levels of quality and a lot more reliable! :laugh: 

• Like 1

Aye, I read somewhere that the impellers in BMW water pumps were plastic, and disintegrated, among other things that make them unreliable and expensive to fix.

Toyota and lexus seem to be made to last.

I think that a 20 year life at least can be expected from Toyota/lexus, the older ones anyway.

Edited by Rhymes with Paris
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, Rhymes with Paris said:

Aye, I read somewhere that the impellers in BMW water pumps were plastic, and disintegrated, among other things that make them unreliable and expensive to fix.

Toyota and lexus seem to be made to last.

I think that a 20 year life at least can be expected from Toyota/lexus, the older ones anyway.

While Toyota been called to have a plastic interiors, the BMW’s and most other German top brands has plastics under the bonnet, and I mean it, a lot of plastics. Although Toyota cars also has plastics impeller on most modern engines water pumps too, they seems to work well and last much longer. 

• Like 1

Ah Tony, I had assumed metal impellers on Toyota with most of the engines lasting so long.

Thank you for information, useful to know.

1 hour ago, Rhymes with Paris said:

Ah Tony, I had assumed metal impellers on Toyota with most of the engines lasting so long.

Thank you for information, useful to know.

Toyota also switched to plastic parts in the engines, like water pump impellers, valve covers, thermostat housing, intake manifolds etc, but they still make the things simple and way more reliable. 
I am interested in other cars and particularly high end Germans and I can tell you that those cars are not only exhaust pollutants but also a service pollutants. They require a lots of parts been replaced as part of regular service, something that in Toyota cars will last lifetime of the car no matter how long it will be. Many people unaware of these things, but if you watch videos about service on these cars you will be amazed. , that’s why Germans are crying about evs, but their own evs are continuing the drama, they are full of electrical problems, sensors, auxiliary batteries, they have two 12v and a 6 v Battery, immobilisers, etc endless money pit all of them. 

• Like 1

Prices for the LBX are on the Lexus UK website.  However the full specification of each model is not yet available.  Seven grades are listed, priced £29,995 to £39995.

2 hours ago, Trewithy said:

Prices for the LBX are on the Lexus UK website.  However the full specification of each model is not yet available.  Seven grades are listed, priced £29,995 to £39995.

Wait until they publish spec's and option prices. Just checked the UX and the price to spec something agreeable (i.e. not poverty spec) is eye-watering.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Lawnmowerman said:

Wait until they publish spec's and option prices. Just checked the UX and the price to spec something agreeable (i.e. not poverty spec) is eye-watering.

Wow, 40k, I’d want a fair maiden to offer to massage my neck,back, and er, other things for that sort of money….

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links