Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Is the new 2.0 really more economical than the 1.8?

41hz

I know the official WLTP mpg is a slight better for the 2.0 (64.1 vs 62.7mpg for the Icon TS).

I’m wondering if that is a quirk of the WLTP testing that benefits the 2.0 more and in real world driving the 1.8 might be more economical? Anyone have any views on that? The dealer I spoke to seemed to think the 1.8 would be more economical.

• Like 3

The new dynamic force engines are very efficient, I think the combination of further improvements to the 2.0, and squeezing the (older tech) 1.8 for more power has altered the balance

• Like 2

The engine in the 2.0 has a higher maximum efficiency than the 1.8, so theoretically it could be more efficient.

The problem is you'd have to drive it that economically, and that's really hard to do because the car has so much grunt :naughty: :laugh: 

• Like 4

I believe it’s a non true statement.
In real life the 1.8 will be the more efficient variant. In Ireland the 2.0 it’s not even available anymore on standard Corolla. 
The 2.0 engine has thermal efficiency of 41% where the 1.8 of 39% , not really a huge leap. Then we have the 2.0 variants extra weight and extra unsprung mass. 40-80kg total extra weight and the larger and heavier front brake discs 298mm vs 282mm on 1.8 will make it less agile. 
You see everyone who had tried a Yaris and is coming from a Corolla especially the 2.0 versions they noticed how quick and how light is the Yaris and how much more engages the ev drive and obviously it is more efficient. 
The key is the total light weight, light weight wheels and regular size tyres, less unsprung mass. 
Now if you research adverts for used Corolla you will notice that barely any of the 2.0 shows averages consumption pass 50mpg or max 55mpg where the 1.8 oftern exceeds 60-64mpg. These are inaccurate results but just an examples, same you can notice from the reviews. 
The 2.0 has larger e motor, larger Battery, larger brake discs and drive shafts and often the larger wheels, all that reduces overall efficiency. 
If you drive exclusively on motorways and at higher speeds with car fully loaded the 2.0 will definitely  has better performance and may reach or exceed the 1.8 mpg. In any other cases the 1.8 will be the more efficient variant from the two. 👍

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

In my 2015 1.8 auris I would leave it in normal mode and was getting around 55mpg 

Now in my 2020 2.0 Corolla I use eco mode as it is plenty responsive enough for me and I prob get around 60mpg.

obviously those cars are older than the ones you are referring to. 

• Like 5

I doubt that we will ever get a definitive answer to this question.

The economy figures for the two engines are very similar to start off with and, as always, highly subject to driving style and conditions.

Even if you managed to get a group of drivers to use otherwise identical cars, but with the different engines - allowing them all a go at both, for the same journeys there would be random variations.

Given the purchase price and insurance group differences I do not think that the 2.0 engine is ever going to save you money. People will buy them because they prefer the way they drive (or just want the fastest version...), the fuel economy is just icing on the cake.

(just my 2p worth - I'm changing to a Corolla to spoil myself, the extra mpg over my current car is going to cost me....)

• Like 6

Having driven dozens of 1.8 and several 2.0 model Corolla, I can assure you the MPG is worse on the 2.0, in my case by around 5 MPG

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Parts-King said:

Having driven dozens of 1.8 and several 2.0 model Corolla, I can assure you the MPG is worse on the 2.0, in my case by around 5 MPG

Is that for the new 2023 2.0? I know the previous one was less economical.

• Like 2

I picked up my 2.0 Excel roughly 1 month ago … driven just over 3k miles …. A very good mix of motorway and city driving , I would say 35 - 75 % …. 62.2 mpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, DC_Ms said:

I picked up my 2.0 Excel roughly 1 month ago … driven just over 3k miles …. A very good mix of motorway and city driving , I would say 35 - 75 % …. 62.2 mpg

35-75 - 110% in total....?🤔

Good average though. 😀

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Don Mac said:

35-75 - 110% in total....?🤔

Good average though. 😀

🤦🏻‍♂️😂😂😂 Toyota magic 🤷‍♂️ sorry , long day 

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

INow if you research adverts for used Corolla you will notice that barely any of the 2.0 shows averages consumption pass 50mpg or max 55mpg where the 1.8 oftern exceeds 60-64mpg. These are inaccurate results but just an examples, same you can notice from the reviews. 

Gotcha Tony!  My 2022 (so clearly pre 2023 spec) 2.0 TS Design now shows an average mpg of 56.5.  I have not reset the fuel computer in its life of just less than 1 year.  Admittedly the average was down to low 50's over Winter, but has risen since.

I use E10 (usually from Costco), enjoy the 2.0 acceleration and make progress, but admittedly do a lot of "lift and coast".

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Talking Houbik said:

Gotcha Tony!  My 2022 (so clearly pre 2023 spec) 2.0 TS Design now shows an average mpg of 56.5.  I have not reset the fuel computer in its life of just less than 1 year.  Admittedly the average was down to low 50's over Winter, but has risen since.

I use E10 (usually from Costco), enjoy the 2.0 acceleration and make progress, but admittedly do a lot of "lift and coast".

My 2020 does pretty much the same as this. 

• Like 4

2.0 is 100% the more thirsty of the two. At the moment, it's summer and therfore it's able to yield good results - I'm getting high 60s on a lot of runs. Won't get anywhere near that once the weather turns. My personal, unsubstantiated, belief is that most the mpg deficit comes from the decision to use Nimh Battery technology in the 2.0 model rather than the lithium batteries fitted in the 1.8s. Lithium batteries can both absorb and yield energy at a faster rate, so they're theoretically better for hybrid efficiency (if not for the planet, but that's another argument.)

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Red_Corolla said:

2.0 is 100% the more thirsty of the two. At the moment, it's summer and therfore it's able to yield good results - I'm getting high 60s on a lot of runs. Won't get anywhere near that once the weather turns. My personal, unsubstantiated, belief is that most the mpg deficit comes from the decision to use Nimh battery technology in the 2.0 model rather than the lithium batteries fitted in the 1.8s. Lithium batteries can both absorb and yield energy at a faster rate, so they're theoretically better for hybrid efficiency (if not for the planet, but that's another argument.)

I think you are referring to the older gen4 engine which was officially lower mpg than the 1.8. I was interested in the latest 2023 gen5 2.0 engine which uses a new Lithium Ion Battery. Toyota’s official mpg is slightly better than the 1.8

• Like 4

2 hours ago, 41hz said:

I think you are referring to the older gen4 engine which was officially lower mpg than the 1.8. I was interested in the latest 2023 gen5 2.0 engine which uses a new Lithium Ion battery. Toyota’s official mpg is slightly better than the 1.8

But in real life it is not. 1.8 is the more efficient option between both. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

But in real life it is not. 1.8 is the more efficient option between both. 

I do think this really needs testing with the new gen, all of the above is based on the gen4. Gen 5 appears to take the game on forward. 

1 minute ago, Gray86 said:

I do think this really needs testing with the new gen, all of the above is based on the gen4. Gen 5 appears to take the game on forward. 

Well, we have seen it on some videos and Kingo also shared his experience from first hand and all that for the latest 2023 gen5.
The bigger engine can be slightly more efficient if you try hard and in certain conditions only, but overall the 1.8 will deliver better average mpg  imo. 
This is also the case with Lexus UX, almost impossible to get it over 50-54mpg average real world. That car also comes with run flat tyres that makes it even worse. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, 41hz said:

I think you are referring to the older gen4 engine which was officially lower mpg than the 1.8. I was interested in the latest 2023 gen5 2.0 engine which uses a new Lithium Ion battery. Toyota’s official mpg is slightly better than the 1.8

Sorry, hadn't realised they upgraded the 2.0 model to a Lithium Battery. Pardon my ignorance.

On 7/28/2023 at 2:15 PM, 41hz said:

Is that for the new 2023 2.0? I know the previous one was less economical.

Last 2.0 I had was 2022, currently in a 1.8 CHR GR 2023

The 2.0 L has dual injection that can gets broader sweet spot rpm per power.  It is not just the peak effeciency but the broad band of power on 2.0L that make it more efficient in most driving condition than 1.8L.   In Prius 2023 HPEV, it uses Camry transmission (almost) and can get better torque and power on the electric alone.  The fact that regular hybrid Prius 2.0L has higher MPG than Prius 4 is from what it is.  Prius 4 has better drag coefficient but the combination of the powertrain in 2.0L, newer MG2 and Li Battery helps newer Prius gets better MPG. 

Corolla 1.8L is technically similar to Prius 4, and the facelift 2023 makes the 2.0L slightly more effecient than the 1.8L from many factors at once. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/2/2023 at 10:15 PM, AisinW said:

The 2.0 L has dual injection that can gets broader sweet spot rpm per power.  It is not just the peak effeciency but the broad band of power on 2.0L that make it more efficient in most driving condition than 1.8L.   In Prius 2023 HPEV, it uses Camry transmission (almost) and can get better torque and power on the electric alone.  The fact that regular hybrid Prius 2.0L has higher MPG than Prius 4 is from what it is.  Prius 4 has better drag coefficient but the combination of the powertrain in 2.0L, newer MG2 and Li battery helps newer Prius gets better MPG. 

Corolla 1.8L is technically similar to Prius 4, and the facelift 2023 makes the 2.0L slightly more effecient than the 1.8L from many factors at once. 

The 2.0 hybrids gen4 or gen5 aren’t more efficient than the 1.8 variants in real world scenarios.
 People are getting confused by misinformation published by dealers and traders, journalists etc. ,perhaps these are made to push the sales of 2.0 which is £2k more on average. Here real world experience shared by owners. 

The smaller the petrol engine and the overall size of the car the more efficient is , this is the golden rule within Toyota hybrids and not only. 
lighter weight, more electric drive.
Been watching Toyota and Lexus hybrids behaviour for many years now and I am positive what I am saying.
The bigger cars with bigger engines like 2.0 in Corolla, Lexus ux, the Camry and rav4 these cars are barely driven in ev when going slowly, do manoeuvres, and they switch to petrol much quicker than 1.8 or 1.5 hybrids when starting from standstill. They have less ev glide because they are heavier and can barely reach over 50mpg real world. Where the 1.8 if driven carefully will exceed 60mpg.  The 5-10mpg in favour to 1.8 applies.
The 2.0 will be faster and more relaxed when loaded and driven on motorways. 

• Like 4

I'm finding my 2022 1.8 averages a tad over 60mpg for each tank. However the other day, on a 60 mile run on the M5 in slow stop start traffic (I filled up about a mile before joining) I averaged 72mpg for the whole 66 mile trip.

I decided to go for a 1.8 for several reasons, lower purchase price, lower insurance, lower fuel consumption, lower TCO generally. Performance is adequate though I agree that it is a bit noisy under load but in general I'm very happy with it . Certainly if I'm ever in the position to buy a 2023 model I would be happy with a 1.8 again.

• Like 5

Ok I have gen 3 prius 1.8 and 2.0 corolla ts... I nearly always get 5mpg worse on 2.0 corolla but only because it so much more engaging to drive... If I really try hard and pootle about in both cars 2.0 corolla is more efficient by about 5mpg. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links