Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Is the new 2.0 really more economical than the 1.8?

41hz

Since new, my 2.0TS has averaged 59.00 mpg

IMG_3424.jpeg

• Like 4

• 4 months later...

From my experience, the 2.0L TS (17'' rims) can go from very efficient, to moderate, depending on the driving. And not even pushing it. If you leave it to it's devices, you will get good mileage, but nothing outstanding. However, if you drive in a way to optimize EV usage, even up and beyond 50 mph, you can gain 10 mpg on regular roads. So, 45-60 mpg (us).

I've done it, and I was quite surprised, even on 'hilly' roads, but it requires so much attention, it's barely worth it, and could even be considered dangerous.

In city, it's even more sensitive. If you drive regularly with a lot of abrupt start and stop, with no regard to maximizing EV, you can lose easily 10-15 mpg.

As for the 1.8L, I have no frame of reference, but I wouldn't be surprised it's got better mileage at lower speed, and slightly worse at motorway speeds, or when loaded up.

All in all, I should have taken the TS 1.8L 140 bhp. To me, it's the best compromise. I don't really need the grunt of the 2.0L, although it is undeniably nice for overtaking or merging into fast traffic.

Great car, just a lot of work to stay in the hyper-miling game. A Civic E:Hev imo would make things a lot easier for roughly the same result.

• Like 2

Personally I think yes it can be more economical, But in reality it's down by a couple of mpg, now I know a few drivers who now have the 23 plate 1.8  TS models and there figures arnt stellar like the earlier version was, figures I'm hearing are 54 winter and 62 summer which is down on my 2.0 by 2-3 mpg  but I know I'm down by about 4-5 mpg on earlier vertions so that extra horse power the new car has gained has definitely affected fuel consumption.. You get nothing for nothing 😁😁😁

PXL_20240314_152631846.jpg

I bought a new 2ltr GR Sport Hatch in October 23. I drive in sport mode most of the time and really like the way it drives.

The car easily achieves 50mpg and will achieve 60mpg if I take it easy. It now has 5000 miles on the clock and I have used Shell V power from new.

The performance is impressive and I'm more than pleased with the mpg.

• Like 1

A good comparison for fuel economy. Very well explained too. It seems both cars are capable of very good MPG, the 2L however makes you push it more often. That's why people go for the 2L vs the 1.8. 

https://youtu.be/F04MXepYiBs?si=c2lbqap44G-W7kWJ

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Niky said:

A good comparison for fuel economy. Very well explained too. It seems both cars are capable of very good MPG, the 2L however makes you push it more often. That's why people go for the 2L vs the 1.8. 

https://youtu.be/F04MXepYiBs?si=c2lbqap44G-W7kWJ

Absolutely true and probably the best ever auto journalists words

-“ Don’t change what you drive, change how you drive it “ . 
And btw Toyota hybrids has the worst of all cars efficiency when driven to the limit and under constant heavy load aka high speeds, it’s just not there environment. I did a few laps on silver stone circuit with my Auris and it was not pleasant at all, it’s just noise and no performance, simply not a car for that purpose.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links