Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Drilled tailgate!

YarisHybrid2016

No wonder the number plate looked odd! 🤬🤬🤬

IMG_3188.jpeg

IMG_3189.jpeg

• Confused 2
  • Sad 4

Who fitted the plates?

Not Clyde the orangutan was it?

• Haha 5
  • Sad 1

Could have been worse, number of plates I've seen where the fitter has a stigmatism and the plate slopes; although the double hole on the right seems to show he tried to correct it. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Rhymes with Paris said:

Who fitted the plates?

Not Clyde the orangutan was it?

It happened at PDI. Dealer made aware this afternoon. Seems they're going to order a new tailgate!! I just hope they don't 🤬🤬🤬 up more by replacing it, but I can't see how they can repair this and prevent it corroding.

🤬🤬🤬 🤬🤬🤬!

• Like 1
  • Sad 6

1 hour ago, jthspace said:

Could have been worse, number of plates I've seen where the fitter has a stigmatism and the plate slopes; although the double hole on the right seems to show he tried to correct it. 

These slope, too! Seems I got the idiot the day my car was prepared. Others look fine.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, YarisHybrid2016 said:

WTF!!

No wonder the number plate looked odd! 🤬🤬🤬

IMG_3188.jpeg

IMG_3189.jpeg

Ouch !!!

Although the number plates on both of our cars were fitted correctly, I noticed they caused a rattle. This was on both the Yaris and C-HR. I have removed them and added some double sided tape to the back, before !Removed! them back on. I had no additional holes in either tailgate.

• Like 5

I think your PDI was done by stevie wonder…😁

• Haha 1

From that level of workmanship I think that's an insult to stevie wonder! :laugh: 

But seriously, how could someone frak it up that badly? There are already holes there for smeg sake!!! :eek: 

Whoever's responsible for that needs some serious re-training, and monitoring! This is the sort of thing I'd expect from a french marque, not Toyota!!

I'm pretty sure the reception woman at my dealer could have done a better job than that!!

I'm glad they've fessed up and not tried to fob you off with a half-ubiked repair. While it irks my sense of waste, at least they're replacing the whole boot on their own dime - I am more forgiving of mistakes if they are rectified without you having to force them to.

I just hope they don't use the same guy to put it on or you might find you have two boots when he replaces the bonnet by mistake :laugh: 

You should sell this to the Spec Savers advertising department, because if ever there was a should-have-gone-to-specsavers moment that was one :laugh: 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

It must be a apprentace without supervision who cannot use even the basic tools and is also cross-eye.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Or his pet cat... I mean come on, they not only missed the correct holes and drilled through the metal, they did it *twice*!! :wacko:

• Like 5

Every dealership has a pair of chuckle brothers, this is were the apprentices learn their trade.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, wildtapholer said:

Every dealership has a pair of chuckle brothers, this is were the apprentices learn their trade.

Everyone needs to start somewhere, but this is below the requirements for entry!

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Cyker said:

Or his pet cat... I mean come on, they not only missed the correct holes and drilled through the metal, they did it *twice*!! :wacko:

Should’ve put some hair round it…they wouldn’t miss it then 🤭

• Haha 6

The problem is now that a new tailgate is only as good as the paintwork and the person that fits it.  I’ve seen ballsups like that before on a new car and most of them would go unnoticed which is annoying too.  That’s the problem in getting cheap semi skilled people to do the mundane jobs.  You pay peanuts, you get monkeys.  Inspect your new hatch very carefully.  It should be rust treated on the inside and the paint should not just match in colour but finish.  To be honest I’d keep that one but treat those holes with paint or rust preventative.  You want your first three services free.  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

I agree with Don on this one, keep the original tailgate, the new tailgate may not be a perfect paint match or fit, negotiate some goodwill from the dealer 

• Like 4

I notice you are in Derbyshire. I wonder if that 200lb Gorilla relocated from my ex dealers?

I would tend to agree with not having the tailgate replaced, I realise you know it's been a bodged job, but maybe have them carry out some corrosion prevention AND put something in writing to the effect that any corrosion appearing from there will guarantee a new tailgate. In addition to some goodwill gesture. A couple of free services, no thanks if that is the standard of your employees workmanship.

That is absolutely digraceful though. A simple task of drilling a numberplate to match the existing fixing holes gone totally cowboy.

I agree that a replacement tailgate would not be the best course of action to remedy this shoddy piece workmanship.  With proper rustproofing, filling and paint application an acceptable repair should be achievable However, the sheer lack of professionalism and total disregard of quality control is astounding.  The dealership needs to offer some form of goodwill gesture as well.

• Like 4

i doubt it will get a tailgate, weld the holes up, flat it off. Filler and paint

• Like 2

We planned an EU trip.  I demanded my new car had UK plates.  First suggestion was I bought a set at Halfords and they would fit.  Seemed  they could only get them in sets of 100.

Pointed out they had at least 5 dealerships on the county.  They agreed to get UK plates but after I had taken delivery.

Next they asked if I wanted them drilled.  No way was I going to risk misdrilling.

Did I want them fitting **deleted**

• Like 3

It's a brand new car, I'd want a new tailgate.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Yugguy1970 said:

Given that even a second rate repair will be hidden behind the plate I wouldn't risk letting the garage swap the tailgate unless essential. There's so much they can get wrong doing that you could end up going back again and again. (I can almost guarantee there will be a persistent rattle.)

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, MikeSh said:

Given that even a second rate repair will be hidden behind the plate I wouldn't risk letting the garage swap the tailgate unless essential.

+1 to that. Plugging and treating those holes in a way that will not rust should be easy even at a diy level. Its a few minutes work.

• Like 3

The problem with repairing it is how will that affect the warranty, if 6-8 years later part of the boot disintegrates because rust has snuck its way under the paint unseen?

If they find the cause is those holes you can bet your donkey they would declare that it was caused by external factors and not a factory defect so the warranty would be void.

If you get it repaired I figure you'd have to somehow get Toyota UK to give you assurances in writing that the warranty would be honoured in the face of those erroneous holes causing corrosion, and I can't see them doing that - Writing from the dealer wouldn't be any use, as the franchise might not even exist in the future, and another franchise likely wouldn't want to get involved or honour it if they didn't have to.

As Frosty likes to point out, Toyota is not one monolithic company, but lots of separate companies using the name, and the obligations of one don't necessarily cascade to the others.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Yugguy1970 said:

It'll be well and truly second hand when they’ve fitted a tailgate Guy.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links