Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Drilled tailgate!

YarisHybrid2016

10 minutes ago, YarisHybrid2016 said:

The car is going to be repaired through an approved body shop, and I have been assured there will be no impact to the paint/body warranty.

Excellent result.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tommy X said:

Surely there is a template for drilling the numberplate, the lads that prep and valet the car may have fitted the plate and kept their heads down🤐  

I would suggest it's not exactly rocket science to do a bit of measuring. Make sure the predrilled fixings are symmetrical and equidistant from each end and top/bottom of the plate recess. Find and mark the centre of the plate and measure the distance between the fixing holes. Halve it and mark that half measurement from the centre of the plate horizontally and vertically. Or something like that. Drill the plate. Then buy another plate because you measured wrong. Use the correct colour screw caps, black or yellow, depending on where the holes are.

We uses templates, that is just muppetry 

When you do hundreds of cars it makes sense to have a template to use

• Like 7

Repair at an approved repair centre, is that to repair or replace the rear tailgate. The reason I ask as most panels if not all on a Toyota have a chassis sticker on the panels, what only Toyota can supply and fit, that way you can identify any panels that have been changed other than at a Toyota dealer, approved repair centres don't have the stickers. I had a repair done at my insurers approved centre, there were no chassis stickers on any of the replaced panels and the entire repair had to be redone at a Toyota dealership, did I mention Stonea$%£.

• Like 1

On 9/7/2023 at 9:07 PM, MikeSh said:

Why are people so uptight about their cars anyway? It's going to spend its life being blasted with grit, stones and other people's doors in car parks, so being damaged is pretty much the default state.

Seems perfectly reasonable - Would you really be happy paying a 5-figure sum for a car with known defects in the body panels?

People have rejected brand new cars because of a minor panel misalignment; This is a far stronger reason!

8 hours ago, YarisHybrid2016 said:

All I can say is: huge thanks to Toyota GB, and to my dealer. Not quite what I was expecting (Toyota GB did a look-up of my car through my e-mail address), but outstanding customer service.

The car is going to be repaired through an approved body shop, and I have been assured there will be no impact to the paint/body warranty. 😎

Great result! This is more like the level of customer service we'd expect - No quibbling, just make it right.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Cyker said:

People have rejected brand new cars because of a minor panel misalignment; This is a far stronger reason!

Well, I have to disagree. What the eye don't see, the heart don't grieve.

It has been identified as needing treatment, which is right, but changing the whole tailgate and thus presenting many opportunities for further *****-ups just seemed insane to me. The result achieved is absolutely fine I think - even if the repair isn't cosmetically perfect it really doesn't matter.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, I think this is reasonable and apt solution, especially since they now have a recorded official guarantee it won't affect the warranty, which was my main concern if the dealer just bodged a repair!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, wildtapholer said:

Repair at an approved repair centre, is that to repair or replace the rear tailgate.

Repair.

19 hours ago, Parts-King said:

that is just muppetry 

Using a bit of common sense and a measuring device is "muppetry"? I would say the muppets are those who have to rely on a template.

Are the fixing holes all positioned the same for every model and variation front and rear? No doubt that original butchery was because some muppet either didn't know there were templates, the relevant template was missing,  or couldn't be bothered.

Edit: Nevermind, apparently I read your post wrong :laugh: 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, olonas said:

Using a bit of common sense and a measuring device is "muppetry"? I would say the muppets are those who have to rely on a template.

Are the fixing holes all positioned the same for every model and variation front and rear? No doubt that original butchery was because some muppet either didn't know there were templates, the relevant template was missing,  or couldn't be bothered.

"Most" Toyota have the same spacing for the number plate. Why would you measure and drill every plate individually when you are doing hundreds of plates a year? Time is money, a template is a money saving device. Templates for doing repetitive work is a standard in most forms of work, have you ever had to do the same job over and over and think, there must be a better way of me measuring and drilling the same job dozens of times a day?

The drilling of this OP's car has nothing to do with the judicious use of a template, it's to do with a muppet drilling a tailgate when he had no need to

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, olonas said:

Using a bit of common sense and a measuring device is "muppetry"?

It is when left to the level of muppet that dealers probably give this kind of job to.

There are an awful lot of people in the UK with minimal to non-existent maths, and indeed language, skills, so that task would be challenging for quite a few people.

As P-K says, a template is the obvious tool where holes need to align.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Parts-King said:

Templates for doing repetitive work is a standard in most forms of work, have you ever had to do the same job over and over and think, there must be a better way of me measuring and drilling the same job dozens of times a day?

Of course that is the logical thing to do. However, measuring etc. to drill a couple of holes in a registration plate isn't muppetry.

With regards to repetitive work, I was fortunately not in the muppet class because a quicker and easier way of doing something had already been thought of by a non muppet, including me.

More or less calling someone a muppet for suggesting measuring and drilling possibly verges on being offensive.

23 hours ago, olonas said:

Of course that is the logical thing to do. However, measuring etc. to drill a couple of holes in a registration plate isn't muppetry.

With regards to repetitive work, I was fortunately not in the muppet class because a quicker and easier way of doing something had already been thought of by a non muppet, including me.

More or less calling someone a muppet for suggesting measuring and drilling possibly verges on being offensive.

Lefty woke snowflake alert.  Putting a number plate onto a vehicle that is pre drilled exactly for that purpose isn’t difficult for anybody with a modest level of common sense so let’s not make it something it isn’t in the name of equal rights.  Whoever did that to a new car wouldn’t get idolised in my garage, he’d get his or her their P45.  

• Like 5

57 minutes ago, anchorman said:

Lefty woke snowflake alert.  Putting a number plate onto a vehicle that is pre drilled exactly for that purpose isn’t difficult for anybody with a modest level of common sense so let’s not make it something it isn’t in the name of equal rights.  Whoever did that to a new car wouldn’t get idolised in my garage, he’d get his or her their P45.  

Yep, you pay peanuts you get monkeys 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links