Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2014 Hybrid Estate CHeck Hybrid System Warning

mushrooom

1 hour ago, mushrooom said:

I've got a bottle of cataclean ready to go in when I've got 15 litres left. No idea if it's the original cat and sensor , I bought it 18 months ago with 242,000 on the clock

Ok, well waiter that high miles cats and sensors may go wrong. Try the additives and see what happens and let us know. 
If you look under cat and take pictures from cat and exhaust we can tell if it’s origins or aftermarket. 

@mushrooom P0420 is always catalytic converter below the threshold efficiency. Or simply dead or not enough active catalyst.  

We love to believe that something else is broken instead. Many wasted ££ for replacing unnecessary O2 sensors, MAF, etc but the cat still dead in the water. 

Aftermarket Cat contains fraction of  OEM  precious metals, and last only the next MOT or couple years, just after warranty is over.

It is worth to do endoscopy on the cylinder wall and valves. Just make sure it is not worn cylinder wall or head gasket leak.  

18 minutes ago, AisinW said:

@mushrooom P0420 is always catalytic converter below the threshold efficiency. Or simply dead or not enough active catalyst.  

We love to believe that something else is broken instead. Many wasted ££ for replacing unnecessary O2 sensors, MAF, etc but the cat still dead in the water. 

Aftermarket Cat contains fraction of  OEM  precious metals, and last only the next MOT or couple years, just after warranty is over.

It is worth to do endoscopy on the cylinder wall and valves. Just make sure it is not worn cylinder wall or head gasket leak.  

It's weird because the light is on and off, it's not constant

P0420 can be reset and come back every 2 weeks of a few hundreed miles. That's why we need OBD2 scanner when buying a used car. Pending code is often hidden. 

1 minute ago, AisinW said:

P0420 can be reset and come back every 2 weeks of a few hundreed miles. That's why we need OBD2 scanner when buying a used car. Pending code is often hidden. 

I'm not resetting it, sometimes it comes on when driving it and then next time you start it, the light's off

It may be a pending code that comes and goes. I think MOT emission test will tell you how much the actual emission from the car. P0420 is catalytic converter code. Lamda sensor code has different number. 

Check for exhaust leak (usually loud). Does the car consume a lot of oil, L/1000 miles?  You also can check how black the exhaust tip is. 

That's amazing for such mileage. I am not sure if P0420 cause hybrid system check also On. 

If it is flashing, i would check the catalytic converter first. Rais the car up, after you have 15 mins or more trip, check the temperature on before, after, and at the catalytic converter.  The engine must stay On.  The temperature should be much higher after the catalytic converter. 

OBD2 scanner Veapeak, Carista, etc. We can read the Lambda sensor using ing Torque Pro and Prius 3 PID.  The 1st Lambda sensor should up and down, yhe 2nd one should be completely flat and lower voltage reading.

3 minutes ago, AisinW said:

That's amazing for such mileage. I am not sure if P0420 cause hybrid system check also On. 

If it is flashing, i would check the catalytic converter first. Rais the car up, after you have 15 mins or more trip, check the temperature on before, after, and at the catalytic converter.  The engine must stay On.  The temperature should be much higher after the catalytic converter. 

OBD2 scanner Veapeak, Carista, etc. We can read the Lambda sensor using ing Torque Pro and Prius 3 PID.  The 1st Lambda sensor should up and down, yhe 2nd one should be completely flat and lower voltage reading.

Thanks, engine light doesn't flash it's just on but sometimes you can start the car and it's off and comes on when you're on the motorway. The check hybrid warning lights come on and stay on usually every 1000 miles or sometimes longer  

It seems like failing catalytic converter. Just at the limit before it is constantly below minimun effeciency, P0420 will be permanent. 

Start shop around for original OEM catalytic converter. My Prius 2, catalytic converter failed at 190k miles. The car consume oil 0.5L per 5k miles. 

OK got the check hybrid system warning again today. On the Dr Prius app it said HV Battery ECU Error code P0A80  

I think I've got to buy the bullet and get another hybrid Battery. Anyone recommend a place in the south east that can do it ? 

There's loads on eBay but I'm guessing it's a minefield.

Was quoted £1490 fitted with a three year warranty  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/295177901556

Screenshot_20231205-103311.png

Screenshot_20231205-103344.png

4 hours ago, mushrooom said:

OK got the check hybrid system warning again today. On the Dr Prius app it said HV Battery ECU Error code P0A80  

I think I've got to buy the bullet and get another hybrid battery. Anyone recommend a place in the south east that can do it ? 

There's loads on ebay but I'm guessing it's a minefield.

Was quoted £1490 fitted with a three year warranty  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/295177901556

Screenshot_20231205-103311.png

Screenshot_20231205-103344.png

Sorry to hear that. High mileage cars can’t lasts forever. I am likely not too far from the same dilemma as I can feel and see the car is acting strangely, chargers and discharges more often, started to see very low Battery charge on dashboard, something never seen before. These are typical signs of aged battery.  Been discussing recently in other posts about batteries and the price of new one fitted by Toyota might not be way too expensive, perhaps around £2k all in. I think you better ask Toyota dealer first for a quote beforehand proceed with independent traders. I personally will go Toyota new oem all in or diy myself, get a Battery from a scrap car at lower miles , newer year. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, mushrooom said:

Thinking of going with these guys £1350 with three year warranty or 100,000 miles  https://easthybrid.com/

Google reviews look good 

Those are digging boneyards for food.  All batteries are aging and are not reversible.  It is not wise to use any used, old, degraded Battery unless we just want to resell it.  New Battery is about £2000 and really good,, and known to last very long.   3y may be the warranty but it is not at the level of power and EV range for proper new Battery

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AisinW said:

Those are digging boneyards for food.  All batteries are aging and are not reversible.  It is not wise to use any used, old, degraded battery unless we just want to resell it.  New battery is about £2000 and really good,, and known to last very long.   3y may be the warranty but it is not at the level of power and EV range for proper new battery. 

It's new batteries, it's not secondhand ones. I found their ad on eBay, they've got 5 star google reviews 

"

Toyota Auris Brand New Hybrid Battery Supply and Fit.

Special Mega Offer

we will take your old hybrid Battery unit as a surcharge

all brand new batteries comes with

3 years and 100 thousand miles waranty cover"

Reconditioned traction batteries are very risky and might work for a while or be nothing but trouble, might be ok if you're going to sell the car quickly 

• Like 1

In the title on the website as well as the services they offer unless I'm missing something, I've only had a quick look, though I think the only source for new is via dealer OEM. I think there's Chinese copies too brand new but I'd never risk that 

• Like 1

Anyone except Toyota official dealers offers reconditioned batteries for Toyota hybrids. If they claim that they use brand new one than you may ask to see the Battery comes out of the box as new part delivered by Toyota dealer or official warehouse to proof it’s all new and original Battery. They also need to swap Battery ecu and cooling fan as these does not come together with new batteries. 👍 

Btw, you could do with confirming that the fault is due to the Battery faulty, just a Battery related code in Prius doctor app doesn't necessarily mean that. Are voltage sensors, connectors etc good? You'd need to get in there a bit deeper before shelling out big bucks or take it to someone trusted who will 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mushrooom said:

It's new batteries, it's not secondhand ones. I found their ad on ebay, they've got 5 star google reviews 

"

Toyota Auris Brand New Hybrid battery Supply and Fit.

Special Mega Offer

we will take your old hybrid battery unit as a surcharge

all brand new batteries comes with

3 years and 100 thousand miles waranty cover"

It is impossible to get new Panasonic Battery that price range. Recondition = remove brush it off, clean it. Put them back, recharge it in parallel mode to balance the Battery. Slap them back in.   I can guaranteed you it is just salvage yards stuffs.  

• Like 1

Well I'll see how it goes and let you know, they've got good reviews and the photos on their eBay ad show new batteries in boxes 

16 minutes ago, mushrooom said:

Well I'll see how it goes and let you know, they've got good reviews and the photos on their ebay ad show new batteries in boxes 

I have been through similar "Reconditioned" Scam words before.  The batteries are not new at all. It will work and prevent checking engine lights. It will last a couple months or years, but the performance is not even close to the old Battery before it starts having check engine lights.  I sold the car after I put in that reconditioned Battery in 2017.  It's not so much fun to share bad experiences.  I bought that damn reconditioned Battery with 3 years warranty too. But I sold it after 2 months using it. It is just a comfort to the new owner.

The seller definitely will take your old battery and will take some almost die cells to be sold as reconditioned to other guys.

UK Toyota dealership battery replacement on 3rd gen Prius or Auris is very affordable and makes much more sense.  I just do not want any of us waste their money from lack of experience and knowledge of price and Physics/Chemistry. 

https://www.torquenews.com/8113/2-reasons-i-do-not-trust-junkyard-toyota-prius-hv-battery

The car's done just on 300,000 miles ,we do about 3000 miles a month so if it lasts another couple of years I'll be happy. 

• Like 2

I wonder if you can get uprated batteries in this country, like the one ChrisFix fitted to his Prius?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links