Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

12v battery maintenance, issues, etc.

scar

47 minutes ago, dannyboy413 said:

Does it work okay?

I tested it with my mustimeter and it was showing the same reading, i am not too bothered about the temperature as its inside the car so not important but interesting all the same 4c outside today 18c in the car. 

• Thanks 1

I am more interested in what current is drawn when all systems are in sleep mode!.

• Like 1

It would be good to put a decent recording ammeter on the Battery to see what it's drawing in all the different scenarios. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chas G said:

It would be good to put a decent recording ammeter on the battery to see what it's drawing in all the different scenarios. 

I agree
the one used by toyota is broken 😏

• Haha 1

Hello everyone. In the 18 months that I've had my 2021 Yaris Hybrid, it's been back to the dealer 5 times with flat batteries. It's had two new 12V batteries, the last was 5 days ago. In the 5 days since I had the new Battery, I've done 1 x 45 minute drive (back from the dealer), 2 x 40 minute drives, and 2 x 15 minute ones, and had to jump-start it from my Noco Battery pack twice. I was about to go out again but the dash is now saying NOT READY TO DRIVE.  Before I try to resolve it by jumping it again, is this just a pre-going-flat message or a clue that something else might be underlying all the issues? The dealer has run all the checks many times and says there's nothing wrong with it and have only replaced the Battery as a goodwill gesture - they think it's my driving (which is usually much as above and I don't do tiny trips). I know there's a lot on here about the battery but I haven't found the answer to this one, so thank you very much to anyone who can advise and big apologies if I've missed the answer elsewhere on here.

Is this really regular experience for hybrid owners? I can honestly say that in my 35 years of driving I've never been so frequently inconvenienced by a car and wish I could give it back but it's under Toyota Finance.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

Hello Wilder

In the past 24 months I’ve had to call Toyota Assistant 7 times to jump start my 2020 plate Yaris Hybrid (bought May 2021, previously a demo car). I’ve been back to the local dealer numerous times and they kept the car for a week in Sept 2023 to test for Battery drainage etc. No cause found. The dealer fitted a new Battery as a gesture of goodwill in April 2023. In the past 4 weeks the latest Battery has gone dead a further twice, even with a trickle charger in place. On New Year’s Day I purchased a NOCO jump start as I couldn’t face waiting for 3-4.5 hours again for Toyota Assistance/AA to attend further instances. The battery went dead for the 8th time last Friday - NOCO started it. 

My car is now with the dealer. They accept my driving amount is not the issue. I understand they have submitted a technical report to Toyota UK and have said they are committed to finding a solution to the recurring dead battery.

I’m at the end of my tether with the car - which is really sad having previously been a very satisfied Yaris owner for many years with previous models. 

I have shared details of the forum with the dealer to highlight my experience is not an isolated example (I started this thread in Jan 2021). I have also shared details of the Yuasa battery. 

It would be helpful to hear how your case progresses. 

• Like 6
  • Sad 2

Thank you, Jo. What a frustrating story and not at all encouraging. I'll certainly keep the forum updated with any progress. I'm just waiting for a callback from my dealer, but they admitted last time that mine was a far-from-isolated case. 

Good luck with yours...

• Like 2

Hey all, i need a new Battery for my 2016 Yaris III and want to get the Varta C22 (12V 54AH 470CCA type 012)

I understand the extra AH/CCA shouldn't be a problem?

The dimentions are correct, but im wondering if the top clamp will fit/hold it in place ok? The Battery looks to have and angled edge at the front top (see pic) right where the clamp will want a square edge, hope that makes sense! It'll be my fist Battery change 😉

c22-varta-new.webp

7 hours ago, Wilder said:

Hello everyone. In the 18 months that I've had my 2021 Yaris Hybrid, it's been back to the dealer 5 times with flat batteries. It's had two new 12V batteries, the last was 5 days ago. In the 5 days since I had the new battery, I've done 1 x 45 minute drive (back from the dealer), 2 x 40 minute drives, and 2 x 15 minute ones, and had to jump-start it from my Noco battery pack twice. I was about to go out again but the dash is now saying NOT READY TO DRIVE.  Before I try to resolve it by jumping it again, is this just a pre-going-flat message or a clue that something else might be underlying all the issues? The dealer has run all the checks many times and says there's nothing wrong with it and have only replaced the battery as a goodwill gesture - they think it's my driving (which is usually much as above and I don't do tiny trips). I know there's a lot on here about the battery but I haven't found the answer to this one, so thank you very much to anyone who can advise and big apologies if I've missed the answer elsewhere on here.

Is this really regular experience for hybrid owners? I can honestly say that in my 35 years of driving I've never been so frequently inconvenienced by a car and wish I could give it back but it's under Toyota Finance.

I would probably check to see if the Battery looks new, or that the new Battery were left depleted before installation. Your driving is a good amount of time, that isn't the issue. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Wilder said:

Hello everyone. In the 18 months that I've had my 2021 Yaris Hybrid, it's been back to the dealer 5 times with flat batteries. It's had two new 12V batteries, the last was 5 days ago. In the 5 days since I had the new battery, I've done 1 x 45 minute drive (back from the dealer), 2 x 40 minute drives, and 2 x 15 minute ones, and had to jump-start it from my Noco battery pack twice. I was about to go out again but the dash is now saying NOT READY TO DRIVE.  Before I try to resolve it by jumping it again, is this just a pre-going-flat message or a clue that something else might be underlying all the issues? The dealer has run all the checks many times and says there's nothing wrong with it and have only replaced the battery as a goodwill gesture - they think it's my driving (which is usually much as above and I don't do tiny trips). I know there's a lot on here about the battery but I haven't found the answer to this one, so thank you very much to anyone who can advise and big apologies if I've missed the answer elsewhere on here.

17 hours ago, Joby1 said:

Hello Wilder

In the past 24 months I’ve had to call Toyota Assistant 7 times to jump start my 2020 plate Yaris Hybrid (bought May 2021, previously a demo car). I’ve been back to the local dealer numerous times and they kept the car for a week in Sept 2023 to test for battery drainage etc. No cause found. The dealer fitted a new battery as a gesture of goodwill in April 2023. In the past 4 weeks the latest battery has gone dead a further twice, even with a trickle charger in place. On New Year’s Day I purchased a NOCO jump start as I couldn’t face waiting for 3-4.5 hours again for Toyota Assistance/AA to attend further instances. The battery went dead for the 8th time last Friday - NOCO started it. 

My car is now with the dealer. They accept my driving amount is not the issue. I understand they have submitted a technical report to Toyota UK and have said they are committed to finding a solution to the recurring dead battery.

I’m at the end of my tether with the car - which is really sad having previously been a very satisfied Yaris owner for many years with previous models. 

I have shared details of the forum with the dealer to highlight my experience is not an isolated example (I started this thread in Jan 2021). I have also shared details of the Yuasa battery. 

It would be helpful to hear how your case progresses. 

The solution for both of you will cost £80 and be the end of all your problems.  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, anchorman said:

The solution for both of you will cost £80 and be the end of all your problems.  

Thank you - I'll talk to them about it when I take it back today

• Like 1

Apologies for 3 daft questions but does a yaris cross

1. Need a stop/ start Battery? I ask because I have been looking at Halfords Battery replacement with a 

Yuasa HSB202 Part no YBX5202  45AH cca 440 amps  175mm×175mm×190mm. Supply and fit £117.69

2. Will there be problems resetting the computer system after the Battery has been fitted?

3. Would I be better just asking Steven Eagell to fit a bigger capacity battery

thanks

Chas

• Like 1

3. Yes

2. Probably not.

1. No.  A stop/start Battery kicking a starter motor into life is one thing.  Your Toyota Battery merely has to power a few electrical items and let the system look after the rest.

A larger capacity Battery however will last longer than a smaller one given the same parasitic drainage. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Our Yaris Cross AWD was bought in April 2023 and has 3,000 miles on the clock.

We have experienced numerous dead Battery situations and called out the AA before investing in a 12v Battery pack. My wife struggles using this on a cold morning so I contacted the dealer. He suggested we buy a solar panel charger for £82 but as it discharges mainly overnight that would be useless. Last Friday the Dealer had it overnight and did a "deep Charge" giving it a clean bill of health on Saturday. Sunday we did a 100 mile round trip to give it a good charge and upon return home the Battery showed 99% however the next morning it was down to 55% and after being parked for another 24 hours down to 28%. This week we did another run of 60 miles getting the battery to 68% but this morning it showed 21%. We are using a Battery Monitor 2 to check battery status.

The dealer now wants the car for 2 days to investigate.

Is the car Fit for Purpose?