Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

12v battery maintenance, issues, etc.

FROSTYBALLS

49 minutes ago, Sooty said:

Hi David,

I am wondering which dealer you used.

I have had dealings with "techs" talking out of their rear ends and then spoke with the service manager explaining that I was a mechanic for 23 years in the Army. Since then if their are any issues I am asked to go into the workshop and see the issue myself.

Have a word with the service manager and ask him /her to explain why driving 120 miles plus is bad for the 12V battery. I bet that they can't explain it and will try BSing you.

If you don't get any joy then raise a complaint to the site manager and to Toyota head office (If it was a Toyota Dealership)

W.R.Davies Sooty

• Like 1

David,

Thanks for the info. It was only for curiosity.

I use Pinkstones in Stoke.

Normally, in fact 99%, they are excellent.

• Like 1

Added a 12v charging socket and voltage meter.  Meter has on/off switch so saves a few milliamps by having the display off!

Items sourced from eBay, Car Voltage Display, 12 volt accessory socket.

The "angle" of the Battery cover has nothing behind it, so was suitable for adding the bits.  Socket had ring connectors for the Battery, but the hole was too small so snipped a bit out and made them U shaped.  Fitted the Battery terminals perfectly.  Both leads protected by 5amp inline fuses.

My lithium battery booster came with a 12 accessory plug for boosting batteries where the cig lighter socket is "live" all the time.  Not usual on cars these days, but perfect for the use I'm intending.

30 minute job.

IMG_6317.JPG

IMG_6320.JPG

IMG_6323.JPG

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Cyker said:

Wow, neat job! :thumbsup:

Funny old thing, that's what I said a couple of days ago.

6 hours ago, jthspace said:

Added a 12v charging socket and voltage meter.  Meter has on/off switch so saves a few milliamps by having the display off!

The "angle" of the battery cover has nothing behind it, so was suitable for adding the bits.  Socket had ring connectors for the battery, but the hole was too small so snipped a bit out and made them U shaped.  Fitted the battery terminals perfectly.  Both leads protected by 5amp inline fuses.

My lithium battery booster came with a 12 accessory plug for boosting batteries where the cig lighter socket is "live" all the time.  Not usual on cars these days, but perfect for the use I'm intending.

30 minute job.

IMG_6317.JPG

IMG_6320.JPG

IMG_6323.JPG

Having a source fir the parts, why not 'assemble the kit', write out a set of instructions with photos,  and market the 'kit' at a 100% markup?

You could take a punt and assemble one or two kits which I am sure you could sell at cost plus if no takers.   If it takes off you could be on a winner.

• Haha 1

12v socket eBay

12v accessory socket £4.30

Voltmeter eBay

Voltmeter with switch £9.60

😂 Roy, but here it is for free!  It's taken almost as long to type this than do the fettling.

Instructions:

Take off the Battery cover.  Look on the reverse and drill a hole between the strengthening ribs.  I used a stepped drill.  About 2" along, on the same line, drill another hole.

Insert the voltmeter and tighten the fixing ring, making sure the meter stays aligned (straight).

Push the spade connections onto the back of the voltmeter (red to + and black to -).  Cut off the spades and bare the ends about 1cm of wire. Twist the wire.

Insert the accessory socket and, like the voltmeter, tighten the ring making sure the cover flap is straight, tab pointing down.

On the accessory socket rear, feed the red voltmeter wire through the hole in the positive terminal of the accessory socket.  Bring the wire up over the spade and whilst holding it, push the red wire spade terminal of the accessory socket on the spade, trapping the voltmeter wire, ensuring there are no bare wire showing.

Repeat for the negative, black, wire of the two items.

On the wires for the accessory socket, cut a bit out of the brass ring terminal making it U shaped instead of O

Remove the negative Battery terminal.  Keep it out of the way.  Loosen the + Battery nut a few turns and insert the red accessory socket terminal behind the washer.  Tighten the nut.  10mm spanner.

Reattach the negative terminal.  Insert the black accessory socket terminal behind the washer.  Tighten the nut.

Press the "on" button on the voltmeter and see the voltage.  Press again, see % charge.  Long press turns it off.

NOTE: Do not shorten wires, leave them long so that if you have to remove the battery cover again, there will be enough slack to allow it to be simply taken off and placed in the footwell.  

IMG_1540.jpeg

IMG_1541.jpeg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Charliewatch said:

Hi there,l had my 2022 yaris serviced on Tuesday its first service.

When l picked it up the service bloke told me the 12 volt battery is Amber condition and needs charging.

I was astounded by this warning,he said its because my driving around town isn't good for the 12 volt battery,so l told him that l have been driving around Wales 120 miles a day,to which he said that's just as bad l cannot win.

What have l done wrong with my driving.

As part of the service I expect it to be returned fully charged!. NOT to imply take it home and recharge it yourself its a lot more polite as part of a service to say we recharged it and you need to keep a eye on it by giving it a charge once o month.

Amber condition I presume it refers to a load test and the time it takes for the Battery to recover.

If so then it was probably recharged afterwards but a lot of info lost in customer service department went its handed back to you.

• Like 1

Jeff. I was suggesting the potential for an income stream.  Perhaps sell it to Toyota etc .

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

Jeff. I was suggesting the potential for an income stream.  Perhaps sell it to Toyota etc .

😁 well I worked for over 50 years and really enjoy my retirement. I've got 2 MX5's to take out on club runs and meets which keeps us out and about.  Then the fettling on them, I'm always fiddling with something.  Oh, and breakfast club, trips up to Norfolk coast...... you get the idea.

That being said, neither MX5 has been out since we got the Yaris, it's my first choice at the moment; even managed over 80 MPG on an ECO run out to lunch with some friends, 20 Miles each way on the A11/A14. Amazing.

I'm sure Toyota know all about the perceived/real Battery  issue and that they hear from their customers as well as reading the posts on here.  Judging on their manufacturing down to a cost, spending £10 when they make the car would probably be a no-no. Also the £75 they would charge for the Battery charger accessory (net cost £15) would generate more moaning about the cost of add-ons.  Then the "we need this" vs "just drive it"  discussions would fill another 50 pages of comments!  

That being said, I have a friend who manufactures MX5 enhancements and I'll pass this to him to see if he would be interested in putting a kit together. I'll report back. 

BTW, I think this (12v Battery thoughts) particular part of the site has been most entertaining and one of my favourites.

Jeff

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Derek.w said:

As part of the service I expect it to be returned fully charged!. NOT to imply take it home and recharge it yourself its a lot more polite as part of a service to say we recharged it and you need to keep a eye on it by giving it a charge once o month.

Amber condition I presume it refers to a load test and the time it takes for the battery to recover.

If so then it was probably recharged afterwards but a lot of info lost in customer service department went its handed back to you.

Regular service is a 1-2h thing at best. A Battery that actually needs charging really does need that overnight charge, those few hours won't do a whole lot to it.

• Like 1

Just done a quick and dirty analysis of my Battery voltage starting on Monday morning before the car was serviced.  

The start voltage in the garage was 12.35v.  It is still 12.35v this morning.

When the car was taken to the garage the voltage jumped to 14.46v and settled to 12.42v.  During the servicing period the voltage varied but each time the car was clearly not in Ready mode the voltage dropped but by 5pm was at 12.51v before it was returned to me.  By midnight it was 12.46v.  In other words the two short drives and other periods which came to exactly 60 minutes gave a 0.11v boost.

Then followed 77 minutes on the 18th, 54 minutes on the 19th, and nothing since then.

At midnight on the 18th the voltage was 12.49v.

At midnight on the 19th it was 12.46v

The 20th have 12.38v and the 21st 12.36v.

We had one drive on the 16th, 3hr 52min and the start voltage had been 12.37v and the voltage at midnight was 12.55v.  

It suggests that even 4 hours in Ready mode does not give a large increase on voltage and after 2 hours in Ready mode in the week the resting voltage is back near 12.37v.

I know from previous use with the CTEK charger that the 'stop' voltage is nearer 12.7v or almost 0.3v higher than the DC-DC charge delivers.

• Like 2

It does certainly seem like that the car's software is fine with the Battery hanging around 12,3-12,5. It doesnt seem to push very hard to get it above that and only seems to really activate when it seems to go below that 12,3v threshold.

Hard to say whether or not that is just some magic number Toyota has decided on as a compromise for best efficiency or whether it's due to the DC-DC converter not being able to charge a CaCa Battery to maximum voltage (remember, it takes over 16v to fully charge a CaCa battery).

But the 12,3v is interesting. We're still talking about 70%ish state of charge (while 12,5v is 90%ish). But still, at that amount of passive bleed you are rather soon in dangerous waters if/when the car truely isn't gunning for 12,7V 100% charge. 

28 minutes ago, CruxisCore said:

It does certainly seem like that the car's software is fine with the battery hanging around 12,3-12,5. ....

Hard to say whether or not that is just some magic number Toyota has decided on as a compromise for best efficiency or whether it's due to the DC-DC converter not being able to charge a CaCa battery to maximum voltage (remember, it takes over 16v to fully charge a CaCa battery).  ℹ️

But the 12,3v is interesting. .... But still, at that amount of passive bleed you are rather soon in dangerous waters.....

From previous detailed monitoring I got a daily drop of 0.01v.  Ten days would be 0.1 and even 3 weeks only 0.2v though I have not tested it over 3 weeks.

The car is now sitting on the charger at 14.46v.

Interesting what you say about the CaCa charge.  I did ask CTEK and they referred me to Toyota.  I think the answer was use Lead-Acid setting.

13 hours ago, Roy124 said:

Hi Roy,

My friend and I have discussed the pros and cons of offering a kit. As you can imagine, it's not as straight forward as one might think.

Looking through AliExpress both the sockets and voltmeters are available for around £3 each. I'd also want to add in a hole saw. Could put everything together in a suitable box for about £10.00. However we would have to order 10+ of everything in anticipation of orders.

Selling on eBay there are the fees to consider and posting would be at the small parcel rate. Selling at say £20 would give around £6 profit. Under a fiver after income tax!

Here's the thing that would limit sales. Many people are very wary of drilling into their car never mind about doing anything electrical. From other kits my friend sells, it doesn't matter how clear you make instructions some don't read them and some can't understand them. Some then leave negative feedback and on eBay, that's a real curse.

I think I'll just leave it as a "how to" and I've copied it into the How To guides section as well.

ATB, Jeff

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, jthspace said:

Many people are very wary of drilling into their car never mind about doing anything electrical.

Many many years ago I bought a reversing light kit from Triumph for my 1300.  I don't know how I got under the car, ramps maybe, and drilled a hole in the gearbox to mount the switch.

I shudder now to think about it. 🥴

I also did 'mad' things like changing ignition to contactless, adjusting timing, dismantling and reassembling a windscreen wiper stalk (needed Araldite and locking wire to replace the drilled out rivets), fitted relays for the headlights and fog lights, and refitted a cruise control from car to car.  The last iteration the garage said couldn't be done; I did it.

• Like 2

I am just in the process of buying a 2020 corolla and new to this forum, I am alarmed about the Battery issues I have read on here.

All cars even none Hybrid there is a sacrificial current trickling from the Battery to computers essentials camera anti theft etc and when the car is shut off.

Why can't there be a power pack powered to switched from the main Battery to the 12 v system to give the engine a start in emergency

Don't be alarmed as that will drain the Battery even more! 🙂

Very few people have the Battery problem, some people inherited a below par Battery from previous owner/garage. Or very short trips/low usage. Use the car regularly or put it in ready mode for 30 mins or so a week - that you would have also read.

Most people don't have this problem. Had my Yaris for 5 years (7yrs old) not a single issue with 12v battery. I do not have anything like solar/jumper start/ or charger. You posted on the Yaris forum, no harm done. 

• Like 3

Well, Amazon delivered my cigarette socket voltmeter charge effort today. Interesting phenomenon.

Car on accessory Mode it reads 12.0~12.2V
Car on Engine Mode (I drove it this morning, so the EV was on, not the petrol engine) it reads 14.0 V

Does the Battery get a bit of a boost when the engine is running? All looks good to me though, and thats a week of short trips to the doggo park, with the last meaty trip on Tuesday (150miles round trip).

22 minutes ago, Xerapin said:

Well, Amazon delivered my cigarette socket voltmeter charge effort today. Interesting phenomenon.

Car on accessory Mode it reads 12.0~12.2V
Car on Engine Mode (I drove it this morning, so the EV was on, not the petrol engine) it reads 14.0 V

Does the battery get a bit of a boost when the engine is running? All looks good to me though, and thats a week of short trips to the doggo park, with the last meaty trip on Tuesday (150miles round trip).

Be wary of the accessory mode. That will probably lead to a flat Battery easiest and surprisingly fast. 12-12,2v is normal cos Acc mode uses Battery but has no way of regaining it.

In Ready mode 14v is a rather normal voltage that shows the car is actively charging the Battery. It doesnt have inherently anything to do with EV mode or car using the combustion engine, rather the car's brain literally decided that battery voltage is now low enough, lets charge it up some. There is apparently at least a more light "trickle charge" mode as well as a heavier form of charging, but probably also something in between, as this isnt the highest voltage I've seen when charging, but the trickle mode is more in the the 13s range. Might wanna check later after the car has "cooled off" to see what the voltage says at that point, as that 14v is cleary when it's charging rather than that the battery is resting at 14v.

But yeah, the conclusion you can make from some of the graphs people have posted here is that the car does whatever it wants and sometimes it's hard to find a logic in it. 

But yeah, I'd say avoid accessory mode and just keep the car in ready mode if you are waiting in the car.

3 hours ago, Roy124 said:

From previous detailed monitoring I got a daily drop of 0.01v.  Ten days would be 0.1 and even 3 weeks only 0.2v though I have not tested it over 3 weeks.

The car is now sitting on the charger at 14.46v.

Interesting what you say about the CaCa charge.  I did ask CTEK and they referred me to Toyota.  I think the answer was use Lead-Acid setting.

I would definitely not push more than 16v at least while the battery is connceted. It does seem that CTEK Recond mode (pushes up to 15,8v or so) is safe, but at your own risk if you decide to try it. But according to what is known about these CaCa batteries, they will never reach full SoC with regular 12v charging voltages. They've probably accounted for it, but again the problem can rise with certain kind of use.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Xerapin said:

and thats a week of short trips to the doggo park,

@Xerapin….just out of interest…what sort of mpg does it record for these ‘doggo park’ trips ?

28 minutes ago, Graham47 said:

@Xerapin….just out of interest…what sort of mpg does it record for these ‘doggo park’ trips ?

It really depends on the traffic, the worst I've seen is 42.4MPG when I got caught during the school run. The best I've seen which was from the house to the park (Downhill) of 68.2MPG, but I would say it averages around 55MPG as its 1.5miles away, so for the first .5 miles the petrol engine is usually warming up before the EV settles in.

• Like 3

I seldom use acc mode but its gives you a idear of the car Battery with gage pluged into cigaret lighter socket but voltage reading will always be slightly higher than what it reads because you are reading Battery voltage under a load condition.

My BM monitor is reading 12.33 volts. but in acc mode its reading is 11.9 volts the diffrance is some power is now deen drawing off.

6 hours ago, CruxisCore said:

Regular service is a 1-2h thing at best. A battery that actually needs charging really does need that overnight charge, those few hours won't do a whole lot to it.

A garage can recharge a Yaris Battery at upto 15 Amps max that info is in the handbook under Vehicle Specifcations page 182.

How far will the hybrid travel in electric only mode if the Battery is full, is there a maximum speed before the ICE kicks in?

41 minutes ago, Max_Headroom said:

How far will the hybrid travel in electric only mode if the battery is full, is there a maximum speed before the ICE kicks in?

Not very and yes.

You are unlikely to see a full Battery.  At best there always one bar, maybe 2, uncharged and discharged below 4 is unlikely.

Downhill, with a gentle foot, you might achieve a mile.   Once at speed,  say upto about 60 and level to a gentle slope, maybe a couple of miles.

As soon as you apply power the car will probably fire up the ICE. Speed is not really the relevant factor.

A 1,200 yard trip was on EV for 1 000 yards and 80% of time. The ICE was used to move the car up about 20 feet in 100 yards and then a further 15 feet and accelerate to 25mph over about 50 yards.

This was a cold start and showed mpg of 38mph.

• Like 4

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links