Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

How to permanently disable excess speed notification?

Beefstah

32 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

Really there is only one argument- the speed sign recognition is wrong or is wrongly interpreted.

That's the problem - it's wrong a lot, and alert fatigue means it just gets ignored or disabled, making it useless.

I turn it off every time I start driving because of the frequent inaccuracy. Every time. If I could set it to +5 or +10%, I'd leave it on.

• Like 4

My most hilarious one so far has been when it thinks the speed limit is 20kph on a 40mph road :laugh: 

6 minutes ago, Cyker said:

My most hilarious one so far has been when it thinks the speed limit is 20kph on a 40mph road :laugh: 

I had 10 on 40, same difference. 

• Like 1

Oh yes, I forgot about my GRY occasionally reading signs in kph. However that doesn't beep at me about it, so it's not a problem.

I've been looking at the Lexus 450h+ PHEV thinking perhaps that may have a better implementation of the speed limit warning but alas not. You got to disable the beeping each time you switch the car on. 🤷 Reviewer mentions it towards the end. Horrific colour btw.

7 hours ago, Nick72 said:

I've been looking at the Lexus 450h+ PHEV thinking perhaps that may have a better implementation of the speed limit warning but alas not. You got to disable the beeping each time you switch the car on. 🤷 Reviewer mentions it towards the end. Horrific colour btw.

This will be the case for any new car that has been type approved since July 2022. It will apply to any new car sold from July 2024 even if it hasn't had a model upgrade since 2022. I believe it also applies to vehicles in "stock" that must have it retrofitted. I suppose the only variation between manufacturers is the sound and volume of the alert, or how accessible they make it to temporarily disable.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, nlee said:

This will be the case for any new car that has been type approved since July 2022. It will apply to any new car sold from July 2024 even if it hasn't had a model upgrade since 2022. I believe it also applies to vehicles in "stock" that must have it retrofitted. I suppose the only variation between manufacturers is the sound and volume of the alert, or how accessible they make it to temporarily disable.

There are alternatives to the "cascading acoustic alert" - though I am really not sure that they would be any better or less annoying.

There is a legislative requirement to make the system easy to reenable while driving. If that piece is implemented well, it should be equally easy to disable the acoustic alert while driving - which doesn't appear to be the case in current Toyota or Lexus models.

And, on top of that, with increasing 'personalisation' it should be possible for manufacturers to comply with the legislation by resetting the alert system when the car is turned on and then automatically configure the car to the driver's requirement in terms of seating position, display and alert settings.

Well, we can but hope ...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nlee said:

It will apply to any new car sold from July 2024 ... I believe it also applies to vehicles in "stock" that must have it retrofitted.

I wonder if we will see garage stock that doesn't comply dropping in price massively this and next month...!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ThomasL said:

I wonder if we will see garage stock that doesn't comply dropping in price massively this and next month...!

That wouldn't apply to much Toyota stock - Toyota have been building compliant cars for well over a year now ... You'd probably have to find an unused 2022MY RAV4 that they now couldn't sell!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, nlee said:

So if in 2 or less button presses I could disable it I'd be happy. Not happy is trying to find it in multilayered menus for 2 minutes every time I set off. 

Even being able to set the warning at 3mph above the limit would be helpful since that will be closer to the actual speed limit given the fast Speedo.

Is it a legal requirement then for the system to enable beeps and visuals each time the car is started, and illegal to have a cancel it forever switch, or cancel just the beeps forever switch.

The car already sounds like a Nintendo Gameboy. 😂

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Nick72 said:

So if in 2 or less button presses I could disable it I'd be happy. Not happy is trying to find it in multilayered menus for 2 minutes every time I set off. 

Even being able to set the warning at 3mph above the limit would be helpful since that will be closer to the actual speed limit given the fast Speedo.

Is it a legal requirement then for the system to enable beeps and visuals each time the car is started, and illegal to have a cancel it forever switch, or cancel just the beeps forever switch.

The car already sounds like a Nintendo Gameboy. 😂

I have a MY24 Corolla with this setup and, yes, the overspeed warning resets to audio and visual every time the car is started.  There is no 'cancel beeps' forever option.  Neither is there a option to set it to activate at limit +3 or +5, etc..

I do, however, have dealing with this down to a fine art;   or so I tell myself. 

I leave 'Settings' in the centre configurable area (since there are two other configurable areas on the 12.3" display).   Press OK for the list.  Down 1 to select LDA .  Turn off (as I hate it).   Up 4 for RSA.   Either turn off or go into sub-menu, notifications, change speed warning to visual only.

I can do this within 30 secs of the READY light coming up.   Working on improving that...

It is possible to turn off LDA and RSA on the fly but not possible to access the RSA sub-menu unless stationary. 

Apart from this stuff, I really like the car BTW 🙂 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Nick72 said:

If the manufacturer has adopted the "cascading acoustic alert" option then yes, yes and yes. As I read it, the acoustic alerts must be enabled each time the car is switched on.

• Sad 2

Looks like I'm either going to go insane, or, I'll be driving at 26mph in a 30 and 64mph on the motorway. FFS but may be that's a good thing. Apart from when it doesn't recognise the signs properly.

I'll just have to remember to disable the audio warning if going on a long trip.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Nick72 said:

I'll be driving at 26mph in a 30 and 64mph on the motorway. FFS but may be that's what they want.

Apart from the RSA picking up the wrong speeds,  the other is all the earlier models being driven at 30/70 etc.

It is pretty obvious when another driver is habitually used to driving at mid-30s and I am driving at 30 indicated.  They ride my bumper in frustration. 

The village stretch I am thinking of is just 600 yards and includes the school bus run.

Assuming an uninterrupted 36mph dash you would save 9 seconds.

A 20 mile commute at a true 70 would save you 90 seconds. Less time than drinking your first cup of coffee. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Nick72 said:

I'll just have to remember to disable the audio warning if going on a long trip.

I wouldn't have a problem with longer trips. I'm perfectly happy to set the DRCC to the car's version of 70 (aka 66.5-ish) and accept the 5% longer drive time in exchange for the more relaxed journey. Similarly, I wouldn't be too bothered by the occasional 'beep' if I were to accelerate to overtake something - I just hate folk who merely drive alongside without any apparent intent to get the pass done.

I might have more issues on shorter journeys on A and B roads where I don't use DRCC but drive conventionally. Under these circumstance I am more likely to lean on or marginally exceed the limit - as, I suspect, most of us do. Then, maybe, a gentle nag isn't such a bad thing when done appropriately.

Two cars ago, Toyota 'Jane', the satnav lady, used to [optionally] give warnings - "You are over the speed limit". I used to opt to have this 'on' and tell her to 'shut-up' when I already knew and wasn't interested or apologise when I hadn't realised. Madness I know but I don't object to a helpful warn - I do object to an anonymous distracting 'beep'.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, philip42h said:

Toyota 'Jane', the satnav lady, used to [optionally] give warnings - "You are over the speed limit". I used to opt to have this 'on' and tell her to 'shut-up' when I already knew and wasn't interested or apologise when I hadn't realised. Madness I know but I don't object to a helpful warn

I had a POI Warner on my PDI (pre-phones) and 'b itching Brunhilda' is a strict German accent. 

One day, as a passenger in a coach I had switched on the Sat Nag to see where we were.

Moments later, from 3 rows behind driver Brunhilda sounds off "Slow down, you are exceeding the speed limit".

The result was instanteous.  The coach perked and swerved and the driver peered back with a mutinous expression.   Mind you, she was right 🤣

• Haha 2

On 5/5/2024 at 5:49 PM, Cyker said:

If it beeps all the time then driving along the A75 in Dumfries & Galloway will be appalling. It's frequently signed as 40mph for HGVs but everyone else can do 60. My '19 Corolla only sees the 40 part of the sign and turns the indicator red. In a newer model it sounds like you could be driving for an hour with it beeping at you.

I wonder if Toyota have seen a drop in sales along the South West coast of Scotland?

• Haha 1

On 5/4/2024 at 8:58 PM, FROSTYBALLS said:

Legally in the EU/UK the indicated speed shown on a speedometer must never be less than the actual speed, i.e. it should not be possible to inadvertently speed because of an incorrect speedometer reading. The indicated speed must not be more than 110 percent of the true speed plus 4 km/h (2.5 mph) at specified test speeds.

Additionally in the UK, the indicated speed must not be more than 110 percent of the true speed plus at all actual speeds between 25 mph and 70 mph (or the vehicles' maximum speed if it is lower than this), the indicated speed must not exceed 110% of the actual speed, plus 6.25 mph.

For example, if the vehicle is actually traveling at 50 mph, the speedometer must not show more than 61.25 mph or less than 50 mph.

The GPS indicated speed is an average over a given number of points.

As Mike says, the speed shown on a speedometer is conservative by design. But it would be a mistake to assume that GPS derived speed is accurate / exact. It is calculated from the rate of change of GPS calculated position so reasonably good at a constant speed on a straight and level road - it is unlikely to be out by more than 2% under those conditions. It is significantly worse around curves, on gradients and under acceleration or braking - though such errors are short term and tend to be averaged out. But if we get to a GPS indicated speed above 98% of the speed limit, we risk being over.

The speedometer on the other hand measures speed on the rate of revolutions of the road wheels and an assumed circumference of the road wheels:

• There's a variation of about 2% between a new and barely legal tyre.
  • There's a variation of about 3% between the different OEM wheel and tyre sizes fitted to a RAV4.5 - though we tend to stick with the one we were given.
  • There will be differences between different makes of tyre (sidewall stiffness etc.) and the temperature / pressure - probably another percent or two.

Such variations may, of course, cancel out, but if additive could easily account for a 5% difference in indicated speed between one RAV and another ...

• Like 2

Having made clear (above) that I routinely either turn off RSA altogether (short journeys) or switch the overspeed warnings to visual only (longer journeys), I probably ought to say that I don't deliberately drive over the limit and I wouldn't mind the overspeed warnings if the system was always correct;   but it very much is not.

According to the manual, the system uses a mix of data from the front camera and also from the in-built mapping.   IIRC, it doesn't say which is prioritised in the event of conflicting data.

In the short time that I have had the Corolla I have seen all sorts of wild and wacky speed limits displayed.    Some appear to come from side/slip roads or exits not taken on roundabouts, some when a speed sign is obscured by vegetation, the camera picks up the '20' signs outside schools that only apply when the signs are flashing, etc., etc., ad nauseam.

So if I didn't kill the overspeed beeping it would be going off way too often.   I don't want to have this happening and either drown it out with music or ignore it because, just maybe, something might be beeping that I really do want to know about.

• Like 3

I agree. It's unusual for me to drive over the limit and if I do it's only by 1mph or so. I'm almost religious at sticking to the posted limit. So if it was accurate it would rarely bother me and the times would be so infrequent that I'd probably welcome it.

• Like 1

In all the bumf I've read on the Corolla I seem to remember seeing something to effect that, in the latest facelift version (2023 maybe?), the front camera now has a wider view than before.   Intended, I believe, to enhance the pre-collision system.

I am wondering if an unintended consequence is that the camera is now more prone to picking up road signs that don't actually apply to the route being driven.   Not that would help with defective/obscured signs or those that only apply in limited circumstances (e.g. the limits outside schools that apply when the lights are flashing).

• Like 1

While GPS may be inaccurate on hills and bends speed cameras tend to be on straight stretches with clear line of sight.

Where we do speed watch there are bends and hills but we still have line of sight 300m inside the zone. 

We can spot the speeders when the bonnet drops and the engine note changes. 

BTW, I can't think of Toyotas we spot with BMW and Audi being most noticeable. 

I have a cunning plan, Photoshop a small photo of a road with a speed limit sign in it showing 100 and tape it in front of the camera, then it will think your permanently under the current limit and leave you alone.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

6 hours ago, SDR said:

In all the bumf I've read on the Corolla I seem to remember seeing something to effect that, in the latest facelift version (2023 maybe?), the front camera now has a wider view than before.   Intended, I believe, to enhance the pre-collision system.

I am wondering if an unintended consequence is that the camera is now more prone to picking up road signs that don't actually apply to the route being driven.   Not that would help with defective/obscured signs or those that only apply in limited circumstances (e.g. the limits outside schools that apply when the lights are flashing).

TBH my pre-facelift Mk4 Yaris already has this problem in spades - It somehow sees every 20mph sign in every side road but misses the sun-bleached corroded mini 40mph signs so it's almost permanently telling me the limit is 20mph on that stretch of the A406, when it is in fact a 40mph road!

And to compound the problem, half the time it thinks the limit is 20 *kph* :wacko:

This is one of the big things that has put me off getting the new 130HP Premium spec Mk4 Yaris, as that would drive me insane if it was beeping the whole time thinking I'm doing 40mph in a 20kph zone!

• Like 1

I've been rattling on about this quite a bit, probably too much and boring folk to death.   However... the debate that I have been having with myself is whether to turn off RSA altogether or go into the sub-menu and change the warnings to visual only.   I am moving towards turning it off altogether (which is quicker anyway!).

Yesterday I was driving on a long, straight road that is subject to a 30 limit and signed as such.   The RSA showed 40 for the length of the road (no repeater signs in 30s).   This is the opposite problem to the annoying bleeps.   I know the road, I know where the fixed speed camera is and I know where the mobile camera vans park (it's a 'hotspot').   Point is, the road looks as if it could be a 40 and, if I didn't know it/had missed the signs/had trusted the RSA display, I could easily have won a speeding ticket. 

Misinformation is worse than no information. 

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links