Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Minimum to spend on tyres?

Merlin5

I've aways gone quite inexpensive on tyres. I need to replace two or three tyres and one tyre shop showed me some that are £60 each, fitted. Is there a minimum price of tyre I should be looking at that would be good to buy? I don't want to spend £100+ but perhaps the tyres in the £50 to £60 range should be avoided, I don't really know. Or are they ok? My tyres are 16" 205/15. I've not had any issues with cheaper tyres though. Does it really make a difference on fuel economy for instance?

• Like 1

In your case, the solution is used tyres or made in china tyres they are very cheap but of questionable quality.
In my country we say "Cheap meat is eaten by dogs".

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Some people refer to such tyres as 'ditchfinders'. I'd suggest checking some reliable review sources, though different sizes of the same tyres can have different levels of recommendations 

• Like 2

You don't need to spend too much money for a good tyre. Take a look at Uniroyal Rainsport 5, Firestone Roadhawk (a cheaper version of the excellent Turanza T005) or even the older, but still very good and safe, Dunlop Sport Blue Response.

Those tyres are not expensive and are very safe. Sometimes, you can even find them cheaper than some chinese brands.

Cheaper, weird brand tyres make a significant difference when it comes to safety. Especially wet tarmac, aquaplaning and wet breaking.

Check out Tyre Reviews YoutTube channel, and see some tests.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, jcps001 said:

You don't need to spend too much money for a good tyre. Take a look at Uniroyal Rainsport 5, Firestone Roadhawk (a cheaper version of the excellent Turanza T005) or even the older, but still very good and safe, Dunlop Sport Blue Response.

Those tyres are not expensive and are very safe. Sometimes, you can even find them cheaper than some chinese brands.

Cheaper, weird brand tyres make a significant difference when it comes to safety. Especially wet tarmac, aquaplaning and wet breaking.

Check out Tyre Reviews YoutTube channel, and see some tests.

Thanks. So it looks like  £80 is about the right price for a decent tyre.  I found the Dunlop Sport Blue Response you mentioned on the Asda tyres website. I can book fitting at various garages they list and I found one up the road from me. Is it necessary to replace all four tyres or ok to just replace the worn ones? I'm just thinking about different treads and overall grip and balance.

There seems to be two variations on this tyre for the same price.  I'm assuming the one on the right is better going by the wetgrip and noise ratings?

Screenshot_20240321_172147_Opera.jpg

• Like 1

The Dunlop Blue Response are comfortable tyres, with predictable grip. I can recommend them. Getting a well known brand is key. Cheaper tyres are usually short lived.

• Like 3

Hi, 

fuel savings between different tyres is negligible, 2-3mpg , however the comfort and safety are day and night difference. 
Go for minimum mid range tyres like Nexen, Kumho, Hankook or preferably get premium tyres like Goodyear efficient grip performance 2 or similar, these are so good , last long and withhold characteristics with age and mileage where cheaper tyres loose grip as soon as one year old or less than 10k miles. 
If you look for promotions you can get premium tyres for the price of mid range. 
https://www.blackcircles.com/tyres/205-55-16 

• Like 7

Your tyres are the only thing holding your car to the road. Buying the cheapest tyres you can find sounds like a dangerous strategy to me.

• Like 7

18 minutes ago, APS said:

The Dunlop Blue Response are comfortable tyres, with predictable grip. I can recommend them. Getting a well known brand is key. Cheaper tyres are usually short lived.

I swear by those and they have been on my cars for the last 7 years or so.

very predictable drive and very good wet performance. 

• Like 3

How many miles do you do annually could also be factor. 

• Like 2

Thanks chaps.  I do about 8000 miles a year. I looked at the Goodyear efficentgrip Performance 2 and can get them done at Halfords for £18 more than the Dunlop Blue Response. But given the recommendations on here for the Blue Response, I might as well save £18 and get the Dunlops.  Do most of you replace just worn tyres or complete sets? 

Personally when I need tyres I usually end up buying a set of wheels with good tyres off eBay.

This is why I have three sets of wheels clogging my garage up. 🙂

Be aware that some brands are owned by the likes of Michelin, etc.

Eg

Michelin own Kleber, Tigar, Riken, and Kormoran;

Goodyear own the European operations of Dunlop, & also own Kelly, Fulda, Sava & Debica;

Continental own the European operations of Uniroyal;

Pirelli own Courier, & Ceat;

Cooper owns Avon.

Kumho (Korean brand) also produce some reasonably priced tyres and are/have been OEM on some Hyundais and Kias, VW Polo, etc. Hankook , another Korean brand, have had OEM contracts with the likes of Ford (Mondeo, etc), and others.

Probably some of the Chinese brands are not up to the same standards as European tyres.

15 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Be aware that some brands are owned by the likes of Michelin, etc.

Eg

Michelin own Kleber, Tigar, Riken, and Kormoran;

Goodyear own the European operations of Dunlop, & also own Kelly, Fulda, Sava & Debica;

Continental own the European operations of Uniroyal;

Pirelli own Courier, & Ceat;

Cooper owns Avon.

Kumho (Korean brand) also produce some reasonably priced tyres and are/have been OEM on some Hyundais and Kias, VW Polo, etc. Hankook , another Korean brand, have had OEM contracts with the likes of Ford (Mondeo, etc), and others.

Probably some of the Chinese brands are not up to the same standards as European tyres.

I dont think it really matters who owns the tyre company tbh. 
after all who would buy a Range Rover or Jaguar if they knew that the Indian firm Tata owned both brands ?
i think OP was asking us as a community our opinion on “budget” tyres.

we responded with a resounding “noooooooo” and a number of us have pointed out the Dunlop BlueResponse as a good tyre. 

• Like 1

Having selected the tyres don't go to the nearest Halfords or Kwikfit.  Search online with the likes of BlackCircle.  You can then find a garage that will fit them.  The tyres are then sent to the fitters of your choice.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Paul john said:

I dont think it really matters who owns the tyre company

It depends what are classed as budget tyres.

My point was that some of the lesser known makes on sale in the UK, are owned by majors and their technology, manufacturing, etc, etc will benefit from the owning group sharing expertise, unlike some other standalone brands.

For example Dunlop tyres (which is just one of Goodyear's brands), being owned and manufactured by Goodyear, will benefit from Goodyear's expertise. Similarly with other brands I mentioned.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I prefer to keep the same type on all four corners. This is why I currently have the same type of Falkens on my Corolla as it shipped with despite the criticisms levelled at them. Like most people the fronts wear faster so I'm typically replacing a pair at a time.

I usually replace tyres in Autumn if it looks like I'll have less than 3mm of tread by the end of the Winter. That's sooner than the law requires but tests have shown that at 3mm or less tread tyres suffer a rapid drop off in wet weather grip.

• Like 4

I've recently gone with four Nexen's after several years on Dunlop Blue Response Sports. 

https://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/218222-a-bit-of-a-spend-it-was-decision-time-does-it-stay-or-go/#elControls_1755027_menu

I'm still really impressed with the Nexen's and their quietness and soft ride.

And there was more on the wish list... four new tyres were fitted as well. The Dunlop Blue Response Sports have covered over 50k and been very good but they were getting a bit thin. The independent I used offered to get similar but also suggested I consider Nexen which I have used on our old Corolla and been very impressed with. So I opted for the Nexen's (N Blue HD+ I think they are) which came in at £65 each. They ride beautifully and seem really soft and supple and grippy on the road and are very noticeably quieter in the cabin. Very good indeed so far.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Merlin5 said:

I need to replace two or three tyres

Generally you replace both tyres on an axle at the same time because they're both wearing out at broadly the same rate and you want the handling to be balanced, so fit identical tyres on each side of the axle, replacing both at the same time. Unless something unusual happens, like one gets damaged early in its life.

2 hours ago, Merlin5 said:

and one tyre shop showed me some that are £60 each, fitted. Is there a minimum price of tyre I should be looking at that would be good to buy? I don't want to spend £100+ but perhaps the tyres in the £50 to £60 range should be avoided

Focus on the make / brand of tyre rather than a particular price because depending on the tyre size and ratio, if you shop around £60 could buy you a tyre from a good or reasonable quality make, or a poor quality tyre from an generic, unknown make. 

Ring around a few local places to get prices and the make/model of tyre, then try a few of the online sites - National Tyre, Kwikfit, ATS etc as these sometimes have some good offers. 

For example, National Tyre selling Avon ZV7 £67 +£3 disposal fitted, reduced to £63/tyre if you buy 2 or 3. 15% off if you buy 4, so £60 each. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, AJones said:

Generally you replace both tyres on an axle at the same time because they're both wearing out at broadly the same rate and you want the handling to be balanced, so fit identical tyres on each side of the axle, replacing both at the same time. Unless something unusual happens, like one gets damaged early in its life.

Focus on the make / brand of tyre rather than a particular price because depending on the tyre size and ratio, if you shop around £60 could buy you a tyre from a good or reasonable quality make, or a poor quality tyre from an generic, unknown make. 

Ring around a few local places to get prices and the make/model of tyre, then try a few of the online sites - National Tyre, Kwikfit, ATS etc as these sometimes have some good offers. 

For example, National Tyre selling Avon ZV7 £67 +£3 disposal fitted, reduced to £63/tyre if you buy 2 or 3. 15% off if you buy 4, so £60 each. 

That's excellent, thanks. You're right, the Avon ZV7 works out £239.77 for four tyres. Would have cost the same for only three Dunlop Blue Responses. I've got four Avon tyres in the National Tyre basket and found one of their centres close to me where they can do it in Saturday. I was almost going to buy the Dunlop but if you think the Avons are good, shall I just go for those? 

Screenshot_20240321_222658_Opera.jpg

• Like 1

15 hours ago, AndrueC said:

This is why I currently have the same type of Falkens on my Corolla as it shipped with despite the criticisms levelled at them.

I don't understand the various criticisms of Falkens either Andrue. After receiving advisories, at last year's MoT, for cracking, deterioration etc. of the Dunlops, I had a set of Falken Sinceras fitted.

I can't fault them, for ride comfort, grip and/or noise.

A local independent place were no more expensive as the "big boys". Also, having used them before, I trust them.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Merlin5 said:

I've got four Avon tyres in the National Tyre basket and found one of their centres close to me where they can do it in Saturday. I was almost going to buy the Dunlop but if you think the Avons are good, shall I just go for those? 

You will most likely be happy with either make. It's more important you get some fresh rubber on the wheels than exactly what brand it is. For what it's worth, I've never felt cheated on tyres. You generally get what you pay for. The only exception is low production run, proprietary tyres, made for specific models. But that's irrelevant in your case as your car use completely standard tyres of one of the most common sizes. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Slartybartfast said:

I don't understand the various criticisms of Falkens either Andrue. After receiving advisories, at last year's MoT, for cracking, deterioration etc. of the Dunlops, I had a set of Falken Sinceras fitted.

I can't fault them, for ride comfort, grip and/or noise.

A local independent place were no more expensive as the "big boys". Also, having used them before, I trust them.

Had the same thing happened with a set of Dunlops so always avoid that make now, mid range tyres from the likes of Kumho and Landsail have been fine on my past Yaris cars and including my current one.

Well chaps, after much deliberation over the Avon, Dunlop and Goodyear, I thought I'd stretch my budget and I just bought 4 x Goodyear Efficientgrip Performance 2 tyres. 🙂 I liked the B and A rating for fuel and wetgrip and the very good reviews on it. Best deal I found was National Tyres/Halfords with their 15% discount, so I paid £321.37. I added front wheel tracking for £44.99 since I recently bumped the car over a kerb and it tends to veer left a little. Booked to be fitted on Monday morning. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

That'll get you the TonyHSD seal of approval - Those are his tyre of choice! :laugh: 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links