Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

At last... The new car is home!

CPN

6 hours ago, Cyker said:

Almost certainly a mistake; There's no such thing as "Direct Multipoint fuel injection".

Multipoint-point fuel injection, also known as port injection, is where fuel is injected just before each intake port valve (As opposed to single-point fuel injection, which happens nearer the throttle plate)

Direct injection is where fuel is injected directly into the combustion chamber.

I can only assume whoever wrote it thought it had both and left out the "and", as in "Direct and Multipoint fuel injection", or just plain didn't know what they were talking about and copied it down wrong.

Wrong either way :laugh: 

IMG_0998.png

• Like 1

On 4/10/2024 at 12:42 AM, CPN said:

Intriguingly, here are two images I got from Polish sites (where they are made)...

28800-K0020.thumb.png.74ce56bc2fc38d6f459f429139ba636c.png 28800-K0021.thumb.png.90f05b63528869c0a375bef7867f556a.png

Apparently, no difference in the spec! Curiouser and curiouser....

Also same bar code.

19 hours ago, CPN said:

Actually, in this "tell the difference" comparison montage, it's hard to see any difference at all...

IMG-20201001-WA0030.thumb.jpg.26ea8e9a4e6180a20c199ac4b57e686f.jpg PXL_20240410_132645032-EDIT.thumb.jpg.7d6c6f7e77b90969115b28a57c06c5d6.jpg

Puzzle for today... 🤔

Colour apart, I see a possible difference.

In the new one ( blue ) I don't see the dangling connector close to the hybrid system cooling fluid reservoir.  It seems a canbus connector with a protective cap. 

Pictures have been taken with a little different angle so maybe the connector is there and it's no easy to see. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, RickyC said:

Also same bar code.

Indeed. I didn't notice that...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, RickyC said:

Colour apart, I see a possible difference.

In the new one ( blue ) I don't see the dangling connector close to the hybrid system cooling fluid reservoir.  It seems a canbus connector with a protective cap. 

Pictures have been taken with a little different angle so maybe the connector is there and it's no easy to see. 

Looking better I see an additional black box in the center  ( see the arrow )

PXL_20240410_132645032-EDIT.jpg.d351b8d41b581a1c04906a8bacf7ceb1.thumb.jpg.2d7660cb539482b8eceb20c41cfd3921.jpg

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, RickyC said:

Looking better I see an additional black box in the center  ( see the arrow )

PXL_20240410_132645032-EDIT.jpg.d351b8d41b581a1c04906a8bacf7ceb1.thumb.jpg.2d7660cb539482b8eceb20c41cfd3921.jpg

My goodness Ricky, you've got eagle eyes! (better than me)

Yes, it appears to be some sort of sealed add-on chamber which is attached the air intake cross pipe that goes right across from right (attached to the airbox) to the left where there is an open scoop...

PXL_20240412_124728417.thumb.jpg.d04943454c8d30f46488ca708d00d225.jpg

Since there is nothing electrical attached to it and the only thing it is bonded to is that intake pipe, perhaps some sort of resonance chamber to cut down intake roar? (my GT86 had something similar in its air intake system)

I wonder if the same chamber is on the 115 ICE unit? (of this year's) Perhaps that's part of the noise reduction regime in the 2024 builds?

• Like 1

image.thumb.png.b752eab9fba289e22345715328112251.png

This is from the changes from the Yaris Cross for MY24 - I would guess the box is the resonator referred to on these changes

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, mr_blibby said:

This is from the changes from the Yaris Cross for MY24 - I would guess the box is the resonator referred to on these changes

It looks like you might be right Mike! I also checked the engine mountings and they are bigger with way more rubber around the main bolts so it looks like that has happened also on  the new Yaris (I'd already detected how much quieter it is than my Launch Edition I partexed...) Checked the firewall insulation and it also seems a lot thicker than it was so it looks as if all the changes on the Cross have been applied to the base Yaris also which makes sense money wise... The windscreen is now a Pilkington product so I wonder if that is the "acoustic glass" also?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mr_blibby said:

image.thumb.png.b752eab9fba289e22345715328112251.png

See I told you they read our forum 💯

• Haha 2

47 minutes ago, CPN said:

It looks like you might be right Mike! I also checked the engine mountings and they are bigger with way more rubber around the main bolts so it looks like that has happened also on  the new Yaris (I'd already detected how much quieter it is than my Launch Edition I partexed...) Checked the firewall insulation and it also seems a lot thicker than it was so it looks as if all the changes on the Cross have been applied to the base Yaris also which makes sense money wise... The windscreen is now a Pilkington product so I wonder if that is the "acoustic glass" also?

Great - sounds like the changes have made a material impact then vs the outgoing model

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Indeed. When I eventually get to do a long run in it, I'll be able to reinforce that feeling...

(....still waiting to do the most cancelled/postponed trip in a car!)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, CPN said:

My goodness Ricky, you've got eagle eyes! (better than me)

Yes, it appears to be some sort of sealed add-on chamber which is attached the air intake cross pipe that goes right across from right (attached to the airbox) to the left where there is an open scoop...

PXL_20240412_124728417.thumb.jpg.d04943454c8d30f46488ca708d00d225.jpg

Since there is nothing electrical attached to it and the only thing it is bonded to is that intake pipe, perhaps some sort of resonance chamber to cut down intake roar? (my GT86 had something similar in its air intake system)

I wonder if the same chamber is on the 115 ICE unit? (of this year's) Perhaps that's part of the noise reduction regime in the 2024 builds?

I was comparing the pictures with my one and I noted this difference.

The connector I was referring to is this one

1712934615277.thumb.jpg.7b69fa75554b11c770eb5f66e845c2b3.jpg

Looking the Red Baron engine bay picture I see it.  Maybe is still present also on the blue one.

ICE should be the same in both 115 and 130 versions so I expect that this resonance chamber is present also in  115 HP MY24 Yaris

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RickyC said:

The connector I was referring to is this one

1712934615277.thumb.jpg.7b69fa75554b11c770eb5f66e845c2b3.jpg

Looking the Red Baron engine bay picture I see it.  Maybe is still present also on the blue one.

Indeed it is but unlike the Red Baron (which is capped off) there is now an extra cable running to the bonnet catch? Perhaps an extra sensor for security? Also, the graphic on the dash now shows when the bonnet is open which the old car didn't do... (I suspect the latter)

PXL_20240412_165804086.thumb.jpg.0c1aa7be108756d6117778ba2d53bf3c.jpg

14 hours ago, CPN said:

Indeed it is but unlike the Red Baron (which is capped off) there is now an extra cable running to the bonnet catch? Perhaps an extra sensor for security? Also, the graphic on the dash now shows when the bonnet is open which the old car didn't do... (I suspect the latter)

PXL_20240412_165804086.thumb.jpg.0c1aa7be108756d6117778ba2d53bf3c.jpg

Or maybe they've added an electric blind behind front grille to reduce air access to heat exchager to help ICE warm up more quickly when external air is cold. 

5 hours ago, RickyC said:

Or maybe they've added an electric blind behind front grille to reduce air access to heat exchanger to help ICE warm up more quickly when external air is cold. 

I have had a good look and I can't see anything remotely suggesting such a thing...

It definitely seems to stop just below the catch itself but it's difficult to see the actual switch/sensor.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

At last we managed a long run today (200mile round trip) so I can start to share my thoughts about our shiny new Blue Demon!

First things first, please ignore the mpg in my sig as it is wrong. I made a mistake when entering our first full tank fuel up and because Fuelly caches stuff, the real measured figure of 56.8mpg, probably won't show until tomorrow. Not withstanding my mess up, I am really impressed with even 56.8 for a first neck to neck anyway! The Red Baron (my previous Launch Edition 2020 car) only managed 48.3 at its first so I am well impressed with Blue Demon's efforts and when you consider that everything will be a bit "tight" etc, that's a great result. Also, it wasn't that hot today either barely getting above 11-12 degrees C so that should be borne in mind...

So, what do I think of the new car and the way that the new (more powerful) drivetrain works? As an overall impression and please bear in mind that everything I may say is very subjective and just my opinion based on comparing it with my previous car, I would have to say that I am very impressed with the many improvements but also a bit frustrated with some of the annoyances!

One of the first things that hit us both as we settled down to a cruise at about 65mph was just how quiet it was inside compared to the Red Baron. When I opened the driver's window ajar (the top kept within the wind deflector depth) it didn't even seem to be as loud then either. In my opinion, they have certainly beefed up the insulation in some way or ways. You can still make the engine "growl" if you want but even that seems to be a bit more muted than before.

Most of the journey on the main roads (either dual carriageway or motorway) was completed using adaptive cruise control and this highlighted something straight away. There seems to have been a lot of improvements in the software department in regard to how things operate now. The system as a whole seems to be a lot less aggressive and "rough around the edges". Things like lane centring and speed matching are a lot smoother and more well controlled. Especially good now is the way it takes a curve when, for example, you go from one motorway to another at an intersection which usually involves some long sweeping slip road bends as you traverse from one to the other and some measure of speed reduction is usually required in the process. Guess what? It is now virtually automatic and oh so smooth in execution! First, it measures the bend well and steers it very gently with no jerks at all whilst at the same time gently slowing the vehicle in the process by some 10-15mph as you negotiate the bend and once the road straightens out again and you are on the next motorway, it gently regains the speed you were travelling at before! All in all, a very well managed process. The radar is also so good now it virtually never lost the lane markings or edge of the road once all the way there. Even around town it is so well mannered even at very slow speeds.

We tried the built-in Nav for a time and also Android Auto but eventually stayed with the latter as the built-in Nav is so old fashioned in terms of its display (a personal preference I know) and harks back to the days of TomTom displays. I'm afraid Google beats it hands down with a full screen of realistic looking landscapes from satellite shot overlays and is so much more relatable with what you are actually seeing on the road instead of spidery roadmaps with no features on it at all.

One nice change I really liked is that the interior rear view mirror can also go straight up and down now as well as the usual ball joint adjustment. This is particularly useful for people like myself with a 6'3" frame and also allows more of the windscreen between the top of the (bigger) head unit and the base of the mirror, to be clear and unobstructed ahead. Also at last they have separated the nav voice and audio stream properly in that you can adjust them separately now from the same control now (which didn't work at all well before). Anyway, I've probably gone on long enough for now so I'll finish this episode here and will offer some more thoughts later...

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, CPN said:

At last we managed a long run today (200mile round trip) so I can start to share my thoughts about our shiny new Blue Demon!

First things first, please ignore the mpg in my sig as it is wrong. I made a mistake when entering our first full tank fuel up and because Fuelly caches stuff, the real measured figure of 56.8mpg, probably won't show until tomorrow. Not withstanding my mess up, I am really impressed with even 56.8 for a first neck to neck anyway! The Red Baron (my previous Launch Edition 2020 car) only managed 48.3 at its first so I am well impressed with Blue Demon's efforts and when you consider that everything will be a bit "tight" etc, that's a great result. Also, it wasn't that hot today either barely getting above 11-12 degrees C so that should be borne in mind...

So, what do I think of the new car and the way that the new (more powerful) drivetrain works? As an overall impression and please bear in mind that everything I may say is very subjective and just my opinion based on comparing it with my previous car, I would have to say that I am very impressed with the many improvements but also a bit frustrated with some of the annoyances!

One of the first things that hit us both as we settled down to a cruise at about 65mph was just how quiet it was inside compared to the Red Baron. When I opened the driver's window ajar (the top kept within the wind deflector depth) it didn't even seem to be as loud then either. In my opinion, they have certainly beefed up the insulation in some way or ways. You can still make the engine "growl" if you want but even that seems to be a bit more muted than before.

Most of the journey on the main roads (either dual carriageway or motorway) was completed using adaptive cruise control and this highlighted something straight away. There seems to have been a lot of improvements in the software department in regard to how things operate now. The system as a whole seems to be a lot less aggressive and "rough around the edges". Things like lane centring and speed matching are a lot smoother and more well controlled. Especially good now is the way it takes a curve when, for example, you go from one motorway to another at an intersection which usually involves some long sweeping slip road bends as you traverse from one to the other and some measure of speed reduction is usually required in the process. Guess what? It is now virtually automatic and oh so smooth in execution! First, it measures the bend well and steers it very gently with no jerks at all whilst at the same time gently slowing the vehicle in the process by some 10-15mph as you negotiate the bend and once the road straightens out again and you are on the next motorway, it gently regains the speed you were travelling at before! All in all, a very well managed process. The radar is also so good now it virtually never lost the lane markings or edge of the road once all the way there. Even around town it is so well mannered even at very slow speeds.

We tried the built-in Nav for a time and also Android Auto but eventually stayed with the latter as the built-in Nav is so old fashioned in terms of its display (a personal preference I know) and harks back to the days of TomTom displays. I'm afraid Google beats it hands down with a full screen of realistic looking landscapes from satellite shot overlays and is so much more relatable with what you are actually seeing on the road instead of spidery roadmaps with no features on it at all.

One nice change I really liked is that the interior rear view mirror can also go straight up and down now as well as the usual ball joint adjustment. This is particularly useful for people like myself with a 6'3" frame and also allows more of the windscreen between the top of the (bigger) head unit and the base of the mirror, to be clear and unobstructed ahead. Also at last they have separated the nav voice and audio stream properly in that you can adjust them separately now from the same control now (which didn't work at all well before). Anyway, I've probably gone on long enough for now so I'll finish this episode here and will offer some more thoughts later...

Would love to echo your thoughts, but can't get near the other half's new premiere 🤪

But first impressions from her she really likes the updated Yaris - she was set not to as she couldn't get in black and wasnt keen on the blue (whic I really like). She went for silver metallic bitone.

Agreed, quieter, smoother, nice power/torque increase, much improved dash and HUD with now everything she wants displayed. Dark interior, ambient lighting, wireless charging and cloud sat nav all plus points and she kept BSM, JBL, HUD, dipping rear mirror. Seems better put together and no rattles yet and MPG looking healthy (don't have a figure but she's not mentioned it being lower).

No negatives to speak of - generally great update and as noted the software seems better all round - she says it genuinely feels like driver assistance now.

I will drive it at some point, but from a passenger and pensive partner perspective, I'm very happy too!

• Like 8

1 hour ago, trashman1965 said:

Would love to echo your thoughts, but can't get near the other half's new premiere 🤪

Lol! 🤣

But first impressions from her she really likes the updated Yaris - she was set not to as she couldn't get in black and wasnt keen on the blue (whic I really like). She went for silver metallic bitone.

I must admit that I would have liked a complete black one also if it had been available...

Agreed, quieter, smoother, nice power/torque increase, much improved dash and HUD with now everything she wants displayed.

I'd be interested in her findings re: the HUD? Has she found a way to change what it displays whilst actually on a journey yet or not? (as opposed to when standing still)

No negatives to speak of - generally great update and as noted the software seems better all round - she says it genuinely feels like driver assistance now.

I would echo her thoughts in that regard...

I will drive it at some point, but from a passenger and pensive partner perspective, I'm very happy too!

Great! Would also be interested in any further thoughts that you may have...

• Like 3

Just noticed that the Red Baron is now up for sale!

Screenshot2024-04-17173834.thumb.png.5c2db71769090f97ae44d867412d9532.png

Spot the mistake?!

• Like 3

Two different mileages.

Have you clocked it...😁

• Haha 4

Who moi?!! 😂 Of course not. The 14641 is correct, the other one isn't!! 🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I wouldn’t call it orange either.  

• Haha 4

11 minutes ago, anchorman said:

I wouldn’t call it orange either.  

Moi aussi!! 😂(but that's the official colour! I think that Toyota are colour blind!!)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, CPN said:

🤣

I'd be interested in her findings re: the HUD? Has she found a way to change what it displays whilst actually on a journey yet or not? (as opposed to when standing still)

Once set, she'll never change. I'll play if/when I get a chance (at my peril) but I expect like the screenwash and the exterior/interior nothing will be touched unless by me for the next few years 😄

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Is the 130 engine worth it? I was sat in the Premier the other day while waiting for my wife's car to be serviced. Very, very tempted. They fixed some of my annoyances with the current model, as well as it having some nice toys.

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links