Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Best Wax, Polish?

admanirv

Im wanting a wax for my t sport what do people suggest for a thunder grey t sport?.

ive been reading on here Meguiar's is good, ive been using turtle wax, seems okay.

Oh what the hell's the differnce between wax and polish?

:lol:

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• knightrider

• Yaris-Nut

• munkeyboy

• ferrariboyuk

Might as well just use normal good brand name stuff. Don't bother with all the expensive stuff and soap stones and that rubbish unless your a nutter. Does make it look good but lot of work and be honest maybe a bit sad.

i personally use turtle wash and turtle wax, seems to do the job

Ahh but it doesnt SHINE tho :P

Just look at Matthew McNallys lexus and thats got a killer shine, it makes hella difference

Just look at Matthew McNallys lexus and thats got a killer shine, it makes hella difference

what did he use then?

I use Meguires Wax, it comes in a brown coloured bottle & u get 1 of them applicator pads with it 2!

It costs £15 a bottle but it lasts for ages if u use the pad thats supplied.

Top quality shine from it!!!!!!!

I use AUTOGLYM super resin polish 1st then AUTOGLYM extra gloss protection.

i have been valeting for 13 years have a black Tsport that is immac.

But a good brand name polish is all about the same. :thumbsup:

I've decided to stop waxing my cars - every time I do something bad happens. The only time I waxed #2 it got written off the next day and the last (and only) time I waxed this one I went out to find it with half a bottle sticking in one of the new tyres :(

Guess I might give it another go at some point!

A

Ahh but it doesnt SHINE tho :P

you're making me blush :P

thanks! :D

I use Klasse polish and glaze, and pinnacle souveran wax.

I have not had a chance since getting the GS to do the full treatment - but here are some pics of it simply washed and polished using Klasse All In One

43600015_G_001.sized.jpg

43600016_G_001.sized.jpg

I think that looks OK - nice shine, especially on the first shot across the bonnet, and I do think it makes a difference.

As to the OP's original question, I would ask a few questions first.

How old is the car? What mileage?

What is the state of the paintwork?

Without knowing that info - I would suggest a very standard regime.

Thunder Gray is quite a light colour, isnt it? Therefore, you are not going to get a deep, wet looking shine on it - its simply the wrong colour.

So - we need to get the paintwork in the best condition we can.

clay it. Claying removes all the surface contamination. If the car is a more than a year old, I would say give it a good claying.

The use a good polish - get the paintwork shining.

Whether you wax or not is up to you. As the car is grey - its not going to go wet look. But it will be an excellent sacrificial layer ontop of your paintwork.

I will introducing a series of detailing articles soon. These will guide you on how to get your car sparkling :thumbsup:

what u trying 2 say matt <_<

my car shines onces it cleaned, ull see !!!

besides although his does look mighty impressive, he has a darker car so wil auto look better, will shine more compared to TG

From the Meguiars FAQ

There is a lot of confusion about the difference between a polish and a wax. Many manufacturers are marketing waxes as "polishes" and the terms have become almost interchangeable.

Professionals know there is a big difference. A polish is more like a paint conditioner that restores valuable oils to the paint, eliminates fine scratches and creates incredible high gloss not possible with waxes. An application of a pure polish should be followed by waxing to protect the shine and extend its life.

Meguiar's is one of the few companies that still offers car owners a true polish. All are non- abrasive and safe for all paints.

If you own a dark-color car, you'll see a dramatic difference if you use a polish.

Proper detailing takes at least three steps.

1: Cleaning - usining done with an abrasive paint cleaner, the level of abrasivness or agressiveness is determined by the condition of the paint. Claying maybe needed in some cases and at the extreme end some sort of very aggressive cleaner applied with a wool pad.

2: Polishing - Like the quite above says this like conditioner for paint, they tend to be non abrassive just help restore gloss.

3: Waxing - Waxing creates a sealant layer that protects your finish.

Check the vids on the Meguiars website when you have like 30mins to kill, explains it better than i ever could. Once the carcare manufacturer is reputable you should be able to find a product in each of the categories you like, I just happen to know and prefer Meguiar's.

Some shots of my during and after a recent detail, with thunder gray you won;t get as deep a gloss as black say but the results of a proper job will be noticable.

medium.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

1: Cleaning - usining done with an abrasive paint cleaner, the level of abrasivness or agressiveness is determined by the condition of the paint.  Claying maybe needed in some cases and at the extreme end some sort of very aggressive cleaner applied with a wool pad.

have to disagree with this point. You do not want to use any sort of abrasive cleaner at all, unless you need to.

The reason for this is two fold.

1 - its much easier to muck up your paintwork with an abrasive cleaner. You do not want to take the risk of swirling and scratching your paintwork.

2 - an abrasive cleaner is removing your paintwork. Yeah - its getting rid of oxidation etc - leaving nice looking paint. But - the paint on your car is a finite supply - you do not want to remove any more than you have to.

If your paintwork is oxidised or faded, or you have swirls, then you should attack those with the least agreesive product you can - and work your way up.

have to disagree with this point. You do not want to use any sort of abrasive cleaner at all, unless you need to.

The reason for this is two fold.

1 - its much easier to muck up your paintwork with an abrasive cleaner. You do not want to take the risk of swirling and scratching your paintwork.

2 - an abrasive cleaner is removing your paintwork. Yeah - its getting rid of oxidation etc - leaving nice looking paint. But - the paint on your car is a finite supply - you do not want to remove any more than you have to.

If your paintwork is oxidised or faded, or you have swirls, then you should attack those with the least agreesive product you can - and work your way up.

Sorry maybe i did not make that clear but that is what i meant. Even the hand use cleaner like the Meguiars deep crystal first step and scratchX are abbrasive, but mildly so and they use diminsihing abrasives i think. the step up from these products is claying, then as i said in extreme cases you use a machine applied compound.

Meguairs promotes exactly what you say start with the least aggresive potential solution first and only move toward more aggressive if you need too.

TarikB

I've got Autoglymn car shampoo, followed by a good chamois and then Turtle Wax.

Would also recommend MER - Use it on the bike, it does the job nicely.

That Meguiars stuff seems to be really popular - I'm off to Halfrauds this weekend to get some..... then I have not excuse not to clean and polish my car! :D

I use AUTOGLYM super resin polish 1st then AUTOGLYM extra gloss protection.

i have been valeting for 13 years have a black Tsport that is immac.

But a good brand name polish is all about the same.  :thumbsup:

Hello from one valeter to another :D i've been a valeter for 18yrs and also

have a black Tsport :lol: i too use Autoglym -supreme for me though :thumbsup:

kimi :wub:

kimi your car looks as clean as mine!

had enough of valeting now a plasterer.

where do u work??? :P

That Meguiars stuff seems to be really popular - I'm off to Halfrauds this weekend to get some..... then I have not excuse not to clean and polish my car!  :D

halfrauds do not sell meguire

everybody get ya self a bottle of autoglyms new ultra deep shine it makes ya car look HOTT hot its well good not bad price either at 11.99 i can recomend this its not bin out long i dont think.

kimi your car looks as clean as mine!

had enough of valeting now a plasterer.

where do u work??? :P

xtreme formally known as Ralliart UK :D

i'm a supervisor been there 5yrs i'm supervisoring myself at the moment

as my staff have left :help::lol:

as you're now a plasterer...

.....you wont know about supreme its esp for black cars but only available trade :rolleyes: have a word with your old rep :yes:

xtreme nice so dont want an evo then?

supervising your self???? what a bad girl u are :D

i will have a look for that polish thnx :P

everybody get ya self a bottle of autoglyms new ultra deep shine it makes ya car look HOTT hot its well good not bad price either at 11.99 i can recomend this its not bin out long i dont think.

:lol::rolleyes::lol::rolleyes::lol: its good aint it :lol::rolleyes::lol:

cough*supreme*cough

xtreme nice so dont want an evo then?

supervising your self???? what a bad girl u are :D 

i will have a look for that polish thnx :P

you know it then :D i get to drive them but not pay the insurance for them :thumbsup:

you should come along to the midlands meet end of month at bubble inn nr donninton park,be good to meet you :group-cuddles:

some branches of halfruads do stock Meguiars but not many

megiuars Em is available at car user in hinckely the one surrounded by speed bumps, the guy in there is a good chap i know him quite well now,

and as for 'mer' please dont swear in here, i used to use this stuff and after using megiuars id rather rub lard onto my paint than mer, i noticed alot of differeance on a black car between the 2 polishes but lighter you wont but either way ditch the mer and get sum megiuars,

mukey boy u can convoy with me if u get lost! :P

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links