Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New Impreza!

earpl

I myself have loved Subaru's since Colin Mcrae era ;)

I think the older subarus are now relatively cheap over here and loads of people have chaved them up... But I will still like them even the older style :)

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• scionic

• KidKoala

• Karma Supra

• Twincam.GTi

I think people need to seperate the performance Subarus from the chav'ed up 6 year old Impreza's they are thinking of.

I see plenty of chav'ed up Toyotas, alot more than I do Subarus, but it doesn't make me not like Toyotas or Toyota drivers. Same goes double for Honda. That is the #1 choice for idiots who like to put on a three level spoiler, ill-fitting body kit and tons of stickers here in the U.S., but i don't hate Civics just because some retards drive old Civics and make them look ridiculous.

I know what a good car is, I'll base my opinion of the car on it's own merits, not some contrived idea of the kind of person I think drives that car. That's just stupid.

Blind brand loyalty is stupid as well. You can love Toyota without hating their competition.

Subarus are not that well made.... they feel cheap..

Fairly well designed, and drive well when on top form...

But the big problem is the boxer engine....

When porsche, ect makea boxer engine, they used the finest alloys they can get....

Subaru being a "budget performance car" (I personally don't like bog standard cars that have "a quick one" I like my out and out performance cars/GTs) use less substantial alloys...

Due to the boxer engine, and the pistons sitting on their side they wear mainly at the bottom, causng the piston to take on a slightly oval shape *piston ovality*, and wear down in the bore, resulting in lost compression.

They are notorious for the oil feed for no.3 cyliylinder frying due to a poorly designed oil passage...

That "meaty" scooby sound coems from having a lop sided exhaust, the headers on one side being waaaay longer then the other side, makes the exhaust gasses flow in a "pulsing" way as opposed to a smooth way (like lets say for example, a supra straight 6, or a mazda rotary).

I know a guy (well my other half does) who had thatever the top spec scooby is you can buy in the uk... after a year or two motorway comuting the engine was totally knackered, he went to the dealership he bought it off, understandable irate... what did they say??

"this is a rally car, you can't drive it on the motorway for long periods of time, the engine won't take it" see "piston ovality"

Other disavantages include Anyone getting into one immediaty thinks they are Colin Mcrae.. I have seen countless scoobys on their roofs around the country lanes where I live! (and had to dive into even more hedges avoiding the tossers)

Not to mention how much subaru "cheapened" the entire gold wheels thing ;)

And being responsible for countless "scooby scoops" on novas, fiestas, etc... Clearly the driver of these things aspire to..... you guessed it.... a Scooby.

Whatever.

It just goes to show you can contrive reasons not to like anything if you try hard enough.

If you can't see that a $20k AWD compact estate with an LSD and 227 hp that does 0-60 in 5.4 seconds is a great thing then you're :censor: blind, sorry.

Maybe you're just unhappy because any WRX or EVO would rape your Supra and the estate version will do it while carrying 2 weeks groceries and 2 more passengers than you can.

Piston ovality my :censor: . Subaru's last, it's well known. In the U.S. at least, its common to see older Subaru's still on the road running fine. I've got a mate with a 1998 Forester with nearly 150,000 miles on it. Runs brilliantly. Pistons are still nice and round, I assure you.

Now,I do agree the older models felt a little cheap inside but no more so than any Toyota at the same price range. I guess you haven't sat in or driven in a new Legacy. Close to Audi quality interior. Nothing cheap there. A hell of a lot nicer than an Avensis, I'll tell you that.

We can just disagree of course, but I remain puzzled as to why anyone would hate a company that is doing more to put startling performance in the hands of the everyman then arguably any other right now. Toyota's attitude toward performance is a :censor: joke now. Unless you're a rich :censor: who can afford a Lexus sedan (which the WRX would still rape) or you want to buy an 8 year old car, you're out of luck with Mr. T. <_<

PLEASE WATCH YOUR LANGUAGE....

Edited by knowlson

Maybe if they didn't all drive like tossers, I'd warm to the cars more :D

"because its cheap" is an argument that will NEVER impress me, its like the honda guys saying "but thats from a 1600 n/a you know"

Unless you're a rich  :censor:  who can afford a Lexus sedan (which the WRX would still rape)

Nice. I used to have two soarer Twin turbos (SC300 to you). They were faster then a Scooby I can assure you, well built, too!

I don't like them, I said I don't like them, and I backed up what I said.

Your problem is????

Now then, where is that rusty spoon? :D

Karma Supra Posted Today, 10:22 AM

Maybe if they didn't all drive like tossers, I'd warm to the cars more 

:yes: Yes I think this is the problem, it Britain it really has appealed to the 'Wally Brigade'. Something I'm sure that some people at Subaru UK are themselves probabley a little red faced about from an 'image' point of view.

Karma Supra Posted Today, 10:22 AM

Maybe if they didn't all drive like tossers, I'd warm to the cars more 

:yes: Yes I think this is the problem, it Britain it really has appealed to the 'Wally Brigade'. Something I'm sure that some people at Subaru UK are themselves probabley a little red faced about from an 'image' point of view.

There are allways posts on SIDC or scoobynet about people driving like idiots. They know that everyone thinks scooby drivers are seen as :censor:'ers.....

My mate tom was on SIDC for a bit but he got a bit sick with the same old stuff on the site so thats why he comes to the TOC meets :lol::lol:

As i think its been said on here before Scoobys dont like being tuned up they have a tendancy to go pop if played with.

Thats why i have a MR2 turbo and ive played with the engine on that for years now and its still going strong *touches wood*

lol :D

Looks like I got pwn3d by the moderator there! :lol:

I guess it doesn't help when you've got moderators with personal grudges against you. :thumbsup:

Maybe if they didn't all drive like tossers, I'd warm to the cars more  :D

"because its cheap" is an argument that will NEVER impress me, its like the honda guys saying "but thats from a  1600 n/a you know"

Nice. I used to have two soarer Twin turbos (SC300 to you). They were faster then a Scooby I can assure you, well built, too!

I don't like them, I said I don't like them, and I backed up what I said.

Your problem is????

Now then, where is that rusty spoon?  :D

I guess I don't feel they are getting a fair shake and there is an unfair bias against them.

My problem is that you shouldn't have to be upper middle class and live in Something Upon Whatever with a mile long driveway and two hunting dogs in order to have a fast performance car.

The SC300's are nice. We never got the turbo version here.

I agree that a Lexus is nicer than a Subaru, but not everyone can afford a Lexus or wants to buy a n older used car. Some people are more focused on performance and handling and just don't care if they have leather and wood appointments and a rear end warmer in the seats.

My problem is that Toyota has forsaken those of us who can't afford or do not want a $35,000 sports car just to experience a thrill. Subaru has not and they DESERVE credit for that.

I never meant to dare compare the Impreza to the Supra or Lexus models. Instead compare the Impreza to Toyota's $20,000 5.4 sec 0-100 kmh AWD saloon.....oh wait.. THEY DON'T HAVE ONE.

It's easy to knock cars as "cheap" when you have the money to afford something nicer. Many people do not, and believe it or not, that doesn't make them bad people. They deserve the right to have a capable car as well.

This arguement is laughable.

"I won't drive a scooby because chavs have chaved them up" :lol:

Look at the state of some of the cars within this club, aerofix spoilers on 1.0 yaris's! come on... Toyota's get chaved up just as much, if not more than scoobys.

and to say the fall appart is :censor: , they are extremely reliable unless abused.

If I could afford the insurance, I'd have one sat on my drive right now.

Infact, I'm quite happy that you share the opinions that I do on muscle cars, how are they amazing cars?

It's this sort of mentality...

We'll stick in as big an engine as possible, that'll be a quick way of producing lots of power, then we'll use kart springs for suspension, seeing as there aren't many corners in america...

The end result is a lazy engine that guzzles fuel, and is outperformed by engines of less than half the displacement, and a car that handles like a truck.

My problem is that you shouldn't have to be upper middle class and live in Something Upon Whatever with a mile long driveway and two hunting dogs in order to have a fast performance car.

Now Now, thats not fair... its only half a mile long, and only one of them is a hunting dog :rolleyes:

I'm not knocking cheap cars, I'm merely pointing out "because its cheap" it does not make it BETTER :thumbsup: Trust me When it comes to "value performance cars" I'd say I get a very good "bang for your buck" -with a bit of luxury thrown in...

Anyway.. Who cares..

I'm sat in a meeting here and people are wondering why I am typing so franticly :ph34r::lol:

lol :D

Looks like I got pwn3d by the moderator there! :lol:

I guess it doesn't help when you've got moderators with personal grudges against you. :thumbsup:

We have a swear filter that would normally block out people swearing. But you where putting $$ to try and get round it. So you got modded. Thats it next time use the :censor:

Now Now, thats not fair... its only half a mile long, and only one of them is a  hunting dog  :rolleyes:

I'm not knocking cheap cars, I'm merely pointing out "because its cheap" it does not make it BETTER  :thumbsup: Trust me When it comes to "value performance cars" I'd say I get a very good "bang for your buck" -with a bit of luxury thrown in...

Oh come on man, don't take his comments so literally.

Of course he knows cheaper isn't necessarily better.

The point here is, Subaru offer a VERY GOOD car, which IS affordable, which IS reliable, which DOES handle.

You have already admitted that your problem with the cars is the owners, and that is just anal :thumbsup:

Infact, I'm quite happy that you share the opinions that I do on muscle cars, how are they amazing cars?

We'll stick in as big an engine as possible, that'll be a quick way of producing lots of power, then we'll use kart springs for suspension, seeing as there aren't many corners in america...

The end result is a lazy engine that guzzles fuel, and is outperformed by engines of less than half the displacement, and a car that handles like a truck.

That about sums it up, yeah. :thumbsup:

scionic Posted Today, 12:01 PM

QUOTE(KidKoala @ Apr 19 2005, 11:50 AM)

That about sums it up, yeah.

:lol::lol: I guess so but...I love 'em :drool:

wellusedTransam.jpg

Ignorance is bliss :lol: as for the sound of a gas guzzling V8 ... :drool::drool::drool::drool::drool:

ive driven a few wrx's, havent driven a evo yet, but how u can ever compare them to a supra tt i dont know?????? a supra feels like a sports car, the scooby felt like a family car on steriods. and not very strong ones at that!!! to sum it up........the look of anguish on the guys face driving his wrx sti, as i go flying past him. priceless.

not worth the money.

i'll get my coat. hee hee

Now Now, thats not fair... its only half a mile long, and only one of them is a  hunting dog  :rolleyes:

I'm not knocking cheap cars, I'm merely pointing out "because its cheap" it does not make it BETTER  :thumbsup: Trust me When it comes to "value performance cars" I'd say I get a very good "bang for your buck" -with a bit of luxury thrown in...

Oh come on man, don't take his comments so literally.

Of course he knows cheaper isn't necessarily better.

The point here is, Subaru offer a VERY GOOD car, which IS affordable, which IS reliable, which DOES handle.

You have already admitted that your problem with the cars is the owners, and that is just anal :thumbsup:

Dispite being the lowest form of wit... my sarcasm is clearly wasted on you ;)

Subaru STi ... ... Sexually Transmitted Infection

What idiot came up with those initials for a car!

:lol::lol::lol:

Subaru STi ... ... Sexually Transmitted Infection

What idiot came up with those initials for a car!

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

:D :D :lol::thumbsup:

When you can get a Caldina GT4 or Celica GT4 for a reasonable price at any Toyota dealership in the U.S. or UK without waiting months to order, then Toyota can say they are on equal footing with Subaru in that arena.

Its not a special order car. Over in the US when they still sold the GT4 it was called the All-Trac. Maybe you remember it? Anyway was better than the Evo/Scooby in most ways. If they still produced them now we would be looking at 350bhp versions rolling off the line at least ;)

I've got a mate with a 1998 Forester with nearly 150,000 miles on it. Runs brilliantly. Pistons are still nice and round, I assure you.

Not the same engine i think you'll find...

I never meant to dare compare the Impreza to the Supra or Lexus models. Instead compare the Impreza to Toyota's $20,000 5.4 sec 0-100 kmh AWD saloon.....oh wait.. THEY DON'T HAVE ONE.

Yes they do, just not for the US....

The scooby just isnt what people on here like/want, thats all it is.

You cant argue that the fiat Multipla is really good at what it does (carry lots of people), doesnt mean we HAVE TO like the ugly car/van thing :thumbsup:

Everyone is entitled to their opinions, freedom of speech and all that....

....just that you are in the minority as most of us hate subaru's :)

ive driven a few wrx's, havent driven a evo yet, but how u can ever compare them to a supra tt i dont know?????? a supra feels like a sports car, the scooby felt like a family car on steriods. and not very strong ones at that!!!  to sum it up........the look of anguish on the guys face driving his wrx sti, as i go flying past him. priceless.

not worth the money. 

i'll get my coat.  hee hee

The WRX Impreza is a different kind of car than a Supra.

It's more for the type of person who wants AWD and/or the practicality afforded by a saloon or estate but doesn't want to spend Audi money and get Audi reliability. Supra's are for people who want RWD sports cars. Different kind of customer usually. Then again, a sports car shape has nothing to do with performance, except for a bit of an aerodynamic edge. The Supra is certainly alot prettier than anything Subaru has ever made though. :thumbsup:

The WRX STI we get here is a 2.5 liter with 300 bhp and 300 lbft of torque. There are only a small handful of cars faster than it and they are all quite expensive and none of them has a chrome stylized "T" on the bonnet. I don't know what you drive, but if it doesn't do 0-60 mph in less than 4.9 seconds then the only look of anguish will be yours I'm afraid. A highly modified Supra with 400+ hp could run with it though, I'm sure. As long as the roads are dry.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links