Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Ignis Sport Or T- Sport?

Baby Yari

Basically, what the title says!!!

I'm wanting to upgrade soon and had my heart set on a T-sport but with the introduction of the Suzuki Ignis Sport, I now cant decide!!

I know its a Suzuki and all that, but I really like em! There slightly nippier than the Yari with a couple of extra bhp but the price diff is massive. A year old Zuki with very little mileage can be picked up for easily a bit less than 6k where as a 3 year old Yari is priced pretty similar but with more mileage. And how much rarer are they!

I realise its a Suzuki before you all go off on one but i'd like some opinions please! What do ya think!??

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baby Yari

• Demonic Angel

• scionic

• earpl

Yaris - all the way! They are more expensive but you pay for the quality! :thumbsup:

Edited to add: If you ask peoples opinions on a Toyota forum - then you will find we are all pretty biased I'm afraid! :yes:

I realise its a Suzuki before you all go off on one but i'd like some opinions please! What do ya think!??

[/quoteA friend at work has one, and if the Tsport is finished to a similar standard as my VitzRS the comaprison on the inside is like chalk on cheese. the vitz wins hands down. Like you say the Ignis does have a bit more pep and being closely related to the JWRC car does not hurt.

Like Demonic said, most of the folks on here will come down in favor of the yaris/vitz.

I don't actually own a Toyota yet, so I'm not biased... :D

While the specs of the Suz seem quite good compared to the Yaris TS, IMHO it doesn't look nearly as good as the Yaris. I also suspect it'll depreciate faster, plus I bet any Suzuki forum out there isn't as good as this one ;)

Baby Yari,

here's one for you.

We have an '02 reg Yaris SRI (what a car) and our friend has a '54 plate Ingis Sport. We have just spent the day in Scarborough and had a bit of fun on the way back.

Now while having that fun, we dropped him on the slightly twisty sections at 98mph. Left him standing (although he was making a lot of noise) at the lights (35 in 1st and 65 in 2nd, he cant touch it)

So when we got back to our house about 20 mins ago, he demanded to know what we had under the bonnet. He admitted that he couldnt keep up with us and he had screwed it off the mark at the lights.

So, our experience is, the Yari is faster, handles better and, well as for looks, there is nothing to say there!

Rant over!

had a bit of fun on the way back.

Now while having that fun, we dropped him on the slightly twisty sections at 98mph. Left him standing (although he was making a lot of noise) at the lights (35 in 1st and 65 in 2nd, he cant touch it)

I thought the national speed limit was 60 MPH on twisties :(

Keep the 98 MPH for the track days...................or don't boast about it on these forums :o

OK, yes, most of us are going to be biased on a Toyota forum but let's see...

Ignis is 0.1sec faster to 62mph. That's a tiny plus point for it. Minus point, the Ignis Sport has rear drum brakes instead of discs....

No, sorry, I can't do this any longer! :lol:

It comes down to.....

this

ig2.jpg

or

this

ig3.jpg

Your choice, of course but I know where my money would go. :thumbsup:

I considered Ignis when I was looking for a car... got a TS and have seldom looked back (only when I see GT4's)...

the Ignis is a good car... I don't get people who say that Suzukis are unreliable - they really are... if I remember right then they have a very similar engine with the TS... handle well, look ok and are cheaper...

but I remember that the things that turned me down were rear drum brakes and that ugly yellow net in the otherwise great seats...

I went in recently to look at the ignis sport.

The one i saw was the same as this one, but in yellow, with all the graphics, alloys, and front fogs going for just under 10k for that car with all the extra's, the standard ignis sport was a grand cheaper for nothing but standard.

suki3.jpg

suzuki2.jpg

To be honest, the build of the Suki was not as good as the yaris i thought in my opinion. The boot space is really small as the in the yaris you get a lot more room. The interior looked ok, it's nearly the same as toyota interior but a bit tacker lol :lol: , the rear seats had little space for legs if you are tall. But i do like the look of it to be honest if you was a little person like me. It looks fun to drive, but i guess the t-sport is too.

So i guess i would consider a yaris t-sport, even though i don't own a yaris. Or how about looking at a mitsubishi colt turbo :P

I'd say it depends on your priorities.

The Toyota is going to offer a bit better reliabilty, higher resale and a nicer interior. That said, if you're buying used, the depreciation of the Suzuki works for you, not against you and Suzuki reliablity is still pretty good. Drum rear brakes aren't a huge disadvantage, I have them and my car stops more than satisfactorily. I think all the non-T-sport Yari have drums and all the Yaris variants sold here in the U.S. have rear drums. On a front wheel drive, front engined little car like this you are using 80-90% front brakes anyway. Disc fade less than drums but unless you are doing alot of fast mountain driving you're unlikely to notice. The one minor advantage of drums is they do a better job of containing brake dust which keeps your rear wheels clean.

But, I've read several reviews on the Ignis Sport and the reviewers all raved about the suspension tuning and fun-to-drive factor. The reviews of the Yaris t-sport are pretty favorable, but I have seen any raving about the handling/performance in the same way.

The smart thing to do would be to test drive both. Don't let the biased opinions on a Toyota or Suzuki forum sway you one way or the other.

I'm all for the Colt Turbo too, if the insurance isn't much higher. :thumbsup:

I have a T-Sport and love it. We needed a second car for my missus about six months ago and theres a suzuki dealership nearby so we had a look. The Ignis is a smart looking little car and on paper looked really good.

What attracted us initially was the price - the dealership had knocked 3k off a new one. So we trundled down and had a look. As mentioned it doesnt look too bad - sort of 'solid' looking and it has a nice seating position - nice and high up with good visibility.

We live in a village off the A14(dual carriageway) and my wife works about 20mins along it, then up a farm track. With this in mind we took the Ignis along the road with me following in the Yaris. Then we swapped for the return trip.

First thing you notice is that its seriously noisy compared the yaris. Then you notice things like its high seating position is due to the car being higher and therefore body roll is more noticeable (my yaris hadnt been lowered at this stage before you ask!).

Then theres the interior - whereas its kind of shall we say 'funky' Im not sure what itd be like after a couple of years of hard use?

All in all though these were the only issues we had with it - we were all set to go and buy it when my dad announced he was having a new car and my wife was getting the old one as a present!

Does that help ?

There is one of these Ignis sports near me (with all the graphics on it). I must say it looks nice and sporty.

They are the same performance wise (I coulda swore they had the same engine). I would test drive both and then you'll know :)

I personally think the Yaris will feel more solid and comfortable. You get what you pay for.

They are the same performance wise (I coulda swore they had the same engine). I would test drive both and then you'll know :)

Yea I meant to ask about that a while ago the engine in the Ignis is called a 1.5 VVT is it in anyway the same as the TS engine at all. As regards buying one i can see where your coming from but NO, now don’t get me wrong nice car and all but she is no Yaris at all. Now if was a case of being on a budget then you could do a whole lot worse.

hmm they are cheap but i do prefer the look of the yaris the paneling on the sides of the ignis reminds me too much of the rav4

Well, I think they look quite cool, and are different to everything else on the road. But in the end, the Yaris will probably "feel" nicer. But that's for you to find out and decide :)

Does the Ignis have 4 wheel drive? I heard it did and therfore stuck to the road like nothing else!

I'd go for the Yaris but make sure you test drive both 1st! :thumbsup:

Does the Ignis have 4 wheel drive? I heard it did and therfore stuck to the road like nothing else!

I'd go for the Yaris but make sure you test drive both 1st! :thumbsup:

Yeah they do do an Ignis 4-wheel drive but its called the 4-grip i think but the engine size may be the same but with less hp.

But thanks hugely for all your comments!!! Spose its all gunna come down to the test driving of the cars when the time comes!!

And anything with the letters T U R B O in it is way out the question!!! A 21 year old with 6 points on his license doesnt sit favourable with the insurance companies i can tell you!!

OK, yes, most of us are going to be biased on a Toyota forum but let's see...

Ignis is 0.1sec faster to 62mph. That's a tiny plus point for it. Minus point, the Ignis Sport has rear drum brakes instead of discs....

No, sorry, I can't do this any longer!  :lol:

It comes down to.....

this

ig2.jpg

or

this

ig3.jpg

Your choice, of course but I know where my money would go.  :thumbsup:

And im afraid to say that these pics do both cars justice mate! Both nice looking motors!

And im afraid to say that these pics do both cars justice mate! Both nice looking motors!

What! I still think the Ignis looks gross in the pic I posted of it and I wasn't even trying. Oh and in the metal it looks even worse. I pass a Suzuki dealers each day on the way from work... as quickly as legally possible. ;)

Ah well, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, they say. :yes:

a mate of mine recently bought one of them ignis things (we both had same clios before hand) - i have to say i think they are pretty crappy looking!! not keen at all. Yaris is definitely one of the classier cars about these days, and its great fun to drive!

Well, like Mr Winkey... iv come across one of these sports... all liveried up and it struggled to keep up around twisties, but once on dual carriageway it pulled away like a TS... As it should, it's way quicker... but twisties it was Slooooow!

Iv been in a standard Ignis and it was horrid. For a start, my Matiz had more cabin room and it was all incredibly tacky and quite dull. It was very roly-poly and harsh riding on the roads too. Not my cup of tea at all.

There's a new Swift out now.... looks pretty smart... 1.5 GLX (just about same power as TS) and brand new is only £9k without discount. Plus loaded with kit.

Yeah really like the look of the new Swift. Could have lots of modding potential

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links