Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Corolla T-sport 03 Plate Gearbox Noise

bert.tsport

glanzav you can book in to any toyota dealer's for warrenty repaired works.

Spuffington you not suppose to have these problem's with celica's,they are 100% built in japan! :D glad you sorted it all out,my explanation is the manager must had some fun in your celica before it was sold to you.

when it come to any ,Ex demo car's , leasing high or average mileage car's or car's belong to a employee of a dealership (hence log book registered first owner to a dealership) BECAREFUL ! they could be abuse by the way they been driven by god know's how many people's ? look at it this way anycar's belong to a dealership can and properly does get driven by almost everyone who works there and custimers too, these car's can never relax to run at the same driving style setting cos so many peoples been driven in it,in all differnt style's of driving ,whats worst are this happen's during running in times,i do believe all car's can be repaird and fixed to high stardard again but how well will the car last in the long run? thats what you have to think about if you intend to keep a car for a long time.

i would rather buy a car at a bottom price with high mileage and no service history than to buy a car for average price with full service histroy that had been abuse from day 1.

bert.tsport i think they will fixed your car to your satisfactory,there is no reason for them not to, but i will wait for the good news from you before i open the champagne.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bert.tsport

• T128

• K19NE G

• St3ve

Top Posters In This Topic

Just had word mine *should* be ready to collect later this evening (It's having a little paintwork done at the mo).

Service chap had to replace all the bearings in the gearbox, not sure of the exact cause, but has said there is still a small whine.

Looking forward to taking the Yaris 1.Poo back :!Removed!:

:D

hi all, the dealers have just contacted me to advise me they will be having my car in next tues to investigate the gearbox and clutch assembly. they are replacing the ecu to cure dimming lights too.. fingers crossed, all will be well. will report back when the car is fixed next week. :thumbsup:

bert

My Tsport has a rattle that appears to come from behined the dash when accellerating and deaccellerating. It dissappears when pressing the clutch. Is this a problem or just normal for this car, can anyone help.

Sorry to keep this post running guys but I've noticed a few things regarding transmission problems after having my T Sport for a couple of days now:

1) That clutch smell appears, especially when reversing, even if it's only a small distance. Does this mean my clutch is slipping or is it just inherent in the TSport and something I have to put up with? I don't really mind the smell as long as I know it's not damaging the transmission or wearing the clutch excessively.

2) When at very low speeds and you're in too high a gear (say you're almost rolled to a stop, then try to take off in 2nd gear) there's a distinct rattling noise from the clutch/gearbox/engine - not sure which!? I know most cars do this as the engine is about to stall when in too high a gear at low speed, but the rattle is fairly loud even from inside the car with the windows closed. Any suggestions?

Sorry to keep this post running guys but I've noticed a few things regarding transmission problems after having my T Sport for a couple of days now:

1) That clutch smell appears, especially when reversing, even if it's only a small distance. Does this mean my clutch is slipping or is it just inherent in the TSport and something I have to put up with? I don't really mind the smell as long as I know it's not damaging the transmission or wearing the clutch excessively.

2) When at very low speeds and you're in too high a gear (say you're almost rolled to a stop, then try to take off in 2nd gear) there's a distinct rattling noise from the clutch/gearbox/engine - not sure which!? I know most cars do this as the engine is about to stall when in too high a gear at low speed, but the rattle is fairly loud even from inside the car with the windows closed. Any suggestions?

hi,

my 03 t-sport is in the garage at my dealers today, to sort my clutch/transmission noise. as far as i know its having a new clutch and bearing, and the gearbox checking out. the bearings in the box were changed 3mths ago. hope it will be sorted tomorrow.

as for the noise you get at low revs in high gear, i can make mine make that noise too. it sounds like the inners of the cat rattling to me??

keep the revs up a bit more and it wont do it. :thumbsup:

hi,

just had my cts returned by dealers.

its like driving a different car! they replaced the complete clutch set and replaced the ecu for dimming light probs.

the clutch is so much easier to use and i can feel the bite point better...

the gears are like silk...

it goes like stink too, the old clutch must of been slipping a bit...

the smile is back ... for now.. :yes::yes::yes:

thanks for all your advice.

bert :thumbsup:

The clutch smells each time it is burned and it may have already accumulated a lot of damage. Not normal for a new car, but very frequent for CTS. It was defective and needs replacement.

A good clutch or properly adjusted (Toyota says that it is not adjustable!) in CTS does not smell that easily. The problem is related to the fact that your clutch pedal has long travel upwards before the clutch disk fully engages and you cannot remove your foot fast enough to avoid slipping-burning. In rear direction, you simply keep your foot on the clutch longer time for safety reasons (speed control).

My replaced clutch stands at a much lower position and engages much faster. Less convenient for driving, more difficulty to change gears in winter, but obviously this is the right clutch. In the last 10 months, I felt clutch smell only once in trafic jam uphill when I operated the pedals as needed to minimize any sliding backwards.

The clutch smells each time it is burned and it may have already accumulated a lot of damage. Not normal for a new car, but very frequent for CTS. It was defective and needs replacement.

A good clutch or properly adjusted (Toyota says that it is not adjustable!) in CTS does not smell that easily. The problem is related to the fact that your clutch pedal has long travel upwards before the clutch disk fully engages and you cannot remove your foot fast enough to avoid slipping-burning. In rear direction, you simply keep your foot on the clutch longer time for safety reasons (speed control).

My replaced clutch stands at a much lower position and engages much faster. Less convenient for driving, more difficulty to change gears in winter, but obviously this is the right clutch. In the last 10 months, I felt clutch smell only once in trafic jam uphill when I operated the pedals as needed to minimize any sliding backwards.

Thanks for the info - makes sense why it only seems to happen in reverse. Rather than going to Toyota every couple of weeks, I'm going to see what 'faults' accumulate over the next month or so and take a list to them! LOL! Nothing too serious at the moment anyway, but I'm a bit of a perfectionist so will want the car as near to perfect as possible...

Thanks for the info - makes sense why it only seems to happen in reverse. Rather than going to Toyota every couple of weeks, I'm going to see what 'faults' accumulate over the next month or so and take a list to them! LOL! Nothing too serious at the moment anyway, but I'm a bit of a perfectionist so will want the car as near to perfect as possible...

get your clutch replaced, mine is so much better now. im an engineer and i pick up on these little imperfections easily, but the way i see it , you pay for a nice car so you want it to be just right! the japanese wont except any imperfections off british made products imported into japan, so why should we except a toyota with imperfections? theres nothing wrong with being a perfectionist when you have to work hard to pay for your motor... ;)

anyways, im happy my cts is sorted now :) , no grinding noise from gearbox under engine breaking, no smelly clutch, no dimming lights, no stubborn gear changing anymore.. and the bite point on clutch is right near the bottom... just how i like it :yes:

fingers crossed it will stay that way, i must admit my confidence has taken a big knock with all problems in 6 mths of ownership.. see how it goes. :thumbsup:

bert

nothing to do so i will add a few more problem's on here regarding the awesome cts

if your cts has a serious rattle sound from engine area (please note: if you have window close it might sound like is coming from the dash) when pulling away or low rev's high gears ,then you could well have a worn auxilary drive belt tensioner,you should get it repaired ASAP cos it drives like poo :thumbsup:.

yes it is under warrenty.

if anyone are having excessive tyres wear, dont just check your wheels alignment your need to check all your camber's too.

it does cost more to have the camber's check but is worth it ,atleast you know for sure if your wheels are pointing the right way or not. :thumbsup:

K19NE G if you want the a car as near to perfect as possible then you got the wrong car,there many little problems with the cts will need to be fixed either by you or your toyota dealers

now the good news are almost all problem's are 100% cureable except the gearbox nosie and burning clutch smells,so you cant ever think the cts are a perfect car when all of us are having same problem's with the same car facelift or no facelift.

K19NE G if you want the a car as near to perfect as possible then you got the wrong car,there many little problems with the cts will need to be fixed either by you or your toyota dealers

now the good news are almost all problem's are 100% cureable except the gearbox nosie and burning clutch smells,so you cant ever think the cts are a perfect car when all of us are having same problem's with the same car facelift or no facelift.

Point taken, but didn't mean 'perfect' to be meant so literally! I'll take it to Toyota in a month or so when I've assessed everything.... Thanks for all the feedback though!

Just my 2p worth...

clutch smell - I used to get this a lot but I guess I've learnt how to drive the car without stressing the clutch. My driveway is quite steep so I used to over-rev it to get the car into the garage.

"grinding" sound from the gearbox - is this the noise you get when you're in a low gear and using the engine to slow the car down? eg. slowing from 30 in second? I used to get this but I just change up or use the brakes instead.

I never have any problems changing gear.

I've got a 20k service coming up in a couple of weeks so I'm going to ask them to check the clutch and transmission (and the lift bolts!!) for any problems while it's booked in.

Overall, I'm impressed with the cts - it's really grown on me.

Just my 2p worth...

clutch smell - I used to get this a lot but I guess I've learnt how to drive the car without stressing the clutch. My driveway is quite steep so I used to over-rev it to get the car into the garage.

"grinding" sound from the gearbox - is this the noise you get when you're in a low gear and using the engine to slow the car down? eg. slowing from 30 in second? I used to get this but I just change up or use the brakes instead.

I've got a 20k service coming up in a couple of weeks so I'm going to ask them to check the clutch and transmission (and the lift bolts!!) for any problems while it's booked in.

Oh don't get me wrong... I LOVE the TSport but am just worried I may be damaging the transmission if I just let things be, so better to be safe than sorry and get it all checked out.

Now I've the TTE back box and K&N induction kit the car sounds excellent too.... Nice and throaty!!! ;)

:)

Just my 2p worth...

Oh don't get me wrong... I LOVE the TSport but am just worried I may be damaging the transmission if I just let things be, so better to be safe than sorry and get it all checked out.

Now I've the TTE back box and K&N induction kit the car sounds excellent too.... Nice and throaty!!! ;)

My T-sport 51 plate has 36700 miles. I have the same engine/transmission noise as the above posts since I got it (17k) and it seems this is the way it is. My older Corolla 1.3 had the same characteristic. Therefore not something to worry about.

I have had all the rattles as per previous posts and also strangely 2 shocks replaced at the front but could be the track I use for work.

My overall view is that the TS is not bullet proof as Toyota would like us to think (my older 1.3 was but built in Japan), but generally well put together (except the radio) and the lift still brings a smile to my face and I use it regularly. The paint work around the front bumper is a bit soft and prone to chipping. I do miss the torque and you have to drop down gears quite a lot to get the most out if it, but when you do it takes a few other drivers by surprise!

Dont bother with a K & N OEM replacement filter as there is no real performance increase or feel to the car except a 1 -2 mpg improvement.

Dont bother with a K & N OEM replacement filter as there is no real performance increase or feel to the car except a 1 -2 mpg improvement.

It's not an OEM replacement filter that I have! It's an induction kit as per my other thread! It DOES make a difference!

It's not an OEM replacement filter that I have! It's an induction kit as per my other thread! It DOES make a difference!

Sorry, maybe my response, just commenting on the OEM replacement filter as having little benefit but I appreciate the Typhoon kit does (15hp at 7800revs???)

Just my 2p worth...

there is nothing wrong with the way we all drives the cts,the clutch smell and gearbox noise are a know issue for the cts ,i think you will find when you mention the problems to your toyota dealer they either tell you everything is ok or they will try slap you a bill for a complete new clutch and blame you for burning the clutch,only then you will find out is not the way we all drive the cts,unless you are made of money you WILL try to claim warrenty from it then it cant be the way we drive the car can it,O and when you mention the lift bolts be prepare to look stupid cos they will tell you they are unbreakable and no one ever reported any problem with the lift bolts.

i use to think my cts is very soild but no way i feel the same now,i have had all the problems other's had encounter with there cts ,some i cure myself :thumbsup: some had to take it toyota dealer to be fixed :censor: ,either way cts is not good soild bulit car so many problem's and almost all toyota dealer's are nob's only one or two are willing to look at and understand the problems and try to do there very best to fixed it.

K19NE G the k&nTyphoon kit looks very nice for the cts it fits prefect :thumbsup: ,please do not forget to take it off when you make any warrenty claim most toyota dealers are nob's and will invaild your warrenty any chance they get and once they do they will enter in there computer for other toyota nob's to see, dont bother looking for help from toyota GB they dont care and will tell you is down to the dealers.

i dont regret choosing or buying the cts but i do regret buying a car from toyota GB, TOYOTA JAPAN do not have any control over TOYOTA GB anymore,if i knew this is the case like i do now no way i be buying any toyota GB cars,we are buying a british company car with a japanese name which is why so many problem's with cts and other british made TOYOTA's,maybe nick johnson is right honda are the way to go atleast honda still have control of there own company's worldwide.

if you are want proof what i said above just look at the Toyota Aygo and Peugeot 107 i rest my case.

K19NE G the k&nTyphoon kit  looks very nice for the cts it fits prefect :thumbsup: ,please do not forget to take it off when you make any warrenty claim most toyota dealers are nob's and will invaild your warrenty any chance they get and once they do they will enter in there computer for other toyota nob's to see, dont bother looking for help from toyota GB they dont care and will tell you is down to the dealers.

LOL! That answers a question from a post I put up a few minutes ago!!! Will I also have to remove the TTE back box???

there is nothing wrong with the way we all drives the cts,the clutch smell and gearbox noise are a know issue for the cts

I'm not saying anyone drives their cts incorrectly - I was just suggesting a bit of car "sympathy" ;)

O and when you mention the lift bolts be prepare to look stupid cos they will tell you they are unbreakable and no one ever reported any problem with the lift bolts.

Fortunately my local dealer is well aware of the lift bolt issue.

Fmrl i have giving the cts loads of sympathy in fact i have defended this car many times , but the facts are cts are not upto standard of a new car or even a 5 year old car and does get worst by days.

ok you have good toyota dealer there,but a lot of UK toyota dealers are nobs will make people feel like crap when you ask qustion's they cannot answer and believe me you goto some dealer to claim warranty work done you have to put up a fight.

i am sick to death when toyota dealers or other member's on here go on about how reliable TOYOTA are ,they use to be but NOT ANYMORE

i am also sick to death of some of these serivce !Removed!'s(not all but some) know nothing about cars and give you attitude when you book in for warranty repaired and when i go collect the car i ask what did you repaired under warranty the reply were "go home and read for yourself" then i raise my voice and told her if you dont have time to explain to ME the CUSTOMER about the work carry out on MY car,i am sure the manager will have time for me she change her attitude very fast and pretend to be helpful but you can clearly tell she know nothing about cars (makes me wonder why she is working in a car dealership) so i left it at that.

when you have a problem with toyota dealer over warranty works on your car,the only person to blame are the service manager and no one else .

K19NE G TTE parts are fine no need to take them off. :)

Fmrl i have giving the cts loads of sympathy in fact i have defended this car many times , but the facts are cts are not upto standard of a new car or even a 5 year old car and does get worst by days.

ok you have good toyota dealer there,but a lot of UK toyota dealers are nobs will make people feel like crap when you ask qustion's they cannot answer and believe me you goto some dealer to claim warranty work done you have to put up a fight.

i am sick to death when toyota dealers or other member's on here go on about how reliable TOYOTA are ,they use to be but NOT ANYMORE

i am also sick to death of some of these serivce !Removed!'s(not all but some) know nothing about cars and give you attitude when you book in for warranty repaired and when i go collect the car i ask what did you repaired under warranty the reply were "go home and read for yourself" then i raise my voice and told her if you dont have time to explain to ME the CUSTOMER about the work carry out on MY car,i am sure the manager will have time for me she change her attitude very fast and pretend to be helpful but you can clearly tell she know nothing about cars (makes me wonder why she is working in a car dealership) so i left it at that.

when you have a problem with toyota dealer over warranty works on your car,the only person to blame are the service manager and no one else .

K19NE G TTE parts are fine no need to take them off. :)

im behind ya t128... you have spoken exactly my own thoughts.. :thumbsup:

by the way, i asked my dealer to source me TTE springs and back box, ... no problem , but stated that TTE parts are no longer exempt from warranty penalties... even if they fitted them for labour charge of £500+ !!!! :eek::eek:

anything deemed as a knock on problem from modifycation is not covered!!!

im leaving mine as it is.. :censor: ... still got 3 years warranty! ITS A GOOD JOB REALLY.... :thumbsup:

by the way,  i asked my dealer to source me TTE springs and back box, ... no problem , but stated that TTE parts are no longer exempt from warranty penalties... even if they fitted them for labour charge of £500+ !!!!  :eek:  :eek:

anything deemed as a knock on problem from modifycation is not covered!!!

im leaving mine as it is..  :censor: ... still got 3 years warranty!  ITS A GOOD JOB REALLY....  :thumbsup:

bert i think you should phone toyota GB and found out for sure dont believe 100% toyota dealer say they do come out with bulls sometime .

i like to know whats going to happen with the cts's already fitted TTE parts and have 1,2 or 3 year warranty left,can toyota GB change the condition's of the warranty whenever they feel like ?.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links