Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

E12 Rolla Sr

G79

Hi my fellow Rolla supporters. This is my first post ever in your wonderful online community and I was wondering if you would be able to help me.

I currenlty drive a E12 Rolla 1.4 T3 on a 04 plate (facelift) and I'm thinking of getting an SR for my next car. I want to keep it for 5+yrs and modify it as I go along.

My main question is really, which one should I go for, the Petrol or the Diesel? Which one will offer me better options for improving performance? And what can I expect to get out of it (performance wise)? I understand that when you start playing with the performance this will void you waranty so I'm looking for a plan really, what can I do to start with (IE what can be taken off should it need to be) and what can I do that will be in the future once the waranty has run out?

I'd also like to add bodykit, upgrade the internal audio and really anything else you guys can think of.

Many Thanks

G

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• G79

• normal bloke

• smoftah

• DaveSR

wouldnt a colour collection be a better deal than an SR ? unless u really want a different colour?

petrol/diesel is as much personal choice as anything, and real benefits of diesel are fuel use which only pays for itself at high miles, so the obvious question is how many miles do you think you will do?

wouldnt a colour collection be a better deal than an SR ? unless u really want a different colour?

petrol/diesel is as much personal choice as anything, and real benefits of diesel are fuel use which only pays for itself at high miles, so the obvious question is how many miles do you think you will do?

Hi Normal_Bloke,

I really want the SR becuase it looks soooo nice :-) and for the price you certainly are getting a nice looking motor (I'm young, what can I say lol) I want to get it in the Baleric Blue because it's Bright and stands out. In terms of millage, I think I will be clocking up a reasonable amout of mile, at the moment I average about 1000 miles a month, but if I should get a new job this will increase as I will have to be out and about more. What I really would like to know is which is better/cheaper/easier to tune.

Many Thanks

G

looks?

a set of T Sport wheels from a write off, and a spoiler for a few hundred quid? + collection = lots cheaper than an SR for not much difference?

Petrol if tuning is the only issue

Hi normal_bloke,

It would be cheaper, but then you would have to take into account all the other features which you get on the SR which you don't get on the Colour Collection. I would much rather purchase the SR. So in your opinion it would be better to go for the petrol as that can be tuned up to a greater degree than the desiel.

Many Thanks

G

re "all the other features" what else is on the SR other than different wheels and a spoiler that a collection has not got? apart from badges?

yep petrol

I've a 1.6 petrol SR in Silver Steel. The additions compared to a Colour Collections are:

Rear TTE spoiler

Front spoiler

16" (Old) T-sport wheels

Tinted rear windows

I managed to get if for less than the book price on a new Colour Collection (July 2006 pricelist), with a decent trade in on my pre-facelift E12 T3 Style-Collection.

Performance wise it's just the bog-standard 1.6 engine, but it's a match for most similar "fake" sporty models (Civic Type S for example).

If you're after the Balearic Blue, then obviously you have no choice other than the SR. That was my original plan, but due to pending MOT etc. on my old car I had no choice other than going for Silver Steel as the lead on the blue was something like 8 weeks.

I'd get the diesel, i think the drive is better than the petrol. low down torque makes a difference. I would say the following though. if you are going to keep the car for five years, just buy the car you really want and don't mod it. it'll work out cheaper in the long run.

get the SR, u get the front skirt too!

i got mine cheaper than the colour collection... at that time SR was going for £14495...i had a easy 11% discount this was back in june.

get the diesel and u can tune it to 146bhp 'powerklick'

2 sets of 8000k hids, one for standard lights one for fog lights:-P

set of led sidelights.

Boom....ur sorted!

buy my car...hint hint

you get a discount on a collection too!

lot of money to pay for some window tint and spoiler if you ask me!

Hi Guys,

Thank you for the feedback :) The thing is, I want a 5-door for practicality sake, although the 3-door does look much more sporty.

In terms of buying the T-Sport, well firstly is a £20k car and secondly it has a much higher insurance group, also the T-Sport is a 3-door. I haven't been driving for very long (6 months or so) although I have 3 yrs NCB on my motorbike I don't know if that would count towards my insurance (I'm currently insured under my mum lol).

With respect to buying a Colour Collection and then adding the addition bodywork/window tinting, will this not then count as a modified car and as such increase my insurance premiums? Also take into account time to fit parts (as I'd want to do it as cheap as poss), then you've got spraying on-top of that. In terms of differences between colour collection and SR, the SR has (above the colour collection):

Fascia - Brushed Metalic Effect

Rear TTE Spoiler

Front Bumper extension (sport look)

Tinted windows (rear)

16" Wheels (15" in Colour)

Plus the only car you can get in Baleric Blue is the SR

The thing is I plan on upgrading the audio in the car (and not scrimpin on it either), and modifying it so that it is as unique as possible (for me), my main concern is performance though, I don't mind spending money on a car which I'm going to keep for a long time.

Sorry for the long post and thank you for you feedback. Has anyone done any performance mods on Petrol/Diesel engines and what sort of results have you had?

Many Thanks

G

Thanks iLLestJT

146bhp eh, I take you have tuned your car up then? (looking at the hint hint lol) what sorta MPG do you get with it when its tuned, how fast does it go? Where did you buy ur rolla from and how much of a discount did you get and how the heck did ya get it?

I really want the SR... its the nuts :)

G

different wheels, new spoiler(s), and mild window tint at back will count as changes needing to informed to insurance, but modest stuff they are used to, and you should be able to get a reasonable quote

this is minor compared to change in insurance once you start tuning the engine

friendly bodyshop should be able to sort out spoiler(s) for buttons compared to extra price of SR, similar you will find window tint can be done professionally for much less than extra cost of SR

if you really want that colour and cannot get it on a collection then fair enough get an SR, but do the science on how much extra you are paying for that colour over silver/black

Bigger wheels/thinner tyres will be crap over speed bumps etc

But horses for courses, its your money at the end of the day spend it anyway you want

PS

Re "Fascia - Brushed Metalic Effect" my collection has this so SR will not be any different

Hi Normal Bloke

I've just had a look at the toyota web site and there is infact only £900 difference between the colour collection and the SR, so for £900 your getting all those extras, I somehow doubt you could get all those extras for less than £900. If there was a greater difference in price then your method would be more attractive, but considering is in fact such a little amount of money, I think I will stick with the SR. Thank you for your feedback though

G

hi m8, if u want to tune the car, id think the diesel actually has more tuning parts for it, i hav the 1.6 petrol and no tuning parts for my car, not even a induction kit, but they do a induction kit for the 1.4, wots that all about.

heres some photos of my car, its a colour collection, but with the TTE spoiler, TTE front lip, TTE exhaust etc

cw007si4.jpg

cw019ti8.jpg

Hey there Ckman85,

Wow, nice ride... how much did it cost you to purchase and spray your extra parts [TTE Spoiler, TTE Front Lip]? And have you looked into the pricing for gettin your windows tinted? Ooo, just noticed the TTE front lip is different from the one standard on the SR. How much did the exhaust cost ya and did you find any performance gain from putting it on??

Cheers

G

well the brokers are doing a 5dr 1.6 manual collection for 11,215.00 quid

the option pack (spoiler and reversing sensors) is 450.00 at list price, you can get this discounted to 400.00 quid

People here are talking of getting an SR discounted to the list price of a collection which is 12,394, so difference is 1,179

and i got mine cheaper than the broker price from a dealer, so it is possible

but good luck however you want to spend your money

Hi normal bloke,

Don't get me wrong, I do want best value for money, and if I can get the car looking the way I want for less money than buying an SR then that would be much better. Could you tell me a little bit more about this broker (IE who it was) and how you managed to get your car cheaper than the broker price from a dealer? Also.. in theory, if I could get the SR cheaper from a broker, does that mean I could get it cheaper than the brokers price from a Dealer?

Also just noticed you can't get the spoiler + rear sensors if you choose the black.... grrr... if I was going with the colour collection thats the colour I want.. doh

Arrghhh... its certainly isn't straight forward lol

Cheers

G

Just did a quick search online for brokers.. found a Colour Collection D4D for £12,623 and the SR for £13,442.. again.. not much price difference there.. what am I missing?

Hey there Ckman85,

Wow, nice ride... how much did it cost you to purchase and spray your extra parts [TTE Spoiler, TTE Front Lip]? And have you looked into the pricing for gettin your windows tinted? Ooo, just noticed the TTE front lip is different from the one standard on the SR. How much did the exhaust cost ya and did you find any performance gain from putting it on??

Cheers

G

Thanks m8

i got the front lip for £99 from eBay, its actually for the pre facelift corolla, rear spoiler i got from dealer, i think it came to £200, i got the exhaust on eBay for £60, which is a BARGAIN and no u dnt feel n e performace gain, spraying the spoiler and front lip came to £200. ive probs saved a fortune by fitting the parts myself aswell, ive also lowered the car with TTE springs, which i got from eBay for £99. i actually want to get my windows tinted, but i havnt got n e quotes just yet and im not planning to get them tinted just yet, ive got other mods to b fitted 1st.

but like i said bfor, theirs hardly or even no tuning parts for the car, well not that i cud find n e way

www.drivethedeal.com are trustworthy and give the price i quoted, but there are many others

getting a lower price from dealer is all down to how good you are at negotiating, its hard but not impossible, and how close to their period end they are, try ringing round a few and making a definite offer for a few hundred quid less than you can get from the cheapest broker, dont act like a mug punter and want test rides etc make sure you have done all that beforehand, it is possible, applys to all cars

if you want the spoilers i wouldnt personally buy the option pack (although its probably less hassle, and easier to explain to insurance), find a good local body shop and get some quotes, have it done when you are on holiday anyway (or similar) and you wont miss the car, you will probably find there are a few body shops to which the main dealers sub much of their work anyways

Hi smoftah

So I take it you bought the SR then?

How much did you pay for toyota underseat sub and toyota tweeters and are they any good?

Motor looks good btw :)

G

Hi smoftah

So I take it you bought the SR then?

How much did you pay for toyota underseat sub and toyota tweeters and are they any good?

Motor looks good btw :)

G

thanks!

yeh it is a 2.0 D-4D sr, the engine is awesome so fast on the motorway. Had the car 4 months and done 8000 miles no troubles at all.

the sub was £230 fitted by toyota, and tweeters £37 fitted them myself it was very easy (£164 quoted to fit from toyota!!)

I have seen other sr's about the grey looks smart but the blue turns heads!

definately get the tweeters and i would look around for the another underseat sub as it is not the best in the world...but good enough.

Hi smoftah,

Cool, you got the diesel engine :) I think I will go for the diesel myself.. I love the SR it totally rocks :) And the Blue is by far the coolest colour IMO. Have a look at the link I posted a few posts ago, it links to some guys page on tunining diesels :-)

Could you put some picys up showing ur tweeters, I'd love to see where you've put them and how they look. With your sub, r u running the standard head unit then? I think if I get subs, I will prob go for a boot sub... then I can get a big sub lol.

Cheers mate

G

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links