Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Cant Change Gear

chatman

OK tale of Wo... :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby:

On way home yesterday RAV was making funny clanking sound when accelerating through gears 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc (more noticeable in lower gears)... sounded a bit like a blown exhaust in the car but out side, sounded like clanking and metallic rattling under the car in location of gear box...

Drove home fine as noise went away....

Today drove back to where I was finishing of a course (had exam toady) and noise came back again...seemed to drive ok and no stiffness in gears and changed all ok...noise was still there and a bit louder....

Well got two miles away from where I needed to be and suddenly unable to select any gears....very stiff and gear leaver not going in gear...no loss of power or high revs as DMF would suggest....As I was at that point in rush hour traffic in a middle of Stevenage, managed to get into first gear...and crawl to local ASDA.....Recovered back home on low loader again (spend more time on these lately :ffs: :ffs: :ffs: )

I think the gear linkage may have gone as I hear a metallic rattle when in gear (they do eventually go in but forced).

Anchorman if your on line any guidance and advise....Will be calling around garages tomorrow to get labour rates.....Called local Mr T in Letchworth and they said roughly £650 DMF and £200 for clutch....& £75 hour labour rates :eek: :eek: :eek: (just seeing cost's incase)

I don't think it's the DMF as I have not lost power, just cant select any gears.....

O I passed the course as well.................. :D :D :D :D

And this is making me not like the RAV any more....Third time it has stranded me... :censor: :censor: :censor: :censor: :censor:

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• chatman

• anchorman

• Fujisan

• dave.m

:o :o :o Uh Oh, could this be another one ? Hope not and its only a linkage or something mate. :thumbsup:

:o :o :o Uh Oh, could this be another one ? Hope not and its only a linkage or something mate. :thumbsup:

Year here's hoping....any one got ideas of cost.....Kingo you there..........

Hi mate, sorry to hear...

Like you I'm not sure it is the DMF but it's hard to tell without listening. It sounds like a spring has dropped out of the clutch driven plate and ended up in the pressure plate - a common old problem but less so now. It sometimes makes the clutch pedal feel stiff.

If it was the DMF you should still be able to get it cleanly into all gears. If it is the clutch then you should be able to get it into any gear with the engine stopped but then if you start it while in gear and your foot on the clutch it may lurch forward. The DMF tends to lose drive all together. If you still have trouble finding any gears with the engine stopped then it could be in the box itself. You can expect some gears to be awkward some of the time as you will inevitably try to engage some "tooth on tooth" but usually if you keep going through the gears they move a bit and then will engage. The linkage is cables and you should be able to see if any have come detached. At the gearbox end look to see if you can see both cable ends and make sure they are attached both to the gear selectors and that they are still anchored properly. It's hard for me to describe this better without some pictures but here are the linkages at the gearstick end. To see them you need only to prize the cover off at the back of the gaiter;

IMG_1120.jpg

When the back comes free then lift it slightly and pull it back towards the handbrake. This picture which is actually of the handbrake adjuster shows the ball joints in the background;

IMG_1119.jpg

The best picture I can find of the gearbox end is this from my old Corolla;

toyotagbox0004.jpg

That is the linkage at the back with the rubber gaiter and the red dots. The second one is just slightly lower in the foreground. Get somebody to move the gearstick for you. The are 2 cables one will move when the stick is moved left to right and the other when the stick is moved backward and forward. As I said be sure to check that the cables are anchored to the brackets. Then get your assistant to press the clutch and watch the slave cylinder move the release arm. On this box it is just to the lower left of the picture near the water hose but yours will at least look similar. I doubt the slave cylinder has gone or the pedal will feel very light to press.

To do any of the jobs except the cables it will be gearbox out so expect it to be expensive. A clutch and DMF kit is available for £695 and I would fit both if the DMF is proven faulty. If it is just the clutch then you should be able to get one from a motor factor for less than £100 but the labour is the killer unless you are feeling adventurous enough to DIY! However, there are good independants that will charge considerably less than £75+VAT an hour. The typical cost of Toyota doing the DMF is £1600 - £1800.

I can email the instructions for G'Box removal if you pm me your email address.

Keep your chin up mate.

Thanks Anchorman for the feed back and detailed pictures.....

I believe it is some linkage issue as the pedal feels fine when engine off, no soft feeling or sinking to floor.. When you start engine it gets hard to select gears...they will go in but very stiff after a while... Recovery guy drove RAV on/off the low loader but it was the metallic rattling sound I cant figure out what that is.... Cant see under vehicle properly as under trays in way...and not being mechanically minded have no idea what to look for...noise is coming from gear box area and not engine bay....

Will call garage that fixed last problem today and then get RAV delivered there for diagnostics.....then :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby:

Sorry Chatman I missed your thread yesterday. Keep me up to speed, if anything needs pricing let me know, or if you need and further info

Kingo :thumbsup:

Bye bye of to garage... :( :( Awaiting diagnoses of problem and inpending ££££££ :crybaby: :crybaby:

SickRAV.jpg

:crybaby::crybaby: thats a sorry sight. :(

I don't like to say it but I'm fearing the worst :(

Kingo

Yes the rattling is a worry................

Kingo

Thanks guy's.................

Still awaiting autopsy outcome.... :( :( :( :(

Sounded awful when he drove it onto the low loader..... :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby:

for what its worth, we've a problem with the clutch on the RAV. Making funny noise which has been getting louder when doing initial testing. As its the original gearbox which was fine, and the gearbox has just been mated up to the turbo engine, we reckon its a spring broken in what was the MR2 clutch which is causing the clutch to slip and make odd nasty noises.

The gearbox was to be dropped this week but will be next week.... I believe dropping the gearbox is a fairly straightforward job. Then depends on wots wrong.

I'll wait with interest on wots wrong with yours.

(translated for ease)

Very sorry to hear you sad news Chatman :(

Been busy the last couple of days, so just catching up now and was shocked to see your RAV on the back of a low-loader.

You must be absolutely gutted.

Your description of the problem sounds horrendous, especially the metallic rattle.

I truely hope your car is sorted soon mate and it doesn't leave you too out of pocket.

I wish I could be of more help.

Congradulations on passing the exam :thumbsup:

Cheers Fuji....To say my mind was on something else on that day.....and the thought of this exam as well.....(Project Management stuff)

Any way back to topic.......Garage called today and said need to remove gear box to get to see in side.. :unsure::unsure: ..As RAV changes gear fine when not started...But when started no gears select...So gave go ahead to remove and then tell me what's acually wrong once they have diagnosed it...So It's looking like a Clutch most defiantly and then possible the dredded DMF as well.....quoted me about 9 hours labour but thankfully not at Mr T prices ;) will negotiate on the parts once I know what it needs......

Still not a happy bunny....Wife now hates the RAV :ffs: :ffs: can't use her exact words on here :!Removed!: ...So I'm off now to re-edit my letter to Santa....

Chatman - just add my sympathies.

For what it's worth just looked through the "symptoms table" in the 4.2 docs I have and it reckons control cable (obviously not that now) or synchroniser ring or shift key spring (both inside gearbox I think).

That probably doesn't help much does it? and I've also no idea how likely one of those faults is. I'm sure one of the top mechanical experts on here will be able to comment.

Anyway, I'm sure the garage or previously mentioned persons on here are more likely to get the diagnosis right than a "symptoms table".

Just thought I'd mention what I'd seen.

Cheers

Hi Chatman,

Gutted for you m8. :(

Couldn't have come at a better time for you I'm sure (not that any time would suit!), what with Crimbo just around the corner and all of the extra cost that entails!

Hope it's not as serious as it's sounding, and that you start enjoying the once lovely relationship you had with the Rav again soon!!

And whatever you do, no matter how sad / angry / dissilusioned you get, don't go anywhere near a Honda dealers.............. :P

Cheers.

Paul.

Any way back to topic.......Garage called today and said need to remove gear box to get to see in side.. :unsure::unsure: ..As RAV changes gear fine when not started...But when started no gears select...So gave go ahead to remove and then tell me what's acually wrong once they have diagnosed it...So It's looking like a Clutch most defiantly and then possible the dredded DMF as well.....quoted me about 9 hours labour but thankfully not at Mr T prices ;) will negotiate on the parts once I know what it needs......

Still not a happy bunny....Wife now hates the RAV :ffs: :ffs: can't use her exact words on here :shutit: ...So I'm off now to re-edit my letter to Santa....

:eek: That doesn't sound good :(

I can understand your wife's feelings....it's horrible when a car you loved, let's you down.

Write a very nice letter to Santa and see what turns up :thumbsup:

Whatever you do now is going to be expensive so don't do anything rash as you will have just created a very good buy for somebody else.

It will soon be sorted and then you can be friends with it again ;)

Anyway what will you do with your spare time, trawl through the Pug 206 CC owners club? Think about it you'll miss us :bye:

Hey....Hold on Chatman,

Remember......Only RAV's on that list to Santa, T180 (with spare tyre) at the top of the list :lol::lol::lol:

Anyway what will you do with your spare time, trawl through the Pug 206 CC owners club? Think about it you'll miss us :bye:

ha ha :lol::lol: that's so quite on the pug-cc.com you end up answering your own topics :unsure::unsure:

Your not getting rid of me that quick...Just feeling a bit down at the moment as the RAV is as they say "Off Road" :rolleyes: only time I get to take it......

Any way where would I go for all the train banter and mickey tacking all in one place.....and don't worry sussex Paul..I'm pre-programed to stay clear of Honda dealers B) and not give the Ugly one a second glance (taken months of therapy and counselling after I parked next to one in a carpark :wacko::wacko: ) it was the only space left...... :yes:

Just wait again to see what they find once the gear box is off...I'm not going to spend ££££ then sell so quick....but were see....

Chatman, you cant go anywhere, look at your sig. :D :D :D

OK Update on my RAV....

Call from Garage and details of problems.

DMF (Dual Mass Fly Wheel) was smashed to bits :o (his words not mine) :eek: :eek: big hole in it. (asked to keep the parts so I will take some pictures).

Pin Plate Cover as when the DMF went it damaged this...Could use this old one but asked to change to new one.

New Clutch expecting this as it goes with the above.

Two Hub wheel nuts as well, may not be related to above. Oil and other sundries needed......

Labour and parts come's to a lot......... :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: (no where near Mr T prices though) :yes:

So may have her back by Friday or not...

My RAV is 5 years and 2 months old...so don't know where I stand with the DMF part Anchorman....is it worth me seeing what they will do...The garage called a Toyota dealer to get the parts (at thier cost not Toyota prices :yes: just as good as your Kingo ) and the dealer has never heard of any problems with DMF's in RAV's going wrong... :lol: :lol: :lol: Typical.....Garage know I'm part of TOC so new I would know more about them....Anyway Looks like we will be eating baked beans on toast for Christmas and playing with last years presents, just wrapped up in new wrapping paper...

Ouch :crybaby:

Your man at the garage sounds like a good un' :thumbsup: Hopefully he can have her fighting fit very soon :yes:

Beans on toast.....best meal invented :thumbsup: Got to be better than miles of Turkey that your sick of the sight of by Boxing Day :lol::lol:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links